News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2703756 times)

NES Boy

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6680 on: June 27, 2020, 05:55:04 am »
Recently it came out Namco Museum Archives Vol 1 and 2.
Vol 1 includes a "demake" of Pac-Man Championship Edition for NES (it's an actual NES rom).
The thing is that it has a Normal mode of 5 minutes and an Extra mode (my favourite) of 3 minutes.
Would be possible to edit the game so Extra mode has 5 minutes too?

I also have a request regarding Pac-Man Championship Edition for NES. In the original Xbox 360 game it was based on, after eating all the dots on one side of the maze, that side goes dark as the fruit appears on the opposite side of the maze. Upon eating that fruit, the layout for the dark side of the maze changes and it shines bright, before becoming normally lit again. In the NES version, however, nothing happens to the side of the maze upon eating all of its dots until you eat the fruit, afterwards the layout changes, but it goes dark, then bright.

Here are two videos so you can look at what I'm talking about: one for the Xbox 360 game, and  one for the NES port.

What I'd like is to see is the original Xbox 360 behavior restored in the NES version.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: June 27, 2020, 07:53:02 pm »
Looking back at the Disney Magical Quest games on SNES and GBA, I noticed one thing that should have been done. On the second game, on the SNES, it was titled Great Circus Mystery and even though the third game got translated, it didn't have a unique title like Circus Mystery/Magical Quest 2 did. I was wondering if a new title could be implemented on the 3rd game or, if you wanna keep it in consistency, have the second title on the SNES version change back to Magical Quest 2, but in English like they had with the GBA port. Thought I'd ask
I can think of one good reason for them to have chosen a different title: that the second game was the only one released on Genesis. (that probably isn't the likely reason they chose to rebrand it, but it is one plausible.)
The first game was announced, but we can only imagine they canceled it due to its proximity to the development of the second game. Even if Capcom was already making a name for itself as the reheated sequel master, that might have been a bit too daring for them to release them months apart. :D
(though in defense, at least unlike say Imagineering, they produced games worth rehashing :) )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: June 28, 2020, 09:24:19 am »
It would be nice if someone did a overhaul hack of the NES port of Donkey Kong and made a NES port of Sunsoft's "Kangaroo" arcade game
and i don't mean just a direct fanmade conversion, I wanna see it with more levels and some nods to the "Saturday Supercade" TV adaptation of the game

wiiluvglover64

• View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: June 29, 2020, 12:30:02 am »
star fox 64 console compatible coop

new star fox 64 campaign with new levels new story, new voice over.

fox in space ROM hack for n64 based on the youtube cartoon 'fox in space' based on star fox.

star fox 64 ROM hack with new levels and texture change to have the graphics and ship models from star fox snes.

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: June 29, 2020, 02:10:11 am »
The Japanese version of Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts have characters based on Konami games (since both games were published by Konami in Japan) and that was the idea during the localization, infact it was actually localized by Koji "IGA" Igarashi, whom is the producer of the Castlevania series at the time, that's why I hope someone makes a hack of the original US and European versions of the games to include them (and why I want to add them).

*Solid Snake, Big Boss, Old Snake (MGS) (Removed in Super Scribblenauts)
*Goemon and Ebisumaru (from Ganbare Goemon, because recently SNES Goemon games have been translated, and Ebisu was removed in Super)
*Alucard (because IGA)
*Power Pro-Kun (because of the recent Pawapuro game that came out on the Switch along with Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2019)
*Shiori Fukisaki (from the first TokiMemo, and due to its inclusion in the PC-Engine Mini due to the included bonus games)
*Takane Manaka (LovePlus)
*Mimi and Nyami (Pop'n Music)
*Vic Viper (Gradius)
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: June 29, 2020, 11:03:54 pm »
I looked back at the Cyber City Oedo 808 anime and it got me thinking how underrated this OVA series was, especially its game. I really hope someone does a translation (probably with a fandub that's kind of similar to the English UK dub).

fooness

• View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: June 30, 2020, 08:31:11 am »
Improvement for: Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana

There’s something visual that always bugged me very lots when playing Seiken Densetsu 3 … maybe someone here knows why this is the case, and maybe this could even be fixed. And I’m not talking about the menu, don’t get me started … that’s probably the very worst part of Seiken Densetsu 3 though I fear this cannot be fixed as it would probably be a hell of a job.

The second party member’s HP/MP/etc is aligned to the very right border of the screen. The third party member’s HP/MP/etc has some space (padding?) to the left border of the screen (which looks very much better). Do you think it would be possible to move that second player’s HP/MP/etc some bit to the left?

EDIT: Same is true for the shop menu, the GP/money box on the left, and Buy/Sell/Back selection menu on the right, as well as some yes/no boxes on the left (“Sent to storage?”, “Purchase this armor/weapon a second time?”). I can think of other occurences of boxes aligned too far to the right border of the screen, e.g. the ship menu (which port, yes/no) … and probably there’s one or two more.

PS: This was cross-posted on the Sin of Mana forums.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:29:02 am by fooness »

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: June 30, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »
Here's an improvement patch idea. In Soul Blazer for the SNES add in the ability to walk diagonally.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: June 30, 2020, 11:45:13 pm »
I would like to see someone finish up the abandoned Klonoa Heroes English translation hack.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6689 on: July 01, 2020, 03:29:06 pm »
Castlevania: Byakuya no Concerto: Revenge on the Findesiecle. Add Simon's jump kick and slide animations from Harmony of Despair for Enhanced Simon.
Bottom Text

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6690 on: July 03, 2020, 01:08:48 am »
If translations are on the table for discussion, it would be nice to have more up to date translations for the SNES Dragon Quest games with the current names for characters, monsters, and spells, and hopefully a few bug fixes. I wouldn't mind a translation for the PS1 DQIV remake either.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: July 03, 2020, 08:18:25 am »
I would love to see somebody try and make an english patch for Mojipittan for the DS as well as for the GBA

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: July 03, 2020, 09:40:05 am »
I would love to see somebody try and make an english patch for Mojipittan for the DS as well as for the GBA

What would that look like (others playing along at home think Japanese scrabble, albeit one tile at a time)?

We could do a menu translation and call it a Japanese learning game. Limited audience (it is mostly kana based so I presume anybody capable of playing there can navigate a simple menu) but a viable option.

We could do a radical refactor of the lot, change it to English and do English words instead. Harder to keep the one tile at a time thing as well ( http://phrontistery.info/scrabble3.html ) but still an option. Personally I would backwards hack a game of scrabble instead, especially if it has some house rule/simplified options already present, or out and out write some homebrew.

Halfway and change it to romaji (possibly with whatever kana it has still there as a dual tile affair... actually that might be a good way to learn) + menu but still with a Japanese dictionary. In before "what romaji method?" fight.

There are half a hundred things I can think of now pulling it in various directions towards any of those as well (selectable dual tile, time/score penalty if you hint the English characters, multiple versions to allow multiplayer at various difficulty levels, maybe some hinting...) but those can be discussed a bit later.

I sit here remembering all the various discussions people had when say a RPG has a language based magic or puzzle system and how they are going to tackle that in the translation; there is a reason anybody trying that in a game today will either use a simple runes/glyphs based system, a completely made up language (though possibly still with some grammar and sentence construction as seen in the base language of the programmers), or maybe quasi Latin/similar. That is just a simple magic system or puzzle system though, and you want to alter a game which has language as its base mechanic...

hsialin

• View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:34 pm »
Can we get someone to fix the menu corruption bugs in Alan Midas Sugoro Quest Dice Heroes? The 1st corruption happens on level 3 when the girl gives you the boat, the 2nd corruption happens early in level 4 if i remember correctly. Sugoro Quest is one of the best games for NES. Would be glad if someone could fix these bugs.

PS: this is not about the status screen bug, that was fixed by KingMike i believe.
These bugs i refer to are in the main game menu.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: July 03, 2020, 07:22:50 pm »
i wish someon would ad d-pad movement to Sonic Chronicles on the DS, it works terrifically for the 2 Zelda's that originally had stylus only controls

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: July 04, 2020, 07:53:09 am »
I doubt it will be me doing it any time soon but the guy that did the dpad hack for starfox (a similarly afflicted game) made a nice guide to it all
http://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: July 04, 2020, 12:06:30 pm »
Rom hack the US version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, now I know there's one out there called New Legacy, but that one's focused on 2 player competition. We need one that's made for the people that wanna play the single player mode, It's going to be a lot of text here, but hear me out. I got some good ideas that would make ST's single player more fun and less frustrating. 1.) Nerfed AI, we all know how frustrating it is even if the game is set to easy or normal, we gotta resort to exploits in order to beat them and that could be boring. In the older SFII versions, the AI wasn't bad and you could even land combos on them, but in ST you can't do this since the AI stuffs everything you do. 2.) Original color palettes for the "ST" mode characters when you hit LP on character select screen, the AI should use the original colors too. It sucks that only the "Old" characters get to have their original colors while the "ST" characters are stuck with different ones. 3.) Akuma selectable when you press the start button when picking Ryu, the Akuma code is a pain to get right every time you want to use him. 4.) Simplified motions for certain moves like in SSF2T HD Remix, what I mean by this? 360 and 720 motions could be half circle motions, the same could go for Cammy's hooligan throw and Fei Long's chicken wing. Guile and Vega's super motion could start with a down back charge and end with a Tiger Knee motion. 5.) Simplified super canceling, in the newer SF games, super canceling felt so smooth. For example, when you wanted to cancel a st.HP into a super, all you needed to do was hit st.HP and quickly perform super motion afterwards. In ST, you can't do this, you have to use some complicated methods to get super cancels off.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:53:02 pm by E.Signal »

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: July 04, 2020, 05:28:30 pm »
An english translation of Tales of Phantasia for the SNES, using the GBA and PSX versions' scripts as bases to go off of (GBA especially since it's more "official") and getting rid of any "trash" in the localizations, like unnecessary censoring and whatnot(I'm not aware if there is even any "trash" in the GBA localization, I just know some differences between it and the SNES.) So I'm talkin' from the ground up using a (Japan) ROM.
And I DO know that the SNES fan translation was a bit..."bold" with the liberties it took. I like playing the SNES version over the GBA, but the GBA's script I find to be, like I said before, more "official" if anything.
I'm indifferent about the name differences, but wanting to change the names to their official counterparts is what brought about this idea in the first place. (Cless>Cress, Klarth>Claus, etc.)

I tried to start it, using DeJap's translation as a base, however I couldn't even create a .tbl file, and looking further into it, apparently the text is ultra-compressed. I've never translated a snes game in my life, and I definitely don't even know how to start. My only experience is using tools to make minor text edits and using tile editors to make slight graphical changes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:26:35 pm by NonagonGoron »

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: July 04, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
I would like to see a translation for Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, I wanna know why Rick Flair is a crazy murderer! 😱😱😱

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: July 04, 2020, 08:58:30 pm »
I doubt it will be me doing it any time soon but the guy that did the dpad hack for starfox (a similarly afflicted game) made a nice guide to it all
http://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html

wow, i wish someone would make an entry for that on this site, or compile a list of ALL the DS games that have such patches, i didnt even know this one existed (actually didnt realize it was a dpad-less game to begin with)

super cool