News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 3153585 times)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3960 on: June 27, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »
I got a little knowledge behind the art of ROM-hacking, but I'm still pretty darn new to it.

For quite some time, I've been interested in remaking Mario Is Missing! on the NES and Super NES, although unlike many other attempts at remaking the game, I plan on doing so by keeping the game geography-based, while mixing it with the iconic Mario platforming qualities found in games such as Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

I'm curious as to the most convenient way to get started on pulling off such a game. I was considering along the lines of getting a perhaps more efficient hex editor than Hex Workshop. I'm also wondering if such a feat could be pulled off using certain utilities that already exist online.

For the NES version, I'm seeking a recommended utility for Super Mario Bros. 3 that supports adding sprites/graphics from Mario Is Missing! (NES) and Super Mario World (NES unlicensed) as well as custom sprites/graphics. For the Super NES version, I'm thinking of a utility for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World that supports adding sprites/graphics from Mario Is Missing! (Super NES) and custom sprites/graphics.

For further information on the plot summary, gameplay ideas, and more I have in store for the game, check out this link I posted on SMW Central:
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=89900.

Any help on getting started with this project will be appreciated.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: June 27, 2017, 02:45:28 pm »
For some reason, this was in my head ever since the death of an actor from Space Ghost Coast to Coast, C. Martin "Clay" Croker, the voice behind both Moltar and Zorak: A NES Rom Hack of a Mario game with the Space Ghost cast: Space Ghost as the main character and the Council of Doom with creatures being the obvious villains while Zorak's the main antagonist, but that's just me.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:00 pm »
An idea a basic hack for the game not released ALIENS of Famicom / Nes (better than Alien 3 of Nes)
- change a ripley by a colonial marine
- new improve color correct palette or improve basic graphics
- change intro screen for ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES intro screen :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVe2q4nMnNU

- It can also be applied to this ROM of the Konami 1990 arcade
Replace Ripley for a Marine Colonial Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvvgwFbHr7Q

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:24:37 pm by cartridge_rom »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: June 28, 2017, 12:54:51 pm »
All this hoopla over Stafy has given me a naughty idea: a spoof hack named "Legend of Staffy" that stars a magical wand.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: June 30, 2017, 09:23:00 am »
Here's one idea I think that could work: Adventure Time in Legend of Zelda 2.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: June 30, 2017, 10:04:33 am »
Here's one idea I think that could work: Adventure Time in Legend of Zelda 2.
Sounds Mathematical!
Adventure Time's world has a lot of room for adaption I think, it lends itself very well to video games too.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:19 pm »
Make the Safe fall command of SFA3 more accesible. When knocked down, one must press two or three punches and any direction to perform a safe fall. This is nearly impossible in the GBA version, unless you have three punches already assigned...

The best way to fix it is making the safe fall with one punch button(or depending of the fierce of the hit a la Guilty Gear) and any direction. They changed the grab command(direction+PP or KK) to be more easier (direction+HP or HK) in the GBA but not the safe fall. and the CPU opponent does the safe fall, a lot.

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: June 30, 2017, 01:34:06 pm »
someone restore this nes game Little Nemo The Dream Master?

the clown level 1 and the gorilla in level 2 have no cigar.
Nintendo america remove this for all international games.

Only is the japan version are cigars.  :)

The Cutting Room Floor:

https://tcrf.net/Little_Nemo:_The_Dream_Master

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: June 30, 2017, 02:07:50 pm »
I'll take it a look at that and see if I can decensor it for you, this should be easy to make.

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: June 30, 2017, 02:21:32 pm »
Thank you.

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: June 30, 2017, 02:58:16 pm »
You're welcome. I got great news for you, I got all the sprites to work right and I'll submit the patch later tonight.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:45:32 pm by SCD »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #3971 on: June 30, 2017, 05:08:04 pm »
I'd like to see some sound work done on a couple of Gameboy games if possible,

First of all, Donkey Kong GB, playing it for the first time, amazing game too, but it sounds a little sharp/crunchy even in VBA and becomes ear bleedingly unbearable in Libretro Gambette on 3Ds(Sharper, and clipping in and out), it would be cool to have better, more functional sound and music in this game, maybe identify why the sound is bugging out in the first place.

Secondly I have a similar problem in Quest RPG: Brians Journey, very sharp and crunchy music, It's pretty bad to my ears no matter how it's emulated and I didn't get far because I couldn't stand it.

DK GB at least has Super Gameboy enhancement, can we use that to get better sound?
This is also the only game I've had bug out on Gambette so far.

I'm thinking about trying this myself, but no musical talent+no research done yet.

A bottom line to consider is most GB emulators do not emulate a SNES. That's required for the full suite of Super Gameboy enhancements.
You'll have to check if the music in question uses the SNES sound chip in any way.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:33 pm »
A bottom line to consider is most GB emulators do not emulate a SNES. That's required for the full suite of Super Gameboy enhancements.
You'll have to check if the music in question uses the SNES sound chip in any way.
I did check in bsnes, and it sounds perfectly well running in super gameboy mode, but I think this is just down to maybe better emulation? the only SGB audio enhancements I can find listed for it are changes to the credits theme and a sound clip for Pauline's "HELP!", I'm gonna check some other GB emulators and see how they stack up vs SGB mode.

Okay, back with initial tests, comparing performance with DK GB and Rolans Curse 2.
Higan, default setttings, very bad sound all around.
VBA Generally bad sound with DK, lag spikes in RC2 that had sound dysyncing and then struggling to catch up.
bsnes/SGB, Good sound in DK with occasional lag spikes, Same with RC2.

Result: DK GB is slightly more cpu intensive than standard GB games,
Higan is slightly more cpu intensive than standard emulators,
VBA kinda sucks,
bsnes/SGB is oddly stable,
And my laptop is shitting the bed again, as evidenced by the fact I just had half my screen go missingno  :huh:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:11:30 pm by SleepyFist »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #3973 on: July 01, 2017, 02:09:47 am »
Well yes the bsnes / higan approach takes much more cpu power. You are running an entire SNES simultaneously with a GB.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: July 01, 2017, 07:51:08 am »
Well yeah, but honestly probably gonna just stick with bsnes, since it somehow runs better than VBA,
I did want to get DK on my 3DS but it doesn't play nice with gambette either.

Now I'm wondering if I could hack borders and color palettes onto other GB games, RC2 could use some love.

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #3975 on: July 01, 2017, 12:30:27 pm »
You're welcome. I got great news for you, I got all the sprites to work right and I'll submit the patch later tonight.

Arigatou gozaimashita, my hero !!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Another Game Series, Mega Man Zero 1 - 4 for GBA have a blood censorship. All international versions are censor, only japan have the uncensored (again  ;))

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=3316

The Cutting Room Floor

1: https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero

(Capcom remove The walls in the Disposal Center also contain "robot blood" in the Japanese version.)

2: https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_2

3: https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_3

4: https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_Zero_4

Just a little something. Would be great if someone would do.

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: July 02, 2017, 03:39:55 am »
You're welcome, I'm glad that you're happy that I decensored Little Nemo. I didn't know that they censored that game, until you mentioned it.

I like those ideas as well, I'm still waiting for someone to decensor all four games along with the DS collection.

I also would like to see color hacks for the GBA ports of Final Fight One, Mega Man & Bass, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival to make them all look more like their SNES counterparts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:54:36 am by SCD »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: July 02, 2017, 11:01:38 pm »
Found this in my old paperwork, my notes look like the scrawling of a deranged lunatic btw, especially with Layton puzzles and Rudras mantras mixed together in there. ::)

Megaman R (Megaman X hack)
Alternate timeline, spins off due to an attack/cancelling of test phase referenced during X intro.
Open world Metroidvania (I don't know if this is actually possible with X as a base)
Dystopian/Underground Resistance themes, maybe a Wily victory scenario, ala The Protomen story.
R is more mobile than X by default, but much less armored, maybe have stealth elements or make enemy confrontations more strategic.
Since the testing was interrupted in this AU maybe the player can make moral choices at certain parts to affect story flow.

There was also this little Kirby type game starring a Cat-Faced slime I found scribbled on a pamphlet, not much to it other than it was also stealth based, with the goal being to escape a magic research lab in a weird fantasy world.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: July 03, 2017, 06:37:00 pm »
I got a little knowledge behind the art of ROM-hacking, but I'm still pretty darn new to it.

For quite some time, I've been interested in remaking Mario Is Missing! on the NES and Super NES, although unlike many other attempts at remaking the game, I plan on doing so by keeping the game geography-based, while mixing it with the iconic Mario platforming qualities found in games such as Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

I'm curious as to the most convenient way to get started on pulling off such a game. I was considering along the lines of getting a perhaps more efficient hex editor than Hex Workshop. I'm also wondering if such a feat could be pulled off using certain utilities that already exist online.

For the NES version, I'm seeking a recommended utility for Super Mario Bros. 3 that supports adding sprites/graphics from Mario Is Missing! (NES) and Super Mario World (NES unlicensed) as well as custom sprites/graphics. For the Super NES version, I'm thinking of a utility for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World that supports adding sprites/graphics from Mario Is Missing! (Super NES) and custom sprites/graphics.

For further information on the plot summary, gameplay ideas, and more I have in store for the game, check out this link I posted on SMW Central:
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=89900.

Any help on getting started with this project will be appreciated.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get started on this project? To be blunt, I'm looking for a better hex editor for ROM hacking and a couple of recommended utilities specified in the quoted post above. Or should I start a separate topic for each thing I'm looking for?

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: July 04, 2017, 03:15:17 am »
I would like to see hacks for the original versions of Crash 1, 2 & 3 that would make Coco a fully playable character like they did in the remake versions of all three.