News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1380387 times)

Sephirous

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5380 on: November 28, 2018, 02:23:44 am »
I just found out that the Japanese version of Top Gun for NES has in game music. Which makes sense because the demo had it but not the game play in the American version. So, my idea is, create a patch that makes the American version have the music in game play too.  :thumbsup:

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: November 28, 2018, 04:28:52 pm »
One for Mario Golf Advance Court: Remove partner AI in Story Mode.
'cause, from what I read, the AI's performance is the polar opposite to that of the player, and that on Doubles' Matches really screws up the player.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:04 pm »
I'd like to have co-op in 1943 for NES.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #5383 on: November 29, 2018, 06:59:54 am »
I just found out that the Japanese version of Top Gun for NES has in game music. Which makes sense because the demo had it but not the game play in the American version. So, my idea is, create a patch that makes the American version have the music in game play too.  :thumbsup:
Wow! Why, murica?? Y U DO DIS?
There are more differences. The airplane carrier has some different graphics when taking off.
But, all of the japanese rom is in english. It just seems to be the better, more complete version. Why hack the US one?
The J ver has:
- music during gameplay
- a unique airplane image after a mission
- credits at the end of the game
- better animation when taking off

debatable if better or worse:
- a different map
- different disclaimer screen at the start
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:12:30 am by nesrocks »

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: December 01, 2018, 10:42:04 pm »
Oh boy, I've got plenty here!

I've got some Bowsette/Super Crown game/Hack ideas that would be a good idea to work out. Initially, an SMB3 ROM Hack replacing Bowser with Bowsette was what I was gonna suggest...until I did it and am adding MORE to it. So here's some of the others I have too, mainly a Bowsettevania game which is sort of a mix between Castlevania and Zelda 2.

I'm keeping this spoiler free, please note me if interested in more. See below:

=Layout=
The background setting could be something like Castlevania (Peach's Castle) using the SMB3 palette since there's so many castle and tower designs in that game anyways, wouldn't be hard using SMB3 layout. As for enemies, would be a up to someone to decide on whether Toads, Yoshi, etc. Speaking of Castlevania, it could even be more like the 3rd game where you have different allies with attributes. Like Boosette able to float/move through certain walls (like Invisible cap), Chain Chompette being a strong weapon once unlocked (like SM:RPG). There would be those giant SMB3 chests all over the castle to collect things in too.

I'm pondering, if maybe Boosette can be made a playable character, would considering giving her some 'legs' but probably not. She can float and hover for short periods of time. Can spook enemies to stun and pass by them. Stunned enemies you can walk past so that'd get rid of issues of tight corridors. Boosette would be able to hide/go invisible like in the Paper Mario games Lady Bow in order to prevent damage. Think of the stone form of the Tanuki suit. Once unlocked, she can be swapped out at a save point. Instead of fire breath or Bowsette bomb, Boosette's specials (same as SMB3 Bowser, can break blocks) can spook to stun enemies and lick to damage.

Other -ette characters can appear in the game to provide support, like if you can rescue some of them, they'll open up a shop for you (Kamette/Goombette) or health items from others like Koopas. Also hidden chests and secret items/weapons so exploration would be more encouraged.

=Mechanics=
Similar to maybe Zelda 1 or 2 where you gain health by beating bosses. Exp points from enemies and bosses for Kamette's shop. Coins used for currency at Goombette's item shop. Allows you to switch characters at will like Castlevania 3 if using a partner system. Maybe swap at just save points if only Bowsette and Boosette. When Bowsette (or Boosette) start losing health, they lose clothing too. At 1/2 health the skirt comes off, then when only 1/4 left, the stockings are gone and she's bare legged. Could even see about removing arm bracelets to make it appear more 'naked' in this regard.

The same blocks would be used over from SMB3 so it'd still kinda have that Mario aesthetic. So you can hit question blocks, regular ones, hidden blocks (Boosette can easily find), and pipes. Late game will allow warp pipes to visit different areas of the castle for fast travel I'm pondering if after every boss a warp pipe opens up and it takes you to the foyer. Keys would definitely be a use here. The castle would be set so you would need a key in order to advance to the first 2 bosses and then allow branching paths for like the next 3 maybe so you can pick and choose which you want to face next.

=Weapons=
(1 handed)
-Koopa Mace
-Wands
-Piranha Plant whip
+more

(throwing)
-Veggies
-Hammers
-Chain Chompette
+more

(2 handed)
-Great Firesword
-Giant Hammer
+more

(shields - can't be used while 2 handed weapons equipped)
-Wood shield
-Metal Mario shield
-Bowser shield

(health)
-Candy (magic gauge)
-Super Mushroom
-Meat
-Full chicken (full health)

=Additional=
-As a bonus, Mario's or Luigi's notes which would briefly give hints to some secret areas or how to beat bosses. Probably would work better if Capt. Toadette's treasure hunting notes.
-A Kamette potion shop for health/magic (for skills like fire breath), if you get enough skill exp you can use it to level up or upgrade weapons or make your consumption or skills take less. To refill the gauge, it's by defeating enemies by jumping or using weapons on them.
-Maybe have a Goombette weapon shop, one did in SM:RPG so why not? It'd better give coin collecting more of a purpose than.
-Have Koopa Troopa save points.

To go even further beyond, consider giving limited inventory and to have one of the regular/smaller Boosettes (or Lakitette) store some items. You can get them all around the castle like Resident Evil. Probably better if in the Goombette item shop to have that option to [buy, sell, store].

=Bosses=
Was thinking one of the bosses could be Pink Gold Peach from the Mari Kart games. Somewhat like a liquid shadow of a shamed princess (or Liquid Peach, kek). And have some secret bosses.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: December 02, 2018, 05:50:19 am »
- Firepower 2000, a.k.a. Super SWIV (SNES): continue feature after game over.

- Life Force (NES): restore the ending from jap version.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:39:54 am by mamertos »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: December 02, 2018, 01:48:04 pm »
Not sure how feasible changing Life Force is.
Salamander used one of Konami's VRC mappers (in fact, it was the only released game to use VRC3, and I'm pretty sure if a VRC5 ever existed, it was never used in any released game).
I think those were generally efficient than Nintendo's mapper (maybe? I mean why else would they R&D them if they weren't better?) but Nintendo made third-parties make do with Nintendo's hardware outside Japan.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:09 am »
I would like someone to look into a fix for the train stage in Ninja Gaiden II for NES. As I recall, it's stage 2-2. When I play it on the go, the graphics are glitched so much that it's unplayable. They shift both left and right and I can't see where I'm going. Sound works and controls work. This doesn't happen in Mega Man 5, where you ride a water bike, or in Mitsume ga Tooru where you ride on a truck, so I'm personally at a loss to know what could be causing it.
Now you're playing in... three dimensions.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5388 on: December 04, 2018, 06:17:45 am »
I would like someone to look into a fix for the train stage in Ninja Gaiden II for NES. As I recall, it's stage 2-2. When I play it on the go, the graphics are glitched so much that it's unplayable. They shift both left and right and I can't see where I'm going. Sound works and controls work. This doesn't happen in Mega Man 5, where you ride a water bike, or in Mitsume ga Tooru where you ride on a truck, so I'm personally at a loss to know what could be causing it.

What emulator are you using? There's no reason it shouldn't work. It's either a bad emulator or a bad ROM. Or you're playing the NTSC version in PAL or vice versa.

MisterE

• View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: December 05, 2018, 12:34:40 am »
i'd like to actually make myself, a super mario bros 3 hack that makes the hammer suit appear as commonly as the leaf or fireflower. i just downloaded a smb3 level editor and it doesn't appear that you can normally place the hammer or tanooki inside the standard sized ? boxes, but that's what i'd like to do.

i would like to completely remove the fireflower and standard racoon suit from the game, and replace them with hammer, tanooki, and frog suits. i would probably judge each item box in the game on a case by case basis to try to make sure that one of each are appearing in early levels, giving you a chance to play them with those rare suits that you'd never get in those levels, and after that having probably a little more focus on hammer suits with occasional tanoookis and frogs (probably more frogs than tanookis since tanooki is basically the same as racoon).

would this be possible with a simple level editor or would it need to be a more involved hack?

Q

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: December 05, 2018, 12:51:35 pm »
It would be awesome if someone could restore the anime-style graphics to Space Megaforce and the European version of Super Aleste. The graphics are only present in the original Japanese version (called Super Aleste). I'd just play the Japanese version since there isn't that much text and the important menus are mostly in English, but the US and European versions have much higher quality voice samples. I looked into restoring the graphics myself a while back, but of course they're compressed, so I don't have the ability to change them.

There was also a song that was dummied out of the US and Europeon versions, but someone already fixed it. If the graphics get fixed, we'll finally have a definitive version of the game.
Sneko, the Super Nintendo Entertainment Kitty, wishes you luck.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: December 05, 2018, 07:44:39 pm »
Any suitable RPG to use Paper Mario's exp system, especially if it's solo or if all members always get the same exp. How it works is it uses the same exp requirement for every level up (100 in PM), with enemies giving less after each level up and they can eventually give nothing. When they start to give too little in a given area, it makes a good gauge to know you're leveled enough for a boss without the risk of being over-leveled. I like the anti-grinding aspect of it too.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #5392 on: December 06, 2018, 05:32:54 am »
ROM hack of NES Mega Man series that accurately reconstructs Rosenkreuzstilette/Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel into 8 bit (boss/stage trap behavior, soundtrack, and such)

Improve the MegaMari NES hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1127/
to make all tracks chiptune version of music from the actual MegaMari game
Oh well, the hack shows limitless potential but the original author seems to be missing...it definitely could be improved but boss AI/behavoir is a tough problem unless to break the game and made 100% custom one for each boss. Could be built on engine of other games like Mega Man 2 or 3 instead of being limited to the first game.

Castlevania Bloodlines prototype mix: Utilize object elements in the already leaked 0.3 version (https://tcrf.net/Proto:Castlevania:_Bloodlines/Version_0.3) and recreate the Zeppelin/German factory scenario in 0.5 version as much as possible. Or adding as much as those elements back to the retail version as long as ROM space allows vise versa.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: December 06, 2018, 02:28:44 pm »
I've been playing a lot of the Street Fighter II games for the SNES recently, and there are some tweaks I'd love to see for these games someday.

In Street Fighter II Turbo, Ryu's ending is glitched and some of the text doesn't display. I assumed the problem was just caused by some typos in the script, but I looked into it today and couldn't identify any errors. If anyone can figure out what's causing this issue and fix it, that would be awesome.

Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers is probably the best version of SF2 on the SNES, but it's missing a few features.

Speed: In Turbo, the speed setting can go up to four normally and up to 10 with the Mega Turbo cheat, but in Super it can only go up to three. There may be technical reasons the game had to be slowed down, but if not, it would be awesome to add the faster gameplay back and change the default speed to three or four. Edit: The Pro Action Replay code 7E00F014 makes the fights run much faster, so it does seem to be possible. There's also an unused cheat code that could be repurposed as the Mega Turbo code.

Victory quotes: In Super, some of the victory quotes that were present in World Warrior and Turbo were cut. It would be neat to add the extra quotes back.

Censorship: I'd also like to restore the two censored victory quotes from the English prototype of World Warrior. At some point, I'm going to look into making a hack that restores Balrog/Boxer's censored quote since this quote is present in Super. I'd also like to add the blood back to the loser character portraits. I'll look into doing this myself at some point in the near future. If it doesn't involve decompressing the graphics, I should be able to do it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:54:56 pm by Q »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #5394 on: December 06, 2018, 03:34:32 pm »
From that page: "mirror battles are not possible in this version of Street Fighter II". Huh... Yes, they're possible...

Q

• Meow, busy hackers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: December 06, 2018, 06:28:24 pm »
From that page: "mirror battles are not possible in this version of Street Fighter II". Huh... Yes, they're possible...

It's referring to the single-player mode. There are no mirror matches in single player. There are mirror matches in Vs. Mode, but the victory quotes don't display there in World Warrior.

I'm also hoping someone can eventually restore the Nin Nin Hall sign from Boxer's stage, but I'm pretty sure the background graphics are compressed.

PRG

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5396 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46:19 am »
Some ideas I had in my mind for a while.

I'd like to see a hack for the GBA Final Fantasy games (1, 2, 4, and 5) that removes the gradient on the menu and text boxes and leaves them a solid color, similar to their SNES counterparts. In my opinion, I think for darker colors, the gradients look slightly ugly. And maybe one for 6 that makes the boxes in FF6's battles to not be a lighter color than text boxes and the menu.

I'd also like to see something similar to the FF6 color restoration but for FF1, 2, 4, and 5 that reverts brightened tiles and sprites back to their original brightness. Like, including FF Origins for DoS.

And optionally change battle backgrounds to their simpler SNES versions, just for fun.

On the Dawn of Souls side of things, I wonder how possible it is to replace all graphics and sounds to their NES counterparts.

All of this, essentially, so you basically can play with the quality of life changes and other additions of the GBA versions but with old coats of paint.

Jaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: December 10, 2018, 07:14:43 am »
River City Ransom / Downtown Nekketsu Monotogari

I'd like to see a hack that is more than just a simple graphical hack. Anything really!

This game deserves so much more attention, has a lot to offer too. It has kick ass music, large open world map (sorta), fast paced beat em up action, tons of moves and techniques, RPG elements to level up your character and many other games from its series to rip graphics and music from!  The series is still going strong to this day with the original 8bit graphics and feel being used (check out River City Tokyo Rumble and River City Rival Showdown on the 3DS). There's never been a better time to hack this game!!

I can't seem to find any data online for editing maps.

Imagine..

- Double Dragon levels in River City Ransom!
- River City Ransom 2: Slick's Revenge
- River City Ransom with the maps of the 68x version (more screens, rival schools accessible)

I'm sure if the maps could be rearranged a bit, the bosses names and graphics changed a bit, dialogue revamp.. this could easily become a popular series of hack!

Years ago there were some tools being worked on, all seemed to have disappeared, BARF was the name of one.  If such tools existed right now I personally would start my own hack.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: December 10, 2018, 08:30:34 am »
On the Dawn of Souls side of things, I wonder how possible it is to replace all graphics and sounds to their NES counterparts.
Altering the sound of Dawn of Souls is definitely possible, however I tought a "sound restoration" patch for DoS who'd restore it to NES-like sound would be very low, that's why I didn't do it. Even a version that would restore it to PlayStation 1's sound would have low demand, as the GBA version of the game ceased to be popular since other remakes were made - and those interested in the originals would play the NES originals instead. So yeah, that's why it wasn't done, nothing technical.

PRG

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5399 on: December 10, 2018, 01:34:09 pm »
Altering the sound of Dawn of Souls is definitely possible, however I tought a "sound restoration" patch for DoS who'd restore it to NES-like sound would be very low, that's why I didn't do it. Even a version that would restore it to PlayStation 1's sound would have low demand, as the GBA version of the game ceased to be popular since other remakes were made - and those interested in the originals would play the NES originals instead. So yeah, that's why it wasn't done, nothing technical.

Ah well, that's too bad about the demand for it. Now I'm kinda curious what the ps1 to gba conversion would have sounded like since I didn't even think about it.