News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3198383 times)

Da_Hero-_

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4120 on: August 20, 2017, 01:47:18 am »
I wanted to make a hack where I can add in more characters in to 1v1 in the game and possibly add in transformation etc. But I don't know how and where to statt

ClarkThe2nd

• View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: August 20, 2017, 05:01:06 pm »
Hello, I would like to start my own FF3 (NES) mod or hack, and I have absolutely no idea how to start going about it. I don't even know where to start, or if there are any tools at all that could help me accomplish such a task. If possible I would like to use the ideas that were put into the DS version as a base, such as Scholar being able to use low level Black&White magics. If anyone has any tips or general info on where to start and what to learn, or use to help me in this pipe dream it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: August 20, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Remember how Chrono Trigger had "Poi?"  Golden Sun 2 does something similar, though you do not drink it: https://goldensunwiki.net/wiki/Dragonsbane

This is a bit small for a patch (too small for me anyway) and making the dragon drunk=poisoning it is pretty smart, however original intent is very much in tune with the theme of Izumo itself.  The GS series as a whole has only this censored outright I believe (though other textual issues do exist, some harder to fix than others).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:04:14 pm by Chronosplit »

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: August 20, 2017, 10:42:05 pm »
Hey, I just discovered something about the SNES version of Bart's Nightmare (haven't verified with the Genesis version). First, I need to explain something. In Bart's Nightmare, your score is tied to the grade Bart gets upon getting a Game Over or completing the game. The following scores are needed to qualify for their respective grades:
  • Under 8000 - F
  • 8000-20999 - D-
  • 21000-35999 - D
  • 36000-44999 - D+
  • 45000-54999 - C-
  • 55000-67999 - C
  • 68000-76999 - C+
  • 77000-86999 - B-
  • 87000-98999 - B
  • 99000-108999 - B+
  • 109000-118999 - A-
  • 119000-124999 - A
  • 125000 or more - A+
Of course, there's an extra qualification for the top three grades in which you need to actually clear the game.

Now, on to the point of this request. When you receive your grade upon getting a game over, Bart says something different depending on the grade you get. If you get a F through D+, he says, "Uh oh." If you get a C- through a B+, he says, "Oh yeah!" In the game's ending, however, Bart always exclaims, "Cowabunga!" regardless of the grade you get. I'd like a patch where he says the phrase appropriate to their respective grades at the end of the game, saving "Cowabunga!" for the A grades.

Also, in the final scene where the Simpsons have Bart's grade on the fridge, Homer is clearly seen saying "D'oh!" when if you get a D+ or lower, and Maggie is sucking on her pacifier as usual, but you hear no sound. Sound samples of Homer saying "D'oh!" and Maggie's pacifier are in the game, however, and I'd like to see a patch that makes use of them in this screen.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:53 am »
A Shinobi 3 level redesign hack would be nice, although the game is actually fine up until round 5 and only takes a dive in 6 and 7 which are ridiculously brutal and full of instant kills.

Da_Hero-_

• View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: August 21, 2017, 11:35:10 am »
I feel like the game doesnt have enough to it and i wanted to add to it but cant bc i don't know where to start to this game (what i want to do is add in more characters if possible and make my own levels which i know is possible) I recently came across an old sonic hack for the game which made me wanna do this. Any idea on how to do this?

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: August 21, 2017, 12:21:11 pm »
I wouldn't mind a Gamegear/SMS hack of the 4 Sonic games to feature Amy & Cream. Although I imagine that's gonna be a bit of hard work to recreate their sprites to fit them in the game. Or at least have Tails playable in the Gamegear/SMS Sonic 2 version

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: August 21, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »
The Rockman 4 title screen uses sprites to patch those areas. Unsurprisingly, the sprite tiles and the associated palettes still exist in all versions titled Mega Man 4, but are unused.

They are highlighted in green in the following image:

Then, it could be possible to fix it. That makes me think that the "3" assiocaited with MM3 shares colors with the Sprite that was removed overseas?

madscijr

• View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:37 am »
Two things annoy me about the Atari vector arcade games Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel (inside MAME):

1. the thrust sound in Space Duel is high-pitched and lame; I would like the thrust sound to be like the original Asteroids

2. the green colors in Asteroids Deluxe; I would like the super-bright vector display colors of the original Asteroids (or at least the color to be white/gray like the original)

Does anyone have the knowhow to make these changes to the ROM files?  I think this would improve those games.

Spoiler:
mod note: your thread was merged into this one mostly b/c it doesn't look like you've done any technical work towards these goals. If you try to do these edits and get stuck, that's when it would warrant its own thread.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:34:23 am by MathOnNapkins »

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:29 pm »
Psyklax: Did you see, someone (nensondubois) just released an "Unused Sounds" patch for X:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3633/

Be sure to include that in your upcoming translation! :)

Once you are done, i know someone to dub this X commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSF1Ui_6tJA

Imagine a "Finally in English, translated by Psyklax, only on Romhacking.net" voice over!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: August 22, 2017, 05:19:10 pm »
Two things annoy me about the Atari vector arcade games Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel (inside MAME):

1. the thrust sound in Space Duel is high-pitched and lame; I would like the thrust sound to be like the original Asteroids

2. the green colors in Asteroids Deluxe; I would like the super-bright vector display colors of the original Asteroids (or at least the color to be white/gray like the original)

Does anyone have the knowhow to make these changes to the ROM files?  I think this would improve those games.

Spoiler:
mod note: your thread was merged into this one mostly b/c it doesn't look like you've done any technical work towards these goals. If you try to do these edits and get stuck, that's when it would warrant its own thread.

Thanks

I don't know anything about editing arcade games but Asteroids Deluxe in Neon Blue is pretty sweet,the cabinet over here that I play on also has a mirror trick it uses to simulate the game floating over a background panel, not sure if that could be emulated in MAME though :P.

Krustentier7

• View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: August 22, 2017, 07:55:34 pm »
I've had this idea for an SMT IV Rom Hack for a while now and posted about it on gbatemp (https://gbatemp.net/threads/ideas-for-a-shin-megami-tensei-iv-rom-hack.479153/#post-74793749, but sadly didn't receive any responses. I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd share my ideas here for funsies - original post below:

I love Shin Megami Tensei IV, much more so than its direct follow-up Apocalypse; it's undeniable though that a lot of the smaller niggles in the original game were fixed with the sequel. In my mind a lot of these problems should be easily fixable via hacking, but since I have next to no knowledge in that field, I thought I should at least put this idea out there. I don't want to come off as entitled and like I expect people to take up this task now, I just thought it's an idea worth proposing and that talking about it might generate interest.

Ideas for fixes:

Portraits:

SMT IV was heavily criticized for its reliance on guest artists for a number of its demon designs. The designs themselves weren't terrible, but the style in which a lot of them were drawn made them look like pencil sketches. As a response to this backlash, Masayuki Doi, the game's main character designer, decided to redraw these designs in his own style, making for a much more cohesive experience. Out of all of the fixes I have in mind, this would probably be the simplest one to pull off; I imagine you'd only have to do replace the image files for the portraits in question with their respective counterparts in Apocalypse (every demon also has only one portrait each, unlike the human characters who have different images for different facial expressions.)

Examples:

Medusa

Spoiler:

Merkabah
Spoiler:

Lucifer: The Apocalypse drawing is an improvement, but I'm not really big on this sh*t-eating grin they gave him. Lucifer never struck me as a generic evil guy, so this could use an edit.
Spoiler:

Potential Challenges: Unfortunately, not all of the demons drawn by guest artists reappear in Apocalypse, meaning they had no chance to be redrawn by Doi. The demons in question include the four Archangels and some of the one-off boss encounters. A lot of the latter ones don't actually clash with Doi's style very much, I honestly think designs like Kouga Saburo and Minotaur are legitimately great. For the Archangels it'd be very much possible to just use Kaneko's classic original designs instead, though I'm not really a fan of that idea since they look nothing like Merkabah and I don't think they really fit what SMT IV was going for; their somewhat grotesque appearance (despite a lot of elements that are normally considered aesthetically appealing) was kind of the point.

For what it's worth though, we can replace basically all of SMT IV'S most prominent demons with their Apocalypse counterparts, and that would already be a huge improvement in my book.

Interface/QOL tweaks, etc.:

Atlus games have been known for their great UIs as of late, but SMT IV had a few baffling oversights. There's no way to change the order of your skills (neither for Flynn or any of his demons), which was really aggravating to me and mercifully fixed in Apocalypse. Another strange omission was the manual fusion feature from past SMT games - you could only do a search and then select from the available potential fusion results. This wasn't really a critical feature, but removing it is really only a downgrade, which is why that was also brought back with the sequel.

One of my biggest gripes with Apocalypse is how exploration was neutered; I know a lot of people found SMT IV's world map to be confusing to navigate, but this was "fixed" way too much in the sequel with how it never stops holding your hand and explicitly showing you where to go and putting bridges everywhere so you don't get lost. Getting lost isn't a bad thing in my opinion, and I wouldn't want to ruin this aspect of SMT IV by adding objective markers and such. That said, I don't think I'd be against at least showing location names on the bottom screen map like in Apocalypse once you've actually been to that location for the first time.

Another thing that falls in the same category for me is having to unlock hard mode by beating the game once, whereas it's available from the start in Apocalypse. I've played through the eShop version a couple times now, but if I want to start a fresh save on Master Mode I'd have to wipe my original file. I own a physical copy that I could play instead, but on that one I don't have Master Mode unlocked. It's a huge annoyance for experienced players and very much worth fixing in my opinion.

In that same vein, another great feature would be an increase in save slots. SMT IV has only two (both the eShop and physical versions), whereas this number was bumped up to five with Apocalypse (one on the cart, four on the SD card.) I don't really know if this is possible via hacking, but it'd be worth investigating.

There might be other things worth fixing along those lines, but these are the most significant problems I can think of off the top of my head.

Game balance and battle system changes:

This is something I'm personally not too fussed about, but I know it's a huge deal to a lot of people. Pure magic builds have the potential to absolutely destroy this game, and while I kind of enjoy SMT IV's ridiculous and unpredictable difficulty curve myself, I can absolutely see how one would want to take another look at some of the numbers and stats in this game and tweak them slightly. Just like the art this is something that would have to be discussed in more detail if we can actually get a project like this off the ground, right now it's hard for me to say what would need changing and what would be better left alone.

I have to say that I'm not really fond of how Smirks were nerfed in Apocalypse, they were so insanely broken that they made the game a lot more unpredictable and exciting in my opinion. I do like the idea of giving certain skills bonus properties depending on whether or not Smirk is active, and this is yet another thing that could be folded back into SMT IV. While I did kind of miss how Hama and Mudo worked originally, I found myself using them much more often in the sequel, and it was very satisfying.

The most important universal game balance change I would like to see in SMT IV are skill affinities though. It was very easy for demons to become mere palette swaps of each other with how open and free-form the fusion system was, and Apocalypse wisely made it so that a skill's effectiveness varies dramatically from demon to demon; a Jack Frost wielding Agidyne like it's nothing was a thing of the past now, and it encouraged much more careful consideration of your demons' stats and available skills. Putting this system into SMT IV would improve the game massively in my opinion.

This is basically everything I would like to see changed in a potential SMT IV ROM Hack, though I'm sure I there's stuff I forgot about. I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help out in case there really are people with hacking skills interested in this idea, and of course I want to encourage even more suggestions and potential changes. Either way I'm happy I at least tried and got to put these ideas out there.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: August 23, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »
Working with UMK3, makes me think of the next step.

Restore/Rearrange the order of the BGMs on Mortal Kombat Trilogy. All ports, including PC.

None of them has The Street BGM on The Courtyard, or The Wasteland, being the BGM a Remix of these two.

The U/MK3 BGMs are misplaced of their Arcade Version. And in the wrong tempo. Only the Saturn version has the right one.

Same with MKII Stages. The Portal has WDLYMA BGM? ...the Hell!?

The N64 version has no MKII tunes, so... I open to ideas on those stages.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #4133 on: August 23, 2017, 06:38:55 pm »
I read that Ninja Gaiden for Genesis was leaked, but there was no official release. The leak itself is pretty buggy. If someone would fix those bugs that would be awesome. There's also some unused graphics like a buff red demon, that could potentially be used for a boss fight.

"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: August 23, 2017, 08:39:57 pm »
Kid Chameleon : Easely obtain all masks :

Press start and else A to select a proper mask , no more worrying about looking for and breaking boxes, just move on ...
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

Ganbare-Lucifer

• Modern Mystical Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:54 am »
A Legend of the Mystical Ninja hack that changes the infamous 'Kid Ying' and 'Dr. Yang' Western names, and reverts them back to 'Goemon' and 'Ebisumaru'.

Edit: And a Contra Force hack that replaces Burns, Smith, Beans and Iron to Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, yes... Metal Slug.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:05:34 pm by Ganbare-Lucifer »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:35 pm »
Here's a ROM Hack. Maybe a Mario hack where you play as Sailor Moon to defeat the evil Queen Beryl to rescue Tuxedo Mask and the Senshi? Thought I'd suggest

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: August 25, 2017, 12:02:01 am »
I was thinking about a Relocalization of Puyo Puyo on Genesis with music updated to use different instruments and actual drum samples from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine instead of the original Japanese version which uses the noise-based percussion.

Source of Unused Stuff for Puyo Puyo Relocalization: https://tcrf.net/Dr._Robotnik%27s_Mean_Bean_Machine_(Genesis) and look at sound test.

Puyo Puyo title screen from the Arcade Version would be reused for the Relocalization hack of Puyo Puyo for the Sega Genesis and the voices from the Arcade version will fit into the Sega Genesis.

If so, don't forget to add David Javelosa if you are using instruments from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine into Puyo Puyo for the Sega Genesis.

I've never seen anybody do a romhack of Puyo Puyo on the Sega Genesis so it would be great to see a Puyo Puyo Relocalization hack.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: August 25, 2017, 02:36:38 pm »
Was the arcade localization of Puyo-Puyo official or a bootleg? I read it was the latter.

Though I think Puyo-Puyo 2 arcade was released on 3DS (as one of Sega's 3D Classics releases). Was that a localization? I haven't checked it out yet.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: August 25, 2017, 04:01:00 pm »
A Legend of the Mystical Ninja hack that changes the infamous 'Kid Ying' and 'Dr. Yang' Western names, and reverts them back to 'Goemon' and 'Ebisumaru'.

Edit: And a Contra Force hack that replaces Burns, Smith, Beans and Iron to Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio, yes... Metal Slug.

THIS. I want Goemon and Metal Slug for the NES. They can do that like the Air Contra hack but using the sprite sheets from the Neo Geo Pocket Color, although edited to resemble the Main Characters of Metal Slug.