News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1311250 times)

maseter

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4180 on: September 12, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
I'm surprised nobody hacked HUNTER X HUNTER into a Castlevania game yet, or at least translated it!
A Castlevania clone for the GBC by Konami released in Japan only, has a proper whip and everything:

Full review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmRnLdJCYw
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:27:28 pm by maseter »

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: September 12, 2017, 01:02:40 pm »
Donkey kong country 2 COOP....as in both can play at the same time. Also make more enemys in each lvl to make it harder. possible more secret levels?

romhackingaccount

• View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: September 12, 2017, 01:43:20 pm »
Chrono Trigger 3.

I've been working on this without telling anyone on the internet due to the possibility of being shut down by S-E. I've seen what happened with Chrono Trigger 3d and Crimson Echoes, so I haven't put any news about this anywhere.

My question here is what people would suggest as a method to get it out there? I'd have to do it anonymously (not here) and get it spread as far as possible underground without any accounts linked to me. I am thinking anonymous forums, perhaps.

If anyone has any ideas on how to distribute it (it's a romhack of a different game, for the record) without catching S-E's attention, I'd be interested to hear suggestions.

Thanks!

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: September 12, 2017, 02:29:03 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone is working on a English translation of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter or X-Men vs Street Fighter for the Saturn ?

THIS. As well giving Norimaro's localized ending! Not a literal one, but imagined as if he wew localized.

"Norimaro, after defeating Apocalypse and Cyber Akuma..."

"...became The King of the World."

"His legacy, as 'The Geek King'..."

"...is a nightmare for History Exams."

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4184 on: September 12, 2017, 03:21:23 pm »
If anyone has any ideas on how to distribute it (it's a romhack of a different game, for the record) without catching S-E's attention, I'd be interested to hear suggestions.

Thanks!

If it's just a ROM hack then why not do it here? There are thousands of ROM hacks, why would they care? They only care if something gets mainstream attention and will then affect their bottom line. So few people come here that it won't matter.

If you're that bothered, though, there's always 4chan, everyone's anonymous there... ;)

EDIT: regarding companies closing down projects, I never understand why people making these things don't just use original ideas that aren't trademarked or copyrighted. So you make Metroid 2, but it's not Samus Aran, it's a guy called, I dunno, Alan Shamus. And he's fighting Bloborgs instead of Metroids. See? Ain't nobody gonna cease and desist that shit. 8)

romhackingaccount

• View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:53 pm »
If it's just a ROM hack then why not do it here? There are thousands of ROM hacks, why would they care? They only care if something gets mainstream attention and will then affect their bottom line. So few people come here that it won't matter.

If you're that bothered, though, there's always 4chan, everyone's anonymous there... ;)

EDIT: regarding companies closing down projects, I never understand why people making these things don't just use original ideas that aren't trademarked or copyrighted. So you make Metroid 2, but it's not Samus Aran, it's a guy called, I dunno, Alan Shamus. And he's fighting Bloborgs instead of Metroids. See? Ain't nobody gonna cease and desist that shit. 8)

It's because S-E is notorious for shutting down Chrono Trigger related hacks. At least 2 have gone down, and if Chrono Compendium is to be believed, they send Cease and Desists all the time.

As for your first question--the romhack isn't of a Chrono game. It's a different SE game that I've managed to turn INTO a Chrono game, so it uses SE assets anyways.

Like, if I put it up here, would Romhacking get a cease and desist?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: September 15, 2017, 01:53:24 am »
Has anyone ever played NES' "King's Knights"? It would be nice to give the game a face-lift and add elements to the HUD, like the stats that shows in the MSX version.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4187 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:19 am »
Like, if I put it up here, would Romhacking get a cease and desist?

I'd like to know if that has ever happened, as I don't know.

As I said though, they'll issue cease and desist orders when someone is making something that could impact their bottom line, and uses assets they own the copyright to. So, simple solution, make a game that is LIKE one of theirs, but with different unrelated assets. You know, like FreeDoom.

https://freedoom.github.io/

octorox

• View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: September 15, 2017, 04:19:10 pm »
I would love to see someone reconcile the Earthbound "New Controls" hack by Herringway with MaternalBound+Run by ShadowOne333. Currently the button mapping in the New Controls hack conflicts with the Y run button.

To fix this, and make the controls a little closer to vanilla, one could move the map button back to it's original location on X and move the menu to "Start", making room for the run button on Y.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: September 15, 2017, 05:18:12 pm »
I would love to see someone reconcile the Earthbound "New Controls" hack by Herringway with MaternalBound+Run by ShadowOne333. Currently the button mapping in the New Controls hack conflicts with the Y run button.

To fix this, and make the controls a little closer to vanilla, one could move the map button back to it's original location on X and move the menu to "Start", making room for the run button on Y.
That should be fairly easy to do.
I just need to find the ASM code to the New Controls.
Or perhaps a disassembly of the patch could do it.

It should simply be a matter of remapping the buttons and moving my Run routine.

para

• View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: September 16, 2017, 01:02:40 am »
Has anyone ever played NES' "King's Knights"? It would be nice to give the game a face-lift and add elements to the HUD, like the stats that shows in the MSX version.

Thats a good idea.  I like that game but with some tweaking and a better HUD, it could be a lot better.  As for a face lift, did you mean to change the style or just make some of the ugly graphics better somehow?  The sprites are tiny so there is only so much you can do with some of them, but some palette changes and a graphics overhaul could be interesting.  A lot of the powerup icons are kind of boring but they are self explanatory kind of with their simple design, so again I'm not sure if changing them would for the best, but I would rather get generic potions and scrolls and those types of powerups as opposed to arrows and less imaginative stuff.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: September 16, 2017, 11:36:59 am »
- A text hack of Dragon's Curse for the PCE to swap the cheesier script with that of the original SMS title.

- A hack of Mortal Kombat on the Sega CD that uses the Genesis music instead of the arcade recordings of the CD version. Or keep the arcade songs already there, but patch the ordering (tracks appearing on wrong stages).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:08:54 pm by TRIFORCE89 »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: September 16, 2017, 12:35:37 pm »
A hack of Popful Mail (either Sega CD or PC Engine) where you have Japanese Dub with the English subtitles (I mean the US voices are okay, but I'd like to understand the story while hearing Megumi Hayashibara speaks and also hear the ending song).

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: September 16, 2017, 01:57:10 pm »
Thats a good idea.  I like that game but with some tweaking and a better HUD, it could be a lot better.  As for a face lift, did you mean to change the style or just make some of the ugly graphics better somehow?  The sprites are tiny so there is only so much you can do with some of them, but some palette changes and a graphics overhaul could be interesting.  A lot of the powerup icons are kind of boring but they are self explanatory kind of with their simple design, so again I'm not sure if changing them would for the best, but I would rather get generic potions and scrolls and those types of powerups as opposed to arrows and less imaginative stuff.
It should be possible to improve the visual aspect overall, of course within the NES limitations, but the big sprite of the main characters could see major improvements. And since the game got an official remake, one could redesign based on that.

The powerups really could use a redesign, aside from the obvious one I'm often wondering "what is this" or "what is that"

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: September 17, 2017, 05:35:14 pm »
A visor mod for Metroid (or Super Metroid), like this:

(that's a screenshot from "Cosmic Spacehead")

Or like this, that's from the Duke 3D beta:

To mimic the later Metroid games, such as "Metroid Prime":
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:41:39 pm by maseter »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: September 18, 2017, 04:47:41 am »
Here's an idea that I hope is easy to do on Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier:
Add a hint to when the player can Cancel a Skill into another, mayb by having the character flash white or their shadow.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: September 19, 2017, 01:37:39 pm »
I got some other ideas. This is one of them: Fandubbing the PC Engine game versions of Snatcher and Dragon Half. I mean if the people behind Ys 4 for PC Engine could do it, why can't the same be done for these or the Sailor Moon PC Engine games?

jdavonte916

• View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:05 pm »
hey for smt nocturne how can i change the values for fire/ice/elec/force boost and son's oath

LysergLucario

• View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:56 am »
Good day, I have a question, I know that there are console versions with all the characters, but to play online usually they use arcade versions with GGPO or FIGHTCADE, in the code of Vampire Hunter 2 there are the characters of Vampire Savior so my question is, will there be a way for them to be totally playable to make an online version with the roms of arcade ?, my knowledge of hacking roms is 0% in case someone has interest to make this hack possible.

BTW this is a translate google   :laugh:

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: September 20, 2017, 04:14:40 am »
That is a cool idea, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Donovan, Huitzil, Pyron, Marionette and the Revenger's Roost stage from Vampire Savior 2 appear in the arcade version of Vampire Savior 1.