News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 952145 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5160 on: September 20, 2018, 05:42:21 pm »
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Quality of life hacks like:
  • Increment the speed in which the text is parsed/written. The text really tends to drag with scenes like the Deku Tree ones or very story heavy ones
  • Make the Iron boots and Hover boots an item you can un/equip with the press of a button (Maybe the DPad?)
  • Make the Bunny Hood have the same property as it has in Majora's Mask -- Make it so when you equip the Bunny Hood, Young Link runs at a much faster pace

Having Equipment mappable to the D-Pad would be nice, could we also move the Megaton Hammer over to the Weapons subsection? That would also open up a spot for whatever on the item screen, maybe an extra mask slot? Which would fit well if you wanted to hang onto an improved Bunny Hood.

Actually just expanding the Mask system a bit and giving them all better effects would be nice.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: September 20, 2018, 09:18:09 pm »
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Quality of life hacks like:
  • Increment the speed in which the text is parsed/written. The text really tends to drag with scenes like the Deku Tree ones or very story heavy ones
  • Make the Iron boots and Hover boots an item you can un/equip with the press of a button (Maybe the DPad?)
  • Make the Bunny Hood have the same property as it has in Majora's Mask -- Make it so when you equip the Bunny Hood, Young Link runs at a much faster pace

Maybe you should try asking Aroenai & Ozidual, which are people that did some QOL and decensorhip hacks for both Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 22, 2018, 07:41:52 pm »
It would be awesome a 2 player simultaneous hack for some NES shmups (Gradius, Over Horizon, 1942...).

yetisyny

• yetisyny a.k.a. General Public
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 23, 2018, 08:18:15 am »
You know how there were 2 games made for the SNES that had actual voice acting in them? Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean.

Tales of Phantasia got fully translated, both the text done by DeJap Translations, and another translation group, Topping Translations, did the audio. The 2 translations were combined into one that works with regular, non-interleaved ROMs by Spinner 8 and you can find it here: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2335/

Star Ocean got its TEXT translated by DeJap Translations, same as with Tales of Phantasia, and you can find that here: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/452/ However, nobody ever bothered to translate the audio from Japanese into English as it was done for Tales of Phantasia.

Somebody needs to do an audio translation patch for Star Ocean for SNES, the way Topping Translations did it for Tales of Phantasia for SNES. Nobody even needs to do any voice acting. The enhanced remake, Star Ocean: First Departure, for PlayStation Portable, already has English voice acting, in fact quite a lot more than the original.

The relevant audio that is equivalent to audio used in the original SNES version just needs to be extracted from the PSP version, converted to the form used in the SNES version of Star Ocean, and then put into the ROM to replace its Japanese voice acting. OK maybe I was making it sound easy when I used the word “just” in that last sentence, actually it would be quite difficult, but the point is, no actual voice acting would need to be done, just ROM hacking, a single person with enough ROM hacking skills could do this. And it would be AWESOME.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: September 23, 2018, 11:06:18 am »
As I recall, Dejap did plan to find people to dub it.
However, I THINK it might have been lost when Tomato's hard drive crashed during the development. And the devs didn't want to recover it.
At least it might have been, I can't recall if Mato was handling the fandub auditions or it was the programming guys.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 23, 2018, 09:19:59 pm »
Hi all, my request might seem silly, but I imagine it's not nearly as ambitious as others, so perhaps I can share it here for ideas.

So, I was thinking of a hack for Castlevania Chronicles, particularly the Arrange Mode. For people unaware, Arrange Mode is essentially a revised edition of Original Mode included in the game, which is itself the original version of Akumajo Dracula X86000. Unique to Arrange Mode are new sprites, new effects, new music, a more balanced difficulty in regards to enemy damage, and faster screen scrolling.

However - and this is where my want for a hack comes into play - Arrange Mode actually disables a Castlevania staple: knockback. Any attack you take just gives you this weird hopping in place animation, like Simon stubs his foot. There is no way to enable this mechanic back in Arrange Mode normally; you have to play Original Mode for this, but this means you lose the new (and the ones I personally prefer) Simon and Dracula sprites, the new music, the better balanced difficulty, the works. I was interested in perhaps a hack that enables the knockback from Original Mode while playing Arrange Mode, or at the very least, maybe hacking in the Arrange Mode sprites into Original Mode if that somehow was too technically complex to address.

Should this be perhaps an easy task to hack in? The feature is already in the game, but disabled in one of the modes. I would hope if there's hacks of the NES games adding air control with jumps that at the very least we can see someone add back a Castlevania feature back in one of the modes to Chronicles. :P

vinivhsoares

• View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 23, 2018, 10:39:24 pm »
There's this game called Top Gear 3000, a racing game on the SNES, those who played it probably know what I'm going to talk about.

When you meet certain criteria in a race you can get special bonuses to add to the money you won, those range from A to E, but to this day no one really knows what the B bonus is for, there's been lots of speculation but no one have managed to actually discover exactly what you need to do to trigger the B bonus and how much money it gives you, so yeah it would be great if someone could look at the code and answer that and maybe hack the game to re-enable the b bonus.

I would also like to be able to play all of the tracks no matter the difficulty you choose, but since that seems to be much more complicated the b bonus is the priority.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: September 24, 2018, 04:17:27 am »
I don't know that I would attempt to have the game use the other function as much as find the behaviour for hit (which you said already includes some animation) and adding a few pixels of horizontal movement, possibly accounting for direction of attack (or maybe just using facing direction) and possibly trying to handle clipping issues.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:50 am »
I don't know that I would attempt to have the game use the other function as much as find the behaviour for hit (which you said already includes some animation) and adding a few pixels of horizontal movement, possibly accounting for direction of attack (or maybe just using facing direction) and possibly trying to handle clipping issues.

If I didn't make it clear, as the bolded gives me the impression, in Arrange Mode you basically get the knockback animation but it's only vertical, not horizontal. You essentially hop in place. I'm actually not sure how Castlevania knockback works in detail, under the hood - I think you just get launched back from the direction where the attack is coming from - but being able to see how it works in Original Mode would give me the idea that perhaps they disabled the horizontal response in Arrange Mode, meaning the most "authentic" result would be to patch that back in without guesswork.

If I can give an example of the difference between the two modes, here's knockback in Arrange Mode, and then here it is in Original Mode. As you can hopefully see, the removal of horizontal knockback not only looks weird but does completely change game balance, as a great deal of pitfalls and platforning are challenging precisely because of the knockback.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 24, 2018, 10:21:54 am »
Having Equipment mappable to the D-Pad would be nice, could we also move the Megaton Hammer over to the Weapons subsection? That would also open up a spot for whatever on the item screen, maybe an extra mask slot? Which would fit well if you wanted to hang onto an improved Bunny Hood.

Actually just expanding the Mask system a bit and giving them all better effects would be nice.
The D-Pad's the only free part of the controller when playing Ocarina of Time on the N64, so I thought maybe just give it a use as well, and the boots are the perfect fit for this, perhaps even mapping the DPad Down to Ocarina, Left to Iron Boots and Right to Hover boots.

The Mask system could be left alone, as Majora's Mask is centered around it, all I could ask for is to perhaps add the function to the function to move fast with the Bunny Hood as in MM, I would love to wear that thing as I do in MM in Hyrule Field as Young Link.

Maybe you should try asking Aroenai & Ozidual, which are people that did some QOL and decensorhip hacks for both Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask.
Oh that's awesome.
I wasn't even aware of those.
I might try to combine those patches with the Widescreen hacks from gamemasterplc found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baiPdteLT4g

His OoT Widescreen hack is only compatible with v1.2, so what I might try to do is combine the v1.2 uncensoring patch with the Widescreen one, to hopefully create the ultimate OoT 64 ROM. xD

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #5170 on: September 25, 2018, 03:50:23 pm »
Can someone please make this boss playable in Double Dragon 2? I messaged the person to see if he was going to release the hack, when he emailed me he was asking for $25 via Paypal... :banghead:

It also looks like that person did more DD2 hacks where you can play as bosses, too.
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 25, 2018, 04:12:25 pm »
Can someone please make this boss playable in Double Dragon 2? I messaged the person to see if he was going to release the hack, when he emailed me he was asking for $25 via Paypal... :banghead:

It also looks like that person did more DD2 hacks where you can play as bosses, too.
Man that is such a dick move from them.
I hate when romhackers start charging fees to release a hack.
Who the heck do they think they are?
Official devs? LOL

yetisyny

• yetisyny a.k.a. General Public
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: September 25, 2018, 04:30:55 pm »
Man that is such a dick move from them.
I hate when romhackers start charging fees to release a hack.
Who the heck do they think they are?
Official devs? LOL

I agree, but at least he asked for money via PayPal instead of BitCoin. If someone asked me for BitCoin... yeah not gonna happen. That stuff is WAY too complicated. At least ordinary people can use PayPal without having to spend endless hours studying how to do it like with BitCoin. At least this isn’t the dark web... ROM hacking is definitely way more legit than HACKING hacking.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:47 pm »
I'm actually super compelled to explore my idea further, but as I lack the hacking skills, perhaps looking into hex editing might help me along.

The problem there, of course, is if I use a hex editor like Cheat Engine, for example, how in the world do I narrow that down to code that involves the specific area of damage taken and in-game knockback? It would be easier to probably figure out the in-game timer and health, but I think looking for knockback values might be quite hard to do. My guess was to find the values in Original Mode, then just force them in Arrange Mode, but this is presuming that the vertical code is the same to help "porting" the horizontal value is as simple as adding that to Arrange Mode.

All this depends on even finding the values of knockback, and I wouldn't know where to begin looking for that. :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:05:22 pm by Foffy »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: September 25, 2018, 05:54:30 pm »
A way to combine both the widescreen hack by gamemasterplc and the uncensoring patch Aroenai & Ozidual for Ocarina of Time.
Both hacks require the v1.2 of the ROM as its base, but I haven't been able to combine them due to the obnoxious methods of patching which are so finicky about the base ROM used.

OoT 64 Widescreen patch:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4ad8fvqf02gji8/oot12ws.xdelta?dl=0

OoT64 Uncensoring patch:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/pgnk7x3kcmc3tlc/oot_v12_firetemple.zip

I want to basically have a Widescreen version of the v1.0 ROM, but sadly only the v1.2 has the widescreen hack, which is why I'm attempting to combine the v1.2 uncensoring patch too, to have all of those censored goodies back.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #5175 on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:45 pm »
I haven't been able to combine them due to the obnoxious methods of patching which are so finicky about the base ROM used.

Can't you create a new patch (in your preferred format) from the original and patched ROM?

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: September 25, 2018, 06:36:29 pm »
how in the world do I narrow that down to code
This is the *only* important part in ROM hacking: finding what byte(s) you need to modify. Using a hex editor is exactly the same as using a text editor like notepad. I imagine what you want will probably just take modifying one or two bytes in the whole ISO.

So, how would I try to find it:
0. Start the game in Original Mode.
1. Find the X position of the main character.
    1.1. Open BizHawk's "Tools"->"Ram Search".
    1.2. Move character a bit to the right, search "Greater Than" "Previous Value".
    1.3. Move character to the left, search "Less Than" "Previous Value".
    1.4. Stand still, search "Equal To" "Previous Value".
    1.5. Repeat until you're only left with the real X-position's address in the result list.
2. Use an emulator with a debugger: pSX, MAME, no$psx, one of the PCSX mods, Mednafen, etc. (I prefer MAME.)
3. Set a memory write breakpoint at the X-position's RAM address and stand still.
4. Wait until an enemy hits you. If there's an horizontal knockback, it will write a new X position to our RAM address we found and it will trigger the breakpoint.
5. Take a note of the pc (Program Counter) in the debugger. Or even the ra (Return Address) to see what called the current routine.
6. Open IDA Pro and open the game's executable file. Go to the position(s) you took note of in step 5.
7. Repeat all steps from point 1, now in Arrange mode (maybe finding X *and* Y position now, to make sure we trigger the breakpoint when we're hit.)
8. Find the difference between modes in step 6.
9. Figure out what needs to be changed in the code and insert it with ARMIPS.

You will need to know some basic MIPS assembly, of course. Just keep this document open while you read the ASM code: http://xifanie.ffhacktics.com/zodiac/PSX-INST.txt

If you intend to keep working on this, I have an ultra secret Discord server dedicated to PSX hacking (and translating) where I could help you in real time with more details. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the invite link.
There has to be a better life.

Foffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: September 25, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »
This is the *only* important part in ROM hacking: finding what byte(s) you need to modify. Using a hex editor is exactly the same as using a text editor like notepad. I imagine what you want will probably just take modifying one or two bytes in the whole ISO.

So, how would I try to find it:
0. Start the game in Original Mode.
1. Find the X position of the main character.
    1.1. Open BizHawk's "Tools"->"Ram Search".
    1.2. Move character a bit to the right, search "Greater Than" "Previous Value".
    1.3. Move character to the left, search "Less Than" "Previous Value".
    1.4. Stand still, search "Equal To" "Previous Value".
    1.5. Repeat until you're only left with the real X-position's address in the result list.
2. Use an emulator with a debugger: pSX, MAME, no$psx, one of the PCSX mods, Mednafen, etc. (I prefer MAME.)
3. Set a memory write breakpoint at the X-position's RAM address and stand still.
4. Wait until an enemy hits you. If there's an horizontal knockback, it will write a new X position to our RAM address we found and it will trigger the breakpoint.
5. Take a note of the pc (Program Counter) in the debugger. Or even the ra (Return Address) to see what called the current routine.
6. Open IDA Pro and open the game's executable file. Go to the position(s) you took note of in step 5.
7. Repeat all steps from point 1, now in Arrange mode (maybe finding X *and* Y position now, to make sure we trigger the breakpoint when we're hit.)
8. Find the difference between modes in step 6.
9. Figure out what needs to be changed in the code and insert it with ARMIPS.

You will need to know some basic MIPS assembly, of course. Just keep this document open while you read the ASM code: http://xifanie.ffhacktics.com/zodiac/PSX-INST.txt

If you intend to keep working on this, I have an ultra secret Discord server dedicated to PSX hacking (and translating) where I could help you in real time with more details. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the invite link.

I am most definitely interested in this, but I should disclose I am very unfamiliar with MIPS and hacking in general. I am not a programmer outside of some Java learning from a decade ago! :P

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: September 25, 2018, 07:43:56 pm »
I am most definitely interested in this [...]
As long as you're willing to learn and do all the work yourself, I don't mind teaching or guiding you.

This is my PSX hacking Discord: https://discord.gg/3EwsjTR
There has to be a better life.

mamertos

• View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:17 am »
Translate the japanese version of Battletoads (FAMICOM) since is easier than the US and PAL versions, adding also the beat sound from pause screen which is missed in the japanese version.