News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2763500 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4020 on: July 19, 2017, 08:19:24 pm »
It would probably not be an easy hack either way, whether to transfer the Castlevania III changes into Akumajou Densetsu, or to import Akumajou Densetsu songs into Castlevania III (which would also require hacking the mapper as the VRC6 does both the music and the mapper).
I know the MMC5 used in CV3 is something of an enhancement chip (though probably not to an extent most casual players would notice, it's not like the SuperFX) but I'm not sure to what extent its enhanced capabilities are used by CV3. So that is something that could also require modification, whatever it is.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: July 20, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »
This idea came to my head since re-watching Hyrule Warriors: Linkle as a playable in the old LOZ games. Of course, someone would probably have to recreate Linkle from Hyrule Warriors in sprite form from scratch to make it work. It'd be somewhat like the Roll-Chan games, at least to me. Speaking of which, someone should probably make a Roll-Chan 7 for the SNES, if possible. I love the games that I played as Roll.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: July 20, 2017, 06:16:32 pm »
VRC6 vs MMC5 audio detailed here:
https://classicalgaming.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/fidelity-concerns-akumajou-dentetsu-vs-castlevania-iii-draculas-curse/

Doesn't sound so easy to convert with instrument problems.

With some fun trivia tidbits about DuckTales, SMS FM and else high fidelity (like Dr. Mario soundtrack conversion). Mega Man 3 soundtrack history.
https://classicalgaming.wordpress.com/category/fidelity-concerns/
https://classicalgaming.wordpress.com/category/sunday-game-soundtrack/

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: July 21, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, but I feel like Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete would be the perfect version of the game with the original Sega CD soundtrack replacing the PSX soundtrack.  I had only played the PSX versions of Lunar (I still have their glorious packages somewhere), so I didn't realize how great the soundtracks for the original games were.

That said, there are a few soundtracks in Silver Star Harmony that I think are better than any of their other Lunar 1 counterparts.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #4024 on: July 22, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »
Alright, my interests have shifted.  Instead of a Castlevania III ROM hack, I've found something far more simple to do.

I want to prevent all the music in Mega Man (World) II on the Game Boy from playing, but leave the sound effects active and functional.  This isn't for a hack or even sound effect ripping.  I actually just want to mute the soundtrack so I can make a playthrough where I overlay a completely different soundtrack over the semi-silent game.  Silly idea, I know.  But, it passes the time.

In any case, I've found that the music is stored at $1CCC0 to - $1F442 (with three trailing $00 bytes, for some reason) and that tinkering with the first byte -- $F0 -- will make the game play the New Weapon tune all throughout the game non-stop.  Messing with the first three bytes will also silence the game music, but the sound engine will eventually deteriorate and cause the sound effects to stop working properly.  That being said, I have no idea where to go from here.

If anyone wants to tinker with it, I'd be very appreciative.  Otherwise, don't sweat it.  I'm just goofing around, after all.

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: July 23, 2017, 05:03:46 am »
Project idea, uncensored English Iron Tank!

Censored US release, as "Iron Tank":

Uncensored JP release, as "Great Tank":

Pics are from https://tcrf.net/Iron_Tank

One would have to transfer English text to the Japanese version, or the uncensored graphics from the Japanese back to the US release.

Psyklax said in another thread:

"Putting the Japanese graphics into the US version would definitely be much easier. Ten minutes pasting back in the graphics, then adjusting the palettes, which could take longer, but is still quite trivial. Of course it's not as "pure" as properly translating the Japanese version perhaps, but if the graphics matter to someone then it'd make a nice hack i suppose."

It would make a nice hack indeed, hence my suggestion! Anyone? :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4026 on: July 23, 2017, 07:07:24 am »
Project idea, uncensored English Iron Tank!

I analysed the US and Japanese ROMs and although it's clear where the swastikas are located, it's also weird the amount of little graphical changes the devs made when taking it to the States: in some cases tiles have just one pixel different. Quite why they felt it necessary to go to such minuscule detail I don't know, but it's probably easier to ignore those tiles and just replace the ones with swastikas (as far as I can tell from my limited knowledge of the game, that's the only thing that was removed, as well as the palette for that level being blue instead of red).

I could probably bash it out in an hour or so, though to be honest I'm not sure it's really worth hacking. :D The problem is the palette, because you have to find it in the ROM somewhere and change it back. Hopefully it's just the background that has palette/graphics changes, because sprites would add a level of complexity.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:29 am »
You can use the FECUX emulator to find the palettes, it has a tool that locates the palettes of a game when they're on the screen.

There's also passwords to get to the last couple levels on GameFAQs as well.

I found a cross graphic they took out of the American version when I was checking out both versions.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:33:48 am by SCD »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4028 on: July 23, 2017, 08:42:35 am »
Okay guys, I've done it. :D

Iron Tank - Re-Nazified is finished. It took me about an hour or so, but I inserted all the graphics from the Japanese game (Great Tank), with some obvious exceptions. Then I watched longplays of both US and Japanese versions side by side (at 4x speed of course) to see where exactly I need to find the palette changes. I could only see two instances: flags about half way through the game, and the final fortress. So with FCEUX (and thanks to making an invincibility cheat) I flew through the game and found those parts, identified the colours, replaced them in the ROM, and there you go. I could have missed something, but I doubt it. :)

I haven't submitted it to RHDN's database yet, but I probably will tonight when I've got time. For now, here's the link to my site:
http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/irontank.zip

Have fun! ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:38:12 pm by Psyklax »

IntiPogo

• View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: July 23, 2017, 10:10:10 am »
I'm sure this has been suggested -- probably numerous times -- but, how about a hack of Castlevania III that adds the Akumajou Densetsu VRC6 soundtrack in while leaving the game itself intact?

"Why would you want that?" you might ask.  Well, the international release of the game is actually considerably harder, as was the case with many US NES games during this time.  Damage dealt to the player increases every 3 levels, some bosses and enemies have harder or different patterns, and most impressively, loop 1 (the "second quest") of the game adds unique enemies, such as the Armored Spear Guard and Medusa Skulls, which are far more irritating to deal with.  There's also "name codes" for loop 1, starting with the helpers, and of course, the "Help Me" 10-lives code.

Now, the ultimate version of the game would be this idea, but with the inclusion of the harder Phantom Bat, Orphic Vipers (Water Dragons), and Dracula 1 and 2, plus the Dracula 2 collision fix (Alucard can't kill Dracula 2 in the US/EU version because his skulls block shots) as well as the opening coffins from the Royal Mummy/Cyclops/Pazuzu (Lesser Demon) bosses and uncensored graphics (crosses, half-dressed statues, Medusa) from the Japanese version, but I'm willing to settle for just the US version with the Japanese soundtrack as I figure that would be considerably easier to do.  But, that's just me.

Also, since I saw it:I thought someone already did that but I'm not certain.
They did!  And, boy, is it a lot of fun!  Hee hee.

Oh nice! Thanks!

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: July 23, 2017, 01:07:42 pm »
I wouldn't mind a Rosalina or Yoshi in Donkey Kong game. Or Roll in Megaman & Bass hack.

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: July 23, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »
Okay guys, I've done it. :D

Have fun! ;)

First Knight Rider Special now this, I'm speechless, thanks!

July 23, 2017, 01:19:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I wouldn't mind a Rosalina or Yoshi in Donkey Kong game. Or Roll in Megaman & Bass hack.

Is Pauline not good enough for you? :)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1225/

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4032 on: July 23, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »

Check out my thread, I've done a lot more stuff since Knight Rider! ;)

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: July 23, 2017, 04:39:21 pm »
Here is a basic hack

Nes - S.C.A.T.: Cyber Attack Special Team

Hack applied - change the sprites of the players by the space fighter R-9 :thumbsup:

Has a very good base for a r-type hack :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:47:04 pm by cartridge_rom »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: July 23, 2017, 07:37:42 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, Arc the Lad - The End of Darkness had exclusive Characters you could only get online correct? I'm assuming maybe these assets are already on the disc, and I'm wondering if it's possible to modify the data some way to where Online Characters can be accessible Offline?

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: July 24, 2017, 04:43:23 am »
I want to see a hack for Crash Team Racing that will add the fixes they did to Penta Penguin and the default high scores along with the hub world names from the European version to the American version.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:56 am »
A valid request, and probably quite doable (I recall seeing something about racing as the end boss and it mentioning memory issues) but these things can go a bit quicker if there is a reason why someone would want to use the NTSC version.

"fixes" going by http://crashbandicoot.wikia.com/wiki/Penta_Penguin and http://crashbandicoot.wikia.com/wiki/Crash_Team_Racing seems to amount to a stat tweak, and the others are probably some kind of basic table/level editing or text editing.

As I see it almost everybody that would be in a position to play it would not be region locked.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: July 24, 2017, 11:52:55 am »
Something that's been on my mind for awhile is whether or not Vampire Chronicle for Dreamcast could have new characters and levels added to the roster, I don't know what kind of protections it might use, but I think it probably won't be a problem since the version I have has already had the netcode gutted with no issues, I'd probably wanna start with messing with palettes and work my way up from there.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: July 24, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »

July 23, 2017, 01:19:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Is Pauline not good enough for you? :)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1225/

It's not that. I mean Pauline and Luigi playables are fine, but I wouldn't mind seeing how Peach, Rosalina, or Yoshi would be if they were in the Donkey Kong game.

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: July 25, 2017, 10:49:52 am »
Someone would be so friendly and would Castlevania: Dracula X/ Akumajou Dracula XX  for snes de-censor ?

I love this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5Y4u-WK6s

A lot of censor : https://tcrf.net/Castlevania:_Dracula_X