News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1380234 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5520 on: January 21, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »
Is this a platformer?
Nearly every SNES platformer uses B to jump and Y to attack. (the only game, or at least good game, that didn't follow it was Super Metroid which at least offered a button config menu)
I'm not familiar with the game but could it not be Y in facing direction to attack and then you could have X and A for gun or bombs.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: January 21, 2019, 01:23:55 pm »
Tails Adventure (GG)
-The speed boots are always on by default or can be toggled with up/down when paused
-The teleporter replaces the boots so you get it much earlier
-The helmet defends from above only and lets you move around while using it
-Rings from enemies and walls take longer to disappear

Alternatively, a MD port would be really cool! :beer:

Those are cool ideas to improve the game a bit.

I would definitely love to see someone make a Genesis port of this game.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: January 21, 2019, 01:38:01 pm »
Given that it's based on an Amiga game (with one button) that control scheme doesn't surprise me. Sounds like whoever did it couldn't be bothered to adapt it to a system with many buttons. If it's a complete remake of Rick Dangerous then it might be worth hacking, but I'm thinking that a modern remake with both RD 1 and 2, with adjustable controls (and infinite lives), would probably be a nicer idea. Wonder if anyone has done that by now...?
It is supposed to become a full new game, and they made a demo available for download. It's not a remake(wouldn't be much of a remake anyway, given the original was available on Amiga), but more of an homage.

It reached its goal on indiegogo but the developers seem to have taken their time as it's still under development 5 years later. :) The full version might have better controls, so there's no need for hacking the demo.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/justice-beaver-new-super-nintendo-game

Mayorofunkytown

• View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: January 21, 2019, 02:16:28 pm »
ActRaiser (SNES) without the simulation mode, just the action scenes.
Hmmm what about Actraiser 2 with town simulations or just an Actraiser town simulation game. I know there are actual SIM games but I liked the way the Actraiser sim worked.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5524 on: January 21, 2019, 04:19:39 pm »
Those are cool ideas to improve the game a bit.

I would definitely love to see someone make a Genesis port of this game.

Improving the radar, nerfing the armor and maybe turning some other items like Fang and Sonic into passive abilites are other ideas I've had since. Playing through the game rn.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: January 21, 2019, 05:06:51 pm »
Hmmm what about Actraiser 2 with town simulations or just an Actraiser town simulation game. I know there are actual SIM games but I liked the way the Actraiser sim worked.

It takes a lot more work to ADD functionality to a game which doesn't previously exist, than it does to remove functionality.
Especially an entire game mode.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: January 21, 2019, 05:46:52 pm »
The King of Dragons (SNES) and many other 16 bits beat 'em ups: to jump in 8 directions, not only right and left (just like TMNT 4).

xjunox

• View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:42 pm »
It is supposed to become a full new game, and they made a demo available for download. It's not a remake(wouldn't be much of a remake anyway, given the original was available on Amiga), but more of an homage.

It reached its goal on indiegogo but the developers seem to have taken their time as it's still under development 5 years later. :) The full version might have better controls, so there's no need for hacking the demo.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/justice-beaver-new-super-nintendo-game

The demo is a remke of rick dangerous and the game they are releasing is a completely different game so I think it would be worth fixing.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: January 22, 2019, 08:35:47 am »
The demo is a remke of rick dangerous and the game they are releasing is a completely different game so I think it would be worth fixing.
If you're one of the backers of that game so you should just ask the developers to fix it for you. Surely they must still have the source code.

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: January 22, 2019, 10:48:40 am »
I tried to play Tales of Phantasia (SNES) a while back, but I ended up hating it and quitting after struggling to get through the big halfway dungeon and deciding the game was too much of a grind. I think this game would be hugely improved if the difficulty was rebalanced. Dropping the encounter rate to 50 percent or less and boosting the earned experience and money would be a great start. I found a Game Genie code that supposedly reduces the encounter rate to zero, so I'll mess around with it when I get a chance to see if I can get the ball rolling.

I saw a review today which said that there's an NPC in the game who teaches you the ability to use special moves via Street Fighter-style command inputs instead of the L and R buttons, which allows you to perform a larger number of different special moves per battle, thereby enabling some crazy combos. I had no idea about this, and it's actually what piqued my interest in the game again. You must not be able to get this upgrade until pretty late in the game, because I never found the NPC who sells it to you. Also, the review mentions that the upgrade costs a ton of money. It would be pretty cool to dummy the NPC out of the game and just give the player the upgrade for free right from the start. The game would probably be a lot easier and more fun if you learned the command inputs and experimented with combos.

I also seem to remember one of the problems with the game was that you burned through MP really fast, and since your companions are controlled by the computer, it could be difficult to conserve. I think a neat solution to this would be to have your characters automatically recover some or all of their MP after a battle, or to have them slowly recover MP as they walk on the map. I guess you could also just adjust the MP costs, although this would allow you to cast more spells per battle rather than just making it so you don't have to use recovery items as often after battle.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:57:38 am by Q »
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:41 pm »
I also seem to remember one of the problems with the game was that you burned through MP really fast, and since your companions are controlled by the computer, it could be difficult to conserve.
There's a menu option to adjust the AI (to make it use weaker/no magic, I believe), as well as I believe you can also use the spell menu to restrict which spells they should use.

xjunox

• View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: January 23, 2019, 01:28:56 pm »
If you're one of the backers of that game so you should just ask the developers to fix it for you. Surely they must still have the source code.

Well it took 4 to 5 yers to do justice beaver so I doubt they would care.  I only asked here because I thought it might be simple for people who make hacks but I dont really know.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: January 23, 2019, 01:38:53 pm »
I tried to play Tales of Phantasia (SNES) a while back, but I ended up hating it and quitting after struggling to get through the big halfway dungeon and deciding the game was too much of a grind. I think this game would be hugely improved if the difficulty was rebalanced. Dropping the encounter rate to 50 percent or less and boosting the earned experience and money would be a great start. I found a Game Genie code that supposedly reduces the encounter rate to zero, so I'll mess around with it when I get a chance to see if I can get the ball rolling.

I saw a review today which said that there's an NPC in the game who teaches you the ability to use special moves via Street Fighter-style command inputs instead of the L and R buttons, which allows you to perform a larger number of different special moves per battle, thereby enabling some crazy combos. I had no idea about this, and it's actually what piqued my interest in the game again. You must not be able to get this upgrade until pretty late in the game, because I never found the NPC who sells it to you. Also, the review mentions that the upgrade costs a ton of money. It would be pretty cool to dummy the NPC out of the game and just give the player the upgrade for free right from the start. The game would probably be a lot easier and more fun if you learned the command inputs and experimented with combos.

I also seem to remember one of the problems with the game was that you burned through MP really fast, and since your companions are controlled by the computer, it could be difficult to conserve. I think a neat solution to this would be to have your characters automatically recover some or all of their MP after a battle, or to have them slowly recover MP as they walk on the map. I guess you could also just adjust the MP costs, although this would allow you to cast more spells per battle rather than just making it so you don't have to use recovery items as often after battle.

I've actually been working pretty extensively on Tales of Phantasia for the past number of months!

The Combo Command is what you're talking about and it's honestly a pain in the ass to perform any of the techniques with it. Legitimately, it's almost asinine and kind of worthless in the long run. The only benefit is it allows you to use any skill without having to have them equipped in four slots.

I'm planning to adjust the encounter rate and everything else when I'm able to. Though balancing is not my strength so that would probably need a ton of time and effort to get just right. But I have a topic that I just posted in not too long ago where you can sort of see what I've been doing.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: January 24, 2019, 05:04:15 pm »
It would be nice if the beeps in 1943 NES were removed. They always bug me. :) lol
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

pocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:45 am »
Zelda reskin for Golden Axe Warrior please.

I'd probably play a lot of the blatant ripoffs of my favorite games if they were presented as what they really were. The only real issue is if it plays slightly different from the thing it's ripping off.  You can't just take a sprite from another game and paste it in or it really screws with your muscle memory. That's a big part of why I hate Mario Bros 2 JPN. Same sprites as Mario 1, but that dang bounce Mario does when he jumps on an enemy really throws off my game.

Anyway... yeah... Please Zelda-fy Golden Axe Warrior somebody. And Neutopia too while we're at it.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: January 25, 2019, 02:41:58 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Game Boy Color port of Ghosts'n Goblins that will change the shield weapon back to look like a cross once again.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: January 26, 2019, 12:07:30 pm »
This could create a balance issue, but I have two suggestions because of it:

The Shining Force Series Monsters/Boss Encounters. I think to fully enjoy a encounter and actually listen to it's battle themes fully I think a unit should be allowed to keep to continuing a encounter until you decide whether or not you like your unit to run away during the in-battle.

But since Units go down easily regardless, I suggest that both player and enemy units get a HP Buff and raise certain stats.

Also there is a few unused graphics floating around that could use restoration.

MetalSmasher86

• View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: January 27, 2019, 03:15:52 pm »
There has been a recent discovery in the classic F-Zero world that I think needs some attention. So we know about the Satellaview BS F-Zero Grand Prix game that was basically weekly satellite-based remakes of the original F-Zero, with one league for each week. Each league added a new never-before-seen track at the end, and these new tracks were combined together to become their own BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 Practice ROM that we can download and play today.

However, there was also a Soundlink version of BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 that lasted two weeks and featured 5 additional tracks on top of the new tracks from the first BS F-Zero GP. Week 1 introduced Forest 1 and Forest 2, and Week 2 introduced Forest 3 and Metal Fort 1 & 2. For a long time, those tracks have been unknown to the rest of the world outside Japan...until now! Recent video has surfaced of both weeks of the Soundlink version of BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2, and now the world can see what the elusive Forest and Metal Fort tracks looked like!

Week 1 (Featuring Forest 1 & 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-Iu-p52ek
Week 2 (Featuring Forest 3 + Metal Fort 1 & 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urp8aF71YMY

With this discovery, we can finally make the classic SNES F-Zero truly complete! These new tracks are enough to be hacked into their own league (like the Ace League before it), and if Grego is up to it, they could be made a part of F-Zero Final, and we'd have all 25 tracks from the OG F-Zero and both BS F-Zero Grand Prix games together in one. Imagine this:

Joker League
1. Forest 1
2. Metal Fort 1
3. Forest 2
4. Metal Fort 2
5. Forest 3

Also, since BS F-Zero GP 2 used copyrighted music instead of in-house remixes of the game music like the first BS F-Zero GP, somebody on Nicovideo made a SNES-style imagining of what the Metal Fort music might sound like, so that could be made as the music for the Metal Fort tracks if somebody can pull this off. Here's the music (note that the minimap in the corner of the image is not what either of the Metal Fort tracks actually look like): https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28767967

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: January 29, 2019, 05:20:33 pm »
I'd love to see the first DBZ Super Butoden fully translated including the intro and credits. Granted its not a great game but since the others have been, it would at least round out the SNES trilogy.

Another game that I'm really surprised never got an English translation was Godzilla Kaiju Daikessen for SNES. It probably would be best to make the title screen say Godzilla Great Monster Battle, or Destroy All Monsters since that was the name Nintendo Power called it.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: January 30, 2019, 02:49:47 pm »
I think as a way to honor the original Resident Evil 2 due to the release of the remake, I think it's time that the original RE2 got a bit of a upgrade. In order for this to be the best version of RE2 made by the community I think the GameCube version should be used as modding base as it already has most of the features all except the gallery I think.

Things to add from all previous revisions of RE2 -

Insert the Randomization Mode if possible
EX Files from the N64 Version, this is important because it connects with all other games and including Resident Evil Zero.
Restore the Corpse of a Hunter found in the Secret Lab from the N64 Version.
Restore the Falling Head during the first Licker Encounter, I don't know if this was still the only censored part of the game.
Change the password from GUEST to Nemesis from the N64 version (this is optional though, I think Guest I might be the canon password).