News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 988366 times)

Vegan Lies 2 Me

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5260 on: October 20, 2018, 04:03:50 am »
Hey,I want to hack the cartridge rerelease of Akumajou Dracula.The problem i have is with the graphics.When I open YY-CHR with the game the graphics dont look like in the rom.They are scrambled.Do you know how can I edit them?

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: October 20, 2018, 06:22:28 am »
I'd like to see a text hack for Mario Party Advance that changes Goombob's name to Galoomba and Goombetty to Galoombetty.

Sgt Jack V

• View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: October 20, 2018, 05:32:03 pm »
SMB1 but Mario is replaced by Bren McGuire from Turrican. It plays almost exactly like Super Turrican NES.
Call me Nate because I can't manually change my username and there isn't a thread specifically for that.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: October 21, 2018, 03:46:47 am »
MMX3 might be abit tricky to MSU the animations, it is certainly possible to get all the animated scenes into the game but the Intro and ending credits of the game might be problematic unless there was a way to completely alter the intro, and ending credits.

I'm thinking for the intro, the scene should play until X and Zero land to their location and then FMV will cut off and then start the game. EDIT:
It turns out even the PS1/SAT version did this too, so yes it should be possible then (I had to recheck myself on that one).

The Ending Credits might not be hard to do if you allow the FMV to be placed correctly, someone would just have to make sure to make a "stop" of sorts to prevent the snes version from playing the original ending credits.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:54:25 am by Kallisto »

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: October 21, 2018, 04:02:15 pm »
A hack for Sonic 3D Blast that makes it so you use the cardinal directions instead of diagonals... make it play more like Snake Rattle N' Roll or Marble Madness where the directions are all up down left right rather than having to use Diagonal Right / Up to be "Up."

October 21, 2018, 04:05:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
"Eh? You mean "up and left simultaneously"? Surely if it sees all four directions, that's enough. Maybe I'm missing something here, but diagonals aren't independent, they're just two directions."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojJIZ7MM-o
There are no diagonals in this test cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2FqoVqZYo
There -are- diagonals in this test cart... but it only registers buttons presses from an emulator while in the 4 player multi tap test screen...

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5265 on: October 21, 2018, 05:09:50 pm »
Super Bomberman 3 (SNES): enable the two hidden battle stages with no need to use cheats (pushing repeatedly x button in the title screen for 20 or 30 seconds)

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: October 21, 2018, 07:14:27 pm »
I wonder how many people who've come to this thread to post an idea have tried to do it themselves later on?

I did, so I want to share my "success story" of sorts, in case it inspires someone else. I started with an idea post but went ahead and tried it myself after I ran into some very useful resources on this site, and managed to make it into a publishable project (Mega Man X6 Tweaks). It took effort and time (all while working full time and studying), but I had fun all the way (it was my spare time hobby through all that time). People probably don't realize just how many guides and resources can be found right here, and googling around, even step by step videos on Youtube. Also, in my experience, most hackers here are very much willing to teach, but only after you do the ground work and run into specific problems (rather than "teach me everything pls").
It's gonna take awhile when starting from zero but it's definitely within reach of anyone who wants to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:26:57 pm by acediez »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #5267 on: October 22, 2018, 05:12:03 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojJIZ7MM-o
There are no diagonals in this test cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2FqoVqZYo
There -are- diagonals in this test cart... but it only registers buttons presses from an emulator while in the 4 player multi tap test screen...

I'm on my phone and can't see the videos right now, but my point was that the NES collects input by polling the registers at $4016 and $4017, then storing the result in RAM. The result is 8 bits (up, down, left, right, A, B, Start, Select), hence there is no distinct diagonal.

However, I assume what you're referring to is that the diagnostic test doesn't ask you to push two directions at once to see if it can be done, which would be testing the physical attributes of the pad rather than the circuit connection. I suppose you can allow for that in the software (the test) but maybe I just misunderstood what you meant.

I agree that diagonals on some pads can be tricky (such as trying to do them in Dead Or Alive 5 on a 360 D-pad) so being able to test it would be useful.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: October 23, 2018, 12:06:45 pm »
Super Bomberman 5 (SFC): a translation

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: October 25, 2018, 09:56:36 am »
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64):

Now that the 1995-05-13 prototype was dumped and released, it contains a playable MK3 Sub-zero and Kahn's Arnea (with a sweet easter egg), a ROM expansion to include them (as well with a BGM fix) in the final versions could be possible.

Zanemato

• View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: October 25, 2018, 02:04:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

An uncensored version of Deja Vu on Nes would be so great !

Here's a link about all censored things in the game:

https://tcrf.net/Deja_Vu_(NES)

Have a great day !

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: October 25, 2018, 03:01:24 pm »
Back to the Pokemon Platinum: Sinnoh Dex Edition idea I had posted about way back.  I did some research in my spare time.

There actually aren't very many version exclusives not in Platinum; the only ones actually missing are Stunky/Glameow and Murkrow/Misdreavus (the latter pair which Pal Park would take care of pretty quick), along with fossils still being selective in the Underground.  The main work would be in enabling evolutions and event items.  The former of which a randomizer can do without turning on any actual randomization, and the latter can be done via Mystery Gift (one way or another).

So... viability?  If I'm counting Pal Park being able to ship over everything else, there's not a whole lot to do.  But is it worth it?  I dunno.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:21:56 pm by Chronosplit »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: October 25, 2018, 08:58:21 pm »
An uncensored version of Deja Vu on Nes would be so great !
You know the original Mac version is on Steam, right?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: October 25, 2018, 08:59:42 pm »
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64):

Now that the 1996-05-13 prototype was dumped and released, it contains a playable MK3 Sub-zero and Kahn's Arnea (with a sweet easter egg), a ROM expansion to include them (as well with a BGM fix) in the final versions could be possible.

Including restore Goro, Kintaro, MK1 Raiden, MK1 Kano, MK2 Kung Lao & Chameleon from the PSX port.

I want to see restoration hacks for all the DS Pokemon games that will restore the original Male Swimmer sprites, Jynx's original colors, the slot machines and anything else that got censored.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:23:48 am by SCD »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: October 26, 2018, 01:02:28 pm »
Restoring the slot machines in EU Platinum and HGSS (what I understand are the affected games) is probably doable since I read, in the latter, it was simply a warp replacement in the later (reportedly the relevant text was even translated).

But adding them to Gen V, probably not since they would probably have to be completely programmed in.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: October 26, 2018, 01:47:40 pm »
Im not sure what the state of Final Fantasy 8 hacking is at the moment, but I'd like to see a GF to Waifu hack, basically replace every instance of GF in the text with Waifu, and swap the models and animations of each for a custom model based on various best girls, it would be worth it just to see them trying to dramatically explain how Waifus take up part of your brain.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: October 27, 2018, 11:01:32 pm »
Including restore Goro, Kintaro, MK1 Raiden, MK1 Kano, MK2 Kung Lao & Chameleon from the PSX port.
No, that's a lot of work. Better taking things that were already IN.

Arcade Gears - Wonder 3 (PSX)

There's two SFX that are swapped in "Midnight Wanderers" and "Chariot" when picking up coins. Also LOCALIZATION.

Captain Commando (PSX)

I don't know if it's the emu. But Dolg sprites are glitched. Also LOCALIZATION!

Metal Slug X (PSX)

Restore the Blood Color. For BOTH USA and Europe Versions.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: October 28, 2018, 06:02:59 am »
No, that's a lot of work. Better taking things that were already IN.

I think adding all the missing characters back to the N64 port shouldn't be that hard to do.

Arcade Gears - Wonder 3 (PSX)
There's two SFX that are swapped in "Midnight Wanderers" and "Chariot" when picking up coins. Also LOCALIZATION.

Swapping the two SFX around should be easy.

Captain Commando (PSX)
I don't know if it's the emu. But Dolg sprites are glitched. Also LOCALIZATION!

It's probably the emulator, because I didn't see any glitches when I was playing it on my PSX.

Metal Slug X (PSX)
Restore the Blood Color. For BOTH USA and Europe Versions.

Another hack that I want to see for it is a color hack that will change the colors of the background stages back to their MS2 colors and also change the colors of the MS1 bosses back to their MS1 colors as well.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: October 29, 2018, 04:14:41 pm »
So I found that addresses 02025688 to 020256EB (In VBA) controls whether or not you know what a card combination does in Castlevania Circle of the Moon. With that in mind, what are the odds that someone might be able to cook a hack that reveals all card combos by default?

UPDATE: Managed to cook up a Codebreaker that does the job without disclosing the cards themselves, only revealing the results of possible combinations:
42025688 0101
00000063 0001
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:45:31 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: October 29, 2018, 05:51:38 pm »
Has anyone attempted to port the first two Gran Turismo games' japanese soundtrack to the english versions?

For those not in the know, the soundtrack is extremely different between the two versions.  The japanese versions feature entirely original jazz fusion music tracks.