News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 981310 times)

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #5000 on: July 09, 2018, 02:48:50 pm »
Replace the cheesy announcer voice from Wave Race 64 with angry clips of Samuel L. Jackson.

This sounds hilarious. I don't really even like racing games outside of kart-racers and I would play this.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: July 09, 2018, 03:18:08 pm »
I eagerly await the N64 texture replacement vs the world conversations to happen for the SNES.

This sounds hilarious. I don't really even like racing games outside of kart-racers and I would play this.
Wave race plays much like a cart game.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: July 12, 2018, 05:30:00 am »
Donkey Kong 94 - Emulation Friendly Edition!

Here's a hack idea I've wanted for a while.  You know how Pauline screams "HELP!" when played on Super Gameboy?  Well, it doesn't work when you play the game in SGB mode on the Retron5.  So my proposal is to restore the proper Gameboy sound effects to the game when played in Super Gameboy mode.

The end credits are also produced by the SNES sound chip and are absent when played in emulation.  Restoration  of the 8-bit Gameboy music would remedy this issue.

How about the spiritually opposite? At the beginning of Stage 9-9, in the one-time cutscene before the boss, Pauline always uses her GB "Help!" sound regardless if you're playing the game on Super Game Boy. Can that be fixed?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5003 on: July 12, 2018, 10:41:54 am »
Donkey Kong 94 - Emulation Friendly Edition!

Here's a hack idea I've wanted for a while.  You know how Pauline screams "HELP!" when played on Super Gameboy?  Well, it doesn't work when you play the game in SGB mode on the Retron5.  So my proposal is to restore the proper Gameboy sound effects to the game when played in Super Gameboy mode.

The end credits are also produced by the SNES sound chip and are absent when played in emulation.  Restoration  of the 8-bit Gameboy music would remedy this issue.

I didn't know RetroN5 had an SGB mode.

Anyhow it seems odd the 8-bit music isn't playing. Unless you're actually emulating a SNES, the game shouldn't be looking for the SNES sound chip.

Some Gameboy emulators have a "fake SGB mode". Where colors and borders are loaded without SNES emulation.
But looking at it that way, most likely the problem. If the emulator identifies itself to the game as an SGB, when no SNES is present, the game would try to play music on a nonexistent chip.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:49:27 am by tc »

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: July 12, 2018, 11:54:48 am »
If the emulator identifies itself to the game as an SGB, when no SNES is present, the game would try to play music on a nonexistent chip.
That's exactly what it's doing.  The end credits on Donkey Kong uses the SNES sound chip on a Super Gameboy.  But since there isn't one available, you don't hear anything.  Same as the Pauline screams.

You'll have to pardon me, as I'm not a romhacker, so I may mince terms from time to time.  That's unintentional.  I'm just trying to describe what I'm experiencing.

The emulator apparently flags the games for SGB support, because it makes all of the palette and border choices as it would in real hardware.  For example, in Game & Watch Gallery (the first one), each of the four mini games has its own border and palette, and the emulator switches them accordingly, just like a real SGB.  (Side note: Any Gameboy Color games with SGB content will behave differently with the "fake" SGB display, but that's not really at issue here.)

Emulators seem as though they're attempting to access SNES hardware when prompted. For example, there's an interesting side effect when playing Space Invaders in emulation.  The cartridge had a separate SNES game built in, which you could select upon boot-up.  This select screen shows up in emulation, but obviously nothing happens when you pick the SNES game.  (Actually one of my other hack ideas was to bypass this screen in emulation.)

And lastly, the Retron5 may not have a Super Gameboy mode per se, but the emulator it uses sure does.  I'm about 90% sure it's VBA.  VBA does read for Super Gameboy content, and every Retron5 I've seen can display the games accordingly.  And it's the same thing as on the PC.  Donkey Kong plays normally, but Pauline and the end credits are silent.

My suggestion was to simply hack the game so that it always plays the DMG sounds, no matter what.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #5005 on: July 13, 2018, 12:04:10 pm »
Release demo version of Bob Ross hack for SMBW to public. Looks like beta version is being tested a bit.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #5006 on: July 14, 2018, 11:33:19 am »
Shiren the Wanderer (SNES) - Easy Mode Hack
-You can backtrack as far as the previous town using a scroll (access puzzle dungeon from any town)
-Resting at an inn makes that town your new respawn point
-Your current items when you died are dropped randomly on the floor you died on, similar to Diablo
-Herb of sight, warehouse pot, messenger NPC, purify scroll and arrows are more common
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: July 15, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »
A couple ideas for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days:
  • Casual Clothes - A model & texture modification to give the members of the organization (and the King) their non-organization clothes. Xion could be either Kairi's or Aqua's clothes.
  • X2 Magazine - A buff for Xigbar's arrowguns so he needs to reload less.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: July 15, 2018, 10:17:16 pm »
For both ports of Metal Slug 1, add the ability to have infinite continues.

Huh. Never thought of that. Yeah, infinite continues.

The other one is one for the PSP port of Metal Slug XX where it will restore the original screams & death screams of the soldier enemies, I'm not a fan of the new ones.

This could bring new optional patches.

Metal Slug 6(not the MSA one): Translation of Combat School and restore sounds like the Atomiswave port. The console Slug vulcan sounds like you're shooting birds instead of bullets.

Metal Slug 7/XX: Use the "Classic Hero Death Sounds" who got unused in MS7. MS6 onwards are too low...
(Optional) MS6 Announcer+MS6 POW "Thank you." clips. (for the "Mission 6" voice clip, extract it from Metal Slug 3D)
(Optional) MS6 Announcer+Classic Death Screams. (Although the "Thundershock" doesn't exist in MS6 voice. But neither the "Mobile Satellite" one.)
(Optional) MSXX Announcer+Classic Death Screams. To match its XBLA/PS4 release.

Metal Slug 3D(PS2): Complete menu and subtitles translation. Although the voices were in english, the Slug customization is hard when you don´t know what parts you need.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:43 am »
just wondering but would it be possible to change the movement controls in the game Landstalker from 4-way isometric to 8-direction movement? i can't but think that would make the game a lot easier to play.

or if not, simply turn the controls to normal up/down/left/right instead of the weird diagonal movement.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #5010 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:28 am »
..,or if not, simply turn the controls to normal up/down/left/right instead of the weird diagonal movement.

A little googeling later: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20088.20

/dACE

GeneralFailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: July 17, 2018, 03:20:58 pm »
Contra (Famicom) translation improvement
Basically, the logo in the Stardust Crusaders' translation lacks the American logo's shading and IMO the animation there fails to evoke "stream of fire" imagery that it should probably aim for. I think that the Quest Games' translation has inferior text scrolling and an odd-looking logo so overall I wouldn't recommend that one. I've asked Pennywise about the issue and he said that he can't help. I'm guessing the necessary palette change should be implementable?

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood translation improvement
I've mentioned this in the relevant thread but a lot of people probably missed it. This hack, while great, could still use a lot of work. It needs Windows to apply and even if you manage to apply it to the Redump image it'll fail to load. And obviously, the translated credits would be nice to have as well. :)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5012 on: July 17, 2018, 06:20:33 pm »
Ah, yeah, graphics aren't my forte. If someone wants to do the work to improve, I have no problem adding it.

neomerge

• View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: July 18, 2018, 05:32:40 pm »
I'll assume some of the Robopon are inaccessible due to only the Sun version being localized and not its companion Star?

Anyway:

Well a proper hack to Robopon would help that fixes the internal game clock so that it doesn't go beyond 23:00 whenever you start it up. You literally have to reset the damned clock every time you start up the ROM because if the game's clock isn't set properly, random Robopon won't show up. Also a way to get the Teardrop of Morris and other items that require a TV remote to access.

I'd really like this as well also something that may be a bit simpler would be adding in a run button. The main character in the game walks so slow. It would be nice to be able to hold down b or something to run. I've never hacked any rom before but this would be something I'd do if I did.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: July 18, 2018, 11:32:23 pm »
A little googeling later: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20088.20

/dACE

oh, ok. ty!

after testing the patch: that's...not exactly what i had in mind. that just reconfigured the controls so instead of being diagonal, they're "Up on the D-pad = ↗, Down = ↙, Left = ↖ & Right = ↘".

it doesn't actually change the movement itself. it just give you a different choice of configuration which, while nice, isn't what i had in mind.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:50:24 pm by treos »

Captain Speedy Dash

• View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: July 19, 2018, 10:33:07 am »
I was wondering if someone could make a rom hack for Yu-Gi-Oh Reshef of Destruction that ups the rewards for battling Joey and Yugi so that the game isn't as much of a grind.

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: July 20, 2018, 08:32:09 pm »
I've made the Stare command for Fluttershy, but I want the Stare Command to have the Pin animation when she uses it. By the way, I'm using ff4kster to make my ponification of Final Fantasy IV.

Ligeia

• View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: July 21, 2018, 06:27:50 am »
That's a great topic, made especially for me !  ;D I've got plenty of ideas but minor hacking skills, unfortunately. Here are some ideas I recall right now (some are quite simple) :

- a simple hack of Secret of Mana with the three heroes' color palettes switched with their doppelganger boss counterparts ;
- a fully colorized version of Final Fantasy Adventure (I tried to start this but it seems GB Colorizer doesn't work with that game) ;
- a Super Mario World hack which would be a remake both Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2. The SML1 levels could be the first world of the game for instance. A New Super Mario Bros Wii hack could do the job too, I guess.
- a full-fledged hack for Street Fighter II The World Warriors including bosses as playable characters. I know there's already a hack called Street Fighter V that does the job but it's very glitchy.
- a hack for Mortal Kombat II (Super NES) including bosses as playable characters. I think there's one for the Genesis version but not for the SNES version.

Hope you find some of these ideas interesting.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: July 21, 2018, 10:32:15 am »
I've made the Stare command for Fluttershy, but I want the Stare Command to have the Pin animation when she uses it. By the way, I'm using ff4kster to make my ponification of Final Fantasy IV.

oh? a new ponification hack is in the works? been quite some time since i last heard of one of those hacks being made. probably several years at least.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: July 22, 2018, 12:08:57 am »
Is it possible to restore the color palettes of the Game Boy Color port of Donkey Kong Country, just like the way people here had restores color palettes in GBA games?