News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1111639 times)

mamertos

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5500 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:35 am »
ActRaiser (SNES) without the simulation mode, just the action scenes.

Actually you can do that in the pal version since you can choose "adventure mode" or "action mode". Even you can set the difficulty level. Beside, an user made a pal to ntsc patch for this game.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: January 17, 2019, 12:29:47 pm »

Rock and Roll Racing (SNES) with more/different classic rock/metal songs, like:

Led Zeppelin-Communication Breakdown
Metallica-The Four Horsemen
Booker T-Green Onions
Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell
Dio-Holy Diver

Already doable with the MSU-1 hack which allowed users to insert the original music (obtained by their own means for copyright reasons)?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

radorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: January 17, 2019, 08:55:13 pm »
I was casually listening to the music from the GameBoy Turok games and remembered an interview with the composer that I read somewhere a long time ago, where he mentioned how, for at least one of the games(I think  Turok 2), he did program in stereo effects into the music, but somehow the person in charge of putting the ROM together slipped and turned off the stereo flag on the player routine or something like that, and, now, they play in mono in the finished game. I can't find the interview again and I think the technical details were pretty vague and didn't go much further than this anyway.
I was wondering if this could be restored through hacking, and if anyone would be interested in trying their hand at it.
These games have great music and I certainly see how some parts were probably meant to have stereo panning but yet sound in mono. Just before writing this, I loaded the GBSs for the four games (1, 2, 3, Rage Wars) and only Rage Wars seems to show channel differences on a stereo VU meter consistently, although there seems to be some here and there in T3 too and perhaps some in T1, but I'm speaking from memory in T1's case. I think the whole story was specifically about T2, but I guess it could also apply to T1? no idea.

Anyway, that's the story. Lost stereo panning in one or more Turok games for the GB, which have some pretty sweet tracks, maybe still buried in the code waiting for a brave soul to dig them up... ¿Anyone up for it?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:04:21 am by radorn »

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:59 pm »

Look up the Nintendo Super System (NSS) version of ActRaiser. It's literally what you're describing, and it's an official version of the game! The Nintendo Super System was an arcade cabinet that used SNES hardware and ran modified versions of commercial SNES games. Most of the games are basically the same as commercial versions, but ActRaiser was reworked into a pure action game to be more arcade friendly. Because of how the cabinets were designed, you can actually boot the ROM up in an emulator or even on a regular SNES using a flash cart and play it without any issues (you don't have to worry about the game demanding quarters or anything like that). I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think it's based on the harder Japanese difficulty.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: January 18, 2019, 01:18:45 am »
The PAL version of ActRaiser has that mode as well (or a close variation of it).

Although like other Quintet games, the PAL version suffers from 50hz sound with 60hz gameplay.
So it will play slowly was correct music on PAL consoles, or full speed with sped up music on NTSC consoles.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5505 on: January 18, 2019, 05:26:18 am »
the PAL version suffers from 50hz sound with 60hz gameplay.
So it will play slowly was correct music on PAL consoles, or full speed with sped up music on NTSC consoles.

I thought the PAL sound thing was because the SNES sound is a totally independent chip which doesn't care if it's 50 or 60hz, unlike the CPU. I actually have a PAL SNES which I added a 50/60 switch to, and you can flick between the two without any change in sound, even while the game is running. 60hz stretches the image and makes it run faster, but again, no change in sound.

This is NOT the case with the NES as the sound is CPU controlled (Mega Drive has the same issue). So, again, sound shouldn't be a problem.

stevengeilberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: January 18, 2019, 05:30:49 am »
Already doable with the MSU-1 hack which allowed users to insert the original music (obtained by their own means for copyright reasons)?

I see, thanks.  :beer:

Look up the Nintendo Super System (NSS) version of ActRaiser. It's literally what you're describing, and it's an official version of the game! The Nintendo Super System was an arcade cabinet that used SNES hardware and ran modified versions of commercial SNES games. Most of the games are basically the same as commercial versions, but ActRaiser was reworked into a pure action game to be more arcade friendly. Because of how the cabinets were designed, you can actually boot the ROM up in an emulator or even on a regular SNES using a flash cart and play it without any issues (you don't have to worry about the game demanding quarters or anything like that). I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think it's based on the harder Japanese difficulty.

Very interesting, never heard of that. I'll check it out, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #5507 on: January 18, 2019, 09:16:28 am »
Castlevania Dracula X SNES walk speed restoration + balance fix : Restore Richter's regular walk speed to be similar to his Rondo/Dracula X Chronicles counterpart. Also rebalance the damage output of sub weapons/Item Crashes (especially the Key sub weapon and the Flame Whip Item Crash) to be similar to the latter.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: January 18, 2019, 10:53:48 am »
Just to clarify something that I didn't realize before: Apparently every version of ActRaiser has a pure-action mode, although they're all a bit different in terms of difficulty. In the Japanese and US versions of the game, you have to unlock this mode by beating the game. Quick breakdown of the differences:

Japanese version: This is the original version. I haven't beaten this version of the game yet, so I wasn't able to test it (does anyone have a PAR code?), but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be much harder than the US version. This version is available in English thanks to Aeon Genesis, so it's still accessible to non-Japanese speakers.

European version: This appears to be the best version of the game. The action mode doesn't need to be unlocked, and both the story and action modes now have three difficulty settings. The difficulty has been totally rebalanced, with certain things being done to make the game harder and other things being done to make it easier. This post on GameFAQs goes over some of the differences. I also noticed that enemies that took two hits to kill in the US version now only take one hit in Beginner and Normal difficulty, your lives are capped at five, and you can find scroll power-ups that allow you to cast magic spells. Overall, I'd say the European version feels like the most balanced, polished version of the game, which makes sense since it was the final home console version.

NSS/Arcade version: I'm not sure which version came first, but this appears to be very similar to playing the European version's Action Mode on Beginner or Normal difficulty (didn't test it extensively enough to be sure which). There are a few differences that I noticed: The Mode 7 stage intros (where the map rotates and zooms in) from the story mode have been retained, you have less time to complete stages, and you have infinite continues instead of none (I'm pretty sure if you were playing the game on an actual NSS cabinet, it would ask for more money when you got a game over—but when you play on a normal SNES, it just kicks you back to the beginning of the stage with a fresh set of lives). Also, it's an NTSC ROM, so if you're worried about timing issues with the European version, you might want to try this instead.

Edit: I'm going to throw together a quick de-censoring hack for the US and European versions of ActRaiser. The US and European versions have improved monster sprites, rebalanced difficulty, and other improvements, but some religious iconography was censored from the simulation part of the game (see here for more info). These graphics aren't compressed, so it should be an easy change.

I might also make some small changes to the script. It kind of bugs me how certain names are in ALL CAPS, plus I'd like to fix any typos I can find, if there are any.

Edit 2: If anyone who knows ASM wants to take a crack at ActRaiser, I have a neat gameplay tweak idea that might spice the game up. In the original Japanese version of the game, more powerful spells cost more MP, but it was changed in the US and European versions so that all spells only cost one MP. It would be pretty cool to add different MP costs to the different spells again (although not necessarily the exact same costs as the Japanese version) but also make it possible to use L and R to toggle through your different spells on the fly during the action sequences in Story Mode.

In the European version's Action Mode, you find magic scroll power-ups that allow you to cast spells. You can only use each one once and only in reverse of the order you collected them in (i.e., you must use the last one you collected first). It would be really helpful to be able to toggle between the different scrolls you collect so that you could be more strategic about saving certain spells for certain situations.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:21:40 pm by Q »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: January 18, 2019, 02:50:58 pm »
The PAL Action mode is different in that it is independent of the save file. You start with minimum max HP and there are powerups which raise it. Also spells can be found as powerups as well (from what I read, the Pro Mode in JP/US is no magic)
I think you also get 1-Ups for certain points (20,000?) but no continues (whereas arcade would let you continue, since of course it wants you to put more coins in the machine).

From what I understand, NSS could be set to "skill" mode (where you need to insert coins at game over) or "time" mode (where coins are only good for a certain time).
The one actual NSS machine I ever played was set to time mode, and only to give one minute per credit. :P

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: January 18, 2019, 04:17:43 pm »
Here's the graphics de-censoring patch for ActRaiser. It works on the US and European versions. It restores the Star of David and the Eye of Providence, and it switches the skull back to the cross and the scary face back to the skull. I'll upload it to the site once I get a chance to look at the game's script.

Edit: Apparently the final boss was also changed to look less demonic in the US and European versions—but the graphics appear to be compressed, so I won't be able to change them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:39:41 pm by Q »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:17 pm »
A hack of Battletoads where you play as Pimple (the big guy). He walks a little slower, and all his attacks are the big hits, delivered by holding the B button briefly.

xjunox

• View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: January 19, 2019, 01:28:32 am »
Would anyone easily be able to hack a snes rom to remove up as jump and see whats wrong with the music.  There is already a button jump and having up as jump gets you killed.  Thanks

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: January 19, 2019, 01:37:50 pm »
There MIGHT be someone (not anyone for sure will, I emphasize) willing to look at it if you tell us what game it is.

JacquesPaught

• View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: January 19, 2019, 06:15:20 pm »
Copying this over from a thread I just made without realizing that requests aren't supposed to be posted as their own thread.

There are a few changes I would like to implement in Super Mario All-Stars (SNES), two of which are high priority and the third is just a "would be great, but if it's not possible it's no big deal."

1. I want to make it so Fire Mario reverts into Super Mario when taking damage, rather than turning into Small Mario. This is to maintain consistency with the NTSC version of Super Mario Bros. 3 and all modern 2D Mario platformers since Super Mario Advance.

2. I want to apply the "Brick Fix" patch for Super Mario Bros. and The Lost Levels that can be found on this website, that makes Mario's physics when jumping up into a block match the NES version of those games. This patch already exists, but I don't entirely know how to merge it with another patch that would include change #1.

3. If possible, I would like to make it so upon starting up the game, it will skip past the All-Stars title screen and game select menu, skipping straight to the title screen of Super Mario Bros. I already have SMB2 and SMB3 on my SNES Classic Edition in their Advance port forms, so having the SNES versions of those games is sort of redundant.

If anyone knows how to implement these changes or knows a better place to find information, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: January 19, 2019, 07:09:57 pm »
As mentioned we are not mindreaders so game names help. Pending that though if you are playing on an emulator would it be possible to just map up on the controller/keyboard to a far away key for that game?

Other than that it will probably be similar to a control remapping hack, though depending upon the nature of the game it might be better to lean towards the editing game logic, rather than twiddling debounce data, but it should all come from the same place so no great hassle there.

Mario Bros.

• View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:33 am »
hi ,

the game Mickey Mousescapade must be hacked for be played with 2 players , minnie is already in the game , it's not too difficult to make it  ::)
PS: A bad request's reader is a bad helper

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5517 on: January 20, 2019, 09:09:51 pm »
Tails Adventure (GG)
-The speed boots are always on by default or can be toggled with up/down when paused
-The teleporter replaces the boots so you get it much earlier
-The helmet defends from above only and lets you move around while using it
-Rings from enemies and walls take longer to disappear

Alternatively, a MD port would be really cool! :beer:
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

xjunox

• View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: January 21, 2019, 02:21:11 am »
The game is justice beaver (rick dangerous remake demo)(snes). The buttons are x is jump, up is jump, hold A plus up is gun, hold A plus down is bomb, and hold A plus left or right attacks in that direction. Could they all be changed so its just one button?  L and  R could be the left and right attack. X jump A gun B bomb. The music is also messed up.  I dont know if the music is in the game or just messed up but there is rick dangerous soundtracks that could be used if its not to hard. Theres 4 levels and music seem fine in the rest of the game just not on the levels. Thanks

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5519 on: January 21, 2019, 06:45:57 am »
The game is justice beaver (rick dangerous remake demo)(snes).

Given that it's based on an Amiga game (with one button) that control scheme doesn't surprise me. Sounds like whoever did it couldn't be bothered to adapt it to a system with many buttons. If it's a complete remake of Rick Dangerous then it might be worth hacking, but I'm thinking that a modern remake with both RD 1 and 2, with adjustable controls (and infinite lives), would probably be a nicer idea. Wonder if anyone has done that by now...?