Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

who knows how to improve this game?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1388919 times)

POWCo-op

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5720 on: April 16, 2019, 08:38:57 pm »
To better match 'Earthbound Beginnigs' and 'Earthbound'.

(Or would Earthbound Advance be better?)
This would be confusing. Mother 3 should be Earthbound 3 and Earthbound should be Earthbound 2.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #5721 on: April 17, 2019, 08:00:23 am »
A GBA Breath of Fire 1 and 2 title screen restoration patch would be cool. As would encounter rate modifiers for games like Lufia and other older JRPGs which just have relentless encounter rates.

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: April 18, 2019, 06:03:00 am »
Ha, I just spent the last hour or so having a go at it myself. The only Japanese text I can see is the menus, which are compressed. I've got as far as finding where they are, but it'd take me a bit longer to figure out the compression routine. I decided that I didn't need to worry about the compression anyway since there's enough free space to insert my own uncompressed graphics, but I haven't yet got them loading. I'm taking a break now. This person seems to have been a bit elaborate in their Github setup, my hacks are never as organised as that. :D I really think that I could get this done in a day or two, really.

That would be cool! :D

April 18, 2019, 06:07:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It would be hard to implement a camera like Sunshine since the N64 doesn't have a right analog stick.
My suggestion for a quality of life hack for Super Mario 64 would be:
  • Try to implement a camera system similar to that of the Banjo games. I feel like those control the best out of the entire platformers from the N64 era, and are the closest to the newest scheme of camera control.
  • Implement Luigi as a playable character with his own custom abilities (from SM64DS maybe) and sound clips. Toggle between Mario or Luigi in the Select Game menu with a button input or something.
  • Add the bonus stars/maps from Super Mario 64 DS (without the stupid mini games of course, just the other new 30 starts)

Well.. QoL means to improve the gameplay not the content. But I agree with the camera. A Banjo camera would be also fine.
At least a camera to center it behind mario would be a big step forward concerning playability.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: April 18, 2019, 07:04:09 am »
Parodius (SNES, PAL version): restore the uncensored graphics from the japanese version.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: April 18, 2019, 09:31:14 am »
I really think that I could get this done in a day or two, really.
Looking forward to it. As someone who plays this game once in awhile with friends, but not often enough to remember the menus, it would be very helpful to be able to read them, Battle Mode specially.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5725 on: April 18, 2019, 05:47:19 pm »
Looking forward to it. As someone who plays this game once in awhile with friends, but not often enough to remember the menus, it would be very helpful to be able to read them, Battle Mode specially.

I feel I ought to temper expectations a tad. I said I COULD get it done in a day or two, but right now I just don't have time on my hands to sit down and do it, so don't hold your breath, guys. :) I felt rather confident when I looked at it a few days ago, but after seeing that other guy had done a lot of research, I wondered if I should leave it to him, but he might have forgotten about it...

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: April 19, 2019, 02:46:50 pm »
I feel I ought to temper expectations a tad. I said I COULD get it done in a day or two, but right now I just don't have time on my hands to sit down and do it, so don't hold your breath, guys. :) I felt rather confident when I looked at it a few days ago, but after seeing that other guy had done a lot of research, I wondered if I should leave it to him, but he might have forgotten about it...

But still, it would be great if someone translates the game. Even if we have several translations, it is better than nothing ;)

umaggot

• View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: April 19, 2019, 09:05:56 pm »
Personally, I'd love to see a co-op hack for SMB2 USA, The Lost Levels, and SMB3. With The Lost Levels, I would *think* (but could be very wrong) that a lot (if not all) of the data from the SMB co-op hack could be used. As for SMB3, it's certainly co-op capable with the battle mode code, in theory. ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: April 20, 2019, 12:50:28 pm »
Super Bomberman 5 translation for multiplayer games?

I could recommend Bomberman Party Edition for PS1. Seems like nearly the same thing in terms of multiplayer content, from my memory.
(maybe not so recommendable for single-player, is just NES Bomberman 1 with an optional graphics upgrade, as well as memory card and vibration support)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: April 20, 2019, 05:55:50 pm »
I understand that this is my second post on this thread, but I once envisioned a hack of Pokemon Red/Blue that replaced the original 151 Pokemon sprites with those used in FireRed/LeafGreen that would've been released on the day the original Red/Green was released about two-to-three years ago. This would've also included replacing the back sprites of the Pokemon with those from FRLG.

James5541

• View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: April 20, 2019, 08:11:24 pm »
A hack of the OG Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games but this hack will feature actual good English
"Do a barrel roll"

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: April 20, 2019, 09:42:22 pm »
"Actual good English"?
A modern Nintendo localization can't be that poor in "good English", can it?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

James5541

• View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: April 21, 2019, 01:40:45 am »
"Actual good English"?
A modern Nintendo localization can't be that poor in "good English", can it?
I was joking lol. I know it's supposed to be proper English not actual good English. I was merely taking a stab at the games. And yes, the English is quite poor in the games. There would be points in the game when I'd be completely sucked out of the immersion due to how poor the English was
"Do a barrel roll"

NesDraug

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: April 21, 2019, 11:06:01 am »
A hack that makes The Immortal PLAYABLE. It looks cool and could be enjoyable but it's so cryptic and annoying it's virtually unplayable.

https://youtu.be/B1rOUhZHakg?t=1169
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

vergil2012

• View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: April 21, 2019, 04:07:19 pm »
I'm not sure if that's feasible, but a hack where all ''duel songs'' are available in the ''FREE DUEL'' mode for the game Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories (PS1) would be great! There is this one track which will play over and over again and after a while it's getting annoying:

Sadly there are some tracks which you will hear only once or at certain parts during the game. It would be great if these tracks can be made available in the aforementioned mode. Either you can pick the desired soundtrack or it will select one randomly from the available ones whenever you start a free duel.

Some duel songs in the game:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:28:01 pm by vergil2012 »

OliviérBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: April 21, 2019, 08:21:52 pm »
I've had this idea for a long time now, but I'm not sure if it's possible:
Castlevania III (NES) with the improvements of the Japanese version. I know there is an excellent Japanese to English translation of Akumajou Densetsu, but that has its problems. One, you can't use English passwords, or any passwords to my knowledge(like HELP ME for 9 lives, or any passwords that allow you to start with a partner); and two, many sprites that were fixed in Castlevania III are back to their original, messed up, Japanese selves (Not talking about uncensoring, talking about stuff like the lesser demon, or the fact that Trevor uses his right hand to shake his partners' left hands, the mummies' coffins not being open when they come out, etc.).

What I was thinking was just to have a "Castlevania III with Famicom Music" hack. We already have an uncensoring hack, so a music hack would be the best thing for people who prefer the Famicom style.

I already know how to edit stuff like text, but music conversion is beyond me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:22:51 pm by OliviérBaguette »

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: April 21, 2019, 10:40:52 pm »
It'd be nice to see patches for Pokémon FireRed (and compatible with the Throwback Edition hacks in particular) that properly add the Fairy type and the Physical/Special split.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: April 22, 2019, 03:33:51 am »
Megaman 1-7 with the title screen in Japanese style to match the later games:

Frederyk Strife

• View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: April 22, 2019, 09:59:29 am »
Idea 1: Give Alucard his English voice in Dawn of Sorrow
Idea 2: Restore the original dialogue in Dracula X Chronicles' Symphony of the Night
Idea 3: Map the run button in Super Mario 64 DS to something more comfortable (like L)

ShockwaveS08

• View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:20 pm »
Given how Super Mario Land DX just surfaced today, I think it'd be a good idea to try to find a way to hook into the Expert Mode scripting to allow for selecting a World to start on, not unlike how both versions of Super Mario All-Stars on SNES do...

This concept will be taking some inspiration from how Metroid II: Return of Samus can enable save-clearing functions with a tap of the Select button.

How I envision this working, would be: tapping Select once to place the text "1-1" next to the START text (it's not like Select is used at all in-game). At this point, use left/right on the D-Pad to navigate to the stage you wish to begin at, dictated by the furthest stage you have cleared at any given time (i.e. beating World 2-3 would allow you to start all the way up to World 3-1, for example). If the game has been cleared at least once, the word "EXPERT" will appear beneath "START", and a single press of D-Pad Down will make Mario's head appear beside the EXPERT text, like vanilla SML. The same stage-selection behavior would apply to Expert Mode as well.