News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2417772 times)

magictrufflez

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3620 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »
Not gonna happen, but it occurred to me the other day how much I liked most things about Blue Dragon...except the heroes.  Seriously, give me some heroes that aren't in grade school with more interesting designs and I think I'd like the game a ton more (also redoing some of the equipment would be nice--ie real weapons)

A man can ream I guess

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #3621 on: February 17, 2017, 12:18:45 am »
A man can ream I guess

It depends on what part of the world he lives in.

denshousha

• View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: February 17, 2017, 06:22:22 pm »
Hi! I have an idea about hacking Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf into Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge, as featured on The Simpsons.  Lee Carvallo could replace "Super Mex" and the remaining three generic player characters could be turned into Bart, Homer, and Marge.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:45 pm »
Another neat hack idea that I would like to see is one for both the American and Shindou versions of Super Mario 64 that would add greater stereo separation for the music tracks and sound effects so they would sound better.
I'm still bashing away at Shindou M64 right now, so I'll toss this onto the To-Do pile as well,
But what exactly do you mean by "greater stereo separation though?" just making it sound like right and left are further apart?

mateau

• View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: February 18, 2017, 05:10:10 am »
Hi, the Nintendo 64 game Holy Magic Century (known as Quest 64 in English) have a translation mistake that makes the game very confusing for French players. The mistake only occur with the French version of the game Holy Magic Century (France).n64 (NOT Europe or Germany version).

Basically, the names of the magics that are available with 'C-Left' and 'C-Right' buttons, have been inverted by mistake. As a result, 30 magics have the wrong name :o

A bugfix would greatly improve the experience to anyone playing the French version of this game. I don't have a lot of knowledge in computer myself, but if it can help, i already listed the details in a .txt file (link bellow). It contain an information table with 'English name from Quest 64 (for reference)', also 'the name with the bad translation', and 'what the name should be after it is fixed'. The .txt file is written in English, so even if you don't speak French, you can still help if you feel for it, and of course, if you have the time for it. Thanks for helping, your work is really appreciate :thumbsup:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vofaarp4046qn3l/HolyMagicCentury+French.txt

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: February 18, 2017, 10:25:31 am »
They did, Capcom made him a reality as Gouken in Street Fighter IV.

I just think it would be cool to have the EGM version of the character to actually appear in the original Street Fighter II games.

Another neat idea for that Street Fighter II hack is the option to switch the names of the bosses back to their correct names.

Those are cool ideas for arcade hacks that you got there Poppler.

Two arcade hacks that I want to see is one for Strider that would restore his missing "Hah!" sound effect from the Japanese version and it would also restore the uncensored sprites of the Amazon enemies as well: https://tcrf.net/Strider_(Arcade)#Unused_Graphics

The other one is a quick color hack for SvC Chaos that would change the yellow stripe on Sagat's shorts to red to make him look more like his SFII appearance and it would also change the color of Akuma's blue Gi to the same color as Serious Mr. Karate's Gi to make him look more accurate to his black Gi as well.

Here are edits that I did of them to show what I want them to look like:

Where is this SvC patch?? I want it, please!!!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: February 18, 2017, 10:53:36 am »
There is no patch, I made those in photoshop to show people that are good on editing the color palettes in Neo Geo arcade ROMs of what I want them to look like if they're interested of changing them.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »
There is no patch, I made those in photoshop to show people that are good on editing the color palettes in Neo Geo arcade ROMs of what I want them to look like if they're interested of changing them.

Ahhhh... The was a guy named Acidglow that made a few palette hacks of SvC, but those videos now are down...
I would like to expand your idea giving all of the characters the best alternate colors. Or classic ones.

Super Turbo colors for the Street Fighter II characters, except for Chun-Li (she gets the grey one used in SF3TS).
Night Warriors color for Demitri, Pocket Fighter colors for Tessa. Copy Zero from X2 for MM Zero.

I don't know what colors give to the SNK chars (Shiki alt is plain awesome), give me ideas for popular alt colors.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3628 on: February 19, 2017, 02:48:48 am »
How about a hack in which Billy and Jimmy from the Double Dragon series of games are replaced with Kunio and Riki? And maybe even with some funny dialogue about how they got where they are. Perhaps they can return back to their "world" after defeating the last boss in whichever Double Dragon game their in and entering through some kind of dimensional portal.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: February 19, 2017, 08:23:19 am »
- Hypothetical Lunar Silver Star Harmony Restoration Project -

So this remake for the PSP suffers from a few issues, and I'm kind of surprised it has not been addressed yet:

1) The Anime Cut scenes which are thankfully kept original, but they suffer from terrible voice acting choices. I'm wondering if it would be possible to restore the original PSX voice acting to remedy this situation. The Boat scene & Title Music however would probably be the more interesting change because most versions are pretty good, this one would depend on taste (maybe will have to vote on this which has higher "want" or "keep" level or simply making a optional patch that changes those scenes).

2) Some of the Dialogue with voice acting I believe can be remedied as well by simply doing some re-writes to make a hybrid PSX/PSP story script, and also restoring the original voice actors, but please be aware that I don't rightly remember if the PSP version actually has new voiced lines anywhere that was not present in the PSX version, but if there is then maybe this might be very tricky to do. Now some people here will ask me "what about the new prologue?" I believe that can be ignored if we pretend that this was their younger selves, and thus they'll sound different during this time, I know that is a silly excuse, but least there will be a small reason for voice acting changes (Also Ghaleon PS1 voice actor rocks!).

3) Turn this game into a Hard-Type to remedy the issue for the game being way too easy, I don't think the PSX can be used as a base as they changed up a few things with this remake.

4) Now my understanding this game's script is more closer to the original intention, and thus a lot of Working Design's script is practically gone, so I guess this won't be a issue, but optionally if some people care about the funny 90s jokes then maybe it can be considered.

Now as a alternative project if that proves to be too difficult then... "Lunar Silver Star Story Complete Upgrade"

1) Basically the PSP version's music is far superior, and my understanding that IT IS possible to change the PS1's music due to recent hacks out there. I think it would be amazing if someone can figure how to transfer the new music soundtrack over back to the PS1 version. I always thought the PS1 soundtrack was pretty weak compared to Lunar 2, and this upgrade will definitely give this old version new life.

2) Optionally there were exclusive monsters back in the old SEGA CD game, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to restore these monsters to be part of the PS1 version. This would require some work, and a bit of heavy hacking, but it would be a interesting new take for the game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:56:12 am by Kallisto »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: February 19, 2017, 01:12:39 pm »
Dumb utility feature idea: a patcher for mobile devices that lets you create a quick and dirty IPS.

None of the options at this point cover it, and every once in a great while there is a fringe use of the function.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:52 am »
1) Vice Translations has a translation patch for the Famicom version of Renegade, and poody has a patch that changes the character sprites into the traditional Kunio-Kun style. It would be nice if someone not only combined these but then further localize it as well. Restoring some of the environment graphics from the NES Renegade (i.e., Beer sign) while also incorporating the Western Kunio style sprites of River City Ransom (t-shirts, instead of Japanese school outfits); and applying the US character names (Kunio => Alex, etc.). Then we'd have a true "River City Ransom Zero"

2) The Famicom version of Castlevania with an English titlescreen

3) Nice to see that the Super Mario Advance series now all have colour patches and patches to remove some of the more annoying sound effect additions. But... the music is still not quite right. Music restoration patches to bring them up to the SNES All-Stars versions would be greatly appreciated. The same goes for A Link to the Past GBA.

4) Ability to single boot individual games from Super Mario All-Stars. I like this collection just for SMB2USA and SMB3. I use the NES versions for the other games. Would rather have SMB2USA and SMB3 be stand-alone games.

5) A hack of a hack. Sonic Classic Heroes, but with classic Sonic1/2/CD/Mania-esque sprites. The original hack gives the characters their Sonic3 designs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:17:49 am by TRIFORCE89 »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: February 20, 2017, 11:54:30 am »
3) Nice to see that the Super Mario Advance series now all have colour patches and patches to remove some of the more annoying sound effect additions. But... the music is still not quite right. Music restoration patches to bring them up to the SNES All-Stars versions would be greatly appreciated. The same goes for A Link to the Past GBA.

Most of the Super Mario Advance series music seems reasonably close to the SNES versions of the songs, actually (though Super Mario World got messed up pretty bad). Some things were deliberately changed though. I like how the trumpet in SMB3 sounds more like a trumpet, but the marimba in the Yoshi's Island port is just disgusting and could desperately use replacing.

madness flame

• View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: February 21, 2017, 02:38:43 am »
Idea to restore the Sound Test available only in the Japanese version of these 2 NES games:

1) Faria - A world of Mystery and Danger
In the Japanese version, when you enter your name, choose むしか to access a Sound Test. There's a unique picture in the background while you can play the songs of the game by pressing A and B. It would be good to have access to the same Sound Test if you write Music as your name in the international version.

2) Gremlins 2 - the new batch
In the Japanese version, you can access a Sound Test if you press A+Start at the title screen. This option has been removed from the european and american version of the game.

Idea to restore 2 options of this NES game:

3a) River City Ransom
In the Japanese version of the game "Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari", there is 3 difficulty mode instead of 2.
The Japanese version have: Easy, Normal, Hard.
The USA version have Novice = to the Normal difficulty of Japan. And Advanced = to the Hard difficulty of Japan.
USA version doesn't have equivalent to the Easy difficulty.

3b) River City Ransom
The game have 1 Player mode or 2 Players mode. However, the Japanese version have two different 2 Players mode. In the first mode (2 Players A), both players can hit each others. In the second mode (2 Players B), both players cannot hit each others as the attacks pass through. That latter option is the one they removed in River City Ransom.

ikusatatsu_ushiromiya

• View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: February 22, 2017, 10:48:24 am »
I want to remove the EXP. inheritance when start the next round.
I think when I use "start a new game" to play the next round, my EXP. should be zero,just like other Castlevania game.
Is anyone can do the patch to realize it?For both US Version and Japanese Version.
Thank you!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: February 22, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »
Dragonball X - A level/graphics hack of Megaman X 1 where Goku (X) and Vegeta (Zero) team up to fight Dr. Gero and 8 of his Androids.

For armor upgrades, Goku would start in his normal outfit, and when an armor upgrade is found he'd get a piece of his outfit from Dragonball GT. Getting the helmet, for example, would be his Super Saiyan hairdo.

...I might scour the forum for that MMX editor (can't remember the name of it) and take a try at this. It's been awhile since I've messed around with anything hacking related, and even longer since I dicked around with a SNES game.  ;)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: February 22, 2017, 03:46:18 pm »
The guitar playthrough for Megaman & Bass by Krysztofslowikoski is completed, and is providing the Remix OST for free. hopefully someone here can whip a MSU-1 patch for Megaman & Bass for SNES

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: February 24, 2017, 12:19:52 am »
Lot of popular snes games out there have a full or almost complete fan remix soundtracks by various artists, but for some other less popular games that none exist, but a few Japanese exclusives did have arrange soundtracks out there.

So far I think at least of half of the most popular snes games now have MSU-1 patches, but personally I hope one day someone will do a patch for DQI+II. Another game series to note that would benefit would be the Breath of Fire series, but the only issue is that not all of it's music is remixed (or least to my knowledge).
I had been wanting to do a MSU-1 patch for DQ I.II for a long time.

I could have easily had used existing recordings, like the Electone versions, orchestrated and other stuff. I opted to try and create synth arrangements using synths and samplers from the 80's and 90s.

Here's a few demos I never finished. The I field theme and the II battle theme
https://www.mediafire.com/?f33v9l1pg1fwuaa
https://www.mediafire.com/?f33v9l1pg1fwuaa

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: February 24, 2017, 02:54:34 pm »
So...

Is anyone interested in creating a Mega Man X3 MSU-1 patch with the FMV cutscenes? I know there's already an MSU-1 patch for the game, but that one just has the music. Chrono Trigger already has an MSU-1 patch, but a new one with the FMVs is in the works.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: February 24, 2017, 05:33:47 pm »
I had been wanting to do a MSU-1 patch for DQ I.II for a long time.

I could have easily had used existing recordings, like the Electone versions, orchestrated and other stuff. I opted to try and create synth arrangements using synths and samplers from the 80's and 90s.

I've desperately want to use the Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken remixes back from the early 90s. It has some of best sounding remixed music that has that 80s feel to it (rightfully so as well as I think it is appropriate for DQ1-3 specifically)

Remixed DQ2 Battle Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWhq1-47jWY

Remixed DQ3 Final Battle Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhL1iRhgsCs

Just hearing how epic it sounds, and I just pray somebody patches those games up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:41:37 pm by Kallisto »