News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2417297 times)

Jareth247

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3520 on: December 28, 2016, 01:39:12 am »
Anyone else wanna see a "Stranger Things"-based hack of Earthbound Zero? I mean there ARE many similarities between the two. Maybe it's just me.

Also, could 16-bit-style versions of Mega Man 9 and 10 be made in Mega Man: The Wily Wars?

Evilengine

• View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: December 28, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
2 ideas I hope there will be a release in the future:
Circle Pad Pro camera control for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
also
Saturn Bomberman Music Hack to allow a little more diverse music for the multiplayer mode, that has one track over and over again.

xstuff

• View Profile
    • Deviantart.com
« Reply #3522 on: December 28, 2016, 04:31:26 pm »
Seeing the stage intros on the Playstation 1 version of Capcom vs Snk pro would be interesting to see.
They could be rendered into Full Motion Videos(FMV) like the intro and the capcom logo. Then afterwards,
it can transition into gameplay.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3523 on: December 29, 2016, 04:53:06 pm »
Or how about this: a prequel to Tales of Phantasia where you get to play as Cless' parents, Mint's mother and Tornix so you can see the story of how they met and eventually confronted Dhaos in an epic fight which led him to being sealed within the two pendants. In other words, the ending of this game would be like the beginning of Tales of Phantasia. Kind of like how it was done in Lufia and Lufia 2 (which was actually the prequel to the first game). Man, I would love to play such a game/hack! Alas, the chances of such a thing happening are pretty slim. Such a project would require a ton of time and dedicated work, especially in the romhacking department. If only the members of Dejap were still around, maybe then it could be done.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: December 29, 2016, 05:30:28 pm »
Or how about this: a prequel to Tales of Phantasia where you get to play as Cless' parents, Mint's mother and Tornix so you can see the story of how they met and eventually confronted Dhaos in an epic fight which led him to being sealed within the two pendants. In other words, the ending of this game would be like the beginning of Tales of Phantasia. Kind of like how it was done in Lufia and Lufia 2 (which was actually the prequel to the first game). Man, I would love to play such a game/hack! Alas, the chances of such a thing happening are pretty slim. Such a project would require a ton of time and dedicated work, especially in the romhacking department. If only the members of Dejap were still around, maybe then it could be done.

There's some of this in the Tale Phantasia novel and gives a lot more story on Winona, who was that archer you see dead at the beginning of the game.  There isn't a full full story I think but it definitely delves much further into Dhaos's history, Winona's and Rhea (Lia) Scarlet.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Mayorofunkytown

• View Profile
« Reply #3525 on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:03 am »
These are my ideas for an Earthbound/Mother 2 Hack:
1. Jeff comes from Twoson and has Paula's story Paula comes from Winters and has Jeff's story.
2. Instead of a short intro then teleport Poo has his own dungeon after/during Mu training.
3. The more pointless/unnecessary changes made in the localization are switched back to normal.

The first one is mainly what I want to do. Using Coilsnake for switching Jeff/Paula sprites around was easy enough but the text seems to be a bit more difficult to alter. The Coilsnake script function doesn't seem to give me any dialogue about them. I've read about CCSscriptwriter not sure if it's what Coilsnake implements or if it's it's own program or something else entirely that I don't understand. So if anyone knows about that info would be appreciated.

Adding a dungeon is something that would be nice but with my experience probably not feasible so I would need someone to tell me how to go about that.

I know Maternalbound exists but I can't seem to just throw it into Coilsnake and go from there so editing the sprites there with another program is also an option.

Edit: Apparently I had an old version of coilsnake so now the updated version seems more workable.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:43:08 pm by Mayorofunkytown »

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: December 30, 2016, 07:53:31 am »
A SMB1 Hack fully resembling SMB Deluxe for the GB, other than the very small screen and intro, and menu. Sorry.
Is the pool clean?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: December 30, 2016, 10:56:31 am »

I would love this idea too actually, I never thought about exploring the past of the game like that.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: December 30, 2016, 01:31:44 pm »
Wizardry â…¤: Heart of the Maelstrom (SNES)

A hack would restore some uncensored stuff from Japanese version in the US versions… Or just translate the option menu to english in Japanese version.

Dang I love this game.  I didn't realize it had so much censorship.  I'll take a look at it and see what I can do.

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: December 30, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
sorry for the excessive spamming of Protoman/Proto Man
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:49:46 am by Zeikar »

Binarynova

• View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: December 31, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
How about a hack of Final Fantasy Origins for the Playstation that adds a small delay between pressing a key and the key press repeating?

Origins would probably be my favorite version of FF1 and FF2 if not for that issue (many times I thought I pressed a direction key once, but it actually moved the cursor twice or more).
#WoolseyDidNothingWrong

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: January 01, 2017, 12:21:46 am »
In the review copy for Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Polar makes a funny "Nyeh!" sound instead of his usual bark. Here's a video of this in action.

How about a hack of Crash Team Racing that replaces the bark with the "Nyeh!"?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: January 01, 2017, 03:33:18 pm »
FFIX: Fix the small references.  This may be better off on PC.

It's localization is great.  Just this was a game full of references that some of us didn't even have outside Japan yet, so understandably some things got muddled.  Most of this is text editing.  This might end up a bit more trouble than it's worth though, because a scant couple (Mount Gulg and Pandaemonium) involve graphic changes with the area introduction sequences.

If I were to do it I'd do it for PS1, probably throw in the Thunder Slash Fix so it's all in one PPF, and an alt. version which changes Climhazzard to Reunion's Crime Hazard (because well, it does certainly fit).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:45:11 pm by Chronosplit »

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: January 01, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »
A hack to fix the broken text in the landing mode in Top Gun for NES. Other than that issue, it seemed like a reasonable game.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: January 01, 2017, 11:29:15 pm »
By "broken" do you mean the Up/Down thing? From what I understand, up and down on a real plane are reversed, so not really a bug.
But what about the music? Did they INTEND for the western version to have music in the attract mode and silence during actual play (considering they apparently missed it in the initial release AND the "Rev A")? (the Famicom version is the reverse)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: January 02, 2017, 06:45:01 pm »
Ya, but I think it's more broken than you give credit for -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRwIqdWdtE&t=2m10s

But definitely, fixing the music would also be a good idea, too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:32:40 pm by DrDimension »

Wesker

• View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:29 am »
This is just some wondering. How feasible would be to hack the Sega Saturn versions of Dungeons & Dragons Collection and Tenchi wo Kurau II (the latter one also had a PlayStation version), which are 2 players only versions, to allow 4 players and 3 players respectively? I suppose it's not easy to attempt but maybe there's some kind of leftover code in them from the arcade versions which could make it possible.

Capcom should have allowed the options even if multitaps were not that common yet. Even that small company called "New" allowed it in their PlayStation conversion of Captain Commando, which allowed 3 players and even 4 players, albeit the latter one as a secret option and at the cost of hitting the game's framerate.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:47:04 am by Wesker »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: January 06, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »
Did Saturn EVER have multitaps?

The only game I have heard of having more than 2 players was Saturn Bomberman, not that sure if that was local or online.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Wesker

• View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: January 06, 2017, 02:27:16 pm »
Did Saturn EVER have multitaps?

The only game I have heard of having more than 2 players was Saturn Bomberman, not that sure if that was local or online.

Of course.

http://segaretro.org/Saturn_6_Player_Adaptor

http://segaretro.org/SBom_Multitap

You can also see the games supported. Too bad Capcom didn't take account of it aside from Senjou no Ookami II (MERCS) supporting it for 3 players play in Capcom Generation 4.

Saturn Bomberman has both local (multitap required for more than 2 players obviously) and online multiplayer, which still works in case of the North American version as that's dial based. Too bad the North American version is uber rare.

sloan11-

• View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: January 07, 2017, 06:11:50 am »
hi, first post..

I've been playing nintendo world cup, and I'm trying to figure a way to change the in-game clock. there are no options in the game, but there are some game-genie and PAR codes floating around...

anyways, i decided it would be better just hack it so I don't have to fool around with those silly devices (plus i can't really use GG on my system anyways, and the PAR code is almost useless).

is it even possible to do a hack that changes the time in the game from 4 minutes per half to, say, 1 minute?  or maybe keep it at 4 minutes but make it run about 4 times faster?

as you can probably guess i have no skills with roms   ;)

i don't want to get ahead of myself, but there are some really cool hacks on this site and other that updated the uniforms and rosters for a lot of the players... it would be really cool to add a time hack to one  of those versions... and maybe speed up all players too! wow that'd be fun

anybody have any comments? is any of this possible?