News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2854569 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #4000 on: July 09, 2017, 07:49:09 pm »
No, I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't made a jab at you at all, I was just posting my idea for Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. That's all.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:18:38 am by SCD »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:52 am »
A number of things (since I haven't posted over the last few games I've played):

Phantasy Star Portable 2: Dear god someone please hack the story---just make it a retread of Universe even and I'll be incredibly grateful!  No need to even change the characters!

Tengai Makyou Zero:
  When Tom's translation is officially done (and it'll be worth waiting for, trust me), this game needs a difficulty hack.  There are a lot of item access issues that break the difficulty from roughly the halfway point on, and magic generally needs to be rebalanced in the worst possible way.  Seriously, the scrolls/hermits are implemented in a great way, but usefulness and access issues are absurd (I shouldn't be getting scrolls that are mostly useless near the end of the game---and preferably no useless scrolls at all!).  Most of the fights are well-balanced, but I think there could be a lot more utility in spreading status effects more evenly throughout the bestiary.  Item casting is also really OP and IMO should be rebalanced.

Phantasy Star 4:  Some kind of rebalance that not only takes into account the leveling, but also tech/magic access as well as enemy hitting power.  The hack I reviewed recently does fine on the first count, but is very sorely lacking on the later 2 (very frustrating to watch your entire party get 1HKO on a simple enemy ambush).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: July 11, 2017, 02:06:33 pm »
Well there is a remake of Mario & Luigi coming soon, I think. I wonder how that will compare?
The way the marketing's talking it sounds like a port of the original with better lighting.  Most likely the Japan version would be the base.  New mode looks like it's going to be fun, but I wonder if Mario Bros. will stay?

Reminds me a bit of the MMBN version that had a Star Force crossover.

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #4003 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:36 pm »
Here's some ideas for a game that needs to be hacked very badly...

Tales of Phantasia (GBA)

• Sound

- Music restoration. Much needed.
- Replace voice samples with the ones from the Japanese version.
- Optional: Restore Sound Test mode + keep both the Japanese and international opening themes.
- Debatable: Separate patches for Dhaos' original VA and the current one.

• Graphics

- Color restoration. Much needed.
- Optional: Replace font with something more readable, or add a black outline. This is especially annoying when no text box is present (such as battle spell/skill names).
- Optional: For some reason the "Type A" in-battle text box has a thicker border and looks more plain. The one used in the field is much better, I don't know why they changed it.

• Retranslation

- I know that a full retranslation is a lot to ask, but at least change the names of characters/items/artes/concepts/etc, according to other games in the series (ex: "Derris Karran" => "Derris-Kharlan").
- Optional: Restore character naming screen + increase naming length (6 characters in Jap version).
- Optional: Add subtitles to opening battle (currently only present when language is set to other than English) and battle result speeches.
- Debatable: Include character names in the opening battle. They're supposed to be renowned heroes, why would their names be unknown? At the very least, replace their "???" with something more consistent to their actual names, as it is in the Japanese version (Edward, Alan, Winona, Carol).

• Misc

- Restore opening credits (cast only)
- Add "instant" text speed option
- Add Manual mode by default
- Turn Sorcerer's Ring into a Key Item or similar non-equippable

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: July 11, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »
I agree to that, and also remove the damn timer that sets the 'lag' when you attack an enemy. That would SERIOUSLY help the battles out. The SNES version had something similar and dropping that sped things up ridiculously.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: July 11, 2017, 07:07:15 pm »
- Debatable: Include character names in the opening battle. They're supposed to be renowned heroes, why would their names be unknown? At the very least, replace their "???" with something more consistent to their actual names,
They probably are omitted to avoid spoilers. I assume they want you to figure out who they are later.

Also, are you talking about the US, EU version or both?
Some of that stuff you mention is EU-specific. As I recall, the US version (English only) does not print skill names at all, and that was an addition solely for the EU (multi-language) version.
I don't think the US font is that bad but I've only briefly seen the EU font (which I'm sure was made smaller for the accents in the non-English languages).

I assume the removal of the name screen was because of Chester. I do remember in the SFC version, DeJap mentioned they could only expand Chester's name for the default name, and you would be limited to 6 characters if you changed it. Not sure if the GBA version is similarly affected. If so, that's the sort of thing a fan translation would let slide but not a professional translation.
(although I say that as I remember the original Dragon Warrior Monsters used a squishy-tile default name :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #4006 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:54 pm »
They probably are omitted to avoid spoilers. I assume they want you to figure out who they are later.

Thing is, I don't think they're mentioned by name anywhere on the game except for Edward (only in drama CDs and other media). The original script for the SFC game had these characters playable, but they had to cut this part entirely. During the course of the game, this "timeline" gets overridden by the actions of Cless and co., so I pointed that out because there's no real spoilers there, unless you put in their last names (side note: Edward already has his last name spoiled at the very beginning of the game). Besides, many people confuse them with Trinicus, Miguel, Maria and Meryl.

Also, are you talking about the US, EU version or both?
Some of that stuff you mention is EU-specific. As I recall, the US version (English only) does not print skill names at all, and that was an addition solely for the EU (multi-language) version.
I don't think the US font is that bad but I've only briefly seen the EU font (which I'm sure was made smaller for the accents in the non-English languages).

Yes, I was referring mainly to the European version because of everything you mentioned, but there's also more space in the ROM to work with :P
Regarding the font, I'm using the patch available on this site, but it still suffers from what I mentioned earlier.

I assume the removal of the name screen was because of Chester. I do remember in the SFC version, DeJap mentioned they could only expand Chester's name for the default name, and you would be limited to 6 characters if you changed it. Not sure if the GBA version is similarly affected. If so, that's the sort of thing a fan translation would let slide but not a professional translation.

I'm aware of that, and I think that's a good compromise for a fan work. But as I said, the naming screen is not all that needed, so I can live without it.

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: July 12, 2017, 01:00:44 am »
Random idea that I had tonight:
A hack of Castlevania 1 on the NES to make it play like the MSX version, where the stages are more open & maze-like, you need keys to unlock doors to progress, and there are a lot of different items that function differently than in the NES game.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: July 12, 2017, 11:32:19 pm »
You know what would be interesting? If they fandub some of the Japanese Sega Saturn games, like the Slayers Royal games.

gaiamegu64

• View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:59 pm »
I do not know how to work an rom editing program. I do not know how it works at all. But I do like the concept so I decided to make mockups, a lot of them over the years actually and mostly all on Mega Man due to their simplicity, and using Mega Man games that no one did or rarely did.so with that said, here are the x2 ones.

The Intro Stage

Bubble Crab

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:15:47 pm by gaiamegu64 »

ccateni

• View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: July 14, 2017, 08:40:22 pm »
What about a hack of new 3d golf simulator devil's course (also known as wicked 18) on the Super Famicom, it should be hard, just change the text to be like the U.S. version of the game.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #4011 on: July 14, 2017, 10:23:58 pm »
Anyone knows how to hack The Battle of Olympus for the NES?
I've always wanted to hack the game to make it more accessible to novice players or just make it more casually playable. Don't get me wrong I love the game, it's just that some of the items costs quite a bit in the game and grinding for olives take can be time consuming and can take the fun out of the game. Not to mention you lose 1/2 of the olives when you die.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to, or where in the hex to edit, to increase the drop rate of olives in the game?

I'd also like an SRAM option instead of the cumbersome password system.

Speaking of which, anyone here skilled enough to add SRAM saving to games such as The Guardian Legend, River City Ransom, or even Blaster Master? It would be the most helpful for Blaster Master as it is such a long game and doesn't even have a password system!

Cheers! :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: July 15, 2017, 07:37:08 am »
I do not know how to work an rom editing program. I do not know how it works at all. But I do like the concept so I decided to make mockups, a lot of them over the years actually and mostly all on Mega Man due to their simplicity, and using Mega Man games that no one did or rarely did.so with that said, here are the x2 ones.

The Intro Stage

Bubble Crab

These are actually pretty incredible. I love the fact that you went a dual layout kind of setup for both stages, that makes exploration and playing them A LOT more interesting. Even the Ride Armors have some functional use too, so well done on that.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

gaiamegu64

• View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: July 16, 2017, 12:38:42 am »
These are actually pretty incredible. I love the fact that you went a dual layout kind of setup for both stages, that makes exploration and playing them A LOT more interesting. Even the Ride Armors have some functional use too, so well done on that.

Thanks. I just wing a lot of this, especially when I made the Zero and Battle Network Style maps.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: July 17, 2017, 05:27:31 am »
Here's some ideas for a game that needs to be hacked very badly...

Tales of Phantasia (GBA)

Might as well play ps1 version instead(it has five fan translations at this point), gba port is terrible port of it and is mess in every way possible and would take too much effort to fix it. Or play the psp version included in Narikiri Dungeon X which is the definite version anyway(although its untranslated).

IntiPogo

• View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:16 am »
Hey guys,

It always annoyed me that in Zelda ALttP you cound not change directions while running fast with the Pegasus boots. I got around to playing the BS Zelda 3 Version though some years later in which you dont play link but some boy or girl. It was a nice little game in the Zelda 3 World and to my surprise I discovered that you indeed could change the directions while fast running with the Pegasus boots - just like Pegasus might have imagined the to be used!

So my question would be if it is possible at all to put this Feature in ALttP so Link can swoosh though Hyrule in super speed? I think it wold be super nice to have it in! What do you think?

Cheers.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: July 17, 2017, 07:19:04 pm »
Weird idea that popped into my head: Dragonball Z, One Piece, and Sailor Moon in the Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon games.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: July 17, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »
Hey guys,

It always annoyed me that in Zelda ALttP you cound not change directions while running fast with the Pegasus boots. I got around to playing the BS Zelda 3 Version though some years later in which you dont play link but some boy or girl. It was a nice little game in the Zelda 3 World and to my surprise I discovered that you indeed could change the directions while fast running with the Pegasus boots - just like Pegasus might have imagined the to be used!

So my question would be if it is possible at all to put this Feature in ALttP so Link can swoosh though Hyrule in super speed? I think it wold be super nice to have it in! What do you think?

Cheers.

I thought someone already did that but I'm not certain.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

sjdswanlund

• View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:43 pm »
If I could get myself to dedicate the amount of time required to learn everything, as well as the actual dedication of time into making something, I'd probably just want to do some sort of demake like how Final Fantasy 1 was hacked to tell some of the story of VII.  I'd probably want to do the Xenosaga games, downgrading to either the 16-Bits of the SNES and Genesis, or the lower of the NES - not sure which game I would use, however.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #4019 on: July 19, 2017, 05:30:33 pm »
I'm sure this has been suggested -- probably numerous times -- but, how about a hack of Castlevania III that adds the Akumajou Densetsu VRC6 soundtrack in while leaving the game itself intact?

"Why would you want that?" you might ask.  Well, the international release of the game is actually considerably harder, as was the case with many US NES games during this time.  Damage dealt to the player increases every 3 levels, some bosses and enemies have harder or different patterns, and most impressively, loop 1 (the "second quest") of the game adds unique enemies, such as the Armored Spear Guard and Medusa Skulls, which are far more irritating to deal with.  There's also "name codes" for loop 1, starting with the helpers, and of course, the "Help Me" 10-lives code.

Now, the ultimate version of the game would be this idea, but with the inclusion of the harder Phantom Bat, Orphic Vipers (Water Dragons), and Dracula 1 and 2, plus the Dracula 2 collision fix (Alucard can't kill Dracula 2 in the US/EU version because his skulls block shots) as well as the opening coffins from the Royal Mummy/Cyclops/Pazuzu (Lesser Demon) bosses and uncensored graphics (crosses, half-dressed statues, Medusa) from the Japanese version, but I'm willing to settle for just the US version with the Japanese soundtrack as I figure that would be considerably easier to do.  But, that's just me.

Also, since I saw it:
It always annoyed me that in Zelda ALttP you cound not change directions while running fast with the Pegasus boots. […] So my question would be if it is possible at all to put this Feature in ALttP so Link can swoosh though Hyrule in super speed?
I thought someone already did that but I'm not certain.
They did!  And, boy, is it a lot of fun!  Hee hee.