News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1188577 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4340 on: October 29, 2017, 10:14:53 pm »
I would really like a hack of Mega Man 8 (preferably of the Saturn version which has all the extra goodies) that adds the Japanese voices back in with English subtitles. I know it's possible due to there being two Spanish fan translations that do exactly that, but I would obviously like it in a language I understand.

Same here, along with restoring the Japanese voices back to the Sega Saturn port of Mega Man X4 as well.

I also want someone to restore the Japanese voices back to the cutscenes of the American version of Strider 2 as well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:28:34 pm by SCD »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: October 30, 2017, 12:11:42 am »
To go back to a earlier idea, I feel like Suikoden 2 overall has been very neglected over the years and it could use a update to fix the many issues with it.

Basic:

1) Re-insert the missing music (The NA Version suffers from this)

2) fix the dialogue bugs

3) Possibly update the English translation (low priority? I know some people were not too thrilled with the original translation).

4) Insert missing enemies that exist within the table & fix enemy text errors.

5) Many of the Weapon Levels are never seen in-game for certain characters, resetting certain character's weapons back to level 1 would be ideal for those who like to see what their weapons used to be.

6) Restoring the Solitude Rune

7) Restoring the Bath Set

Advanced:

1) It was discovered last year that Suikoden 2 had a new game plus feature, whether any of the functions still exist that it would be neat to see this feature be restored somehow.

2) Find some way to obtain all 108 Stars without any time limits, this way players don't feel the need to be rushed to obtain certain characters (should be made as a separate patch). I'm kind of curious to know if the game bugs out somehow if you obtain a character that occupies the same star?

3) At the end of the game there were items you could obtain, but it was completely useless...(thus new game plus) or move the items to a new practical location (more ideal).

Fun ideas:

1) Suikoden 2 is infamous for a lot of blocked off areas, I think it would be neat to throw in a few super bosses just for players to mess around with to get a extra challenge out of the game.

2) Finally, I feel like Neclord was the most underwhelming boss that had a badass boss theme, upgrading him to make him more of a threat would be a good quality change.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:32:14 am by Kallisto »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: October 30, 2017, 05:31:10 pm »
There's two Yu-Gi-Oh GBA games, The Sacred Cards and Reshef of Destruction I'd love to see someone create a Patcher that allows any combination of the following patches for them:
  • Remove Deck Point Limit. 40 cards per deck is okay, but the fact that cards cost "deck points" and you can't go above your Deck Capacity AND total Deck Point is BS. The Duelist Level however is OK (as in: if your Duelist Level is 131, you can't have a card that costs more than 131 in your deck)
  • Remove the Element Advantage system. The whole Fire beats Forest beats Wind beats Earth beats Lighting beats Water beats Fire or the Dark beats Light beats Illusion beats Dream beats Dark or whatever.
  • Implement TRUE RNG. The game's RNG only changes when you talk to NPCs, otherwise you can wind up with an unwinnable match unless you find how many times you need to talk to a certain NPC. Just have the shuffle happen randomly before any duel, like it should be.
  • Improve AI. The AI will take dumb risks and attack a face down card even if it means they will be open for an attack of a bigger monster right afterwards. Perhaps add a 50% chance for the AI to attack a face down monster if it means risking themselves getting drained.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: October 30, 2017, 08:48:49 pm »
The first three should be doable enough, though may break the AI further (no RNG means you can store premade strategies for certain card stacks, lack of customisation on your part does also help that, and the game AI may be built to score elements differently and as well as removing whatever multipliers/additions you get for it you would also want to look at the AI handling of it all).

The fourth though... AI in card games is a hard task. I have often linked https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/duels-planeswalkers-all-about-ai-2014-02-13 around here but it is as relevant as ever. That said that is for a multi GHz big boy processor, not a 16MHz ARM7 on a machine with no memory and certainly not a lot of storage which only makes things worse.
That said what you want there is within its own parameters (doing a coin flip before determining an extra action is not major work). I am not sure it would be a dumb strategy though (would have to run the numbers and GBA era card game yu gi oh always seemed fundamentally broken whenever I looked, not as bad as pokemon card game but by no means good).

As ever we can certainly allow customisation and whatnot in a computerised collectible card game, however it is only going to be any good if you want to play with another human.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: October 31, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »
Same here, along with restoring the Japanese voices back to the Sega Saturn port of Mega Man X4 as well.

I also want someone to restore the Japanese voices back to the cutscenes of the American version of Strider 2 as well.

Same here. And if there are those that do want a good English dub, I suggest fandubbing with the right voices on those. I mean the Iris with British accent needs to go (I'd prefer her without it).

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: October 31, 2017, 07:38:39 pm »
F-Zero 2 was released via the BS Satellite service in Japan, the game filled a niche that in modernity would be considered a level pack.   Gameplay-wise I believe it uses the same engine and whatnot.  Although it is called 'F-Zero 2' the reality is that it simply swapped some cars, title screen and replaced the tracks with a new one called Ace.

I'm not particularly attached to the newer BS F-Zero Machines, would it be possible to add 'Ace' to the original F-Zero for one definitive SNES F-Zero experience?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: October 31, 2017, 10:52:09 pm »
The first three should be doable enough, though may break the AI further (no RNG means you can store premade strategies for certain card stacks, lack of customisation on your part does also help that, and the game AI may be built to score elements differently and as well as removing whatever multipliers/additions you get for it you would also want to look at the AI handling of it all).

The fourth though... AI in card games is a hard task. I have often linked https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/duels-planeswalkers-all-about-ai-2014-02-13 around here but it is as relevant as ever. That said that is for a multi GHz big boy processor, not a 16MHz ARM7 on a machine with no memory and certainly not a lot of storage which only makes things worse.
That said what you want there is within its own parameters (doing a coin flip before determining an extra action is not major work). I am not sure it would be a dumb strategy though (would have to run the numbers and GBA era card game yu gi oh always seemed fundamentally broken whenever I looked, not as bad as pokemon card game but by no means good).

As ever we can certainly allow customisation and whatnot in a computerised collectible card game, however it is only going to be any good if you want to play with another human.
The RNG issue is only that it only rolls when you interact with any NPC, and it rolls for the duelist you will challenge too. Test it by save stating before challenging, say, Tristan. Note the cards he plays on the first turn and the cards on your hand. Then load the same save, try it again. It'll be the exact same Cards. But, if you load and leave to talk to some NPCs (not duel) then come back to challenge Tristan, you will see the cards won't be the same.

It's as if they shuffle the deck by watching you interact with other people without dueling.

jhorsfield30

• John @ Return learn gaming
    • View Profile
    • Return learn gaming
« Reply #4347 on: November 01, 2017, 03:20:30 pm »
Would really like to see Ninja gaiden 2 + 3 - evil edition (Great work by Kamming for NG - 1 evil)
And also Madcity hack (Bijou billy) with Mick Dundee in the cutscene text.
John - Hearts Minds
@Heartsmindsmed
Researcher/writer/designer. Inspiring change through media, games (http://returnlearn.org.uk ), documentaries (HMM) and posters (http://retroreload.co.uk )to inspire

SumisuBushido

• View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: November 01, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
Hello RomHacking.net users,
I was just wondering if anyone would collaborate with me on this project such as Dr. Floppy, insectduel, acmlm, and HappyLee. I am also wondering if you could also help out on coding new powerups like Mario doing the hadouken, a clock that can freeze time like in Super Mario Unlimited, a helmet that can break bricks, a power-up that can make Mario double jump, and a wing that can make Mario swim in air for a temporary time like in Super Mario Bros. Special.
Here is the music I want hacked:
Over world = Dr. Floppy's version of SMB1 Over world Theme heard in Super Mario Unlimited.
Underground = Megaman Xtreme 2 - Sigma Boss Theme (Extreme Mode)
Underwater = Sonic Drift 2 - Emerald Ocean
Castle = Megaman Xtreme 2 - Berkana and Gareth Stages
Starman Theme = Megaman Xtreme 2 - Weapon Get
Entering Pipe = Megaman Xtreme 2 - Stage Selected
Level Clear = Megaman Xtreme 2 - Level Clear
World Clear = Legend of Zelda - Rescue Zelda (not the part that sounds like the game over theme)
 (Note: I don't care if some of the music gets cut or it has to be speed up (Max speed: tempo of the SMB1 hurry up overworld)
Here's the file for the beta 1: https://www.romhacking.net/scratchpad/9792/
 Thanks,
SumisuBushido
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:37:27 pm by SumisuBushido »

pocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:12 pm »
That new Zelda II hack with new Link sprites is pretty sick. I'd like one for the original Zelda, something like how Link looks in CSX Hyrule's Doom, but keeping the cross on the shield.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #4350 on: November 02, 2017, 12:48:09 am »
I'd like to see BS Zelda fully hacked into a full SNES remake (using Quest 1 and 2's maps).

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: November 02, 2017, 03:03:33 am »
F-Zero 2 was released via the BS Satellite service in Japan, the game filled a niche that in modernity would be considered a level pack.   Gameplay-wise I believe it uses the same engine and whatnot.  Although it is called 'F-Zero 2' the reality is that it simply swapped some cars, title screen and replaced the tracks with a new one called Ace.

I'm not particularly attached to the newer BS F-Zero Machines, would it be possible to add 'Ace' to the original F-Zero for one definitive SNES F-Zero experience?

I'd like to see BS Zelda fully hacked into a full SNES remake (using Quest 1 and 2's maps).

I definitely want to see both of these hack ideas to come true.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:48 am »
That's already done.
Check BS Zelda MottZilla Project

Edit:
Oh wait you mean the original maps from Zelda 1 in BS Zelda?
That would be hard to do, the map grid in BS Zeld is smaller than that of the original, so not all rooms/screens can fit.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 02, 2017, 01:28:38 pm »
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter EX Edition needs a re-tweak.

It was good to unlock Norimaro for the USA ver., but I want to know if it's possible to unlock the Secret Battles. I grew up with the PSX edition, so would be cool to add those fights, as well with a "what if this was localized?" script, including Norimaro's Ending.

vs. Shadow/Mech-Zangief
M.Bison: "Witness the peak of Shadaloo technology!"

vs. Dark Sakura
Akuma: "The Evil Intent is blooming in this youngster."

Norimaro's Ending:
"After defeating Apocalypse and Cyber-Akuma..."
"...Norimaro became King of the World."
"His legacy as the 'Geek King'..."
"...is a pain in History Exams."

Also translate the entire Sega Saturn port.

Truner

• View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 02, 2017, 07:17:58 pm »
Dunno why no one ever thought of this one, but I did and I did try some of the tools to try and realize such a thing, but after failing, I'm tossing the idea here in hope that someone finds it worthy of consideration:
BS The Legend of Zelda's maps 1 and 2 remade in Zelda 1. Map 1 would be the first quest, Map 2 would be the second quest.
Both maps have a smaller overworld so there's no reason the game should run out of space. While there are more story bits in BS The Legend of Zelda, leaving it out would create a much more authentic Zelda 1 experience. With the story "structure" left as it was in the original game, the only change would be in the areas. BSTLoZ uses the same grid as the original game did too.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like an impossible hack to make, yet I can't make out the inner workings of the existing Zelda 1 editors. I might just muck around a bit more if no one finds this post useful.

standigz

• View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: November 02, 2017, 10:07:26 pm »
I learned there is an NTSC optimized version of Super Turrican (NES) that remains unreleased and in the hands of collector(s),  I respect that, but I still want to play the game properly without emulation. 

How feasible would it be to make the PAL version play at the correct speed on NTSC TV's?

*Super Turrican on the NES is distinct from the SNES game of the same name

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #4356 on: November 03, 2017, 09:04:18 am »
Turn FF6 into IT: The RPG, then turn Kefka into Pennywise so we can kick his ass.

And don't forget to change the titlescreen logo.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 03, 2017, 05:40:59 pm »
My newfound love of Panel De Pon has been leaking into my creative process,

How about Puyo&Pons?
So, both occupy vaguely the same color set and have similar rules, here's how I imagine it.

Puyos fall slowly from ceiling, Pons rise from floor
You move things with the Pon style cursor
When a Puyo hits a same colored Pon they stick together, causing delay when you try to separate them.
Pons and Puyos do not react together except for special effects.

If you eliminate a chain of Pons with a stuck Puyo, you get a special effect
Red: Explodes, eliminating Pons on 3 sides but leaves Puyo unaffected
Purple:Expands into giant Puyo, pushes other things out of the way, can destroy things near walls.
Cyan: Freezes into Icy Puyo, will slide quickly if flipped in an open space.
Yellow:Charges into Electro Puyo, reacts explosively with other Yellow Puyos or Pons
Green:Converts all Pons around itself into Puyos and vice versa.
Black:Sticks to everything like tar, makes things harder to move.

Storywise: A crossever of Panel De Pon and Tetris Attack characters with Puyo Puyo and Mean Bean characters,
also introducing Eggatha Omeletta Ovoida Robotnik as a bonus boss because why not,
she would probably fit nicely with Panel De Pon's artstyle anyway.

anyway, I don't know if this is a viable idea or not, I was going to poke at it in Construct to see if it worked out but I don't feel like trying to set something like this up right now.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Cab Calloway - St James Infirmary (Remix) || https://youtu.be/w6O55OajzwA

jgmr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 03, 2017, 08:32:15 pm »
What I am asking for is something simple (well, it should be anyway)!  A mod of the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3, so that the boss music that is used for Arich and Kroctopus is instead used for the two K. Roolenstein battles, with the former two having the normal boss theme.  You get what I'm saying?

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: November 04, 2017, 08:17:51 pm »
In Clock Tower for the SNES, once you trigger all scissorman encounters, there's no way of having him show up again. It would be nice if it were possible to make scissorman show up randomly at any time just like in Clock Tower for the PS1.