News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1559297 times)

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #6240 on: December 05, 2019, 10:12:54 am »
 Hey all!  :)

I am writing to request help with a few ideas for the 3 GBA Castlevania titles. I have had little to no luck in attempting to solve the following issues myself. Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated, not only by myself, but by all Castlevania fans as well.  ;D

I have attempted using multiple IPS patches on a single rom and had some really great, beta style, sucesses. Such as, AOS Genya Arikado Hack + AOS Alter = Fully Playable Altered Castle of Genya Arikado.  :D
It is worth noting that this also works with AOS Future Alucard Hack, but not with Dawn of Symphony.  :(
Also the Text in places tends to get garbled at times but otherwise the good ending can be achieved as normal.

Another Patch merge that is notable is HOD LUNATIC with Revenge On The Findesiecle. The only bad thing about it is sometimes the graphics will get garbled, but fix themselves after leaving a room, or upon saving and resetting. The result is you get to play through both castles wholly with any of the available characters, with a new set of enemy placement, which makes level grinding time alot shorter. This mechanic adds new levels of fun to an already fun hack.  :thumbsup: Although this hack would be even better with the Belmont to Belnades palette swap.

In COTM, I combined the Hugh Baldwin Hack with Card UP and the game is phenomonally more enjoyable! AOS Hugh Baldwin Hack also goes nicely with Yukuutski no Minuet. Persephone Hack + Akatsuki no Partita is not finishable due to a missing "Omega Truffles" soul, so only the bad ending is achievable. However Persephone + Yukuutski no Minuet is fully playable! YAY!  :D

I have alot more really great ideas.  8) If anyone is interested, and can help repair the bugs, or help with inserting music let me know. It would be a dream come true to see Dawn of Symphony merged with AOS Alter with OCRemixes and VGMixes inserted in the game.  :woot!: Or maybe an english HOD Revenge with full equipment menus for all characters, permanent bullet soul for Megaman and Mario?  :huh:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Valkyrie

• View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: December 05, 2019, 11:07:10 am »
As of late I keep on going back to play Parodius Portable due easy access and customization to all the games inside - but I keep noticing the replaced music in various levels throughout the series related to copyright infringement  thought could a restoration patch be done to alleviate this?

It'd be on the following:

- Stage 4 (Ah! Traveling Japan) in Parodius Da ("The Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian, "Hungarian Dance No. 5" by Johannes Brahms in PSP-version)

- Stage 1 (Circo Porto Harborland) ("In the Mood" by Joe Garland, "Turkey in the Straw" - American Folk song in PSP-version)

- Stage 4 Boss (Decoration Core) in Gokujyo Parodius (   "Mambo No. 5" by Damaso Perez Prado, "The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers" by Leon Jessel in PSP-version)

- Stage 1 (Disco) ("That's the Way (I Like It)" from the 1975 eponymous album by K.C. and the Sunshine Band, Replaced by "Brilliant2U" from Dance Dance Revolution by Naoki Maeda in PSP-version)

- Omake 2 in Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius - Forever With Me ("TRUTH" by T-Square, changed to original song inspired by it in PSP-version)

- Stage 1 (Farm) (This one's very weird. Mostly this has to do with ""Hokkaido ha dokoniaru? Kokoniaru!"-jingle by Gontiti, which got removed in PSP-version. For this reason, PSP-version we get fully recomposed song for this level, which illustrates my problem with changed soundtrack: the replaced songs feel much lower and "artificial" in tone enough to feel jarring next to rest of the original, manic soundtracks from these games.

The kicker though? An Asian release existed for Sexy Parodius which already did this, but kept the rest of the song still intact. In fact one of the songs from this release got reused in PSP-version nonetheless.

-Stage 3A (Geisha Palace Boss - Mayim Mayim / Israeli Folksong, Russian folk song "Korobushka" in PSP-version)

- Stage 4A (Girl Warehouse, "El Bimbo" by Claude Ciari, "Symphony No.40" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in PSP-version, strangely picked from the Asian Arcade-releases from unused songs inside Sexy Parodius's original game files. I'm torn on this one since this one's composed for the game back in it's original release, so it's much more seamless as a replacement.)

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: December 06, 2019, 11:32:04 am »
Do it... go now. Go look. In the hacks section. Look there, at the "Games" drop-down menu.
LOOK AT IT. Scroll down, not "J".. scroll down, not "M".. scrolling, scrolling....
AHHH the "S" section.
Do you see it, or rather, do you not see it?
All of these brilliant and wonderful people that are way smarter than me and I'm quite sure, way more handsome than I...
Of all of these very handsome and skilled Individuals...
No one has made a SINGLE hack for the SNES version of Shadowrun?
I mean come on.. a futuristic, cyber-punk setting, where dragon owned corporate technocracies control the world.
Somebody, do something here. I'm dying, I mean slowly day to day, but I am dying. Please someone at least lie to me, and tell me there will be fixed pixel hack in the next century.
Thank you for participating in my light harassment.

I second that. Also, some love for Demon's Crest would be much appreciated! :)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: December 06, 2019, 12:43:21 pm »
What about a patch to start with Xtreme Mode unlocked 😬

Oh yes, that's a thing. I should do that. Should be pretty easy too.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: December 06, 2019, 08:29:16 pm »
With the entire soundtrack of Donkey Kong Country 1 given a hi-def fan revamp, why doesn't somebody create an MSU-1 hack so we can hear them in-game?

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: December 07, 2019, 05:01:24 am »
spiderman lethal foes / SuperFamicom

suppress / eliminate the bad timer  >:( / no time hack :beer:

infinite time :thumbsup:

the game can be enjoyed now and you can explore all the scenarios with Spiderman,
is the best Spiderman SuperFamicom game

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: December 07, 2019, 05:20:36 am »
Go to offset 1B9DB and change the hex value to CD.

This will give you infinite time in that game.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6247 on: December 07, 2019, 07:22:29 am »
Final Fantasy II (GBA or PSP) gameplay improvement/balance hack
-Change the spell and gear progression in either of two ways:
1. Grouped gear and spells according to similarity and/or them being white or black schools - See the Secret of Evermore balance patch
2. A system in place which checks a character's current spell level average with a school of magic (black or white) and sets a newly learned spell's level according to that average (perhaps also affected by the spirit/intelligence stat) instead of starting it at level 1)
^Either way, Ultima also starts off stronger and is fast to level, to better gel with the story

-Stat growth chance for HP/MP is based on how much is lost in total rather than the amount they're at when exiting a battle.
-Somewhat faster growth in general
-Most trap rooms in dungeons are removed and chest loot is rebalanced so exploration is more useful throughout the game
-Memory crusor carries over between battles
-Can see a skill stat’s (spell/weapon/shield/evade/m. def) experience level in battle (means you'll never waste casts trying to level a spell up seeing as there's a limit of 1 level gain per spell in any one battle). Can also see numbers for stat increases after battles.
-New recruits late in the game have boosted stats
-Can escape from all enemies
-Can check a piece of equipment's stats in a shop before buying it
-Can keep using lower level versions of a spell once you've leveled it up
-Skippable spell and resting animations
-Can use l/r to browse through your spells during battle
-Gear effect on evade and magic defense is shown directly in the equipment menu
-Short explanation when encountering an area on the overworld that can't be entered until a certain condition is met (such as Fynn castle or the Coliseum)
-Less backtracking from remote destinations (can make Cid and chocobos wait outside an area?, cheaper ship ride early on?)
-Blood Sword isn't missable
-Rebalanced unarmed so that it starts off weaker but pays off in the end
-Somewhat nerfed Teleport and similar spells
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6248 on: December 07, 2019, 11:16:48 am »
Earlier today, I watched Octavius Kitten's video about edutainment games, and noticed how she very deliberately read Donkey Kong Jr. Math as "Maths":
https://youtu.be/1rANABSFAA0?t=17

As a fellow Brit, it got me thinking, and since I've already hacked several of Nintendo's early Famicom/NES games, I knew exactly how the title screens worked. Therefore I spent half an hour or so creating the most pointless, petty hack I've ever made:

I wanted it to be slightly wider to keep all the letters the same size, but I ran out of ROM space and would have to change 'calculate' to 'calc' to compensate. In the end I only needed to remove the dot from 'Ltd', which nobody's going to miss.

If you do use this patch - and I see no reason why you would - I recommend giving it the filename "Donkey Kong Jr. Maths (E)", so that FCEUX and maybe others will assume it's a PAL game, and you can play it 17% slower like a true PAL gamer would.

"Enjoy". :)

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/dkjmaths.ips

EDIT: after a quick search, it appears that it did actually come out in Europe, but in all likelihood the ROM was identical to the US version. So, there you go.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: December 07, 2019, 01:26:58 pm »
someone needs to finish the Mizzurna Falls translation, and while your at it, add a way to restart each day, a la Deadly Premonition or Majora's Mask

actually, if you could slow the in game clock to be about half as fast would be wonderful.

it's a travesty that the game isn't as well known as it is.

i was hoping the "leaked" 0.8 patch was basically done, but released "as-is" to get around some kinda issue with releasing, but it actually is unfinished

menu options the text don't work correctly and some people you talk to have endless garbled text and the only way to escape is to load a previous save state.

menus are like this.

Do you want a sandwich? Yes No

where they should be

Do you want a sandwich?
        .Yes
        .No

it's bearable so far, but i'd really like to see this thing polished up (especially with all the work ResidenEevee went through to translate it)

and especially if the clock could be slowed down like in Majora or chapters (days) could be replayed like in Deadly Premonition.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: December 07, 2019, 02:21:55 pm »
someone needs to finish the Mizzurna Falls translation
Clearly you didn't read Gemini's tweet from a while back: the whole mess attracted the attention of a competent programmer who offered to work on it.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: December 07, 2019, 02:29:39 pm »
awesome, i thought Gemeni abandoned it and ResidentEevee and him (or her) had a falling out.

still, i really think that slowing down time and being able to replay days would help 1000%

is there a blog or something with updates? or a ETA for release, cause it is pretty dang close as-is

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: December 08, 2019, 05:35:33 am »
another idea for a crazy hack :D

power rangers the movie for Genesis / MegaDrive

add or include the green ranger badass  :thumbsup:

boomd420

• View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: December 09, 2019, 03:56:29 pm »
SUPER DODGEBALL - Nes

Is there anyone interested in starting a rom hack of Super Dodgeball for the nes)

If anyone is, I'd be willing to do a commission or donation.

These are my ideas.

----

** 1 player (World Mode)

- Pick any team

** 2 player (Versus Play)

- Pick any country to play vs in

- Pick same team (Different Colors)

- Pick time of day (It's available in Bean Ball)

-Nightmare/Shadow teams (Last team in the game in world mode. Black and white, more stamina)

** Bean Ball

- 4 player hack (Already exists) (Japan version also has this option)

- Pick any team (Prob not do-able but idk anything)

- Pick any player from any team (Again prob not do-able)

---
extras **

- Add bonus teams

- ^ With new moves

--Notes--

There are (2) versions of the game. A US version and Japan. The Japan has a different World team, vs mode different country, 4 player Beanball, intro screen. The Japan version also has a screen to change team/player names.

Theres 2 hacks on Romhacking.net

There's a few guides on gamefaqs

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:11:07 pm by boomd420 »

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: December 09, 2019, 04:42:10 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a disassembly of Final Fantasy II (NES) would be very helpful if someone had the time, inclination, or access to documentation used by the select few hacks and translations that were made for the game on this site. I'd try to address some of the bugs I listed previously myself, but wouldn't even know where to begin looking and haven't the free time to try and tear down the ROM bit by bit.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #6255 on: December 10, 2019, 06:28:02 am »
Super Mario Maker 2 has me wanting Link in Super Mario games. I know it's absolutely not feasible to put Link in SMB1 with all his Mario Maker abilities since it uses more buttons than the NES has, and SMB1 doesn't seem to have much ability changing hacks out there, but I feel like it could be done in Super Mario World.

Heck, one thing I've admired about the Sonic hacking community is how they put other characters in Sonic 1-3, I really think Super Mario world should get the same treatment. I've seen fully functional Warios and YI Yoshi's in their own hacks but not in Super Mario world proper.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

2tack

• View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: December 10, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions:

With the new ASM editor, maybe this is possible. Uncap the amount of characters you can bring into battle, allowing you to fill every open spot with someone from your roster. Sure it would ruin the balance, but it would be fun!

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: December 11, 2019, 09:02:59 pm »
Idea: Take that awesome engine used to make Sonic Classic Heroes and make a Genesis version of Chaotix. It doesn't even have to be a 1:1 recreation of the 32x game. You just need interesting stages and lots of "tiered" platforming. As in there are parts of a stage where your main character can get trapped above the secondary character. That's most of the "fun" of Chaotix. Using your second character's distance from you to charge the elastic ring band for momentum.

The 3D stages (the run through the octagon tube) would obviously have to be omitted since the Genesis can't do polygons without the 32x helping out, but maybe the special stages could be replaced with Blue Sphere stages instead. The game would only need to be DIFFERENT from Sonic 1 and 2, have tiered level platforms with lots of curved parts, and have teams of two characters attached by the ring band.

Levels would have general themes, Grass, Fire, Water, Ice, Electric.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: December 11, 2019, 09:28:13 pm »
Make audio-only of these undub hacks.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4790/

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4814/

I make the complain/request here, since Geo is NOWHERE to be seen or contacted. And kinda fails on getting the right balance.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: December 12, 2019, 02:27:28 am »
Earthworm Jim 2 (Sega Saturn)

A hack that will add these fixes to it:

Fix the pitch of the "Oh!" voice clip that both the grannies & the sheep enemies uses, the pitch is way down for some odd reason. While in the PSX port, it has the correct pitch.
Change the music track for the ISO9000 level to the one that is used in the Lorenzen's Soil level.
Give Jim his correct climbing across sprites, they used the ones from EWJ1 in this port for some odd reason.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:17:23 pm by SCD »