News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 981299 times)

crimental

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4900 on: May 26, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »
Could someone unite these patches?
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=2397

thanks.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: May 26, 2018, 09:37:23 pm »
Hi
Would anyone like to make a tutorial on how to program a characters movesets
for the non playable bosses to prevent game freeze?.
This is about as appropriate of a place on this forum for this post. :police:
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4902 on: May 27, 2018, 06:07:57 am »
Could someone unite these patches?
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&game=2397

thanks.

You don't need to. I just checked all of them, and they all modify different addresses in the base ROM, so you can combine them together with no problem at all. :)

Of course, maybe you want one IPS file instead of four, but it's really not a big deal. At least now you know you can do it safely.

EDIT: I'm a nice person. Here you go. ;)
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/Snake's%20Revenge%20ALL.ips
If you want to submit it to the RHDN database as an Addendum, be my guest, but make sure you properly credit all three authors! I can't be bothered... :D

crimental

• View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: May 28, 2018, 01:26:39 am »
You don't need to. I just checked all of them, and they all modify different addresses in the base ROM, so you can combine them together with no problem at all. :)

Of course, maybe you want one IPS file instead of four, but it's really not a big deal. At least now you know you can do it safely.

EDIT: I'm a nice person. Here you go. ;)
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/Snake's%20Revenge%20ALL.ips
If you want to submit it to the RHDN database as an Addendum, be my guest, but make sure you properly credit all three authors! I can't be bothered... :D

Thank you very much!

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: May 28, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »
I really like the Final Fantasy Restored hack, but not much of its title screen, would there be any patch that would restore the original? I tried to contact the author but got no response.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: May 28, 2018, 07:36:26 pm »
Randomizer for Gotcha Force (GC) for stats/abilities.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: May 28, 2018, 09:07:16 pm »
I need some inspiration 8)
~The3Dude~

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: May 28, 2018, 11:11:14 pm »
I thought you had all the ideas already. :huh:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26094.0

If you don't have ideas, and you don't particularly know what you are doing, then ... why are you doing this again?

Perhaps in answering that question, you may find your inspiration?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:16:42 pm by Jorpho »
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

mushguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: May 29, 2018, 02:51:56 am »
I don't know if this was discussed already, but I was thinking about hacks for the GBA versions of Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 that do fixes for graphics and some of the music. In the graphics department, palette fixes that instead use the palettes from the SNES games; also, animation fixes for some sprites that are either too slow and/or missing frames (Diddy's idle animation comes to mind). In the music department, some minor fixes for several songs that range from missing some notes (Jungle Hijinxs, for example) or have a few notes too many (Ice Cave Chant, for example), to screwing up great parts of the song (Forest Frenzy as a minor offender, Tree Top Rock as a major offender); apparently the composer of the GBA port did not pay enough attention to the soundtrack when recreating it for GBA from scratch. Also, correcting track names from the sound tests (Simian Segue to DK Island Swing; Kannon's Klaim to Mining Melancholy).

A fix could also be made for Donkey Kong Country 3, but only in the graphics department (colors and animations; Kiddy's sitting animation looks a bit off, for example).

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: May 29, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
Thinking back, the PSX and Saturn versions of Metal Slug needs:

A translation for MS1 (you can use the scripts from the Neo-Geo CD port, which are in English, Combat School included).
For PlayStation: Translate the Another Story minigames.
For Sega Saturn: to revert "nP=2" to nUP=2" in the HUD graphics (n being the Player Number).

Decensoring the blood on overseas versions of MSX, and relocate Assault Theme on the 3rd Boss. I found out recently that First Contact and Final Attack have TWO different renditions (I guess it was for improving load times) but the third boss alternate rendition should have been Assault Theme, not Final Attack.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:51 am »
Those are cool ideas for the old console ports of Metal Slug 1 & X.

For both ports of Metal Slug 1, add the ability to have infinite continues.

The two Metal Slug hacks that I really want to see is one for the Arcade & Neo-Geo ports of Metal Slug X that would give the background stages their Metal Slug 2 color palettes and the Metal Slug 1 bosses their Metal Slug 1 color palettes. I also wouldn't mind seeing this be done to the PSX port of it as well.

The other one is one for the PSP port of Metal Slug XX where it will restore the original screams & death screams of the soldier enemies, I'm not a fan of the new ones.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:56:16 am by SCD »

RandomMan25XX

• View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: May 31, 2018, 06:58:50 am »
The likelihood of my post being seen is slim to none, but with the recent leak of the Pokémon Gold Spaceworld 1997 Demo and the lack of color in less than accurate emulators and GBC VC, I was wondering if someone could make a color hack of sorts, kinda like the color hacks for Pokémon Red and Blue, there is an SGB Palette to work with so that should save a bit of time in doing whatever may be done, it could be a compliment to the english translation that is also being worked on for the game

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: May 31, 2018, 07:52:36 am »
It'd be nice if someone could grab one of the Super Robot Wars games and extensively hack it in order to create the true vision of Super Heroine Chronicle (an offshoot of Super Robot Wars, think SRW with waifus). According to TV Tropes, the original game was, allegedly, supposed to have far more characters than it originally did:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/SuperHeroineChronicle

What Could Have Been: If this Japanese post was true, the original idea for the game was completely different from the final designed cast, including being planned originally for the PSP rather than the Play Station Vita. Also, other series, including Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Tenchi Muyo!, Heaven's Lost Property, Bubblegum Crisis (the 80s series, not the Tokyo 2040 remake), Silent Möbius, Scrapped Princess, Fate/stay night, Ninja Nonsense, Mahoromatic, Strike Witches, Slayers, Mai-HiME, the first Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movie, Cyber Team in Akihabara, Cutey Honey (the Studio Gainax OVA), A Certain Scientific Railgun, Jubei-chan and even Devilman Lady were considered to be included.

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: May 31, 2018, 08:35:06 am »
I hope somebody completes a flexible graphics editor program cause many of the graphics editors I found aren't that flexible to edit graphics! For example, having aditional graphics formats support, pixel editor, palette editor, and user interface bug squishing just like TileShop.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: May 31, 2018, 09:41:17 am »
What additional formats do you want? Several of the higher end tools support things that are normally only seen in 3d textures. Or do you mean importing things? If so there are those that support bitmap and PNG, no sense catering to those foolish enough to use a lossy format.
Or do you mean known formats like we see on the filesystem based devices? There are a few of those too but I guess there could stand to be more, though some were coming the other way and making plugins for more conventional graphics editors ( http://loveemu.hatenablog.com/entry/20091004/nitroscrap ).

Palette editor? Plenty seem to have a read from and write to command, as well as the ability to customise a colour. What else is there?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4915 on: May 31, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
I agree with FAST6191, this post is a little confusing. The combination of Tile Molester and GIMP has allowed me to do pretty much anything, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. Pixel editor? You mean zooming in? :huh:

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: June 01, 2018, 11:38:13 pm »
If your familiar with sprite editing than yes. Palette editor obviously allows you to change sprites into anything you want. If people want to make ponified versions of Made in Japan video games, palette editing is what I'd suggest they use first.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: June 02, 2018, 09:23:03 am »
A palette editor does nothing of the sort.

Most game graphics, certainly most of those we deal with around here, are kind of like paint by numbers pictures. The palette is then the thing that tells the game what colour to look up for it (see also why we have things like CLUT in later formats/systems -- colour look up table). Some systems have a hardcoded one but most will allow custom ones that the game creates at run time. You then edit this palette however you will (bearing in mind some games do animations by editing the palette at runtime, and there is a reason why we have the term "palette swap") and can change colours for whatever purpose you like.
The only way you alter what a thing looks like if is you can change one of the colours to the transparent one, or make one colour the same as another and cause something to blend in that did not before.

To alter what things look like you tend to want to do tile editing which is a different game entirely.

Similarly "ponified versions"? Is there anything inherent to that that needs to considered from a technical side of things? It would seem to fall entirely under conventional graphics hacking from where I sit.

When you say sprite editing do you mean like more contemporary sprite/pixel art and graphics editors? If so that is not likely to happen as the systems we deal with, and the way the games are programmed, means you necessarily need the flexibility of a hacker style tile editor unless you have a game specific tool, or something some complex as to almost be a programming language unto itself.

In all this I still have to say I would love someone to come along and take all the best parts of the various editors out there to make a super tile editor (something like the UI of tiled2002, with the power of crystaltile2 and various things tileggd and tinke afford me, as well as borrowing whatever from Tile Layer Pro and Tile Molester and making it far more stable than most of those).

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4918 on: June 02, 2018, 09:36:26 am »
Again, your second post only made us more confused. :)

If we look at palettes on the NES, for example, they're stored at a different part of the PPU's memory than the actual graphics, not to mention the attribute table that says which palette goes with each tile. Then sprite palettes are kept with each sprite in OAM memory. All are changed with specific instructions from the CPU, so none can be edited in a tile editing program.

Besides, "ponified"? "Made in Japan"? I feel like we're speaking different languages... :D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: June 02, 2018, 11:53:34 am »
Well, on that topic, has someone yet made a GUI replacement for FEIDIAN. A great tool but having to install a base program I'm never going to use otherwise is kind of a pain.
Something a bit more Freakin' Easy to use, as the program title suggested (I forget what the rest meant).
For those who hadn't heard of it, it was a program D wrote in some interpreter language (was it Python? I forget) to define game-specific uncompressed tile formats in any size (beyond the standard multiples of 8x8) and dump or insert them to/from BMP.

Maybe that is what is meant by "more formats"?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018