News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2846198 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3380 on: October 22, 2016, 09:56:35 am »
Stuff I'd like to do/try out for a Zelda II hack:
-Fix the attack cancel when jumping and landing - sword attack is canceled if you attack right before landing or jump right after attacking
-Less limited text and faster text drawing (press A or B to manually display a whole box/paragraph at once), all text skippable (sages/old men and river guard aren't)
-No recoil from hitting enemies nor regular blocks (a special block acts like the bouncy ones in Zelda 3 instead)
-No need to stab any items to pick them up
-Make random encounter sprites move a bit slower
-Slightly longer reach after power glove (turn it into a new sword instead?) or from the get go
-Make the sleeping blob wake up and give the Bagu clue on the second try instead of the fourth
-Sword beam damages everything but heavily armored enemies
-No need to re-select a spell when entering a new room or after using it once
-Remove the low HP beep after 2-3 beeps
-Lessened or removed exp loss after a game over
-Make dog heads respawn or shoot at a slower rate
-Make the boots prevent you from drowning in side view segments - slowly sink?
-Timer-based spells that can be turned off at will
-Make NPCs stop moving while you're in dialogue
-Make the snakes more interesting - 5 second poison or slow effect?
-Spell spell on world map (b+a or select?) - Detects walkable water and/or set encounter tiles and/or hidden paths until you enter an area
-Charge attack
-Larger island palace/palace 3 boss
-Start from the previously used inn/HP or MP refill after game over in the overworld
-Make NPCs not close doors after entering their houses
-Change the blocking sfx
I'd love to see such hack!
I'd add something like respawn points in other places because having only the Zelda palace and Great Palace as restarting points for a Game Over really makes the game frustrating and a hassle/endurance test to even get back to where you died before the Game Over.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3381 on: October 22, 2016, 11:05:07 am »
Agreed. I forgot that it even happens in palaces until the last one, or I would've mentioned that too hehe.

Alternatively, the Spell spell (or a new one, or a different button combo that plays a new flute melody) could warp you between visited towns, cycling between them or via a menu prompt like in Dragon Quest 3. But I think that's more advanced.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:11:54 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

2xWhiskey

• View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: October 22, 2016, 11:37:53 pm »
Hi hi,

No skills here, and I might be a good idea fairy, so...

I've noticed that Nightmare Busters' option for audio is defaulted to Mono.  How about someone being a hero and setting up an IPS that changes the default to Stereo?

I bet it was some other good idea fairy's notion to set it to Mono...

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: October 23, 2016, 01:44:36 am »
As much as I love the Satellaview playable characters, I really had wish that the game would customize the style of the character ala like the Miis. I understand that back then it was impossible to do so, but with technology growing more and more, I would've loved to see the boy or girl characters have different haircolors, hairstyles, and/or hats & clothing they would wear. Heck, I'd even play if they have it show it in the four different seasons.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: October 23, 2016, 06:23:02 pm »
Does a patch that makes character control in DW4 (NES) manual exist?

If not, I would love to see that happen--the remakes are nice and all, but I really do just like the original a lot more....

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:50 am »
Something that always bugged me within Final Fantasy VI is the difference with Celes's artwork appearance to her in game appearance. Her more than any other character. What I'd like to see is that she keeps that sprite, but changes to her Amano artwork version during the World Of Ruin since here green leotard was her general's outfit.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: October 24, 2016, 04:07:46 am »
magictrufflez: there's a Game Genie code, though it has the side effect of making the wagon unusable.  (I don't have it handy right now, sorry.)

Something I'd love to see is a mod for Super Robot Wars J that addresses how high evasion breaks the AI in a fashion that doesn't happen in other SRW games.

See, SRW J's AI is unique in that it will completely ignore units against which it would have a 0% hit chance before spirit command buffs like Focus and Alert are considered.  I can't tell exactly how it does pick targets, but I suspect that the "default" behavior is to calculate highest average damage possible, so e.g. if it has a 100% chance to hit something for 1000 damage or a 51% chance to hit something for 2000 damage, it'll prefer the latter's average of 1020, when other considerations don't override - like certain bosses preferentially targeting specific units, etc. 

In a vacuum, this actually makes the game's AI smarter; however, it seriously hurts the game's replay value on NG+ (which is a problem, since there is a secret unit that can't be unlocked until your 4th playthrough).  On replays, the upgrades your real-type units will have received are likely to render them unhittable by most enemies, especially early in the game, causing all the attacks to get focused onto your super-type units (who may not have the armor or HP, even upgraded, to take heavy focus fire from upgraded enemies).  The enemies, on replays, get upgrades to all of their mech stats (progressively more); however, Accuracy is not an upgradable stat for mechs in SRW J, and their pilots don't get bonus stats to compensate for all the bonus stats you've accumulated either, so their hit rates are completely static and just get worse with every playthrough, until eventually they have 0% chance to hit everything, even your super robots.

And that's where the game completely breaks down, because if the AI has a 0% chance to hit all of your units on the map, it will just sit and do nothing and wait for you to kill it (thus denying you faster game pace via counterattacking).

There's a variety of ways this could be fixed, if someone had the knowhow and time.  One theoretically easy idea is just to floor (pre-Focus/Alert) hit rates at some low but non-zero value, somewhere in the range of 5% to 30%.  (It shouldn't be higher than 30% so that Focus can still reduce it to 0%.)  Another idea would be to do a comprehensive rebalance of unit evasion/armor to make the magic 0% harder or impossible to reach without cheating (which would probably end up being a game-wide evasion nerf and armor/HP buff); that would take a lot more effort, though.  (There was a Japanese romhack that did something in this vein, but it broke the SRAM save function and the site hosting it no longer exists to my knowledge.)  Still another idea would be to give enemy units a bonus to their accuracy based on their number of upgrades or the number of completed game cycles or something - perhaps make mobility upgrades give a flat +5 to hit chance per upgrade, which would give you an incentive to boost mobility on super robots (who don't gain much from it in the vanilla game) as well.

Just some random thoughts.

jhorsfield30

• John @ Return learn gaming
    • View Profile
    • Return learn gaming
« Reply #3387 on: October 24, 2016, 08:41:31 am »
I was amazed at the Ninja Gaiden evil edition Hack of Ninja Gaiden by Kamming http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1370/
I was interested in commissioning a evil edition of the second game, anyone interested?
Also how easy would it be to alter the cut scenes, I always thought the Tecmo Theatre could do will a few edits in the second game.

John - Hearts Minds
@Heartsmindsmed
Researcher/writer/designer. Inspiring change through media, games (http://returnlearn.com ), documentaries (HMM) and posters (http://retroreloader.com )to inspire

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3388 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:43 am »
:police:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:17:38 am by Gamerhenky »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:18 am »
magictrufflez: there's a Game Genie code, though it has the side effect of making the wagon unusable.  (I don't have it handy right now, sorry.)

I found the code, but it doesn't mention anything about side effects on the wagon (it actually sounds like just the code I was looking for, minus the fact that it only works in Chap 5)--I suppose I should try it out and see what happens!

EDIT:  OK, so the only thing the code messes with is the ability to change party members in battle (although I believe they'll still jump out of the wagon if your first party is wiped and you have access to the wagon--have not tested that though).  Everything else works the same still with the wagon as far as I can tell--which is nice because I try to never really change party members in battle anyways

This increases the quality of live for this game drastically--thanks Reiska!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:44:35 am by magictrufflez »

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: October 24, 2016, 12:20:03 pm »
Is there a hack which removes the Anti-Piracy measure from Megaman X1? It is getting on my nerves when I wish to play it.
Shot at something which blocks your shot and the level ends.

There are several more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIKCOVtKgjg

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:29 pm »
Is there a hack which removes the Anti-Piracy measure from Megaman X1? It is getting on my nerves when I wish to play it.
Shot at something which blocks your shot and the level ends.

There are several more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIKCOVtKgjg
Is there a reason for removing it? Any decent emulator will not trigger those anti-piracy checks.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: October 24, 2016, 03:15:04 pm »
I've seen there are already a few romhacks for New Super Mario Bros, but knows what this game really needs?
A "Press Select to drop the reserve item instead of having to tap it"!

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: October 24, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »
I've seen there are already a few romhacks for New Super Mario Bros, but knows what this game really needs?
A "Press Select to drop the reserve item instead of having to tap it"!

Afaik there is no way to save the extra item like SBW, just you get flowers after mushroom or double mushroom..

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:56 pm »
Afaik there is no way to save the extra item like SBW, just you get flowers after mushroom or double mushroom..
There is, it's in the lower screen, on the right side (the star coins are on the left), but you have to TAP to drop them. There are Super Mushroom, Flower, Mega Mushroom, Mini Mushroom and Blue Shell. Also, another thing.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: October 25, 2016, 10:16:03 am »
There have been a few touchscreen to dpad hacks and this would be similar to those.  If a guide to the concepts involved is wanted then https://web.archive.org/web/20110604163902/http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html , you could also pull apart the various zelda dpad patches and maybe also guitar hero, though it is a tiny bit different.
Your main problem is there are a few hacks that fiddle with the assembly code already out there, http://nsmbhd.net/forum/8-asm-hacking/ being a good start, so you might have to figure out a way to make it stack properly.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: October 25, 2016, 10:20:50 am »
Something that always bugged me within Final Fantasy VI is the difference with Celes's artwork appearance to her in game appearance. Her more than any other character. What I'd like to see is that she keeps that sprite, but changes to her Amano artwork version during the World Of Ruin since here green leotard was her general's outfit.
Not impossible.  In theory, someone could use the GBA ones (after color correcting that is) or downscale the Steam/Mobile ones a lot.

butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: October 25, 2016, 11:25:12 pm »
would anyone be interested in hacking rings of power for the genesis/megadrive so it saves sram instead of eeprom? an hack like the megaman wily wars and wonderboy in monster world would be great because they play well saving to sram instead of eeprom.
 the main reason i ask is because there is no eeprom support for rings of power on the mega everdrive flash cart old or new version and it's a shame because unlike a lot of the old sports games which use eeprom to save rings of power is the type of game which is useless without saves.
 the game may play ok using the mega everdrive save state funstion but if not there would eb a lot of hours wasted trying to beat the game.
 any interest in this would be great, i have asked around about it before but nobody seems interested in fixing the save type fo this game.

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3398 on: October 27, 2016, 01:05:35 am »
a Shovel Knight Hack based on Zelda 2 Adventure of Link would be nice

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: October 27, 2016, 11:19:58 am »
I had an idea for a sequel for FF6 in similar fashion to FF4 The After Years.

This is a good general idea for a complete hack. The idea of the contract could benefit the characters in the way that they could "Fuse" with an Esper. Outside magic learning, fusing with an esper allow a new command for the character where an attack is chosen among five specific to that Esper. This could be done by menu or cast randomly. The attacks would be themed with the Esper and the Esper summon would be among the 5 attacks that could be buff/debuff/healing as well. Pair that idea with BNW Esper restriction patch and it opens the way to new game balance and combat approach.

We are implementing a similar idea in our community FF6 hack but only for a single new character.