News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1011845 times)

Zimgief

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5180 on: September 26, 2018, 10:19:06 am »
Is there a tool to edit texts in Gargoyle's Quest II on the NES?
The game is supposed to be better thanks to its RPG aspects, but the dialogs are barely understandable, and certainly not immersive, which is a shame.

yetisyny

• yetisyny a.k.a. General Public
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: September 26, 2018, 03:50:01 pm »
Is there a tool to edit texts in Gargoyle's Quest II on the NES?
The game is supposed to be better thanks to its RPG aspects, but the dialogs are barely understandable, and certainly not immersive, which is a shame.

Not a SPECIFIC editor for that game that I know of but I found this hack here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3684/. That hack deals with restoring some of the text that got censored so obviously the author of it, one K.K. Drunkinski, knows how to hack the text of that game. So definitely at least one person figured that out.

Also there is a whole category for script extraction/insertion utilities here: https://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=14&perpage=100&utilsearch=Go (only look at the ones with “N/A” or “Multiple Games” listed for what game they work on, the others only work on specific games and not this one). Some of those can be used to edit text but apparently you need to know certain info like offsets or whatever, I have absolutely no clue how to do it. Hopefully at least some of them have documentation to explain how to use them, or maybe there is a video online explaining it or tutorial or something. Apparently hex editors are also useful from what I looked up online, although I don’t understand exactly how. I did a Google search for tutorial videos and there are a whole bunch of them on YouTube you could watch: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+edit+text+in+nes+games&num=100&tbm=vid

Anyway hopefully someone else here actually KNOWS how to edit text in ROMs and might be able to explain which of those utilities is good and how to edit the text in an NES ROM. And how to find the offsets for where the text data is located. I told you all I was able to figure out, which was very little, but hopefully better than nothing? At least I think I gave you maybe some good leads on where you could START looking for answers.

But yeah as far as a specific utility for editing the text in that game. No, sorry, can’t find one online, pretty sure that no such editor for that specific game exists. Try those utilities, or those videos, or maybe contact the author of that hack. Or maybe someone else here who is a more seasoned ROM hacker could help tutor you in how to edit the text in a ROM. I don’t even know how to do it myself, though. Maybe I should take a look at some of those videos. This is a skill I would like to pick up, too.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: September 26, 2018, 04:37:57 pm »
Can't you create a new patch (in your preferred format) from the original and patched ROM?
I can, but the problem arises when trying to combine both ROMs.
I tried doing IPS patches, but for some reason the resulting files are incredibly big, resulting in incompatibility when applied together using IPS due to the huge amount of bytes modified.
Turns out XDelta and BPS make a lot of changes to the compiled ROMs.

So I need to find a way to merge the patches together and apply them to the ROM.
I already have the original v1.2 ROM of OoT in there, alongside two other ROMs, one with the Widescreen patch applied to it and the other with the Uncensored patch.
I could create either XDelta patches for both hacks or BPS patches from both, but I need to know how to apply either 2 XDelta or 2 BPS patches to the same ROM without it saying the patch is not intended for said ROM.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: September 26, 2018, 09:31:30 pm »
I can, but the problem arises when trying to combine both ROMs.
I tried doing IPS patches, but for some reason the resulting files are incredibly big, resulting in incompatibility when applied together using IPS due to the huge amount of bytes modified.
Turns out XDelta and BPS make a lot of changes to the compiled ROMs.

So I need to find a way to merge the patches together and apply them to the ROM.
I already have the original v1.2 ROM of OoT in there, alongside two other ROMs, one with the Widescreen patch applied to it and the other with the Uncensored patch.
I could create either XDelta patches for both hacks or BPS patches from both, but I need to know how to apply either 2 XDelta or 2 BPS patches to the same ROM without it saying the patch is not intended for said ROM.

Ah ... that makes sense! I believe SpiderDave has their own patching program that you might want to try out, perhaps it doesn't have the same checks. Also, I suppose you could do a byte comparison and copy and paste the differences. Hex Workshop is a great tool for comparing two binary files.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #5184 on: September 26, 2018, 09:38:18 pm »
MegaMan X Legacy Collection 1+2 quality hack

-X Challenge mode
--Add pointer that directly jumps to special battle through the unlockable special battle demo 
--Increase the player defense in hard mode to 100% and normal to 200%

-Mega Man X3
--Add all music entries of the 32-bit version sound track in the music player

-Mega Man X5
--Add unused version of Zero intro stage theme and Deep Sea stage from May, 1st 2000 Prototype in the music player

-Mega Man X6
--Make the X/Zero vs. Zero Nightmare LV4 feature from Mega Man X6 tweaks patcher available
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Zimgief

• View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: September 27, 2018, 05:27:09 am »
yetisyny: thank you kindly! I will try these things. In fact, if it is not too complicated, it can be a good thing for me to know how to do it myself, as this problem bothers me in so many games.
If someone who is used to translating game has qualitative tutorials, I could make use of them! :)

EDIT: actually, it is really simple to edit text on some games, and for exemple, I can replicate the hack that replaces some keywords in the game.
But then, I couldn't do much more: it seems Gargoyle's Quest II uses a system of keywords to save space. For exemple, the word "TIME" is used many times, but in the data it is stocked in only one space. Maybe I could find which octet is used to call for a specific keyword, but when a single sentence is made up of many keywords put together, I don'teven know how to begin. :p
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 06:55:02 am by Zimgief »

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: September 27, 2018, 10:16:30 am »
Speaking of text editing on games, someone should fix the Sega Mega Drive game Zero Wing’s horrible “Engrish” translation and remove all the ridiculous broken English that has turned into memes into an accurate translation with proper grammar. There are only a few lines of text that need to be changed.

There is even an accurate translation already available in text form on Wikiquote here, although it is a very literal translation, I would change it just a little, make it sound more like colloquial English but without altering the meaning: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Zero_Wing Legends of Localization also has its own basic translation that, while accurate, needs some polishing: https://legendsoflocalization.com/lets-take-a-peek-at-zero-wings-all-your-base-translation/ There is also a third not-quite-as-accurate but more colloquial translation on Wikia: https://villains.wikia.com/wiki/CATS

I’d use those 3 translations as a guide, in order to get a good script. Of course, I don’t know how much space there is on the screen for text or in the ROM for storing text data, and it also has to fit with the timing of the opening scene too with the visuals and sound effects and background music. But it seems quite doable compared to other translations, given how little text needs to be changed compared to, say, an RPG or visual novel.

This would probably require very little effort given how little text there is in the game, if you know how to edit text in games. Since the most common version English-language players play is the European English-language ROM for Sega Mega Drive, I would suggest just having it be a patch for that.

Basically all that needs to be changed is the opening. The rest of the game Zero Wing is fine. There is also a closing that is in bad English but apparently it is only present in the arcade version of the game released in Europe, not the Mega Drive version. In the arcade version, CATS is still alive at the end and the war is not really over, but in the Mega Drive version CATS is killed when his battleship is blown up and you win at the end, meaning, the closing credits about CATS still being alive and the war not being over are not in the Mega Drive version and thus no reason to translate text that isn’t there.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: September 27, 2018, 10:26:20 am »
"This would require very little effort."
- Every post in this thread
There has to be a better life.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: September 27, 2018, 01:17:38 pm »
You know how there were 2 games made for the SNES that had actual voice acting in them? Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean.

Tales of Phantasia got fully translated, both the text done by DeJap Translations, and another translation group, Topping Translations, did the audio. The 2 translations were combined into one that works with regular, non-interleaved ROMs by Spinner 8 and you can find it here: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2335/

Star Ocean got its TEXT translated by DeJap Translations, same as with Tales of Phantasia, and you can find that here: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/452/ However, nobody ever bothered to translate the audio from Japanese into English as it was done for Tales of Phantasia.

Somebody needs to do an audio translation patch for Star Ocean for SNES, the way Topping Translations did it for Tales of Phantasia for SNES. Nobody even needs to do any voice acting. The enhanced remake, Star Ocean: First Departure, for PlayStation Portable, already has English voice acting, in fact quite a lot more than the original.

The relevant audio that is equivalent to audio used in the original SNES version just needs to be extracted from the PSP version, converted to the form used in the SNES version of Star Ocean, and then put into the ROM to replace its Japanese voice acting. OK maybe I was making it sound easy when I used the word “just” in that last sentence, actually it would be quite difficult, but the point is, no actual voice acting would need to be done, just ROM hacking, a single person with enough ROM hacking skills could do this. And it would be AWESOME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amkDRjV16fQ - So something like this then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQU_FbQnJg4 - And like this.

It's definitely possible on both, but I don't think there's enough ROM space to even do so, especially for Star Ocean. That game is filled right to the absolute brim.

Tales of Phantasia can be expanded to 8MB and be usable in most emulators nowadays at that size, but in the case with Arche in the video I did there, I had to move a few voices into a new area due to them NOT being two voices spliced together.

It's not terribly difficult, but it's also not super easy to do either.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

yetisyny

• View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: September 27, 2018, 10:37:08 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amkDRjV16fQ - So something like this then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQU_FbQnJg4 - And like this.

It's definitely possible on both, but I don't think there's enough ROM space to even do so, especially for Star Ocean. That game is filled right to the absolute brim.

Tales of Phantasia can be expanded to 8MB and be usable in most emulators nowadays at that size, but in the case with Arche in the video I did there, I had to move a few voices into a new area due to them NOT being two voices spliced together.

It's not terribly difficult, but it's also not super easy to do either.

Whoa, good job! If you put out any hacks for those games like what I see in those videos I will be delighted! I didn’t call THIS easy, I said that about replacing a pretty small amount of text in the Zero Wing intro, and I didn’t mean SUPER easy for that either, I just meant, much easier than translating an entire RPG from Japanese into English (e.g. much easier than translating Final Fantasy V or Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean etc.).

Substituting audio in Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean for Super Famicom is definitely quite a lot harder than that, it involves audio codecs and ROMs that start out at 6 MB and such. And then to test the audio, well, that is also quite a bit more complicated too since you need to do the actions that trigger the different audio clips. For instance, in Tales of Phantasia there is the intro, a few cutscenes, the J-pop song, various spells and named attacks, quite a bit. Actually quite hard! Your work so far is pretty impressive.

As far as 8 MB ROMs those are supported in higan/bsnes, Snes9x 1.54 and later, and the ZSNES 8 MB custom build by FuSoYa, as well as multi-system emulators based on those previous ones, so that is pretty much standard thanks to FuSoYa unless we are talking about people that still use ZSNES and do not use the FuSoYa build.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: September 28, 2018, 03:07:31 am »
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64): Replace the Hyrule Field music track with the Termina Field music track.

Resident Evil (Sony PlayStation):

Restore the colored version of the uncut intro with the Japanese song & also restore Kenneth's head and the Japanese song for the ending credits as well.
Add all the exclusive Sega Saturn content. (The tick enemy, the 2nd tyrant boss fight & the battle mode.)

Resident Evil 2: DualShock Ver. (Sony PlayStation): Restore the unused head for the Licker cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYB967UNNbA

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Sony PlayStation):

Add the PSP English dub.
Add all the exclusive Sega Saturn content.
Switch the names of the Malachi & Cthulhu enemies around.
Make the colors & sprites of Dracula 1st & 2nd forms look more like the ones from Rondo of Blood.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:02:16 am by SCD »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: September 28, 2018, 08:30:15 am »
Whoa, good job! If you put out any hacks for those games like what I see in those videos I will be delighted! I didn’t call THIS easy, I said that about replacing a pretty small amount of text in the Zero Wing intro, and I didn’t mean SUPER easy for that either, I just meant, much easier than translating an entire RPG from Japanese into English (e.g. much easier than translating Final Fantasy V or Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean etc.).

Substituting audio in Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean for Super Famicom is definitely quite a lot harder than that, it involves audio codecs and ROMs that start out at 6 MB and such. And then to test the audio, well, that is also quite a bit more complicated too since you need to do the actions that trigger the different audio clips. For instance, in Tales of Phantasia there is the intro, a few cutscenes, the J-pop song, various spells and named attacks, quite a bit. Actually quite hard! Your work so far is pretty impressive.

As far as 8 MB ROMs those are supported in higan/bsnes, Snes9x 1.54 and later, and the ZSNES 8 MB custom build by FuSoYa, as well as multi-system emulators based on those previous ones, so that is pretty much standard thanks to FuSoYa unless we are talking about people that still use ZSNES and do not use the FuSoYa build.

I'd have to check with Star Ocean again, but Tales of Phantasia I've already moved all the BRR pointers and their setup all into a new location for expansion which allows me to even add new voices without having to overwrite any.

TOP's system is nice as you can actually do the basic setup and load a voice, but then there's special bytes to dictate whether the voice has a link to another voice, if so, is it just done a couple milliseconds after the first one finished or is there a specific time it has to wait to be played.

THIS is how the entire intro song is done along with the intro quote. So it's honestly a lot easier than what I thought it would be, albeit a bit more complicated than some other games where you can just slap it in and go.

The only difference with loading a new voice is that you have to add the command for it to be loaded, which in itself is actually super easy.

Just

LDA xx xx
JSL $C02828 and you're on your way.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: September 28, 2018, 02:16:17 pm »
Killer Instinct (SNES): the music sound very low and the sound effects very high. I wonder if there is a way to equal it.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: September 28, 2018, 03:51:12 pm »
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES): Give Luigi his own set of sprites:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:57:05 pm by SCD »

Professor Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: September 28, 2018, 09:47:04 pm »
Top Gear (SNES): USA Edition

Every track represents a major city or landmark in the USA.

Features to expect:
- Redrawn backgrounds for each track
- Brand new track layouts
- Some custom signage

REGION 1 - FLORIDA
Daytona, FL - 3 laps
Miami, FL - 3 laps
Gainesville, FL - 5 laps
Orlando, FL - 4 laps

REGION 2 - ATLANTIC
Washington DC - 5 laps
Philadelphia, PA - 3 laps
Smoky Mountains, TN - 6 laps
Boston, MA - 3 laps

REGION 3 - LAKES
Indianapolis, IN - 8 laps
Detroit, MI - 3 laps
Chicago, IL - 7 laps
Minneapolis, MN - 4 laps

REGION 4 - MIDWEST
St. Louis, MO - 6 laps
Des Moines, IA - 3 laps
Oklahoma City, OK - 3 laps
Mount Rushmore, SD - 5 laps

REGION 5 - MOUNTAIN
Las Vegas, NV - 7 laps
Salt Lake City, UT - 3 laps
Helena, MT - 3 laps
Denver, CO - 3 laps

REGION 6 - SOUTHWEST
Houston, TX - 4 laps
Dallas, TX - 3 laps
Phoenix, AZ - 8 laps
San Antonio, TX - 9 laps

REGION 7 - NORTHWEST
Seattle, WA - 3 laps
Portland, OR - 6 laps
Mt. Hood, OR - 2 laps
Anchorage, AK - 3 laps

REGION 8 - PACIFIC

Los Angeles, CA - 10 laps
San Francisco, CA- 8 laps
Mt. Kilauea, HI - 3 laps
Honolulu, HI - 5 laps

OPPONENT NAMES (9 male, 9 female):

DALE
KIM
JOSH
SARA
NICK
JESSICA
BRUCE
JANE
TJ
VALERIE
LEON
ANNIE
RAY
JOYCE
IRVING
CATHY
PETE
NATHAN
BETTY

PASSWORDS:

Amateur:
AMERICA
FREEDOM
LIBERTY
JUSTICE
REPUBLIC
NATIONAL
CHARITY
TREASURE

Professional:
PREMIERE
WORKOUT
QUESTION
EXCHANGE
RESPOND
ADVANCE
BLASTOFF
SUNSHINE

Championship:
AWESOME
LICENSE
GRADUATE
TEAMWORK
BALLGAME
HOT DOGS
SKIPBEAT
GOLDRUSH

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: September 28, 2018, 10:31:48 pm »
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES): Give Luigi his own set of sprites:

Giving the amount of unused content, it can be replaced with this. Super Mario Bros 3 Mix did it, why the original don't?

KAGE-008

• View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: September 28, 2018, 11:17:17 pm »
I'd like to suggest an improvement to NES game Rush'n Attack, regarding its difficulty. In Japan, a mobile port of it for i-mode/Yahoo/EZWeb feature phones included a health bar for those who find it very difficult to complete (source: http://www.konami.jp/products/appli_greenberet/index.html, btw their mobile service ended in 2015 or so) and it has brought the idea of implementing such thing onto the original NES version.

Yoni Arousement

• View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: September 29, 2018, 04:15:48 pm »
Doraemon 2 (SFC) - The other playable characters appear to have unused Life Icons, but only Doraemon's Life Icon is used.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: September 29, 2018, 10:59:05 pm »
An English translation of Maho Gakuen Lunar! (Saturn), which is a remake of Lunar: Walking School for the Sega Game Gear.

vinivhsoares

• View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: September 30, 2018, 11:42:21 am »
Alter the behavior of the police's AI in The President's Run, the final mission of Driver You Are the Wheelman on PS1, to match their AI in the rest of the game so that this mission can be challenging instead of almost impossible