News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2765388 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3560 on: January 18, 2017, 03:03:59 pm »
Someone please make an UNDUB version of Gungrave: Overdose.

I played the first game, and was astonished with the seiyuus. The sequel, though, has a horrible dub.
Well, I guess the NTSC-U version is the only dubbed... Nope, the PAL ver has that horrible audio.

I got the Chinese translated ver of the JAP version.
Please... Pretty please...

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: January 19, 2017, 09:03:01 pm »
I really want to see someone remix the ost for Dragon Quest I&II seeing how weak the music was with the exception for DQIII strangely enough, I thought maybe MSU-1 was the way to go, but I think just remixing the music would be just as good.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #3562 on: January 20, 2017, 12:55:53 am »
Alright, so.  I have an idea for a Mega Man/Rockman 7 hack that should be simple enough to implement.  I call it "Rock Retrograde," though I might just call it "Retrograde," and I'd want it to do the following:
- Decrease the Charge Shot start-up time from 110 frames to 82 frames.
- Increase the post-damage invulnerability time from 60 frames to 87 frames.
- Increase the Charge Shot damage on (most) bosses from 2 to 3.

Simple, right?  The idea here is to make 7 play a little more like 5 in terms of the damage and the Buster.  Believe it or not, that teeny-tiny difference in invulnerability frames and that terrible Charge Shot start-up has always bothered the crap out of me.  I can take or leave the 2 vs. 3 damage thing on bosses, but it would make that stupid thing a little more useful, like it was in older games.

Now, all that being said, I was wondering if anyone happens to know anyone that could help me with this.  I have a basic idea of how to find and "convert" RAM values into ROM values... sort of (useful for the first two problems), but I'm not entirely sure where the damage charts are for bosses and enemies, since there doesn't seem to be any real documentation on the ROM and whatnot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And in case anyone's wondering "why 5," it's because it has the shortest Charge Shot start-up time of the classic series. 
Incidentally, & Forte had the longest Charge Shot start-up (120 frames!), which is why I didn't go that route.
Also 1/2 has the longest invulnerability frames (112 frames) of the series.  Unless you count The Wily Wars, which is longer by 8 frames (120 frames!).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:06:51 am by Joseph Lithius »

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:29 am »
It would be nice if someone can change version of ROM for Werewolf and Heavy Barrel. When I put that two in imbNES and load in PSX or PS2 that two games strand on start. Heavy Barrel freezes after parachute and Werewolf after title screen.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:38:18 am by TonyBiH »

Fearless Feedle

• View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: January 20, 2017, 10:39:25 am »
Can someone out there translate softball tengoku instruction manual or provide a text of it translated?
or is there a scan of it in pdf i can view?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:19 pm »
Ideas on Terranigma:
1. Script Reworking. Anybody who remembers Bloody Mary has terrible memories of the "Kagome Kagome" phase, all because of lazy teamwork.
2. Rework Magic System to allow one to equip the rings to quickly use them on the field and also remove the "Ring is destroyed" thing, but rather add a cooldown (the ring/pin will be blacked out for a minute or so). The case of buying multiple rings or allows the user to reduce the cooldown of that specific one down to 10%.
3. Increase the number of slots for armors and weapons, making it possible to have ALL of them.
Spoiler:
4. Add a post-game content, like the ability of Ark to return to the surface if they made the mistake of saving in the underworld
5. Give the Pause (Start) its own menu, which should be quick-access to things like: Items, Magic (Rings & Pins), Weapon, Armor, Map, Stats, Settings.
6. At last, remember the half-width font hack someone made? It is really cool and all, but that could be worked with 1 to make it more effective and remove the excessive space that remains behind.

And one idea for Golden Sun & Golden Sun The Lost Age:
An application that creates a romhack that is a fusion of both games, allowing you to start of TLA as soon as you finish the first half, carrying over your progression completely.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:38:27 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: January 20, 2017, 06:42:16 pm »
I really want to see someone remix the ost for Dragon Quest I&II seeing how weak the music was with the exception for DQIII strangely enough, I thought maybe MSU-1 was the way to go, but I think just remixing the music would be just as good.
Honestly given Dragon Quest and how popular it's music is, I'm surprised a DQ game wasn't the first to get the MSU-1 treatment.

Ideas on Terranigma:
1. Script Reworking. Anybody who remembers Bloody Mary has terrible memories of the "Kagome Kagome" phase, all because of lazy teamwork.
Illusion of Gaia also could use this.  Localization is not one of it's strong points.

2. Rework Magic System to allow one to equip the rings to quickly use them on the field and also remove the "Ring is destroyed" thing, but rather add a cooldown (the ring/pin will be blacked out for a minute or so). The case of buying multiple rings or allows the user to reduce the cooldown of that specific one down to 10%.
The whole magic system was terrible in Terranigma.  I'd say they either need a huge buff to make them worth using or make them easier to use as a whole.

And one idea for Golden Sun & Golden Sun The Lost Age:
An application that creates a romhack that is a fusion of both games, allowing you to start of TLA as soon as you finish the first half, carrying over your progression completely.
That would be neat!  As much as I'd like to see Golden Sun Duology (er, quick name based on Baldur's Gate Trilogy) though, I'm concerned about if there's enough space in the usual ROM or not.  Flashcart usage may be shaky, I dunno.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:29 pm »
Believe me I really want somebody to do the MSU-1 patch for DQI-III, but something must have caused a holdup since it would have been done ages ago.

I'm pretty bummed about it. : /

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: January 21, 2017, 01:47:16 am »
That would be neat!  As much as I'd like to see Golden Sun Duology (er, quick name based on Baldur's Gate Trilogy) though, I'm concerned about if there's enough space in the usual ROM or not.  Flashcart usage may be shaky, I dunno.
Golden Sun is 8 MB
Golden Sun The Lost Age is 16 MB
Both combined is 24 MB
Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories is 32 MB!

The problem would probably be in expanding the ROM, GSTLA however, if I recall, uses several assets from the first game, so that alone would help reduce usage.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: January 21, 2017, 07:20:44 pm »
Max GBA ROM space is 32 megabytes/256Mbit, at least until you try bankswitching ( https://mgba.io/2015/10/20/dumping-the-undumped/ ), and full space is available to and always fully in memory for each and every game on the system bar those from the link. Flash carts had this in some iterations but let us not go there, for some forum searcher then the exception from homebrew tended to be pogoshell.

Very few people will build GBA multiroms as flash carts were so prevalent and geared towards multiple games from menus. In commercial games things when multipack games appeared tended to be compiled for it (ASM was not unknown to commercial GBA coders but C was very much the standard for most things) and just branched to/soft reset to, the most interesting stuff you will see will be for phantasy star collection and possibly Bauldur's gate which did things differently and troubled cheat device users as a consequence.
http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gba.html#nonstandard

To do a multi game you will either have to find a way to do virtual pages within a game (not going to happen, flash carts did this with hardware if they did it at all*), remap everything in the game which is as tedious as it sounds or create some kind of abstraction layer for reads (as it is all in memory you might map something to 09?????? and then any reads to the original 08?????? region should not be hard to pull off). Pointer maths, calculated pointers and similar concepts are common enough on the GBA as the processor is kind of geared for it in some cases (it does well at shifting for one) so if you were thinking some kind of static analysis then consider it carefully, it is however not a required thing so you may dodge that bullet. Owing to the tools made for it (a guy named Atrius did some fine work on it, including tools that scanned for files and had a lot of baked in info about the pointers) you might be able to get a lot done on the static analysis side of things however.

Likewise that extra space being available means you will definitely not be able to combine it with some of the nice hacks like the voice acting experiment.

*older NOR based stuff will, later RAM/dump section based things most likely will not or will have a lot of stuff in the middle of it all to handle saves.

Personally I think it is a silly idea. By all means have something to share any kind of save data you want but a fusion hack is a lot of work for no real gain. The "best" way for anything close for me would be a custom build of an emulator that holds the other in reserve, hack in an interrupt at a key point, sort any save/character info and then soft reset or branch into it a la how a lot of flash carts worked. Not really what people seem to go in for around here and still fairly pointless from where I sit but to each their own.

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: January 22, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »
I just thought of what would be an EXTREMELY useful thing to implement into Super Mario World (and for it's hacks, if possible)

A screen that shows you what Dragon Coins you have collected in what levels. (they might even have this in the GBA version)

It would give me a reason to try to get all the Dragon Coins finally. (like star coins in the "New" series)

caninis

• View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:15 pm »
I have a N64 related hack idea, which I think Zoinkity may be interested in

In Goemon's Great Adventure theres a music intro scene that was removed for the USA version, but was in the japan version

A good N64 hack idea would be to return this intro, with a translation, to the USA version for a more definitive Goemon's Great Adventure, along with any other scenes that were only in the japan version, if theres any others

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: January 22, 2017, 07:20:12 pm »
I just thought of what would be an EXTREMELY useful thing to implement into Super Mario World (and for it's hacks, if possible)

A screen that shows you what Dragon Coins you have collected in what levels. (they might even have this in the GBA version)

It would give me a reason to try to get all the Dragon Coins finally. (like star coins in the "New" series)

It is in the GBA version, requiring it to get the "100%" ending.
Although despite that, Nintendo felt the need to make castles/fortresses REQUIRE a DIFFERENT code to re-enter, even though it is a necessity if the player does not collect all the Dragon Coins the first time (which have been added to levels that didn't originally have them).

I don't think SMW (the original version) is set up to remember collected Dragon Coins, although I have seen Let's Plays of some hacks that did add it (though not with a menu but an extra icon by the level name).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: January 23, 2017, 06:42:56 am »

Patches for this exist over at the SMWcentral site. Some are subtle, like a competition icon next to the level name on the world map. But there's also a port of the GBA sub-screen for it, with Peach graphics and music even.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »
FFVI, give Cyan a whip using sister.  Came from this interview: http://shmuplations.com/ff6/

Terra was also originally going to die.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: January 23, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »
Seeing my username being called DavidtheIdeaMan,I had this Castlevania rom hack idea brewing in the back of my head and I titled it so,it's something to revamp (no pun intended) many things on Dracula's Curse like give Grant,Sypha and Alucard sub weapons and upgraded weapons replace repeated boss fights etc because I rarely use any of the characters to play through the game and a whole bunch of other stuff,so I'll post ideas or suggestions to make the game ten times better then the original. 

January 23, 2017, 08:37:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Castlevania Dracula's Curse Revamp Ideas!

Bloodlines boomerang and Haunted Castle Bomb sub weapons for Grant since he can use the Dagger and Axe already.

Sypha should have an upgraded staff,abit more stronger then the other one and it should look like or closely to the staff she has in Castlevania Judgement.

Ice Mist sub weapon from Super Castlevania III for Sypha

If possible,upgrade Trevor's sprite to make him resemble from the US Boxart,like the one that Behest created.

Use that Cadence of Agony Alucard sprite back edit his arms with abit more black.

Other tracks from other Castlevania games.

Other bosses from other Castlevania games due to there's quite a few repeat bosses.

Updated sprites and graphics

And that's about it I think?   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:37:02 pm by DavidtheIdeaMan »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: January 23, 2017, 10:20:41 pm »
So, There's this game called Touhou ~ Marine Benefit that is in serious need of three things...
One, a HUGE nerf on Megumi Yaobi, Stage 5 boss, along with Final Boss's, both of which likes to put you in a bubble and turn anywhere OUTSIDE the bubbles into a DEATH ZONE. The nerf could be a timer that counts down from 3 to your certain death.
Two, a minor nerf to the Extra Boss's Final Spellcard, which covers the ENTIRE screen with smoke/mist gradually, making it so it is IMPOSSIBLE to even imagine where one of the bullets is at a point.
Three. a translation. It's a great fangame that often goes forgotten.

Another interesting fangame that is forgotten is Project Nize Festival (Don't worry: it was originally a Free Flash Game that had its own site, but then the hosting service closed and people uploaded it to daigobah and others), which uses Mountain of Faith's bomb-power system and Imperishable Night's Teams. But why is mine a projector executable? Two reasons: One is that you don't need a browser window; other is that it is how it allowed me to break the "100% scaling" it was locked to. That's right, now you can scale this at will! (though it will look pixelated), but know what this game needs? A translation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:31:21 pm by Tsukiyomaru0 »

Shopow

• View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:23 am »
I have an idea for a rom hack about Sword Art Online, eithef hacking Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem (Most likely Fire Emblem) but I don't know anything about how to program or script or anything. If anyone could collaborate with me to make this I would be very thankful!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: January 24, 2017, 03:48:49 pm »
Not sure if it is possible, but cleaning up the graphics in Shining the Holy Ark would be neat.

mreddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: January 24, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
Has anyone seen a modified version of Nintendo Tennis where 1P can play 2P rather than just cooperative doubles.  Nintendo has the VS Tennis Arcade version that does this, but I want it in the NES rom.  Has anyone seen something like this around?