News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1830327 times)

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6500 on: April 04, 2020, 11:39:57 pm »
EDIT

(see below)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:03:21 am by sil3nt_j »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: April 05, 2020, 09:16:31 am »
Quote from: alzen
EDIT:
Just tested in first level, works perfect. So many problems solved. Thank you so very much :D
If you or your son have the inclination, there is a utility for editing and creating maps for the game here: http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/2715/
If it would be helpful to have more lives to start with, that is also a very easy thing to change that folks here could help you with.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: April 05, 2020, 09:30:51 am »
patch for Fatal Fury 2 in Genesis  ;)

- remove upper black bar, you will see the entire stage and the life bar

- add the 4 blocked bosses.

- balance gameplay and reduce difficulty.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: April 05, 2020, 11:05:52 am »
Just finished this. This really is my last one for a while. The pic on the right isn't mine, it's from a shirt from Hot Topic. Credit to SmithyGCN, of Spriter's Resource, for the Burger Time sprite rips.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: April 05, 2020, 11:16:01 am »
While testing the hack I noticed that the START (pause) button is also limited to Player 1. Shouldn't that be passed on to Player 2 as well if Player 1 runs out of rests?
Start/Select only usable by Player 1 is something common on Japanese-developed NES games. If you didn't know, their original model (Famicom) had permanently-attached controllers and the one for player 2 lacked those buttons.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

bgrunge

• View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: April 05, 2020, 08:40:09 pm »
IDEA: Parasite Eve Weapons rebalance

Hello, just a quick introduction: I'm an old lurker of the community, dating back to the pre 2000 Demiforce forum days. I've always been content to just gratefully accept any translations/hacks that have been completed, so this will be my first time with a suggestion/request.

I've been playing through Parasite Eve again and I've realized the system has a lot of potential to be far more interesting if the weapons and their functionality were rebalanced. Here are my specific ideas in that regard:

1.) Rebalance the stats and names of all weapons and enemies in the the game with a few overall goals in mind:

a.) Make each weapon more unique and interesting. Every weapon should be more distinctive in its functionality. An example would be like introducing a two shot two ammo double barrelled coach gun early on in the gun store instead of the pistol found there, for instance.

b.) Flatten the power scaling of weapons and enemies(not completely) so that the player is less obliged to ditch a specific weapon for another based on base stats alone. The player should be encouraged to improve a favorite gun or guns, rather than constantly churning through them.

2.) Modify some ways weapons fundamentally work.

a.) Remove the counter-intuitive division of damage per bullet fired in an action and replace it with a decreased hit radius per sequential bullet, based on the firearm, so as to simulate recoil spread. So, all bullets will be fired at full weapon damage. However, if a weapon normally has a range of 100, and a range decay of .2, the first bullet fired per action will be calculated using that effective range, but the next one fired in that action will be at an effective range of 80, and so on. This means that a monster that is near the limit of the the max range (say, distance 90) will be hit at full damage by the first bullet, and reduced damage by the second, since it is essentially out of effective range for the second bullet. Range decay percentages will vary according to weapon type, with greater decays assigned to shotguns, rifles, grenade launchers, etc.

b.) Make some weapon traits non-transferable but still removable. All of these traits should be visible, so splash damage on rocket launchers should be its own trait which may be removed but not transferred. Shotgun style spread should be limited to shotguns, (i.e. not a trait that can be removed), with a linear reduction in damage for distance. Splash should remain on rocket launchers, and also become an inherent trait of grenade launchers, albeit with a reduced radius.

3.) Adjust weapon classes

a.) introduce a new class "assault rifles" to differentiate assault rifles from normal/sniper rifles.

b.) increase striation of weapon roles:

I.) Pistols - short range, faster recharge speed, low damage, high rate of fire. They should be thought of as a high mobility spell friendly weapon

II.) Shotguns - intermediate range with decreasing damage. slow charge speed, medium rate of fire, high damage. These do crowd control, and, if your remove the spread functionality, high single target burst damage.

III.) SMGs - short range, medium charge speed, low damage, extremely high rate of fire. These should be considered a somewhat all around weapon. Not the best for spells due to its medium charge time, but not the worst, and decent DPS at a decent range. Very bullet hungry.

IV.) Grenade launchers - high powered crowd control, with high charge time, medium range, extremely high damage, low rate of fire, very slow charge speed, small magazines, and their own special, limited ammo similar to how rockets are in vanilla. Grenade ammo should be easier to find than rocket ammo, but rarer than bullets. Grenades are a better crowd control option than shotguns but must be used at range, and ammo is limited. The splash damage trait should do 50% of weapon damage to all entities inside the radius, including the player.

V.) Assault Rifles - long range, very high rate of fire, slow charge speed, medium damage. This is the long ranged counterpart to the SMG, but less spell friendly due to slow charge time, and with slightly lower DPS on average- it has higher powered individual shots, but lower ROF and charge speed, so overall DPS is lower. The range allows the player to stay farther away.

VI.) Rifles - Very long range, low rate of fire, very slow charge speed, very high damage. These are for when you want to reach out and touch someone from a very safe distance, but don't expect to use spells too much, and don't expect to be able to drop multiple targets quickly.

4.) Remove diminishing PE recharge rates- enable PE to recharge at the same rate an entire battle without slowing down, but decrease the overall rate.

5.) introduce some new weapon traits

6.) Allow the player to upgrade all of their personal stats with BP, not just recharge speed and inventory

7.) Introduce new weapon models for new weapons

WHAT I CAN HELP WITH: I realize this is a very ambitious idea, and as such, I would be overjoyed if someone did only so much as making a weapon/monster data exporter/importer tool to adjust them. Given such a tool, I would gladly do all the balancing grunt work- I think simply being able to change weapon and enemy stats would yield a huge improvement in player experience. I can also model and texture any new weapon models required.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6506 on: April 07, 2020, 01:46:13 pm »
Thanks Star. Was thinking maybe for the Elvira death animation, she can turn into 3 hearts instead of lying on the ground, just to add to the comedy of the game.

I went ahead and finished the sprites for the Doug Robot Gyromite hack. I have to thank el kadong because I got the idea for this from his Ice Cream Donkey Kong Hack.

Well here it is, Doug: Swirly's Factory. Stop the Nematodes from eating Mr. Swirly's ice cream! The creature in the picture is from the episode where Doug plays the Nematode game. Special thanks to wizarddojo.com for the stage sprite rip and to Spriters Resource for the Gyromite sprites.

and some title screens, it would be cool if someone could do the one on the right

Lol. 3 Hearts sounds great. Nice creation of an old Nickelodeon classic BTW. Spriting is SUPER time consuming, I have been swapping sprites in some GBA Castlevania's for about a month now. Each one takes
F-O-R-E-V-E-R... And thats with others making the original sprites before me swapping them in. Swap in a whole sheet full of frames just to find out they need to be resized!  :banghead: It can drive you MAD! lol.
Insert "Witty Text" here.

day2data

• View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: April 08, 2020, 02:58:19 am »
The Super Mario RPG engine would be a good engine for another Earthbound/Mother game on SNES.
Mother 3 incorporated timing, and the art style used in SMRPG would fit the Mother art style really well.
I opened LazyShell... I could possibly do some of the stats and character sprites, but like the OP says, I've none of the real talent required to make a project like that come together.
It's is a great engine for a Mother game, that's for sure.
Oh well, a boy can dream right?

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: April 09, 2020, 07:26:55 am »
Hokuto no Ken II: Last Battle ( hack restoration / translation and improvement )  :-\

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23412.0

- translate the all Japanese version text.
- greatly reduce the exaggerated difficulty, more balance make it more fun.
- improve art sprites more animation or music themes.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6509 on: April 09, 2020, 03:41:24 pm »
Hokuto no Ken II: Last Battle ( hack restoration / translation and improvement )  :-\

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23412.0

- translate the all Japanese version text.
- greatly reduce the exaggerated difficulty, more balance make it more fun.
- improve art sprites more animation or music themes.
I love this game!  ;D If yyou can make it better than it already is, DO IT!  :woot!:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: April 10, 2020, 05:16:46 am »
How about a Soul Blader / Soul Blazer restoration hack to go along with the retranslation by Steppolo Steppi?
Maybe an update to those item names that were "not straight forward".
And were the graphics uncensored? If not that would be a good thing to add in there.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: April 10, 2020, 09:45:18 am »
I was bored so I made these:

Super Mario 3 sprites with the original Super Mario colors:

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: April 10, 2020, 01:04:01 pm »
I was bored so I made these:

Super Mario 3 sprites with the original Super Mario colors:

You might wanna do some more work on those sprites. Luigi is taller than Mario, so he should be made to appear as such in spriting. For a model, you may use this image below, which SCD was so proud to provide earlier in this thread:

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: April 10, 2020, 01:22:21 pm »
Eh, that was just a quick recolor.

I know that if this were to actually happen, Mario and Luigi's overalls would probably have to both be the same color, since they are both black.

The thing about the height is, if it's just a graphics edit, then there is only so much space to edit the sprites in. So Luigi may or may not be able to be taller than Mario.

But I'm guessing, since they share the same sprites, they would have to be the same size. Unless someone can make it to where Luigi and Mario have separate sprites? I just meant it as a color edit, but if someone wants to get serious about this, PM me and we can figure out what will work and what won't. Should be pretty easy.

April 11, 2020, 12:26:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Had another idea a hack of WCW wrestling with WWF wrestlers, I know it was just a remake of the Japanese version.

On the left, the wrestlers, on the right, who they would replace. I listed the original colors and finishers as well:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:43:15 pm by sil3nt_j »

bgrunge

• View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: April 12, 2020, 06:01:22 pm »
Has anybody ever considered restoring the upgradable weapons from the Arcade version of Super C to the NES version?

Vahan

• View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: April 12, 2020, 09:03:30 pm »
How about Vs. Gumshoe modified to work on NES emulators?

Metro City

• View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:35 am »
But on Altered Beast Megadrive it's possible change some animation?

like the final boss who opens the arm or the dismemberment of the zombies  ::)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: April 13, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »
How about a Soul Blader / Soul Blazer restoration hack to go along with the retranslation by Steppolo Steppi?
Maybe an update to those item names that were "not straight forward".
And were the graphics uncensored? If not that would be a good thing to add in there.

Both Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia could benefit from a restoration and retranslation.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: April 13, 2020, 04:23:12 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing some Gameboy Color remakes of the 2 Sailor Moon games released on Gameboy.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: April 14, 2020, 04:28:39 pm »
Try this: https://ufile.io/rzn5wccc
Stealing rests works by pressing A + B when you have 0 rests. I did not add a 1 second delay.
And the player 2 SELECT button can now open the info screen if player 1 has run out of rests.

While testing the hack I noticed that the START (pause) button is also limited to Player 1. Shouldn't that be passed on to Player 2 as well if Player 1 runs out of rests?
Got a mirror? Thanks!