News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2464059 times)

Sephirous

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4160 on: September 03, 2017, 08:33:48 pm »
I have an idea for a hack, I may try to attempt this one at some point but for now it's an idea.

A Metroid Prequel to Rogue Dawn.

Here is the basic concept that I keep thinking about,

Planet Location - L-2L

Main Character - Rodney Aran

Story - Main character travels through the planet after an explosion happens during a mining session.
Rodney finally realizes that Ridley has targeted the planet and pretty much reigns hell on it.
Rodney fights Ridley but dies in battle along with Virginia Aran.

That's about the gist of the idea.
I don't know if someone is already thinking of this idea or not. But if not, I think this would be awesome!

Metroid Origins or Some cool name like that.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: September 03, 2017, 08:48:45 pm »
Sounds like an interesting idea for another awesome Metroid Nes hack Sephrious :)

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: September 03, 2017, 09:00:57 pm »
In a nutshell, it is a lot like a 3D roguelike verson of SoulBlazer with a dash of Terranigma.
I've been meaning to try those out, liked Actraiser a lot.
Sadly we won't be getting any more Dark Cloud games because Sony is sitting on the license.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: September 03, 2017, 11:52:46 pm »
I like this idea. Shame this game didn't receive a Sega CD release.

Me too. Or the PS1. It would've done well on either one.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4164 on: September 04, 2017, 07:29:41 am »
Knuckles Chaotix
-Removed rubberband mechanic
-Removed roulette level select
-Added enemies and gimmicks

Sonic CD (MCD)
-Sonic 2 style warps for time travel or edited level design to make it easy to travel right away when wanted or avoid it when unwanted. You should at the very least be able to try again at the same post if you fail.
-Less messy level design (remove points of no return and fix "bouncer hell" segments, remove hidden springs moving you in the wrong direction, nerfed wacky workbench floor bounce)
-Regular spindash (already done but that hack also adds the stupid homing attack)
-Make rolling speed and acceleration like in S2 or 3
-Ability to turn into a ball when moving off a ledge or bouncing off of springs
-Faster turning and better hit detection in special stages
-Ability to look up/down
-S3 style level select that lets you know your progress in each act
-Tougher bosses overall
-Less visual clutter and garish colors
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: September 04, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
Sonic CD (MCD)

-Linear stages, removal of past/future poles. the structure would look like this:
 Act 1 - present > act 2 - past > (destroying the Robot Transporter and Metal Sonic hologram) > act 3a - good future/(if not) > act 3b - bad future.
-Random positions of the Robot Transporter and Metal Sonic hologram every time you play.
-Spindash like Sonic 2 and 3 (Sonic CD ++)
-Playable Tails as the 2011 version.
-Japanese tracks ;) (that's easy , only for fun ...)

Others:

Michael Jackson's Mooonwalker for Sega Genesis with Mode 1 Sega CD hack. (Like Rn'R Racing)
T.M.N.Turtles The Arcade Game for Sega Genesis with Hyperstone Heist engine and SNES Turtles IV elements .

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:00:13 pm by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: September 06, 2017, 01:54:48 pm »
This post is more MSU-1 Focused this time:

Dragon Quest I-III (I've mentioned these games before)

Breath of Fire I & II
There has been people on youtube have done almost all of the tracks.

Shin Megami Tensei I-II & Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
There is remixes out there for these tracks, but issue is tracking them down now for some of the remixes.

Super Castlevania IV
I would think this one would be simple to do considering it's a not RPG, and most of the tracks presented have been already remixed.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
The tracks have all been remixed.

OTHER
There is a few Japanese Exclusive Games (which I can't remember right now) also had their soundtracks remixed, but if anyone can remember what those were then I think those games would be good for future MSU-1 Projects.

As a side-note I think it would be practical somebody provided a youtube tutorial for MSU-1 hacking in general because it would be more helpful than just documentation.

MegaManModelT101

• View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:14 pm »
Bushido Blade 2
-A costume change option for the characters who have costumes.

The starting six characters have alternate outfits for the story mode, and an outfit they have for the VS and training and so on. I'd be nice if we could actually be able to use the story mode outfits in the other modes and so on. Simply hitting select on the character select screen should suffice hopefully for switching the costumes.

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: September 06, 2017, 07:17:02 pm »
This post is more MSU-1 Focused this time:

Dragon Quest I-III (I've mentioned these games before)

Breath of Fire I & II
There has been people on youtube have done almost all of the tracks.

Shin Megami Tensei I-II & Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
There is remixes out there for these tracks, but issue is tracking them down now for some of the remixes.

Super Castlevania IV
I would think this one would be simple to do considering it's a not RPG, and most of the tracks presented have been already remixed.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
The tracks have all been remixed.

OTHER
There is a few Japanese Exclusive Games (which I can't remember right now) also had their soundtracks remixed, but if anyone can remember what those were then I think those games would be good for future MSU-1 Projects.

As a side-note I think it would be practical somebody provided a youtube tutorial for MSU-1 hacking in general because it would be more helpful than just documentation.

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 would benefit greatly from this, too bad MSU-1 documentation's a joke.

papermanzero

• View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:24 am »
I would like to work further on Super Metroid: GBA Style.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3211/

The improvements are really great. Especially the idea to change the control to meet the GBA gameplay is really great.
However some aspects I would like to change:
1. Changing the year and title screen back to the original (1994)
2. Creating a Subtitle at the bottom of the title screen (https://imgur.com/a/r8uot)- Advance Edition
3. Changing the Options Title to the original menu
4. Updating the map with the tiles from Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission. Means the map is like Fusion/ZM (doors).
5. Delete the code for the Charge Beam: Currently the Charge beam draws energy and ammo drops from enemies toward you. However this was not possible in the GBA games.
6. Changing the outro to the original (removing the graphics at the end, and adding a line in the staff with credits to the hackers.)

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:21 am »
Another I wouldn't mind a hack of: the Mickey Mania SNES where you have the MSU-1 capacity like the PSX and Sega CD versions, plus the bonus levels that were exclusive.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: September 08, 2017, 05:19:36 pm »
would it be possible to make numbers in the SNES game Tyrants: Fight Through Time aka Mega-lo-Mania go past 255? normally if you increase a resource or population past 255 the game loops the number back to 0. could this be changed to go up to 9999 instead? since i'm fairly certain the actual value can go...into the thousands or higher if you're cheating and increasing your population really high before starting an island.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: September 10, 2017, 02:16:29 am »
I have two more suggestions for hacks:

• EarthBound MSU-1 hack
  • A hack of Wolfenstein 3D which restores all of the music into the game

Wolfy 3D is well known for having no background music in the GBA port.
However, it seems almost all of the songs ARE in the ROM, just not properly coded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ln6L6Om9v0

Also, apparently one guy in Youtube got music working while playing the ROM through VBA, but how he did that is not explained:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8G01WEUeUI

I really wish Wolfensted 3D GBA would have all of the music restored, as there is currently no other easy way to play that game in consoles in its full glory before the 2000s, and the GBA version seems to be the most faithful of all the ports made in that era (nit to call it the only good one inspite of the lack of BGM)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: September 10, 2017, 05:36:33 am »
Me and rainponcho tried to restore the music, but he had a hard time figuring out on how to restore it because what he told me is that the code is really messy.

I am curious on how this person on YouTube was able to restore them, you should try contacting him and ask on how did he do it.

I also would like to see someone hack this game to turn it into a GBA port of Spear of Destiny as well.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: September 10, 2017, 11:12:01 am »
Me and rainponcho tried to restore the music, but he had a hard time figuring out on how to restore it because what he told me is that the code is really messy.

I am curious on how this person on YouTube was able to restore them, you should try contacting him and ask on how did he do it.

I also would like to see someone hack this game to turn it into a GBA port of Spear of Destiny as well.
Oh you guys already gave that a try?
That's interesting for sure. Hopefully this could be done down the road. Sad that the port is a coding mess.

I left the guy a comment in the video asking him how he got the music to play, but that was yesterday, hopefully he'll answer soon.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4175 on: September 10, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »
If so much music was put in the game, but the game was left silent, there has to be a reason. Only two make sense: either they ran out of time and couldn't get it working before deadline day, or they did it but thought it didn't sound very good, so cut it out. If it's the former, I can imagine it being a challenge to implement.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: September 10, 2017, 12:15:18 pm »
If so much music was put in the game, but the game was left silent, there has to be a reason. Only two make sense: either they ran out of time and couldn't get it working before deadline day, or they did it but thought it didn't sound very good, so cut it out. If it's the former, I can imagine it being a challenge to implement.
Most likely deadline got ahead of them.
One of the videos I posted is the actual OST for the GBA port, and it doesn't sound bad at all tbh.

Here's the list of the songs in the game's data, as well as rips of said tracks:
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Wolfenstein_3D_(GBA)

And here's the video with the whole GBA OST of the port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ln6L6Om9v0
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:26:31 pm by ShadowOne333 »

hsb0083

• View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:51 pm »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone is working on a English translation of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter or X-Men vs Street Fighter for the Saturn ?

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: September 12, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
I'm surprised nobody hacked HUNTER X HUNTER into a Castlevania game yet, or at least translated it!
A Castlevania clone for the GBC by Konami released in Japan only, has a proper whip and everything:

Full review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgmRnLdJCYw
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:27:28 pm by maseter »

SpRoUt

• View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: September 12, 2017, 01:02:40 pm »
Donkey kong country 2 COOP....as in both can play at the same time. Also make more enemys in each lvl to make it harder. possible more secret levels?