News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1276116 times)

timeisup

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5800 on: May 21, 2019, 05:07:16 pm »
I'm sorry I misjudged your first post. Other than that, OK, I suppose that will do.

Forgive me if my comments offended you, I didn't mean to do so. I'm just a novice when it comes to programming, especially hacking video games, so I don't understand much of the terminology associated with that.

All good.

Anubis9596

• View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: May 21, 2019, 07:10:24 pm »
Hi, is anyone able to mod a timesplitters 2 or 3 gamecube iso and remove or greatly increase the map makers space limit plz, I've searched everywhere but nobody seems to have done this yet and i find this strange as im not the only person i know who hates to have a limit while creating maps on either game :)

Xdegenerate

• View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: May 22, 2019, 02:12:15 am »
Hey people.

I have a couple of ideas that i think might be a simple find, and 1 that might be challenging.

Double Dragon II - NES

1) Can someone maybe try to hack the annoying stages that have moving parts? If I play by controller I can pass these stages fine, but on a touchscreen, not so much (yes I know I can just use a Bluetooth controller, but I don't carry it wherever I am with my phone)

The levels like the moving train machine, just make it come out and stay there, not continually roll back and forth till you climb it.

The level with the two doors where you jump over the gap with the 4 convierbelt things.

Turn off the spinning bolts on that stage with the flying spike.

Turn off the bridge that's falling apart (maybe, it's not that hard to beat that bit lol)

Turn off those dropping 3 spiked things in that mission you go down the elevator.

======

Not so simple hack.

I suggested a few years ago if it was possible to give Billy/Jimmy the fireball/hadoken that the boss character clone uses. They said probably not. However I found a YouTube video where someone has accomplished it. It's titled "Double Dragon 2 hack" by  伊東美咲.

I contacted them and they said they only share it for $20us, per rom hack.

I think a better one can be made and shared for free. The nerve of selling rom hacks SMH

It's a glitchy hack, seems it tries to change the sprites to the boss character, but doesn't work too well, but the projectile does.

Be great if someone coukd attempt a hack of this and is willing to share their work with others not for profit.

That person has also worked out a way to play as the final boss.

Anyone think they might be able to hack these things?

May 22, 2019, 08:51:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Actually, I just found the rom titled "Double Dragon 2 - Shadow"

Pressing select throws the fireball, holding a direction and select does the thing where he turns invisable and enters you.

It also displays all the jump things that disappear in a pattern on THAT level.... also hardcoded with inf lives and mostly 1 hit kills.

Be great if someone could work out how to extract what's been done to maybe make them gameshark/genie codes or whatever.

Found some other cool hacks there too, one where you can play as Burnov, the muscle guy, the boxer, the final boss. All a bit glitchy, but cool. Plus a hack that makes select the rising knee, tapping kick after a flying spin kick keeps it going for a bit and a few combo-like moves!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:51:38 pm by Xdegenerate »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: May 23, 2019, 08:22:53 am »
Hi, is anyone able to mod a timesplitters 2 or 3 gamecube iso and remove or greatly increase the map makers space limit plz, I've searched everywhere but nobody seems to have done this yet and i find this strange as im not the only person i know who hates to have a limit while creating maps on either game :)

Most times such limits are in games it is not because the devs are opposed to fun but a lack of memory in a given system to use for it. The would be hacker would then have to introduce some kind of streaming or "teleport" type system to go between things, neither of which is easy. Sometimes it can be because of a lack of space to store it as well (why an on disc level might be bigger than user made) which might be easier to work around, though even then devs usually don't mind forcing people to get bigger/more memory cards.

You could possibly come the other way and do something like the old Delta force games and do some procedural generation around the edges to make them appear a bit bigger.

All this is a lot of effort so I would sooner remake a PC game and stuff timesplitters assets and gameplay into that.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: May 23, 2019, 07:43:51 pm »
The Calcium Kid... They should change it to beer and make hum DuffMan. :beer:
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: May 24, 2019, 04:12:54 pm »
Would love to see the Quintet classics "Soul Blazer", "Illusion of Gaia", and "Terranigma" re-translated. By using the text font from Actraiser you'll free up screen real estate without having to mess with making a variable width font. Actraiser's font is half the height of the font used in the other three games.

These games are well known for being poorly translated the first time around. In Illusion of Gaia alone there are many issues with the speaker being misquoted, creatures being mis-named (like Leviathan is called "Riverson"), there are times when Will is thinking to himself but the dialogue suggests he's speaking out loud. And that's just one of the three games.

I believe there have been attempts to clean up the dialogue, but those have all started with the U.S. or Europe releases. Because of these issues, and the large following these games have, I think the "Quintet Trilogy" is an ideal set of candidates for re-translation from the original Japanese.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: May 24, 2019, 05:15:31 pm »
A completely "remastered" version of OoT which uses OoT Randomizer as its base for most of the ASM hacks.
https://github.com/TestRunnerSRL/OoT-Randomizer

In other words, an OoT Randomizer fork which disables the randomizing aspect of it, but keeps all of the ASM perks of it, which make OoT a much more enjoyable experience altogether.

What I'm mainly looking for, is that on top of the Randomizer ASM hacks, the only thing I think needs to be added or modified is:
  • Restore all cutscenes back into the game, to enjoy the full OoT experience without their removal (which was done due to speedrunning nature of Randomizer)
  • Remove all item/equipment randomization aspect from the project. Basically make it so that all items are located in the same places as in vanilla OoT, so that people that want to play a revamped/remastered version of vanilla OoT can do so, without having to worry about random items and such
  • All settings/toggles should be the same as vanilla OoT
  • No damage/power/price modifications when compared to vanilla OoT
I have attempted to make the changes myself, but I do not fully understand how to restore all of the cutscenes (I did manage to restore some, not all), nor how to remove the randomization from the project.

If anyone can help out, I'd be very grateful!

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: May 24, 2019, 09:16:30 pm »
I know this is an obscure game, but I wonder what it would take for someone to do a romhack of NES Knight Rider where it replaces that drab boring "copyright free" music from the intro and replaces it with an 8bit rendition of the actual TV show theme... and also maybe clean up Michael Knight's sprite so that his face doesn't look like a big black and blue splotch like half his face is missing.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: May 24, 2019, 10:42:07 pm »
You know there's an entire thread for hack ideas, right?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=3282.0

I wonder what it would take
The same thing it would take for any other game: you'd have to reverse-engineer whatever music engine the game uses and then find some way to mash in the data from a MIDI rendition of the theme (which is surely out there somewhere).  And you'd have to figure out how the game's sprites are stored – if they're just sitting there decompressed in the ROM, you'd just have to find a suitable replacement sprite and paste it in.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Kincyr

• View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: May 24, 2019, 10:48:37 pm »
Would love to see the Quintet classics "Soul Blazer", "Illusion of Gaia", and "Terranigma" re-translated. By using the text font from Actraiser you'll free up screen real estate without having to mess with making a variable width font. Actraiser's font is half the height of the font used in the other three games.
it's worth noting that Soul Blazer already has a full 8x8 font, only used for the title screen, status bar, and whenever a character is whispering. IMO it certainly could've been used for the intro, possibly to maintain the music-sync that was present in the Japanese version.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: May 24, 2019, 10:57:12 pm »
I recall the title screen music had the same sync in the Japanese and US versions.

It's only the sound-optimization-only PAL version that has the desync, if it's what I'm thinking of.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Kincyr

• View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: May 25, 2019, 02:28:26 am »
I recall the title screen music had the same sync in the Japanese and US versions.
what I meant was that the point where the Japanese title sequence restarts is about where the music track loops, whereas the US version's title sequence restarts about a half second off of the music looping.
this is because the prologue is a lot longer in the US version, (the JP version has only 4 screens of text whereas the US version has 14) though come to think of it, the prologue was probably extended so much in order to help preserve the loop-sync, since it's unlikely that anyone would go through the prologue twice in one sitting.

sorry, it turns out I made a mountain out of a molehill :banghead:

Selidor

• View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: May 25, 2019, 02:41:30 am »
I've got a couple ideas...

1. A NES emulator that uses high-resolution pulse and triangle waves, perhaps with some pre-filtering in place, to produce a more pleasant sound. The white noise channel could be replaced with some other noise type as well for a nicer sound, although I suspect that might sound strange in some games.

2. A WYSIWYG graphics, map, dialogue, event and item editor for the SNES version of Shadowrun.

3. Hacks of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube that remove the necessity for a GBA controller/screen, making it easier to play these games with friends on emulators and standard PC controllers.

loosernerdy

• View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: May 25, 2019, 07:17:14 pm »
all i want is a color swap for megaman x ( which doesn't seem like much but to me it is  :banghead: )

* i just want megaman to be green armor instead of default blue and sting chameleons power to be pink or some other color

*oh and no green and red lol don't want Christmas colors

-for more advance hacks of megaman x i would want a helment off sprite change or a female megaman

if anybody makes ether of these please post it on here for me to download

Xdegenerate

• View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: May 26, 2019, 07:18:39 am »
I've been hoping for years someone would hack either the SNES or arcade NBA JAM TE with a roster consisting of each teams all-time-best legendary players.

Like the Lakers consists of Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem, Magic Johnson, Jerry West etc...

Make a version that lasts, not just a current teams update that will be obsolete in a few months/years.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: May 26, 2019, 10:28:39 am »
Dragon Warrior (NES): fix the buggy fighter's ring. This item should improve your strength 2 points up... but it does nothing.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: May 26, 2019, 10:38:57 am »
The Calcium Kid... They should change it to beer and make hum DuffMan. :beer:

Now that would be interesting and hilarious

loosernerdy

• View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: May 26, 2019, 12:26:02 pm »
here is another -

its ether super mario world or super mario all stars ( super mario bro 3rd one ) you pick

all i want is to be able to play as lugi and his normal mushroom be taller ( lugi's' mushroom - weird mushroom ) like in the super mario maker games

should be easy with all the editors but i don't know

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #5818 on: May 26, 2019, 06:11:07 pm »
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Insert new voice clips of Lecarde Chronicles 2 Alucard back to SotN. Though that would encounter some technical difficulties due to the author mig disappeared from all social medias once again, and it's almost impossible to "brutal" decrypt voice material from the .exe file of Lecarde Chronicles 2 game.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: May 26, 2019, 11:50:32 pm »
I've been hoping for years someone would hack either the SNES or arcade NBA JAM TE with a roster consisting of each teams all-time-best legendary players.

Like the Lakers consists of Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem, Magic Johnson, Jerry West etc...

@Xdegenerate, this seems like a pretty cool idea, and it's one that can totally be done on the SNES ROM, particularly with the help of this document.  There's another version coming this summer, but everything you need to start is sitting right there within that link.

A couple of the biggest challenges might be... if you could only pick 4 or 5 legends per team, which legends would you pick?  How far back would you go?  How far forward?  What would you do about the expansion teams?  How would you gather your stats to make them comparable?

If you end up taking a read through that Hacking NBA Jam TE document and feel this is a road you'd be interested in going down, feel free to drop me a PM.  Happy to provide some thoughts/tactics that could help you take a project like this to completion.