News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1959646 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6620 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:25 pm »
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Force TV color mode.

FFTA has three color modes.  The first two are made to counteract the dark screen of the original GBA screen.  The third "TV Mode" was a forward-thinking measure to make the game not ugly when played on DS or Gameboy Player.

I would love to have a version of the game that boots with TV Mode activated by default.
While I am not sure that is a good way to go if it is something you want then OK. Assuming the game does not give you an option in the menu somewhere you can fake out the flag for (this sort of thing you can find with cheats, just flick between the options and compare, maybe throw in some leave it the same and look for anything that did not change, worst case you have to flick between options, press OK to confirm your selection/get back to menu and then compare) then GB player detection is not that complicated

http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbagameboyplayer
https://www.caitsith2.com/gba_video_arv3.htm

It should be easy enough to make a breakpoint setup to look for that, and it will probably be near boot as well.

At that point follow through and you then either get to trip the if if else type check to always take the GB player path (might even just need some NOPs, though a jump might also be in order) or see what the end result is (possibly a flag in memory) and set that with cheat, or possibly hardpatch it in with something like GBAATM. If you are really bored you might also be able to fiddle with the flag detection in memory.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6621 on: May 22, 2020, 09:43:23 pm »
Would a Hyperstone Heist music restoration be too much to ask? If the game must reuse the soundtrack, I'd be happier for it to actually sound like Turtles in Time, rather than an off key imitation.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: May 23, 2020, 06:30:35 am »
I think the music in Hyperstone Heist sounds more like the arcade version of Turtles in Time, maybe a ROM hack to fix the music up a bit to make it sound closer to the arcade game.

OutRun (3DS & Switch): A graphics hack that will restore the original appearance of the car where it looked like the Ferrari Testarossa Spider:

They're great ports, but it's not the same without the Testarossa. Hopefully this is possible to make.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 05:00:55 am by SCD »

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: May 23, 2020, 11:34:02 pm »

Hack idea:

Hack of Royal Rumble for Sega Genesis with Ultimate Warrior. I would be willing to do the sprite work for him. He could just use Crush's theme song and Jim Duggan's moves.

Janagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: May 25, 2020, 09:16:37 am »
Hi members,
my idea will sound very strange to you, but I'll try it because it would be super for me.
My problem is that I'm totally blind and I have no sight. But it's still possible for me to play video games, but only 2d fighting like mortal kombat (which I love most) or street fighter.
As I looked through the hacks I found many for super mario kart for snes and I think three for mario kart 64 for the n64.
Now my idea: wouldn't it be possible to create a patch for the called two games so that the games are accessible for blind persons? The kart you are driving had to steer itself only. Or another choice, the tracks had to be straight. And perhaps a sound to know that I'm ready to fire on an opponent.

Do you think that would be possible? I really would love playing such games if it would be possible.

Thanks,
Janagirl!

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6625 on: May 25, 2020, 10:49:30 am »
Hi members,
my idea will sound very strange to you, but I'll try it because it would be super for me.
My problem is that I'm totally blind and I have no sight. But it's still possible for me to play video games, but only 2d fighting like mortal kombat (which I love most) or street fighter.
As I looked through the hacks I found many for super mario kart for snes and I think three for mario kart 64 for the n64.
Now my idea: wouldn't it be possible to create a patch for the called two games so that the games are accessible for blind persons? The kart you are driving had to steer itself only. Or another choice, the tracks had to be straight. And perhaps a sound to know that I'm ready to fire on an opponent.

Do you think that would be possible? I really would love playing such games if it would be possible.

Thanks,
Janagirl!
Hey Janagirl, that sounds like a wonderful idea! As a gamedev I often think about audio games. I once realized I could play Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA without looking at the screen, and that it was often easier this way. Sadly, I don't find many games like this.
I'm not very good at hacking the snes or n64, but hopefully someone takes on this task.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: May 25, 2020, 11:54:56 am »
Hi members,

Thanks,
Janagirl!

Didn't you have have a thread in another section where we contemplated that? http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30725.0 being it.

Mario kart would really not be my first choice of game to adapt like that, or if I did when I was done it would be rather different. Kicking control over to AI but leaving the weapons in the hand of a human is one thing (the games already have AI drivers), matching vectors and speeds to predict a collision and firing off an audio cue/rumble not much more, but so much of mario kart is almost a meta game revolving around sight/visuals. If you aspire to play against those with some sight or full sight then even worse.

Basic example being if I have a green shell (fires forwards/direction of cart or backwards, no homing options or auto aim) I might keep it if I see my opponent behind me has a red shell as the green will break it. Also if I see I am coming up for some boxes then I might choose to ditch it in the hope of getting something better.
If I have a star (limited run of invincibility, and will knock over anybody you hit during it, saving that they have a star active as well) I might well save it for a precarious point (which could be any number of things), in the scenario above I might also note my opponent has a star and if they are going to get hit will press it and make it pointless.
This could go on for a while and will end up way too numerous to reasonably do with audio and rumble cues. Most young kids I meet develop such strategies as well in short order so it is not even one of those "mere mortals can still have some fun" scenarios.

It could be stripped back to say red shells (homing missiles basically), stars/shields, and a few others but that, along with no control, would end up a radically different game and one I am not sure would be any fun at all. So few choices made, no great scope for timing/input perfection, not much in the way of other tests of skill and that is basically most of what we play non story games for. Fighting games on the other hand are basically move lists + counters to them you memorise with input as you choose moves accordingly, almost chess with a input accuracy/speed test, and that I can well get to being fun to play even if you can't see things.

There are driving games you can probably get something from (track racing you control speed for, rally driving where the copilot tells you upcoming turns) but Mario Kart is not something I can get to as being doable/meaningful results for this scenario, even in a "so I can still play with the kids or otherwise participate but still place low".

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: May 25, 2020, 03:55:49 pm »
This is a request from one of my subscribers:

"Make Goro taller" in Mortal Kombat II (NES bootleg)

That's out of my skills. However, this is a beloved franchise so, I trust someone will be interested in taking the project forward and of course, I offer my graphic skills to redraw the sprite if that person needs it.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:05 am »
Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure

I'm not sure how feasible would it be to turn a Sega 32X game into a Sega CD 32X hybrid, like Night Trap, but... It would be great to put the soundtrack of the Sega CD version of "Pitfall - The Mayan Adventure" into the Sega 32X version, which has the better color depth, animations and spritework.

Despite the game being released on everything, the only version to have the "best of both worlds" is the Windows 95 version which, while possible to setup on modern PCs, it's not very accessible. You have to set up compatibility modes, replace DLLs, get your controller recognized, setup a borderless window solution because a x64 equivalent of the DLL used for fullscreen doesn't exist, and either have a physical disc drive with the original disc or an specific older version of Daemon Tools to get the redbook audio CD recognized.

I wouldn't know if modding the Win 95 version to modern standards would be easier than hacking the Sega 32X version, but it seems to me that at this point emulation would make it more future proof than the Windows version.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: May 26, 2020, 11:13:31 pm »
If I think about playing Mario Kart without seeing it, there are just a few sounds that could make it feasible: a sound to indicate how far the kart is from the center of the road at the current location (and which side of center the kart is on); a sound to indicate which direction the road will soon be turning and the sharpness of the turn, proportional to the kart's velocity; a sound to suggest the player's facing direction, or perhaps the angle of deflection from the vector of the road; and a sound to suggest the proximity of enemies, which is effectively already handled by the unique engine sounds and character voices in MK64. It would almost certainly be necessary to use headphones to reliably use stereo sound for spatial orientation.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do these things, but it seems like most of the mechanisms are already in the game. Lakitu tells you when you are facing the wrong way. Perhaps his little siren could blare very quietly if you are sightly off center and get louder as you angle farther off course. There is an overhead map representation that could be referenced to "see" the curvature of the track ahead. Different surfaces of the tracks make different sounds. Perhaps the center of the road could be asphalt, then on either side of that some sand, and either side of that, the rattling wooden planks. In automobiles, drivers instinctively pull away from the edge of the road when they hear the rumble strips on one side, so it's the same idea.

People have defeated Mike Tyson's Punch Out while blindfolded, and they did not have the heightened senses that blind people tend to develop. So this seems well within the realm of possibility.

This would be a fun project to work on.

Hi members,

Thanks,
Janagirl!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6630 on: May 27, 2020, 05:54:11 am »
Blindfolded punch out?

I am not the most versed in punchout but read up a while back when that trick was supposedly unearthed after however many decades it would have been.

I don't know what audio cues are available but I would probably bet on it being a combo of memorised strategy (safer than normal speedrun/perfect run, maybe with some fallbacks), RNG manipulation maybe and a few cues or timings based upon them. Impressive but not probably something I might care to do as a multiplayer/interactive.

As for Mario Kart I will stand by my earlier remarks, some of those things could add more to it but whether the end result is something worth playing or them helping that much I don't know.

Xander max

• View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: May 29, 2020, 08:18:42 pm »
Hi members,

Thanks,
Janagirl!
I don't understand programming, but my idea would be to use all possible low cost hardware with the help of some software, being:
01 - Creation of software with the ability to lock on certain objects and points on the screen, (similar to facial tearing), how to convert images into sounds or vibrations, for example when passing through a question mark on the ground the program would inform which item went to the item box. People could enter scripts as per their information need.

02 - The cell phone would be used as an immersive screen, the person would have one hand on top of the phone and when touching where the vehicles are located would make the cell phone vibrate, so the person would know the location of each opponent and yours would be a kind of Braille tile.

03 - Use of a headset, it would serve to infomar when it was close to the edge of the track as the side that leaves the noise of the headset.

04 - The second hand would hold a joystick similar to the Wii nunchuk, so it would be able to control the vehicle with just one hand.

05 - This suggestion would be more complex, it would be to use the arduino to pass the positions of the vehicles to the user.

In addition, I believe that accessibility in games would be something incredible, I hope you can find some way to have fun with games!

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: May 30, 2020, 08:27:49 am »
DragonBall Nintendo "NES"
This user has had a great idea they should seek to help their ROMhack work to complete a great DragonBall game for NES (change enemy sprites, history, cinematics)  ;)
who can help contact your YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3SqBiQBw4

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: May 30, 2020, 10:02:45 am »
I'm fascinated by "blind" Mario Kart and hope to try it soon. I will work with SNES Mario Kart because it has a nice looking editor. @Janagirl, here are my ideas. Please let me know if you think they will work for you.

• Simple track layouts, such as rectangles and triangles, at least to start with. The game seems to force all tracks to be a loop. Unless I could figure out how to manipulate where Lakitu puts you when you fall off the track, I don't think a straight track is possible.
  • The center strip of the track is asphalt. This makes no distinct sound when the kart goes over it. To the right of the center strip is mud, which makes a squishy sound and slows down the kart. To the left of center is grass, which makes a rustling sound and slows down the kart. So you know, based on what you hear, how to adjust the facing angle of the kart.
  • Turning is handled with the L and R shoulder buttons, which hop the kart by a discrete angle (say, 15 degrees) in that direction. No D-pad necessary.
  • Prior to a turn, there will be a series of regularly spaced bumps on the track. These will tell you how many times you need to hit the turn button to complete the turn. For example, before a 90-degree turn, there would be 6 bumps. You will know it's 6 when you do not hear a 7th bump, and at the time that would be the 8th bump, you begin turning, using the same amount of time between hops as you heard with the bumps (I got this idea from NES Rad Racer!). This will be much easier if you are a musician, or you know Morse code, or you otherwise have a good sense of timing. If you can play a fighting game blind, you probably have a good sense of timing.
  • Turn direction will be indicated by another surface sound prior to the turn, such as wood for right turn and gravel for left turn.
  • Tracks will have no obstacles or pits to drive into. I will have to disable the AI abilities, such as Yoshi's egg and Bowser's fireball that they can drop on the track.
  • Item probabilities will be manipulated so you only get useful things. Red homing shell, star, lightning bolt, mushroom... No green shell, banana, feather, coins.
  • When you get an item, it will make its distinct sound to tell you what you got.
  • I have not figured out how to indicate your finishing position in a race. The music tells you if you won or did not win, but there's no audio cue for differentiating the other positions from each other. Perhaps a sound effect can be iterated at the end to count your position.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: May 30, 2020, 10:07:36 am »
Blindfolded punch out?

Yes, in fact the last Games Done Quick event upped that by combining Blindfolded with Two Players One Controller.
Spoiler:
And I recall they did beat Tyson, without even using a password to retry a match, which they said they were prepared for.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: May 31, 2020, 02:52:48 am »
Any hacker would like to take a crack at finishing some Lost NES games?
I was thinking about the 4 Nice Code games (Nature Clan), that where home brew in the 90's. They only have 5 or 10 levels you could add new levels to make them a full game.It would be a good NES completion.The 4 games i am thinking of(that are decent) are
• Mirrior Devil World • Sky Dreamer • Island • Froest Adventure
Just another idea for a hardcore NES Completionist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B3uol0qWpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dkeAdfvObM&t=59s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGOwJm37UM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZq532qkVQ

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: June 04, 2020, 02:17:43 pm »
In Dragon Warrior 4 for NES there's a Game Genie code that removes the AI from chapter 5, so I wonder how feasible it would be to add a Manual option to the tactics menu so you could toggle on the fly.

Shaztopia

• View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: June 04, 2020, 03:12:20 pm »
This isn't exactly a hack but I need to disable the HUD on an old PS1 ROM. 

It's the Rockman Dash Beta Trial (Capcom Friendly Club disc).  I've tried with cheat engine in ePSXe and retroarch's value search but can't find it.  Should be 2 bit but nothing I found has worked.

How would I go about doing this, or would someone be willing to help?  Been searching forever now.

Dracula X

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Page for ROM hacking
« Reply #6638 on: June 05, 2020, 01:55:03 pm »
On The Guardian Legend

What if all levels would be like Area 9 & 10 wastelands. Area 9 & 10 is like Area 1 & 2. What if Area 11 & 12 would be like Area 3 & 4 all the way to Area 16? Area 16 would be like Area 8. Then the enemies might be really hard to defeat and find a way to upgrade the weapons to match their attack. It would be the second quest for the game. Another idea about this. If there is no room to add more attack power or shield, try to change it to a different color or font from start to end.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:32:26 pm by Dracula X »
I might go back to Thunder Force II hacking again.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6639 on: June 05, 2020, 02:51:59 pm »
This isn't exactly a hack but I need to disable the HUD on an old PS1 ROM. 

It's the Rockman Dash Beta Trial (Capcom Friendly Club disc).  I've tried with cheat engine in ePSXe and retroarch's value search but can't find it.  Should be 2 bit but nothing I found has worked.

How would I go about doing this, or would someone be willing to help?  Been searching forever now.
That shouldn't be as simple as you think (I can't imagine it could be done with cheat engine). And it would be called a hack.