News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1714387 times)

4lorn

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6380 on: February 11, 2020, 09:22:16 am »
MY IDEAS - (feel free to steal them)

modification for Shadowrun (SNES):

ability to use knives like some of the enemies, like the first opponent in the arena. still have the crosshair but when you press A on a target Jake will run right up to them and slash em. once he's right next to them each time you press A he will slash just like he shoots everytime you press A.

have it as a skill set (like melee weapons) so you can upgrade using karma and have a couple different knives for sale in the firearm store in the empty display cases. maybe first one = pocket knife, second one = stilleto switchblade, third one = balisong / butterfly knife

Actually, there is an Unarmed Combat skill in the game but the mercenary Anders is the only one with it. You can Game Genie your way into having Jake have it as well, but it does nothing - but then, there are no usable melee weapons (or items that would count as such), so it's hard to tell if the skill is functional or not.

But speaking about the SNES version of Shadowrun, it would be nice to see a hack that imported the JP intro and title screen palettes. Both are far superior to the US release.

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: February 11, 2020, 03:32:27 pm »
But speaking about the SNES version of Shadowrun, it would be nice to see a hack that imported the JP intro and title screen palettes. Both are far superior to the US release.

Personally I prefer the US title screen. Less is more IMO. And it sets the mood perfectly. The Japanese one goes on for too long, like an information dump.

But I would like the Japanese intro as well. The cutscene with Kitsune (that sounded funny) should play by default.

I really like that game.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: February 11, 2020, 04:12:50 pm »
Personally I prefer the US title screen. Less is more IMO. And it sets the mood perfectly. The Japanese one goes on for too long, like an information dump.

I'll grant you that, but it does stick closer to the original PnP setting (if one appreciates it) and does expand upon the lore of the game, which the US version largely neglects, making it seem like a generic, doom'n'gloom future society with not much to go by in diversity.

Maybe a compromise could be reached by expanding the backstory while cutting out the fat.

But I would like the Japanese intro as well. The cutscene with Kitsune (that sounded funny) should play by default.

That would be nice indeed.

I really like that game.

I always felt the Genesis version to be superior by a considerable margin, but the SNES version is a fine game too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:05:47 pm by 4lorn »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6383 on: February 11, 2020, 05:04:34 pm »
Gauntlet IV improvement hack (MD)
-Health items aren't destructible or can take 2-3 hits
-Added short range attack speed stat and you get the manual melee attack ring either by default or very early - makes the manual melee attack more useful
-Make it so that if your key/bomb inventory is full then you can still move past a placed key/bomb potion if it's blocking a path
-Strafing with 6-button controller - means there's much less unavoidable damage
-Text & voice hints are voice only and don't pause gameplay

-At 10+ speed the scrolling will still keep up with your movement
-The game notifies you when all switches have been hit on a floor in quest mode
-Moving between floors in quest mode is faster
-Hitting a potion in melee with fight ring still makes it trigger
-More intuitive teleporter mazes in how you can steer where to go in water tower and earth tower for example

-Trapped chests in quest mode start moving a bit sooner so you don't have to shoot each one to be safe
-Less destructible walls to destroy to find hidden switches in quest mode
-Previously uncollected treasure doesn't disappear after having pressed all switches on a floor
-More minor shortcuts in quest mode to avoid backtracking
-The shortcut path stairs (quest mode has a set of these for each dungeon) are marked in a different color to help navigation since there are no maps

-The game also saves opened doors progress in quest mode
-Added enemy variety in quest mode (thieves from arcade mode can be easily added and perhaps also the unique Gauntlet 2 enemies)
-Added difficulty options in quest mode
-Higher contrast and detail on par with the arcade game
-Added sfx when attacking in melee and when hitting things in melee or ranged

-Some of the "confuse" and "slow" ground tiles are changed to make gameplay on some floors less tedious (or there could be a new potion that negates them for a limited time)
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Domino089

• View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: February 12, 2020, 03:06:44 pm »
I have a couple of ideas more than hacks are improvements for "Super Mario World" and "Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World", if anyone is interested in doing them.

Super Mario World: change the Luigi sprite for the new one that appears in "Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World" and when we only play with player 1, we have the possibility to choose whether to play with Mario or Luigi

Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World:

• Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World: when we only play with player 1 have the possibility to choose whether to play with Mario or Luigi

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6385 on: February 12, 2020, 11:33:07 pm »
I'll grant you that, but it does stick closer to the original PnP setting (if one appreciates it) and does expand upon the lore of the game, which the US version largely neglects, making it seem like a generic, doom'n'gloom future society with not much to go by in diversity.

Maybe a compromise could be reached by expanding the backstory while cutting out the fat.

That would be nice indeed.

I always felt the Genesis version to be superior by a considerable margin, but the SNES version is a fine game too.

I still play the Genesis version from time to time. Love the new mods of it.  :thumbsup: The SNES version could have been bigger honestly. And I never did finish it on SNES.  :-[
Insert "Witty Text" here.

GundamBattleAssault2

• View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:01 am »
In the game Gundam Battle Assault 2 for the PS1, there are "4" unused characters that are completely inaccessible unless you use Gameshark codes. Here are the four characters and the codes that force Player1/Player2 to be those characters.

P1 The-O 800DF844 0006
P1 Zeta Gundam 800DF844 000D
P1 Qubeley 800DF844 000F
P1 Hamma Hamma 800DF844 0010

P2 The-O 800DF85E 0006
P2 Zeta Gundam 800DF85E 000D
P2 Qubeley 800DF85E 000F
P2 Hamma Hamma 800DF85E 0010

My idea for a romhack is either to add these four characters to the Character Select roster (which would be the most eloquent) OR add button combos that allow you to choose one of them by, say, "Hold R2 while selecting Burning Gundam to play as Zeta Gundam" and do this for the other three. I love this game, it's my favorite fighting game and think it would be incredible for everybody to experience this unused extra content that is locked away in the game data. Thank you.

Pezito

• View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: February 13, 2020, 05:15:24 am »
Open the ROM with a hex editor, then change the following bytes:
Go to offset 7EAF, and change FF to FE.
Go to offset 7EB7, and change 01 to 02.
At offset 7EBC, change 24 to 20.
And at offset 7EBF, change FF to FE.

This does not increase speed like the Game Genie codes you can find online. But it does bypass the small build up to gain speed, so that Flink will start jogging as soon as you press left or right.

Edit: I released a small hack for this.

That's great! Thanks a lot! :) I just changed the offsets in my rom like you said, and it worked like a charm. (Saw your link to the patch but I wanted to do the editing by hand, frustrated as I was not to have figured out the offsets by myself. :P ) Now Flink moves just at the right pace. Funny how so slight a change can make the whole game much more enjoyable. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:47 pm »
That's great! Thanks a lot! :) I just changed the offsets in my rom like you said, and it worked like a charm. (Saw your link to the patch but I wanted to do the editing by hand, frustrated as I was not to have figured out the offsets by myself. :P ) Now Flink moves just at the right pace. Funny how so slight a change can make the whole game much more enjoyable. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

You're welcome  :)

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: February 13, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
On the subject of localizing texts, I seem to notice that games like Zyuranger gets a Power Rangers type of translation as of the Kyatto Ninden Teyandee gets a Samurai Pizza Cats style translation with only 2 games featuring Sailor Moon only having a DIC/Cloverway style translation (Nakayoshi & Me and Sailor Moon Super S Floating Party Panic) alongside the original translated versions. And I'm wondering why that is. I know people are going to harass and bully me for this kind of thinking (especially since I can't stand the Viz dub no matter how much I tried to be forced to like it by everyone just to fit in with the fad crowd), but I noticed some Sailor Moon games that got translated didn't have the same kind of translation done like they did with the other games. Why is that? I'm surprised at least 2 games let you choose the names/translation styles, but why not the others? Thought I'd ask. :-[

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:54 pm »
Ys 3 on PCE CD has an awesome sound track but I dislike it over the Genesis version because the scrolling is weird.

The Sega CD has an unused audio mode exploited through several rom hacks for the classic Sonic games that plays red book audio while a cartridge is playing.

A hack of the genesis version with its superior scrolling that puts in the kick ass PCECD OST would be a god send.

robertya1027

• View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: February 15, 2020, 03:19:00 am »
So...this game has been un-translated for 25 years, and a lot of people fail.  I'd like to see a port of the first game. Why isn't Tokimemo 1  translated yet? It's like a curse...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:55:21 am by robertya1027 »

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: February 15, 2020, 10:24:59 am »
Would anyone be interested in making a Joker / Harley Quinn hack of Monster in my Pocket? Thinking about doing sprite work for it.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: February 15, 2020, 10:53:22 am »
Let me answer with two thoughts:
1. The absolute zero interest in dating sims here in the U.S. ( they tried Toki on the PSP to test the feasibility of releasing it in the U.S. needless to say it didn't go well)
2. The fact that Konami won two court cases (unlike Nintendo vs. Goloub) against a software company back when hacked,or preloaded memory cards where a thing. Basically saying that it changed the derivative nature of the work thereby infringing on the copyright. Maybe this litigious nature turns some people off to screwing around with this particular piece of Konami's work.

"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: February 15, 2020, 11:01:50 am »
Curious what the claims were.
Preloaded memory cards? Sounds like it had to do with allowing people to play minigames.

But I'm sure people are still selling carts/memory cards with their stored collection of hacked Pokemon as the emphasis. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #6395 on: February 16, 2020, 11:57:29 pm »
Someone needs to complete the already started Super Multi-troid.  :D A 2-4 player co-op hack of Super Metroid needs to happen like yesterday. Anyone ever played Megaman Perfect Harmony? Why not do Multi-troid the same way, only on multiple platforms, instead of just PC?  :-\ Multi-troid for NES Super Multi for SNES, Multi-Fusion for GBA. And while they are at it, do each one of these with the best and longest hack of each game, for optimal co-op play!  :happy:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: February 19, 2020, 02:25:30 pm »
Many people have talked about the difficulty of the Lion King on SNES and Genesis. In fact, the SNES version was made harder because of Blockbuster rentals and certain platforms (especially on the 2nd stage) are not grabbable, among many other things. But I think the graphics and sound on the SNES are much better than its Genesis counterpart. If the broken gameplay could be fixed on the SNES, in addition to adding the subtitles from the Japanese version it would be the definitive version of the game.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: February 19, 2020, 03:28:31 pm »
Odd that they would make the SNES version harder when, if my memory is write, the Genesis version, or maybe at least Virgin Games, had signed on to some kind of burn-on-demand program Blockbuster wanted to test.
(that was, Blockbuster could rent out essentially a single-game flash cart they could burn licensed games onto)
I forget what it was called but I thought the one sample cart found was a Virgin game. Anyone remember that?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: February 19, 2020, 04:19:49 pm »
Odd that they would make the SNES version harder when, if my memory is write, the Genesis version, or maybe at least Virgin Games, had signed on to some kind of burn-on-demand program Blockbuster wanted to test.
(that was, Blockbuster could rent out essentially a single-game flash cart they could burn licensed games onto)
I forget what it was called but I thought the one sample cart found was a Virgin game. Anyone remember that?

I think it was Nintendo that requested game makers to make some games harder for the US release to curb games being rented from Blockbuster and beaten over the weekend so that you would be compelled to buy the game after renting it if you wanted to beat it. It is why Castlevania III is harder than Akumajo Densetsu.

JeanBaMac

• View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: February 21, 2020, 11:11:37 am »
Hello.

- The "in the dark" chatter is different between the Japanese and international versions. This was changed because the line, "One more beer please" can be heard in the background in the Japanese version, and Nintendo of America did not allow mention of alcoholic drinks at the time.
- In the international versions, the hints the Princess gives you in her letters received at the end of Worlds 2 and 3 switched places with each other in the localization process. (This would later be corrected when the game was remade for Game Boy Advance.) At the end of World 2 in the Japanese version, the Princess gives you a hint about the white blocks that are first encountered in World 3.  At the end of World 3 in the Japanese version, the Princess gives you a hint about Kuribo/Goomba's Shoe encountered in World 5.
- In Revision 0, the Princess talks about Kuribo's Shoe. "Kuribo" is the Japanese name for Goomba, so whoever was translating the name didn't know that the enemy in question had its name changed for localization. In the Revision 1 version, it was renamed to Goomba's Shoe. Nintendo has had an unfortunate tendency to flip-flop between the two names in later games and publications. The Super Mario All-Stars version uses the Revision 0 text.

Can you make a patch that:
- replaces the Title screen's chatter by original Japanese version
- switches W2 and W3 letters, while replacing "Kuribo" by Goomba
?

This patch should be compatible with already available patches for SMAS and SMAS+W.

Thank you.