News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2331558 times)

julayla

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4240 on: October 05, 2017, 03:11:41 pm »
Here's another idea: Hacking Pokemon TCG GBC with a female protagonist (not sure if it's done yet)

NES Boy

• View Profile

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: October 06, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. Another idea that came to my mind? The Mascot characters from the Satellaview games being in Zelda 2. I don't know why, but I think that would be an interesting idea

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: October 06, 2017, 01:29:06 pm »
Im not so good in writing programs. I would like if someone could make tool for SNES smc to sfrom and sfrom to smc. There is bat programs but you need python to make it work.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4244 on: October 06, 2017, 05:06:49 pm »
Im not so good in writing programs. I would like if someone could make tool for SNES smc to sfrom and sfrom to smc. There is bat programs but you need python to make it work.

Sfrom? Do you mean .sfc files? I thought they were identical other than the extension. Top Google match is this:
http://smc2sfc.herokuapp.com/
Besides, I don't really know why it matters...?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: October 06, 2017, 05:20:39 pm »
Sfrom? Do you mean .sfc files? I thought they were identical other than the extension. Top Google match is this:
http://smc2sfc.herokuapp.com/
Besides, I don't really know why it matters...?
SFROM extension is the format used by the SNES Mini to handle SNES ROMs.
They are basically the ROM itself alongside a 0x30 header and some footer which varies from game to game.

Right now the only converter there is for SFC/SMC to SFROM is a Python script, but unless someone takes a bite out of the Python script and translates it to C/C++/C#, there won't be any other way to convert them anytime soon.
Simply install Python and that's it, it's no big deal
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:33:45 am by ShadowOne333 »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4246 on: October 06, 2017, 05:34:59 pm »
They are basically the ROM itself alongside a 0x30 header and some footer which varies from game to game.

Ohhh, I just Googled "SNES smc to sfrom" and nothing came up about the SNES Mini, so I didn't realise. Although now I know, I do have to ask again why it matters. :) I suppose some people REALLY want to hack an $80 emulation box to add more games, rather than just buy a $25 Android TV box and use that instead...

Right now the only converter there is for SFC/SMC to SFROM is a Python script, but unless someone takes a bite out of the Python script and translates it to C/C++/C#, there won't be any other way to convert them anytime use.

Well exactly. If it matters that much to you, install Python.

p.s. I'm not saying the SNES Mini is pointless, far from it. I get the aesthetic and it being an official Nintendo product. But that's all the more reason that I wouldn't want to hack the damn thing. If I want to play anything other than the 21 games on there, I'm not going to use that.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24:07 pm »
Correction: used in the SNES Mini and WiiU Virtual Console.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: October 06, 2017, 10:23:28 pm »

Right now the only converter there is for SFC/SMC to SFROM is a Python script, but unless someone takes a bite out of the Python script and translates it to C/C++/C#, there won't be any other way to convert them anytime use.
People that don't know how to use 4dv4nc3d l337 t00lz can always get something like ucon64, put a variable header, a variable footer et voila! ;)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: October 07, 2017, 02:42:44 am »
Correction: used in the SNES Mini and WiiU Virtual Console.
Well he mentions the Python script, I assumed he was referring to the SNES Mini, but the Wii U Virtual console (afaik) has the ROM inside the main executable (RPX files), or were those the NES VC? I can't remember off the top of my head.

People that don't know how to use 4dv4nc3d l337 t00lz can always get something like ucon64, put a variable header, a variable footer et voila! ;)
Python is not even an advanced tool for a mere user.
It's the programming language, all he has to do is simply install Python, run the script, that's it.
Little to no user input required other than the file names iirc.

Ohhh, I just Googled "SNES smc to sfrom" and nothing came up about the SNES Mini, so I didn't realise. Although now I know, I do have to ask again why it matters. :) I suppose some people REALLY want to hack an $80 emulation box to add more games, rather than just buy a $25 Android TV box and use that instead...

Well exactly. If it matters that much to you, install Python.

p.s. I'm not saying the SNES Mini is pointless, far from it. I get the aesthetic and it being an official Nintendo product. But that's all the more reason that I wouldn't want to hack the damn thing. If I want to play anything other than the 21 games on there, I'm not going to use that.
To me the Mini consoles ARE pointless.
It's just because it has the Nintendo brand into it that makes people flock pre-order sites like fucking vultures, and for what? Just because they are collectible?
I don't get the appeal of said things when a cheap Android can deliver WAY more than that, even up to Dreamcast consoles.
Not only that, but the Mini consoles have a severe flaw...
  • Space limitation: The user is stuck to a 512MB NAND with no way to add more through SD or some other external device (if you were to hack it)
  • Licensing issues: This is the real problem with the Mini consoles. Right now it's not much of an issue, but you just wait until the N64 Mini arrives, and the licensing issues will be greatly enhanced.

Nintendo's odd policies and the lack top-tier games from their old consoles due to licensing issues is what makes me go for RetroArch instead of the Virtual Console anyday.
I don't need to pay for the 10th time for a game I own the cartridge for just to play it with an awful gamma correction (darkened image) and in a forced 4:3 aspect ratio for games that have support for native 16:9 (Like DK64).

I could go on and on, but you catch my drift.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4250 on: October 07, 2017, 03:57:43 am »
To me the Mini consoles ARE pointless.

I get you, but it's not designed for me or you. I wouldn't buy one myself, but at least I can see why the casual person who hasn't played a SNES game in 20 years might be interested.

Have to share this link though. :D

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-fuck/

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:25 am »
Better yet, run the S/NES Mini emus themselves on an R-Pi:
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1823

The SNES ROMs inside .rpx files are in sfrom format.  The big difference from smc is that they contain info on the chipset used, will include decrypted dumps of the coprocessor data if required (eg: dsp), and can override audio with pcms.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: October 07, 2017, 12:14:17 pm »
I get you, but it's not designed for me or you. I wouldn't buy one myself, but at least I can see why the casual person who hasn't played a SNES game in 20 years might be interested.

Have to share this link though. :D

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-fuck/

Yeah like, what the heck, what is this? An Apple product or something?
Overpriced and underpowered?!

Going for the Raspberry Pi alternative is way better in my opinion.
Not only can you play up to N64 and PSX in it, but you are not restricted to 512MB of NAND, just all that your SD can hold. I bet you can even get one cheaper than the 80 bucks of the current Mini, and with Wifi+Bluetooth, and not restricted to the propietary Wiimote-like ports of the system. USB all the way.

Really those Mini things are way too pricy and lack horsepower for anything superior, if they do the N64 Mini they will for sure have to ramp up in the hardware department.

Better yet, run the S/NES Mini emus themselves on an R-Pi:
https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1823

The SNES ROMs inside .rpx files are in sfrom format.  The big difference from smc is that they contain info on the chipset used, will include decrypted dumps of the coprocessor data if required (eg: dsp), and can override audio with pcms.
Ah yeah I remember the Wii U dumps had the PCMs stored separately from the main ROM, the same as the SNES Mini dumps too.
I just didn't know the ROMs themselves were in SFROM in the Wii U, since they were inside the main executable file :P
Thanks for the heads up!

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4253 on: October 07, 2017, 12:57:16 pm »
Yeah like, what the heck, what is this? An Apple product or something?
Overpriced and underpowered?!

Going for the Raspberry Pi alternative is way better in my opinion.

I have a feeling you may have missed the irony of the article. :)

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: October 07, 2017, 03:31:07 pm »
I don't get the appeal of said things when a cheap Android can deliver WAY more than that, even up to Dreamcast consoles.

Actually I bought both because the controllers work with my trusty ole Wii. Ever looked up the cost of an official Club Nintendo Wii Super Famicom controller? They range from $30-80+S&H, depending on condition and what's all included. And to the best of my knowledge, Club Nintendo never released a Wii Famicom controller, so the only alternative was to butcher a Wii Classic controller and a NES controller or get an adapter from Raphnet, etc.

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:07 am »
With literally no experience in ASM hacking, I've been trying for a week now to remove the integrity check from this patch:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/
I think I'm fundamentally misunderstanding the HiROM structure and jumps between banks - I've been trying to redirect the point of divergence (C8/CEA5) to after the checks have been made (C0/ECE5) with no success (intro plays), or trying to intercept the load from SRAM to load immediate or load from the databank (with the last one causing an integrity failure, not the usual black screen).

My ultimate goal is to have only 2 ROMs - the original, and the one with all the hacks (currently just the retranslation and one of the maeson hacks) applied to it. Currently I need 3, with the one being the translation only so it can generate a save file with the proper flag set (I assume 0000AB at 1FF0).

Knowing this is basically "can someone do the dirty work for me?" sort of thing (though I'd be happy to learn), may I just say pretty please?

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: October 08, 2017, 09:48:32 am »
Dunno if this has already been suggested (or maybe even done), but I think it'd be neat to see hacks of the various Ghostbusters games replacing the guys with the new lady Ghostbusters. And changing the various bosses to those from the new movie.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: October 08, 2017, 04:13:09 pm »
Increase longevity of some Mario Party mini-games that are fun enough to be its own game. Having watched Mario Party 2 from the Nintendo World Championships, I think the Shell Shocked mini-game should be one of them. Eliminate the timer and increase the amount of hits a player can take.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: October 08, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »
Speaking of Mario Party, the first one needs to fix those "twirl the controllers to control certain minigames" bit on a few of them. Like when doing the tug-o-war based one for example.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: October 08, 2017, 09:53:16 pm »
Well, Tug-o-War is confirmed to reappear in the upcoming Top 100 game for Nintendo 3DS, so let's wait until the new control scheme is confirmed before adapting it to the N64 version.