News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2048840 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6700 on: June 30, 2020, 11:45:13 pm »
I would like to see someone finish up the abandoned Klonoa Heroes English translation hack.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #6701 on: July 01, 2020, 03:29:06 pm »
Castlevania: Byakuya no Concerto: Revenge on the Findesiecle. Add Simon's jump kick and slide animations from Harmony of Despair for Enhanced Simon.
"Genocide is just another game. It doesn't matter whether it's humans or Makai residents." - Yuuka Kazami

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6702 on: July 03, 2020, 01:08:48 am »
If translations are on the table for discussion, it would be nice to have more up to date translations for the SNES Dragon Quest games with the current names for characters, monsters, and spells, and hopefully a few bug fixes. I wouldn't mind a translation for the PS1 DQIV remake either.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: July 03, 2020, 08:18:25 am »
I would love to see somebody try and make an english patch for Mojipittan for the DS as well as for the GBA

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: July 03, 2020, 09:40:05 am »
I would love to see somebody try and make an english patch for Mojipittan for the DS as well as for the GBA

What would that look like (others playing along at home think Japanese scrabble, albeit one tile at a time)?

We could do a menu translation and call it a Japanese learning game. Limited audience (it is mostly kana based so I presume anybody capable of playing there can navigate a simple menu) but a viable option.

We could do a radical refactor of the lot, change it to English and do English words instead. Harder to keep the one tile at a time thing as well ( http://phrontistery.info/scrabble3.html ) but still an option. Personally I would backwards hack a game of scrabble instead, especially if it has some house rule/simplified options already present, or out and out write some homebrew.

Halfway and change it to romaji (possibly with whatever kana it has still there as a dual tile affair... actually that might be a good way to learn) + menu but still with a Japanese dictionary. In before "what romaji method?" fight.

There are half a hundred things I can think of now pulling it in various directions towards any of those as well (selectable dual tile, time/score penalty if you hint the English characters, multiple versions to allow multiplayer at various difficulty levels, maybe some hinting...) but those can be discussed a bit later.

I sit here remembering all the various discussions people had when say a RPG has a language based magic or puzzle system and how they are going to tackle that in the translation; there is a reason anybody trying that in a game today will either use a simple runes/glyphs based system, a completely made up language (though possibly still with some grammar and sentence construction as seen in the base language of the programmers), or maybe quasi Latin/similar. That is just a simple magic system or puzzle system though, and you want to alter a game which has language as its base mechanic...

hsialin

• View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:34 pm »
Can we get someone to fix the menu corruption bugs in Alan Midas Sugoro Quest Dice Heroes? The 1st corruption happens on level 3 when the girl gives you the boat, the 2nd corruption happens early in level 4 if i remember correctly. Sugoro Quest is one of the best games for NES. Would be glad if someone could fix these bugs.

PS: this is not about the status screen bug, that was fixed by KingMike i believe.
These bugs i refer to are in the main game menu.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: July 03, 2020, 07:22:50 pm »
i wish someon would ad d-pad movement to Sonic Chronicles on the DS, it works terrifically for the 2 Zelda's that originally had stylus only controls

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: July 04, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
I doubt it will be me doing it any time soon but the guy that did the dpad hack for starfox (a similarly afflicted game) made a nice guide to it all
http://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: July 04, 2020, 12:06:30 pm »
Rom hack the US version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, now I know there's one out there called New Legacy, but that one's focused on 2 player competition. We need one that's made for the people that wanna play the single player mode, It's going to be a lot of text here, but hear me out. I got some good ideas that would make ST's single player more fun and less frustrating. 1.) Nerfed AI, we all know how frustrating it is even if the game is set to easy or normal, we gotta resort to exploits in order to beat them and that could be boring. In the older SFII versions, the AI wasn't bad and you could even land combos on them, but in ST you can't do this since the AI stuffs everything you do. 2.) Original color palettes for the "ST" mode characters when you hit LP on character select screen, the AI should use the original colors too. It sucks that only the "Old" characters get to have their original colors while the "ST" characters are stuck with different ones. 3.) Akuma selectable when you press the start button when picking Ryu, the Akuma code is a pain to get right every time you want to use him. 4.) Simplified motions for certain moves like in SSF2T HD Remix, what I mean by this? 360 and 720 motions could be half circle motions, the same could go for Cammy's hooligan throw and Fei Long's chicken wing. Guile and Vega's super motion could start with a down back charge and end with a Tiger Knee motion. 5.) Simplified super canceling, in the newer SF games, super canceling felt so smooth. For example, when you wanted to cancel a st.HP into a super, all you needed to do was hit st.HP and quickly perform super motion afterwards. In ST, you can't do this, you have to use some complicated methods to get super cancels off.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:53:02 pm by E.Signal »

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
« Reply #6709 on: July 04, 2020, 05:28:30 pm »
An english translation of Tales of Phantasia for the SNES, using the GBA and PSX versions' scripts as bases to go off of (GBA especially since it's more "official") and getting rid of any "trash" in the localizations, like unnecessary censoring and whatnot(I'm not aware if there is even any "trash" in the GBA localization, I just know some differences between it and the SNES.) So I'm talkin' from the ground up using a (Japan) ROM.
And I DO know that the SNES fan translation was a bit..."bold" with the liberties it took. I like playing the SNES version over the GBA, but the GBA's script I find to be, like I said before, more "official" if anything.
I'm indifferent about the name differences, but wanting to change the names to their official counterparts is what brought about this idea in the first place. (Cless>Cress, Klarth>Claus, etc.)

I tried to start it, using DeJap's translation as a base, however I couldn't even create a .tbl file, and looking further into it, apparently the text is ultra-compressed. I've never translated a snes game in my life, and I definitely don't even know how to start. My only experience is using tools to make minor text edits and using tile editors to make slight graphical changes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:26:35 pm by NonagonGoron »

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #6710 on: July 04, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
I would like to see a translation for Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, I wanna know why Rick Flair is a crazy murderer! 😱😱😱

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: July 04, 2020, 08:58:30 pm »
I doubt it will be me doing it any time soon but the guy that did the dpad hack for starfox (a similarly afflicted game) made a nice guide to it all
http://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html

wow, i wish someone would make an entry for that on this site, or compile a list of ALL the DS games that have such patches, i didnt even know this one existed (actually didnt realize it was a dpad-less game to begin with)

super cool

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: July 04, 2020, 09:23:28 pm »
You know what would be sweet?
If some one make a overhaul hack of DK for the Game Boy and change it into deluxe port of Sunsoft's Kangaroo

July 04, 2020, 09:37:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
LGR did an episode on SEGA PC's localization of The Tower II called "Yoot Tower"
He had problems with the PC version which you will find out on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNECXCd9iU
The meat and potatoes here is the PC version needs some fixing up and this is where you could help him
Remove the load and save glitch from the PC/Windows version
Find a way to make the japan exclusive content from "The Tower II" (patches and all) cross-compatible with Yoot Tower or alternatively, add the patches and expansions to game
Translate the expansion packs of The Tower II and make them compatible with Yoot Tower (or patch the fan translated expansions into the Y.T.)
and If possible, Perhaps make a tool to make new fake films and banners for Yoot Tower
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:37:49 pm by CyberFox »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: July 04, 2020, 10:58:08 pm »
wow, i wish someone would make an entry for that on this site, or compile a list of ALL the DS games that have such patches, i didnt even know this one existed (actually didnt realize it was a dpad-less game to begin with)

super cool

It is pretty much the Zeldas in a few forms (no reason not to go with the Greiga Master offerings today, though https://github.com/StraDaMa/Legend-of-Zelda-Phantom-Hourglass-D-Pad-Patch could be of interest to a handful of people and maybe you doing a hack for the game you wanted), Starfox, technically some patches to castlevania to remove the seals and ice nonsense (few different choices there), rhythm heaven ( http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4824/ ) and possibly the minor mod to trauma centre to swap tools via buttons (obviously the game is still about about the touchscreen but I can see that being welcome, especially if you come from the Wii). Some were also distributed as cheats as well, had a quick scan of an old database and other than Starfox and Zelda there might be one for that Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road game.

There are a few other button hacks but they are more remapping, or things like guitar hero dodging the GBA slot addon or controlling the pokemon typing game over network, a few games being hacked to use the little twisty slider paddle controller thing (most probably going for Mario Kart) and any number of cheats using button combos to do nice things. If we are going with the "touchscreen and microphone gimmicks suck, especially forced ones" then Puyo Pop fever's mic thing was kicked in the head by http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2298/

Not sure what became of the release stored item with button combo thing someone was trying for New Super Mario Brothers DS once.

Most of the time after the initial push and Nintendo calmed down on the "you absolutely must use the touchscreen and mic gimmick" the devs either stopped with it, made it optional (touchscreen is great for menus, maps, inventory and screen picking, such that I miss it on newer devices without such options, but you can still chuck a cursor on the dpad and kick a button over), or made the entire game actually revolve around it such that changing would be hard (see some of the DS touchscreen based puzzle games that got backported as late stage GBA titles... dark times there)... indeed if you can tell me a way to plausibly play doodle hex with a dpad then I will be thoroughly impressed.

Or if you prefer this is probably the first such request I have seen in some years, and most of those were either refinements/different mappings to existing ones (patches or people wanting more refined touchscreen for those games with it out of the box-- see mario 64 DS), workarounds for broken devices or maybe a different region, maybe a mapping option for emulators without a mouse (though most of those are content enough with the ones made) and not much else. The only one I had lingering in my head really was that advance wars download play minigame and nobody really likes the minigame enough to warrant that, not to mention prior to more recent stuff where the RSA signing was defeated it would have had a very limited audience even then. That or coming the other way and making advance wars work better with touchscreen but that is a different topic.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6714 on: July 05, 2020, 04:11:18 pm »
With Beavis and Butt-head on the SNES resuming the game via a password starts you off with one life and very little health. I'm thinking perhaps one could fix this and have the passwords start you with at least three lives and full health. Also give Beavis and Butt-head separate health bars.

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: July 06, 2020, 05:15:10 am »
I saw this just a few minutes ago: https://youtu.be/JM4QyMYfRI4
Obviously it's a fake, but with a lot of work, the NES game would look exactly the same :laugh:

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: July 06, 2020, 10:34:47 am »
Since Mega Man and Bass and the Mega Man X games all have hacks to get rid of double-tap to dash (https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29811.0)
it would be great to have this for Mega Man Xtreme 1 and 2 for the Game Boy Color.

edit: It would also be amazing to be able to put dash on the start button for Xtreme 2 like it was in the first game, but I imagine this would be much harder to do. After playing the game a bit, I realize that without a button that specifically does the dash like Xtreme 1, you wouldn't be able to perform a dash-jump if double-tap to dash is removed, as you can't seem to dash-jump with down+jump in that game. That means it's pretty much pointless to get rid of double-tap to dash without adding a new button for the dash function that works with dash-jumping, sadly.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:06:32 pm by zefmc »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: July 06, 2020, 07:57:42 pm »
is there a way to easily put the script of Super Mario 64 into the Super Mario 64 Shindo Edition rom,

basically it's SM64 with rumble, and it's much nicer

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: July 06, 2020, 09:26:32 pm »
is there a way to easily put the script of Super Mario 64 into the Super Mario 64 Shindo Edition rom,

basically it's SM64 with rumble, and it's much nicer

For most Mario 64 hacking purposes these days you will probably be pointed at the source code that was reverse engineered a while back.

Looking at https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_64_(Nintendo_64)/Regional_and_Version_Differences#Shindou_Pak_Taiou_Version you could probably replicate most of those in fairly short order with the code where the might be more annoying to replicate as a more traditional ROM hack.

Edit. Probably should not write things at 2 in the morning. Anyway while I would probably still opt to backport things to the source code if it is just text then that is probably going to be easy enough to do (especially if it is that similar).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:32:42 pm by FAST6191 »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: July 06, 2020, 11:20:50 pm »
Can some one translate Rockman L (last) on NES please to english i do think its a good mega man hack.