News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2425426 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3300 on: September 24, 2016, 01:31:30 am »
Mega Man X5

Remove all in-stage dialogues.

From X6 onwards you only get a notice and have to press select if you want to read the navigator's dialogue, but in X5 it simply stops you each time. That's a lot of interrumptions.

I did experiment with it a bit... and made a custom save file that starts right after the intro stage with all the dialogues flags marked as seen. I simply went through all stages with both characters once, while freezing the "days" countdown that go down each time you visit a stage with a gameshark code. It got the work done, but it's an awkward way to start a new game. I'm sure there should be more elegant solution with an actual hack, specially since the game does mark a dialogue as seen and won't show them twice, even after reseting (gets marked on your savefile... hence why my savefile works). So it's a matter of finding those flags in each case... but I have no clue how to do find them.

Also:

Always start with both character bonuses (Zero's buster attack, X's fourth armor)

It's so weird that you only get one. I understand that starting with X is labeled as easy mode in the new game screen, so the armor is an intended advantage.... But having to skip Zero's buster is just annoying. It's not even that powerful, it's just cool to have on very specific situations.

... Still, my most wanted Mega Man hack still is uncensoring all Mega Man Zero series's blood effects from the JP version ::)

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:21 am »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:21:48 am by RandomHeretic »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: September 24, 2016, 08:56:32 am »
Super Mario All-Stars + World

I am requesting a  patch to make the sprites in SMB3 portion of the game to include white gloves on Mario and Luigi, similar to the sprites in Super Mario Advance 4.

I'm willing to provide compensation through Paypal. Message me or reply if interested.

This honestly should be super easy to do even for a beginner.  Pretty sure it's just a matter of recoloring the pixels, which are free to edit for EVERY character, in All-Stars using pretty much any tile editor like Tile Molester and such.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: September 24, 2016, 11:41:50 am »
Mad City title screen to The Adventures of Bayou Billy

Unfortunately, the title screen still says Mad City.  Not a deal breaker, but It'd be really cool if there was an addendum to this translation that also converted the title screen.

Good work Mad City was a nostalgic game for me..

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #3304 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:02 am »
I'm still looking to see if it's possible to mute the BGM in Megaman 2 (GB) and retain the sound effects. I asked about this on nesdev and got what may be a promising lead:

"I don't know GB assembly enough to look at the ROM, but there's a possibility this could work:
get the GBS rip
get the music play routine, disassemble it to find out if it's a code stub added by the ripper (for the init it probably is, so get the real address from this code)
replace all the calls to that address with NOPs

If removing play doesn't work, try the same thing with the init address instead.

But if that same address initializes/plays sound effects too, or is otherwise still needed, then it's going to be significantly more complicated."

So with that in mind,

The Megaman 2 GBS file can be found here:
https://ocremix.org/chip/342

and the original rom for disassembly purposes can be found through a simple google search. Not gonna direct link to it in this case.

Hopefully there is someone out there with the knowledge to do what was suggested with these files. Thanks!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: September 25, 2016, 10:18:18 pm »
In "the first Mickey Mouse game on Game Boy" (I'm assuming they mean Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 1, I'm not sure HOW the British managed to confuse the two  ;D ), anyone know how to turn dogs into fire hydrants? :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: September 25, 2016, 11:14:56 pm »
What if we took that cruddy Animorphs GBC game that tried to be a Pokemon clone, and turned it into a game in which you lead a crusade of animals against PETA?  :D

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: September 26, 2016, 11:08:53 am »
I recall the MM2 GB music was discussed around here before.

Instead of muting the music altogether, dropping it around an octave made a huge difference (based on some examples floating around on YouTube). I'm not sure how feasible this is for an actual hack, but the music did sound much better / closer to probably what was originally intended... almost like this was some bug/issue that was never resolved before release.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
What if we took that cruddy Animorphs GBC game that tried to be a Pokemon clone, and turned it into a game in which you lead a crusade of animals against PETA?  :D

Oh my god I completely forgot that Animorphs game existed. It'd be great to see Pokemon-themed hack of it to take it to the next level.

Or even better, a Terminator themed Animorphs hack where the animals are changed to famous people and you must complete Skynet's plan of world domination.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: September 26, 2016, 04:32:48 pm »
I recall the MM2 GB music was discussed around here before.

Instead of muting the music altogether, dropping it around an octave made a huge difference (based on some examples floating around on YouTube). I'm not sure how feasible this is for an actual hack, but the music did sound much better / closer to probably what was originally intended... almost like this was some bug/issue that was never resolved before release.

I googled it and I'm very impressed of how much better it is after just a pitch correction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-722ZHbAbo

I remember the first time I player it on a cart I got used, on Super Game Boy. My first reaction was thinking that something was wrong -- either a SGB sound problem, like I've had with other games, or the used cart I got was a bad clone or something. Turns out the game just sounded plain bad!

+1 to this idea. An in-game pitch correction would make this game PLAYABLE for me. (I finished all other 4 games at some point, but this one was unsufferable just because of the music).

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: September 26, 2016, 11:21:32 pm »
He doesn't implement that (I think) but i will take a look at that later.

He did add B Button dashing except it turns off if a character is following you to prevent glitches.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: September 27, 2016, 12:18:23 am »
I just noticed there are some Dynasty Warriors games for PSP that NEVER got translated... One of them is Shin Sangoku Musou 6 Special (somehow known as "Dynasty Warriors 7 Special). There are translations of DW7 and Xtreme Legends around the web, along with the actual game getting a translation, but the PSP one is "dust in the wind".

Same for Sengoku Musou 3 Z Special

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: September 27, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »
Various JRPG (though I'd personally love to have thins on the GBA Final Fantasy releases, specially IV)

A replay-friendly tweak: add a "No Random Battles" to the menu, like the modern Final Fantasy ports do :laugh:

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3313 on: September 27, 2016, 04:26:07 pm »
I was just playing Castlevania: The Adventure, it'd be cool if someone can have Simon walk fast like in CV1 and when an enemy hits you, you don't downgrade on your whip.  :D :D :D 

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: September 27, 2016, 10:12:02 pm »
After watching the Top 5 Satellaviews from Kiddo Cabbusses, I thought up this idea: What if Sailor Moon: Another Story had an MSU hack itself?

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:09 pm »
I've always felt like the NES MacVenture games Uninvited and Shadowgate should have been bigger games, and now that games are emulated, they can be as big as anyone wants them to be.  There's no limited space in cartridges that people have to deal with.  I wish people could make more rooms and more things to explore, and possibly more tracks as well.  Especially in Uninvited.  I always felt like the mansion is way too small, and if you know what you're doing, you can complete the game ridiculously quickly.  I wish the game were at least 4 times as big.  I mean, at LEAST have a basement... the game had so much potential, but it's just too short, and too small.  I also feel like the Mansion Room (Upstairs) 2 music is waaaaaaaaaay too upbeat, and they should have composed something more creepy, like Mansion Room 1 (Daylight).  Someone should really compose another track for that, if not come up with even more tracks for the game, probably mainly for the custom created rooms, if someone is going to take my idea.  I love both Uninvited and Shadowgate, and I want to love them more.  I really hope someone can take this idea.
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: September 28, 2016, 12:04:52 am »
I was just playing Castlevania: The Adventure, it'd be cool if someone can have Simon walk fast like in CV1 and when an enemy hits you, you don't downgrade on your whip.  :D :D :D
You do know that these hacks have been made already, right? At least one of them is.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: September 28, 2016, 10:04:47 am »
You do know that these hacks have been made already, right? At least one of them is.
All the Gameboy CV games have them I believe.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: September 28, 2016, 11:03:47 am »
All the Gameboy CV games have them I believe.

They all do:

Castlevania Adventure:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/190/

Castlevania II - Belmont's Revenge:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/213/

Castlevania Legends:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/211/

I even included those hacks in my autoboot hacks for both Konami Collection Vol 1 and Vol 4.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:28 am »
I already made a hack that does that for castlevania adventure. Someone else made speed hacks for cv 2 and legends also. They are on the site.