News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2846323 times)

jhorsfield30

• John @ Return learn gaming
    • View Profile
    • Return learn gaming
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3840 on: May 10, 2017, 02:39:19 pm »
Has anyone approached Tenka no Goikenban : Mito Koumon 1 + 2 famicom translation ?
John - Hearts Minds
@Heartsmindsmed
Researcher/writer/designer. Inspiring change through media, games (http://returnlearn.com ), documentaries (HMM) and posters (http://retroreloader.com )to inspire

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: May 10, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
Mod NES Double Dragon 1 to be a two player simultaneous game as it was intended.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: May 10, 2017, 11:41:52 pm »
A hack of SNES Doom that gives it new levels that are designed around more close quarters fighting since the SNES doesn't really have the resolution for things far away.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Ness

• View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: May 11, 2017, 02:33:11 pm »
In Mega Man X4, HP and weapon energy gets refilled half way through each stage when the game loads the next section of the stage.

A hack that saves the values of the HP and weapons energy between those checkpoints would be nice.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: May 11, 2017, 03:58:36 pm »
Chrono Trigger:

Adding extra story by re adding the bosses & enemies that didn't make the cut, and fixing the issues associated with them.

Link to the Past:

Assuming it can work...add in the Pyramid Dungeon from the GBA version to the SNES version, it is unlocked after you beat the game.

Minish Cap:

The game would probably look wonderful if it was given a SNES color palette.

Metroid Fusion:

Snes color palette.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: May 11, 2017, 05:27:47 pm »
Link to the Past:
Assuming it can work...add in the Pyramid Dungeon from the GBA version to the SNES version, it is unlocked after you beat the game.
That's one of the main things I wanted to do for ALttP Redux.
Sadly, it seems like the game has some sort of room limit put in place for ALttP.
I can't remember exactly what is the room limit, but Hyrule Magic doesn't like you adding more stuff than what is already available in the game to start with.

So unless someone finds a way to expand both the room and object limits, there is no current way to do so.
And if the method comes up someday, we still have to implement all 4 Shadow Links in there with special abilities.
Some heavy ASM heavy will be required for that.
The re-used bosses would not be an issue, since it's mostly just the same thing but with added attacks or damage.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: May 11, 2017, 10:52:33 pm »
Chrono Trigger:

Adding extra story by re adding the bosses & enemies that didn't make the cut, and fixing the issues associated with them.
Welp, here's the thing.  If only the leftover content was used there wouldn't be much for bosses.  A lot of the edited out content are copies or are actually used (just never fought), save for the Octoriders which could easily make it back into Heckran's cave as the welcoming party.  The 2300AD frogs could be put somewhere after the sewers.  I guess fighting Johnny could be an alternate option to the race.  And the Frog King is already dead unless you put in another rift event similar to saving Lara.  That would be why the DS version (as opposed to the FF TOSE ports) has a boss that isn't either explicitly referenced in CT's lore or was wasting away in some form of data, and why Chrono Compendium doesn't have an article about cut content from the final version.  There isn't enough sitting to work with.

Pre-Release content though... there's quite a large amount to work with.  Almost all textual, but there are a few leftover parts of what probably would've been sidequest content.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:23:02 pm by Chronosplit »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: May 12, 2017, 12:02:07 am »
Unfinished Wonderswan FFIII remake completed as a GBA game like the others ...

(It's only a dream , even if impossible like the N64 Planet Dinosaur prototype , GC Hoshi no Kirby prototype , etc ...)  :'(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:11:52 am by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: May 12, 2017, 09:25:57 am »
I've read up Castlevania Portrait of Ruin is prone to freezing or crashing the system randomly, but that doesn't happen on emulators! (not that I heard of, at least)
So, idea: fix the game's crash issues? It's very finnicky, seems to relate to certain visual effects.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:57:56 am by Tsukiyomaru0 »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: May 12, 2017, 12:37:07 pm »
Yeah. Two broad classes of fix, three if you count get a fast microSD.

1) The original style which nerfed the audio. As audio takes time to load if you get rid of that you get rid of the crashing problem, theoretically any way.
2) An actual fix. It was made by the peeps behind the open source versions of AKRPG (and later AKAIO) but as the former was open source...

Code: [Select]
/*
    patches_cm.cpp
    Copyright (C) 2008 somebody
    Copyright (C) 2009 yellow wood goblin

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
*/

void CDsPatcher::FixBugs(void)
{
  //"3908 - Catan (Europe) (En,De)"
  if(0x50374e43==GameCode()&&0==__NDSHeader->romversion)
  {
    //bug in ai? vector[vector.size()-1] cause crash on empty vector.
    const u32 patch[]=
    {
      0xe3540000, // cmp r4, #0
      0x12441001, // subne r1, r4, #1
      0x112fff1e, // bxne lr
      0xe28dd070, // add sp, sp, #0x70
      0xe3a00000, // mov r0, #0
      0xe8bd8ff8  // ldmfd sp!, {r3-r11, pc}
    };
    memcpy((void*)0x2000bc0,patch,sizeof(patch));
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x0207a9f0,0xebfe1872);
  }
  //"0735 - Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin (USA)"
  else if(0x45424341==GameCode())
  {
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007910,0xeb02508e);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007918,0xea000004);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a00,0xeb025052);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a08,0xe59f1030);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a0c,0xe59f0028);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a10,0xe0281097);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a14,0xea000003);
  }
  //"0676 - Akumajou Dracula - Gallery of Labyrinth (Japan)"
  else if(0x4a424341==GameCode())
  {
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007910,0xeb0250b0);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007918,0xea000004);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a00,0xeb025074);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a08,0xe59f1030);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a0c,0xe59f0028);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a10,0xe0281097);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007a14,0xea000003);
  }
  //"0881 - Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)"
  else if(0x50424341==GameCode())
  {
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007b00,0xeb025370);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007b08,0xea000004);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007bf0,0xeb025334);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007bf8,0xe59f1030);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007bfc,0xe59f0028);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007c00,0xe0281097);
    PatchMem(KArm9,0x02007c04,0xea000003);
  }
  else if(0x50474942==GameCode()) //4800 - Combat of Giants - Mutant Insects (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Sv,No,Da)
  {
    if(IsCommon()||IsDMA()||IsSDSave()) PatchCoG3();
  }
}

That might not make make sense to you but it is not that bad. It basically abuses a cheat function to patch a binary in memory. Find where the binary is loaded in memory (something like NDSTS http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm or any of the hundred other DS ROM header reader/ROM bothering tools will tell you) and then you should be able to find where it is in the ARM9.bin. I don't know offhand if POR's ARM9 binary is compressed, but that should be nothing major if it is (BLZ is taken care of by most of the major DS compression tools).

I forget the full breakdown of what it does but the short version was the coders responsible for all this were not good and thus created a race condition that resulted in crashes if the loading was not fast enough (like say a flash cart with a cheap microSD of the time having a bit of fragmentation/latency). The above should make it into a sensible function as it should have been in the first place.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: May 12, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »
*snip*
But how would one go about converting that into an IPS?

EDIT: Did an experiment, following a guide, and replaced the game's ARM7 with a "donor" ARM7, patching it again afterwards. So far seems to work fine, got past the first painting world, defeated one boss and died to the next, talked to Vincent and Wind fine, interacted without issue with every save point and warp stone on the way, and the worst that happened so far is... A one to two seconds hang when accessing the Guides -> Items.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:30:35 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: May 12, 2017, 01:36:29 pm »
I've read up Castlevania Portrait of Ruin is prone to freezing or crashing the system randomly, but that doesn't happen on emulators! (not that I heard of, at least)
So, idea: fix the game's crash issues? It's very finnicky, seems to relate to certain visual effects.
There's a patch already floating around somewhere in the web.
I know for sure since I had the same issues with Portrait of Ruin in my original R4i card and that patch fixed it.
However, it's been years since I last played PoR and I'm not even sure where I found that patch.

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: May 12, 2017, 02:38:51 pm »
Greetings community
Here is a good basic idea for the pirate port of the Hummer Team Super Mario World (NES) as a simple graphic improvement

- Mario is Missing (NES) all sprite for Mario, Luigi and Yoshi and other elements only apply it to the Super Mario World (NES) hack
- Simple and easy hack for Super Mario World (NES) ;)

Table of Mario is Missing (NES) sprites

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:17:54 am by cartridge_rom »

paulojrmam

• View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: May 12, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
I have and idea, and it might have appeared here before, since it is rather obvious. Phantasy Star IV on Sega Genesis had a map item that was taken out of the game (the code is, apparently, still there). And I think a map would improve the game, and it seems simple enough for a skilled hacker that I'am not, so my idea is this: reimplement map in PSIV.
Where I found out about said map?: https://tcrf.net/Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_End_of_the_Millennium#Algo_Map
P.S.: It would be nice to add item descriptions to the menus too, so you don't have to go to the manual for them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:27:07 am by paulojrmam »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: May 12, 2017, 06:31:56 pm »
The ARM7 swap was designed for when your flash cart had not updated its save handling routines for the newer games yet. It has no bearing on this which is a badly programmed game causing troubles. The crashing can be quite random, though you can usually find something which will force it.

The only patch I have ever seen floating around the internet was the sound muting/nerfing patch (several variations on the theme actually) which might work but is not ideal by any means. Most other flash carts added the fix mentioned to their loaders, though some took a while.

Making that into a patch. I did cover some of the things.

All those values are memory locations, you might just be able to get them in as cheats on your flash cart if you wanted ( http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_nds.html ).
For a proper patch though.

The DS cartridge is not visible in memory like the GBA and 16 bit and old era consoles. For commercial games it copies the ARM9 binary to RAM, the ARM7 one to RAM and occasionally loads other binaries into sections of memory (a process known as overlays).
The main memory, where most of the binary work is done and where they will be loaded, is located at 02000000 in the memory bus ( http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsmemorymaps ).
The binary will not necessarily be loaded into the start of that section though, however where it is loaded to is known to the ROM which is why I mentioned header programs like ndsts ( http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm ).
With that you can find where the binary is loaded into memory.

From where if you know where it is located and what the patches change at those locations it is simple maths (or if you were really bored/your hex editor does not allow setting virtual addresses I guess you could append the binary to a blank file to make it appear in the "same" location) to figure out where to put the changes that the source code below notes.

Things that might trip you up.
1) I mentioned compression before. For whatever reason sometimes the DS binaries are compressed in the ROM and decompressed to work. They tend to use a known type of compression called BLZ, though many refer to it as DS binary compression. Cue's compression tools can handle this. I should also say Crystaltile2's DS ROM filesystem window has spotty detection of compression at times and it will say things which are not compressed are actually compressed, though at the same time its extract and decompression functions (right click in the filesystem window) will spit out the same file either way.
2) I am not sure offhand what endianness the payload parts of that are. Easy enough to test both ways though, and even if it was not then the disassembled code would likely not make any sense if you got it wrong.

As far as making a patch then IPS might work in this instance (it is an in place patch of a section likely to be less than 16 megabytes into the ROM) but it will be one of the few in the DS where it does. You would be better off making an xdelta patch or one of the other good formats.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: May 12, 2017, 09:13:32 pm »
I understood nearly nothing... On another note of Portrait of Ruin, I have yet to see a patch that fixes the Death Softlock that happens if you try to skip the conversation before or after (dunno when) the fight with Death. Not that it bothers me or anyone aware of said bug, to be honest.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: May 13, 2017, 12:34:47 am »
Sadly, it seems like the game has some sort of room limit put in place for ALttP.
I can't remember exactly what is the room limit, but Hyrule Magic doesn't like you adding more stuff than what is already available in the game to start with.

So unless someone finds a way to expand both the room and object limits, there is no current way to do so.
And if the method comes up someday, we still have to implement all 4 Shadow Links in there with special abilities.
The re-used bosses would not be an issue, since it's mostly just the same thing but with added attacks or damage.

I'm not sure if this alternative is possible, but I've seen romhacks where people simply deleted everything else, and made room for specific content. Maybe what could be done is have this romhack set Link at the bonus dungeon, but he can't go anywhere else (since everything else is simply deleted, and he can only walk around outside of the pyramid).

I know it's seems a bit..well "bizarre" to have it done that way, but it might be one way to go about it if people just want to experience the bonus dungeon, but not play the main game.

Other idea for the GBA Version:

The other way is simply editing the GBA version, and make the adjustments to access the dungeon which honestly I would think be a lot more easier, and less consuming instead of trying to insert it into the SNES version (I'm still kind of surprised there is no patch for this yet).

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: May 13, 2017, 01:53:12 am »

Well, some of the spacial limits might not actually be a problem (and some are still manageable). If you use the Room Transfer program over at Zeldix I believe you could have up to 320 rooms/quadrants easily instead of the native 295. The rooms themselves should not be a problem. There are some other things that might have to be expanded upon manually though* like the native limit on indoor sprites for the whole game (2247?), entrances/exits (129 entrances, 79 exits), pushable blocks (99) and torches that can be lit (288).

*I'm not sure if RT.exe expands these dungeon related objects or not but I know it relocates all of them to an expanded portion of the ROM in a very organized fashion except for the entrances/exits as that is overworld data. If the same door is used to exit as the one that was entered from and you do not exit automatically after defeating a boss like the native dungeons then you would really only have to sacrifice one existing entrance if you wanted to go the easy route.

To add the extra rooms in all you would have to do is design them in a seperate ROM and then have RT.exe import them into the expanded portion. I mean, it wouldn't need any more than 25 large rooms/100 small/standard rooms would it?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: May 13, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »
TMNT Kart. Admit something like this would be so fine.  8)

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: May 14, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
So, after the ARM7 transplant it seems that Portrait of Ruin stopped freezing entirely, at worst hanging for one or two seconds when trying to check Guides -> Items, but nothing bad has been going on...

Spoiler:
OK, small update: it DID freeze... Much later. After beating Brauner and returning to the sister. But only one time, the next time it didn't happen. I assume this is the freeze that supposedly can happen in EVERY US and JPN version of Portrait of Ruin.

That out of the way, idea for Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance:
* Improve the music quality to be on par with Circle of the Moon or Aria of Sorrow instead of sounding like a cheaply emulated NES chiptune.
* Improve graphical quality to have it be less on the bright side, without making it look too washed out (because emulators' "Real Game Boy Colors" really ruins it).

And I've noticed in the MetroidConstruction Forum that MetroidZ tried to make Super Metroid Prime but seems to have given up, so... The idea I have is to "remake" Super Metroid to have features and limitations similar to Metroid Prime, effectively remodeling maps as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:51:34 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »