News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1015489 times)

vico

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5340 on: November 15, 2018, 03:15:15 am »
A request: Modify the post-suicide scene on FFVI to make Locke himself to appear and save Celes (and not a random poor pigeon with your legs tied by his bandana.

I absolutely hate him to be the last one to be rescued

darthueba

• View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: November 15, 2018, 09:45:57 pm »
Does anybody know how to hack the NES version of the Legend of Zelda to have the music and sound effects of the Famicom Disk System version?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5342 on: November 15, 2018, 10:28:52 pm »
Does anybody know how to hack the NES version of the Legend of Zelda to have the music and sound effects of the Famicom Disk System version?

Not trivial to do. The disk drive has expanded audio hardware.

Q

• View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: November 15, 2018, 10:32:52 pm »

You'd be better off just creating an English translation patch for the FDS version. I can guarantee that would be much more feasible. Even if you set aside the fact that the FDS has extra audio hardware, changing text and graphics is much easier than music and sound effects.

Josephine Lithius

• Lv. 35 Cutemonger
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
« Reply #5344 on: November 16, 2018, 03:59:53 am »
I have two questions.

Firstly, how does one go about changing the frame rate on Ghosts 'n Goblins for the NES?
I remember reading, some time ago, that the NES port runs at a completely unacceptable internal frame rate of, like, 12?  It looks incredibly janky – especially when compared to the arcade version.  I think there was some talk about fiddling with the frame rate to make the game run smoother, but I've never seen anything that actually hints on how one might do that.  If anyone knows, definitely let me know – or, better still, make a patch and upload it!  You'd be doing a great service that's been a long time coming!  :3

Secondly, is there a hack that will add Super NES Mouse support to Nintendo's SimCity?
The Super NES version of SimCity has always been something I've been wanting to play with, but the fact that it's a mouse-driven game that's played with a controller kept me from doing so.  I think a mouse hack would make this good game even better.  Or, at least, easier to play.

That's all, for now.  Looking forward to any sort of response!
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5345 on: November 16, 2018, 04:08:57 am »
changing the frame rate on Ghosts 'n Goblins for the NES?

Not easy. I'm not sure about what frame rate the game actually runs at, but improving it would be a hell of a task. It's not like 3D games, games on the NES were just designed to be like that, so changing that design would be more trouble than it's worth. Just play the arcade version. :D

add Super NES Mouse support to Nintendo's SimCity?

Now THIS is more doable. One could analyse how mouse input works on Mario Paint and the few other games designed to use the mouse, then try to replicate that in Sim City. If there's a game out there that supports both controller or mouse, even better. The tricky part is telling the game that that's what you want to do, but I really don't think it's outside the bounds of possibility.

Given how much people like this version over all others, I'm surprised nobody has tried to do it. I would, but alas, no time.

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: November 16, 2018, 04:35:41 am »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: November 16, 2018, 02:13:38 pm »
I don't think SNES SimCity was that bad without mouse control. They did at least take some consideration for problems of using a controller, such as adding buttons to quickly move the cursor to the menubars as well as I think there was a button to hide the menus as well.

But I can understand the point of the mouse request.

One thing thought that could be improved is an option to swap between the first and second set of 1000 maps easily.
As I recall, to do it normally you had to select a map 0xxx, then start up the gameplay and wait for like 30 seconds or something, then reset and start a new city to have map 1xxx selected.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Thorbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: November 16, 2018, 04:14:38 pm »
Not sure how viable it is, but since it's just an idea to throw in, might as well see if anyone would think this being interesting to accomplish as well.

My hack idea: Making a Chrono Trigger romhack that is based on ''Chrono Fantasy''.

Chrono Fantasy is a game supposed to be played on modern calculators.
The source leaked not too long ago and the game was supposed to be a mesh between Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and I believe Seiken Densetsu 3 (or was it 2?).

Anyway, while the source code leaked, it is still incomplete, as the complete source code vanished a long time ago.
Maybe, someone will be interested in seeing a Chrono Trigger hack like this as well?
Just thought I'd mention it.

Links:

https://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/14/149/149170.html

https://t3.yaronet.com/?id=5

And yes, the second link is legit; it's not spam or anything, even if it looks suspicious at first glance.
I checked myself, it's a (seemingly old) website.

darthueba

• View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: November 16, 2018, 09:13:41 pm »
You'd be better off just creating an English translation patch for the FDS version. I can guarantee that would be much more feasible. Even if you set aside the fact that the FDS has extra audio hardware, changing text and graphics is much easier than music and sound effects.

I know there's already a ROM translation of the FDS version, but it's limited in terms of space for words.
(link to the forum on the translation: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23727.0)
I'm hoping there's some way to expand the ROM to have room for both the sound and the complete text of the original English version, and I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: November 17, 2018, 04:28:07 am »
Not easy. I'm not sure about what frame rate the game actually runs at, but improving it would be a hell of a task. It's not like 3D games, games on the NES were just designed to be like that, so changing that design would be more trouble than it's worth. Just play the arcade version. :D

Now THIS is more doable. One could analyse how mouse input works on Mario Paint and the few other games designed to use the mouse, then try to replicate that in Sim City. If there's a game out there that supports both controller or mouse, even better. The tricky part is telling the game that that's what you want to do, but I really don't think it's outside the bounds of possibility.

Given how much people like this version over all others, I'm surprised nobody has tried to do it. I would, but alas, no time.

I'm in for this patch, it would be a new way to play. In the same optic, it would be awesome too to get a target cursor on the screen like Lethal Enforcers for games like Super Scope 6 or Yoshi's Safari :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: November 17, 2018, 03:23:11 pm »
There was a scene trainer-patched ROM that claimed to add controller support to Yoshi's Road Hunting (the Japanese version of Safari, or at least I think that was which version the ROM was).
But I couldn't get it work. Or at least it didn't work on the game select screen, which makes a controller hack kind of useless when you can't get through the menu. :P Though I think I tried using savestates to get around it to the gameplay and it still didn't work.
(unlike the Mario & Wario scene release which did have a functional controller hack that I converted to a patch, though also added the pause button support that the original hack didn't)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5352 on: November 18, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
I know there's already a ROM translation of the FDS version, but it's limited in terms of space for words.
(link to the forum on the translation: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23727.0)
I'm hoping there's some way to expand the ROM to have room for both the sound and the complete text of the original English version, and I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

First of all, you cannot make a ROM with FDS sound, it is literally impossible. So, forget that.

As for the text, I'm actually rather surprised that there's a problem with space for text on the FDS version since there's such a tiny amount of text in the game anyway, and FDS disks usually have plenty of free space to exploit. I haven't looked at the disk myself but I'd be shocked if you couldn't fit the whole English text on there.

So, if you want to play FDS Zelda then either just play it since the language barrier ain't exactly overwhelming, or use the English patch that's already done, cause you ain't getting that sound on a cartridge. ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: November 18, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »
As for the text, I'm actually rather surprised that there's a problem with space for text on the FDS version since there's such a tiny amount of text in the game anyway, and FDS disks usually have plenty of free space to exploit. I haven't looked at the disk myself but I'd be shocked if you couldn't fit the whole English text on there.
RAM space is the issue more than ROM space.
Files get loaded to RAM, since I don't believe the CPU can execute code directly off the floppy, so you have to worry about having room to load data without overwriting something else.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5354 on: November 19, 2018, 02:02:08 am »
RAM space is the issue more than ROM space.
Files get loaded to RAM, since I don't believe the CPU can execute code directly off the floppy, so you have to worry about having room to load data without overwriting something else.

Of course, though the FDS has extra RAM to accommodate this fact. Obviously the FDS can't execute directly off the floppy, though I don't think any computer can do that. I suppose if there's not much RAM left then it could be an issue, but again, I haven't looked into it.

Still don't think you're missing all that much by playing it in Japanese... :)

E.Signal

• View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: November 19, 2018, 08:25:24 am »
A rom hack for Final Fight 2 on the SNES that buffs the character's damage would be nice, It's takes way too long to defeat enemies since the characters are so weak, Final Fight 1 and 3 didn't have this problem, if 2 got the same treatment those games had, I think it'll be more enjoyable, please make this rom hack happen  :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5356 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:57 pm »
A rom hack for Final Fight 2 on the SNES that buffs the character's damage would be nice, It's takes way too long to defeat enemies since the characters are so weak, Final Fight 1 and 3 didn't have this problem, if 2 got the same treatment those games had, I think it'll be more enjoyable, please make this rom hack happen  :)

If you're a little more precise, this would likely be a very simple hack. Then again I beat FF2 and FF3 in one try in about the same length of time, so I'm not sure how necessary it is... :)

Petuuuhhh

• View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: November 19, 2018, 02:17:55 pm »
I want to update and expand on Pokémon FireRed. I can do coding and use what ASM has been presented to me on PokéCommunity and sites like that, but I am not good at mapping. I want locations from the Indigo League saga in the anime and the First Movie, but since I can't map them, I'm not able to do it.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: November 19, 2018, 10:42:57 pm »
i have ONE question... be it as a romhack OR homebrew... is this possible for the original playstation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWjRHcgktI&feature=youtu.be

i forgot to copy/paste the link. there we go.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: November 20, 2018, 05:01:11 pm »
It does nothing that stray far away from PlayStation 1, even going trough clipping issues. Possible if not real, maybe even a fun multiplayer. :)