News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1015802 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5360 on: November 20, 2018, 11:20:09 pm »
According to this forum post, in the PAL version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (i.e. Tony Hawk's Skateboarding) the following three music tracks that were present in the NTSC version:

Vilified - Even Rude
Screamer/Nothing to Me - Speedealer
Euro-Barge - The Vandals

... were replaced with these three:

Le Hot - Grand Unified
Ain't Got Time to Waste - Aim feat. YZ
Blue Thunder - Aquasky

I wonder if it would be possible to insert all six tracks (three region-exclusive + three from the opposite region) onto a single game disc/image and edit the game's playlist to play the additional tracks, ideally in alternating order (region-exclusive -> opposite-region-exclusive -> region-exclusive, etc.).

I'm not sure if the Playstation version would have the extra space to accommodate the extra tracks, but I'm pretty confident that the Dreamcast version would (in GDI form at the very least).

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: November 21, 2018, 04:27:13 pm »
Battletoads (NES): after game over, start from the stage you have reached and not from the beginning

ShockwaveS08

• View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: November 21, 2018, 05:37:15 pm »
Shadow Master (PSX): Adjust the control scheme to better-resemble modern FPS games, like a certain band of RH.net modders did for the PSX version of Quake II.

Arty

• View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: November 21, 2018, 10:23:53 pm »
Was just wondering if someone could port the Ninja Gaiden SRAM hack to it's two sequels, it's a great hack and I'd love to have a completed trilogy.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5364 on: November 22, 2018, 01:56:57 am »
Was just wondering if someone could port the Ninja Gaiden SRAM hack to it's two sequels, it's a great hack and I'd love to have a completed trilogy.

I do wonder what the point is of these hacks. Sure, if you had an original cartridge on original hardware, having a save function would've been neat - though a level select cheat would be more useful and wouldn't require an extra RAM chip and potentially a more complex MMC. But emulators have save states, the EverDrive N8 has save states... why the need to hack? Unlike an RPG which needs to save items, experience and whatever, this only needs to save one byte: the level you're on.

Personally I think a level select would be more useful, but hey, it's just my opinion. :) Maybe I'll do a series of hacks to add level selects to games...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: November 22, 2018, 12:16:40 pm »
Someone also released a Ninja Gaiden III hack was restores the unlimited continues and passwords from the Japanese version.
Is that not suitable enough for NG3?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: November 22, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
Exactly. That's I'm looking for Battletoads: unlimited continues, not infinite lives. I think this game (and many others hard NES games) are more challenging with unlimited continues since the infinite lives feature (game genie codes) is very boring to play because the check points. At least with infinite continues, if you die, you have to start at the beginning of the last level.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: November 22, 2018, 01:44:03 pm »
Considering the fact that there’s a Super Pitfall II prototype in existence, and the fact that there is a hack for the first Super Pitfall called the “30th Anniversary Hack”, it would be nice if SPII got the same treatment.

Arty

• View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: November 22, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »
I do wonder what the point is of these hacks. Sure, if you had an original cartridge on original hardware, having a save function would've been neat - though a level select cheat would be more useful and wouldn't require an extra RAM chip and potentially a more complex MMC. But emulators have save states, the EverDrive N8 has save states... why the need to hack? Unlike an RPG which needs to save items, experience and whatever, this only needs to save one byte: the level you're on.

Personally I think a level select would be more useful, but hey, it's just my opinion. :) Maybe I'll do a series of hacks to add level selects to games...

It's mostly a personal thing, I just feel dirty using save states to continue where I left off and only use them when I absolutely have to. If it's only one byte, how hard would it be for me to do it myself? Since it's something not many other people besides me want?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5369 on: November 23, 2018, 12:18:04 am »
It's mostly a personal thing, I just feel dirty using save states to continue where I left off and only use them when I absolutely have to.

Well, don't feel dirty then. :) Do what I do: use save states merely as a way to make easier that which you could do on a real console, so instead of leaving the console on overnight, I can just use a save state and come back later. I sometimes use them if I really don't want to have to go through a tedious process again, like reset, start, go through menus, navigate very simple part of the game... just saves me time, of which I have very little these days. If you feel dirty, remember that games are supposed to be fun, right? :D

If it's only one byte, how hard would it be for me to do it myself? Since it's something not many other people besides me want?

I think you missed my point: the fact that it's one byte means it's NOT worth hacking or adding a battery in a real cart. RPGs on the other hand benefit immensely because nobody wants to enter a 24-digit password. When I play on real carts, I find level selects a blessing because if I can get a game over and start from a certain point, why not select that level when I turn on the console the next day?

Which is why, after writing my previous post, I opened Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 and added a level skip feature. :D It's a bit rough: you just press Select the amount of times you want for your level, then start the game, but there's no visual indicator so you have to count by yourself. This is tricky on Ninja Gaiden 2 because it won't register if it's not on the title screen, and it goes back to the intro after about five seconds (maybe I'll disable that...).

If anyone's interested in these level skip hacks, I'll do NG3 and stick them all in one zip for everyone to try. Although passwords and unlimited continues for NG3 is probably even better.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: November 23, 2018, 12:33:15 am »
Which is why, after writing my previous post, I opened Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 and added a level skip feature. :D It's a bit rough: you just press Select the amount of times you want for your level, then start the game, but there's no visual indicator so you have to count by yourself. This is tricky on Ninja Gaiden 2 because it won't register if it's not on the title screen, and it goes back to the intro after about five seconds (maybe I'll disable that...).

FYI, Ninja Gaiden 1 already has a hidden level select feature, as mentioned on TCRF.  To enable it, just paste the bytes 20 E9 C0 at x1E547.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5371 on: November 23, 2018, 01:38:58 am »
FYI, Ninja Gaiden 1 already has a hidden level select feature, as mentioned on TCRF.  To enable it, just paste the bytes 20 E9 C0 at x1E547.

Mama mia, why didn't I check TCRF first?! :D Thanks for the heads up, I'll bear it in mind in future (and change my patch to this instead).

EDIT: Ah man, all three games have secret level selects!! Oh well, it didn't take me too long, and it's experience. Now I'll shift gears: making patches that enable these level selects by default, plus adding any that don't exist. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:38:38 am by Psyklax »

Eyeros

• View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: November 24, 2018, 02:33:57 pm »
***Splatterhouse***

Ah Port of the Arcade original to Sega Mega Drive/Genesis would be awsome.

jackic

• View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: November 25, 2018, 07:04:13 am »
Being able to fight the full final battle and get a real ending on Contra 3 / Super Probotector while playing on NORMAL would be great.

Thanks.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #5374 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:06 am »
You would need to change the text a bit. You haven't REALLY conquered contra 3.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: November 25, 2018, 02:21:58 pm »
Do you get the full ending on Contra Spirits?
From what I've read, Konami had changed some games in localizations to give the real endings on Hard only, whereas in Japanese they would give them on Normal as well. (Buster Busts Loose being another example I've heard. Reportedly BBL also allowed you to use passwords and unlimited continues on any difficulty in Japanese, whereas in localization it only permitted passwords on Easy and limited continues on the other difficulties.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: November 25, 2018, 08:26:32 pm »
Being able to fight the full final battle and get a real ending on Contra 3 / Super Probotector while playing on NORMAL would be great.

This has already been done for Contra 3. Check here for a hack that restores the cheats, infinite continues, and the final boss on Normal. I haven't beaten it, so I'm not sure if it changes the ending at all, though. There's a similar Super Probotector hack that restores the codes and infinite continues here, but it doesn't mention adding the final boss back.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: November 26, 2018, 12:32:29 am »
Hey, can anyone hack both Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U to have the announcer say "Mii Fighter" instead of just "Mii"? The sound file is in the game itself, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:16 am »
I have a request for a bug fix patch of Don Doko Don 2, for NES. It freezes at the very beginning of the first boss fight. I have verified this 3 times, twice with an English patch and once with a Japanese version. Perhaps it doesn't freeze for everyone, but it has for me, and repeatably.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: November 26, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »
This has already been done for Contra 3. Check here for a hack that restores the cheats, infinite continues, and the final boss on Normal. I haven't beaten it, so I'm not sure if it changes the ending at all, though. There's a similar Super Probotector hack that restores the codes and infinite continues here, but it doesn't mention adding the final boss back.
I was in charge of Super Probotector. I forgot to mention I edited that. Not a big change, but worthy to put the same height on all regions. Maybe I forgot because I'm STILL struggling on how to switch back the original death cries in Contra Advance. WOOOOOO!!!

Now that I'm here... Color restoration and the Optional Probotector Advance: Alien Rebels EX.

Yes, I like localizations, Tails-faced user. Deal with it.