News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2469718 times)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3280 on: September 21, 2016, 02:38:18 pm »
G.I. Joe hack idea is Contra Fighter (Bootleg) with some changes plot, enemies, graphic, etc. But the characters are still from Street Fighter and including Bill Rizer or different character as you wish. I called it Contra Fighter Redux.

For G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor is the Super Contra 5 (Bootleg) with some another changes to plot, graphic, enemies, etc. (Everything is all Contra).

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 21, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »
Legend of Mana - Remove or mute the annoying stepping noise whenever your character moves around. Hearing that same "putputput" noise no matter what surface you're running on gets nerve wracking, and is immensely worse if you try playing the game on Wiisx (in that case it sounds like you're stepping on pterodactyls the entire time).
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: September 21, 2016, 04:54:07 pm »
Not sure if I should post this here since it's a thing that I'm actually ''doing'' (I'm researching what is what in Castlevania's code and making GFX), but it will probably abandon it
at one point in time like I usually do with my projects and I'm very bad with 6502, but here goes:
Basicaly I'm making 2 Castlevania 1 hacks that have SotN inspired GFX and music (2 hacks for 2 castles,
second castle won't be inverted).
These are changes besides GFX and music that I wan't to implement:

-1.Bosses
I have many ideas for bosses, but most of them are likely to change.
Still, here are some that I want to implement for sure:
-Slogra and Gaibon
Spoiler:
This one should actualy be fairly easy. They are at the end of Alchemy lab.
I'm thinking about making Gaibon a sprite edit of Phantom bat, and Slogra would be a sprite edit of Axe armor.
-Richter Belmont [has a mockup]
Spoiler:
Final boss of the first hack: http://www.mediafire.com/view/n04ksqnfqog9kjw/Richtar.png
Basicaly he is a sprite edit of Mummy with a bit smaller hitbox and has double the health of a Mummy, it would be required to change the way how Mummy's projectiles behave and their GFX. They would have bigger lenght of hitbox and sprite, and would stay in place and dissapear almost istantly after they are spawned. I am not entirely sure about what to do about his subweapons and second form(I don't want him to be anticlimatic).
-Minotaur and Werewolf
Spoiler:
Bosses of Colosseum, I acually thought about Fake Hunters being bosses of this area but I need Mummy boss for Richter and Maria so there won't be Trevor(unless Mumy uses different GFX on different stages) and besides with 3 enemies on a small screen it would be a cheap difficulty, especialy with Grant (Igor) jumping around whole time. Sprite edit of Frankenstein and Igor with small changes to behaviour, hitbox and sprite size of the Werewolf.

-2.Alucard's sword
Spoiler:
Since Alucard would be a main character it would be fitting that he attacks with a sword.
Thus, lenght of whip's sprite and hitbox would be smaller but the attack would be faster. I'm also thinking about whip/sword upgrades being found only in 2 places in their hacks, but being kept after death so that they feel a bit like weapons in SotN, but this will be hard to do because I would have to rewrite drop system of some enemies.

-3.Changes to subweapons
Spoiler:
I definetly want to remake dagger into something more useful, maybe some of Alucard spells, I'm not sure about other weapons though, but it would be nice if Stopwatch was usable during later boss fights, but in a way that it isn't overpowered.

-4.Classicvania to Metroidvania [very unlikely]
Spoiler:
SotN coined the term metroidvania so it would be unfair if it wasn't one here as well. However, when Optomon and Dr. Mario tried to do the same with Castlevania 3 it crashed the editor so I wouldn't be suprised if same happens here. Also it's some hard programming.

Well that's basicaly it, honestly I feel that some things are a bit eccentric but I like them that way.
If I actually finish this hack (possibility of that is barely a 2 digit percentage) it will be in a few years since I'm helping some people with their projects and I have a limited free time.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:48 am »
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64): A hack that would restore the two missing dungeons the "Wind Temple" and "Ice Temple" back to this game along with adding new enemies, bosses, items and story plot to them as well.

Castlevania Dracula X (Super NES): A complete overhaul hack that would change the entire game to become a Super NES port of the PC-Engine port.

Metroid Prime (GameCube): A hack that would restore both the unused Kraid boss and the unused Samus monologue for the opening sequence back to the game.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GameCube): A hack that would restore the two missing dungeons and it would also add the Swift Sail from the HD release as well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:14:39 pm by SCD »

Syco54645

• View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:08 am »
How about a b-button run added to the FF3j translation by Alex W. Jackson, Neill Corlett, SoM2Freak? http://www.romhacking.net/translations/141/
Would make for a much better experience. I see the expanded translation has it but it would be nice if the most popular translation had it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: September 22, 2016, 12:31:31 pm »
Did Chaos Rush' translation do a B-Button dash?
What did he do with the original function (use items on NPCs)?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: September 22, 2016, 01:05:44 pm »
This is a hack or re-translation request.

I'm a swede and sweden have a few games that has been translated into swedish.

however the translations for Sword of Hope and Shadowgate are horrible.

In shadow gate the letter Å (prounounced Oh) is not used at all, instead all places where the letter should be is replaced by the letter Ä (prounounced Eh) also every single item is in predetermined form like (The Sword, the Skull and The Potion.)

so my request is to remake the Swedish version of Shadowgate and sword of hope to actually made sense when read i swedish.
Only the commands are affected by the Å and Ä mistake, the actual script appears to be fine. I have never played through the Swedish release but after a quick second look (I previously thought as you did) the translation seems to be surprisingly faithful to the North American NES version, which itself uses a rewritten and somewhat simplified script of the original Mac version.

The Å and Ä error is a very easy fix. Just open the game in a Hex Editor and at offset $19F55, change D7 to D6. And at offset $19FF2, change D7 to D6. As for the actual script, the game probably uses some form of compression so that may be a lot of work and tough to figure out.

Syco54645

• View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: September 22, 2016, 02:08:23 pm »

I have not played the Chaos Rush version yet however last night I thought I read that it did. Perhaps not... I cannot find it now.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3288 on: September 22, 2016, 02:25:31 pm »
I have not played the Chaos Rush version yet however last night I thought I read that it did. Perhaps not... I cannot find it now.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2701/

Syco54645

• View Profile

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3290 on: September 22, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »
Sorry meant the reference to the b button running.

He doesn't implement that (I think) but i will take a look at that later.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 22, 2016, 04:26:52 pm »
Only the commands are affected by the Å and Ä mistake, the actual script appears to be fine. I have never played through the Swedish release but after a quick second look (I previously thought as you did) the translation seems to be surprisingly faithful to the North American NES version, which itself uses a rewritten and somewhat simplified script of the original Mac version.

The Å and Ä error is a very easy fix. Just open the game in a Hex Editor and at offset $19F55, change D7 to D6. And at offset $19FF2, change D7 to D6. As for the actual script, the game probably uses some form of compression so that may be a lot of work and tough to figure out.

Thank you very much, i seem to have mixed-up the Shadowgate and Sword of Hope translations.

After watching a let's play, the story text seem really well made actually, however the commands and items might need some grammar fixes.

Sword of hope on the other hand is terrible.

a quote from the game "Du Ser bröst vill du öppna bröst?"

which translates into "You See breast do you want to open breast?"

I think the orginal lines was "You see a chest do you want to open the chest"

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 22, 2016, 05:28:28 pm »

Maybe it's possible to implement an A-Button dash? That way the B-Button's original function wouldn't be compromised.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 22, 2016, 06:21:06 pm »
Someone should make a hack of Double Dragon Advance that skips the added levels and just leave the arcade levels. And then adjust the mission number text when you beat and start a level.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 22, 2016, 08:42:04 pm »
Maybe it's possible to implement an A-Button dash? That way the B-Button's original function wouldn't be compromised.
I think Select was the only button without a significant purpose (change the party member visible on-screen).

The only way I can think of B-Button dash to work would be like "HOLD B and press direction to dash" and "PRESS B AND RELEASE for item menu".
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: September 22, 2016, 10:11:49 pm »
I would like to see a standalone hack for Mario Kart DS that would replace Dry Bones with Koopa Troopa from the recent released MKDS N64 Circuit hack. If someone can do that, that would be great.

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 23, 2016, 09:10:18 am »
Thank you very much, i seem to have mixed-up the Shadowgate and Sword of Hope translations.

After watching a let's play, the story text seem really well made actually, however the commands and items might need some grammar fixes.

Sword of hope on the other hand is terrible.

a quote from the game "Du Ser bröst vill du öppna bröst?"

which translates into "You See breast do you want to open breast?"

I think the orginal lines was "You see a chest do you want to open the chest"
Yeah, the translation definitely have some issues, I'd guess the way the inventory lists the items in Shadowgate have to do with what it says when you actually pick them up - the game simply grab the names from the same single dictionary I presume. It's obviously not a problem in English but in Swedish it doesn't work.

Didn't know about the Sword of Hope example. Will have to look at that game, sounds hilarious. The lack of context for translators can really produce some awful and memorable lines.  :laugh:

Syco54645

• View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 23, 2016, 09:45:07 am »
That would work as well.

I think Select was the only button without a significant purpose (change the party member visible on-screen).

The only way I can think of B-Button dash to work would be like "HOLD B and press direction to dash" and "PRESS B AND RELEASE for item menu".

This is honestly how I thought it would work. Like I said I thought someone had implemented this already so in my mind this is how it was working.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 23, 2016, 11:56:11 am »
Here's a weird one I thought up: An all female characters version of Mario 2 with Rosalina, Daisy, and Toadette taking Mario, Luigi, and Toad's roles with the ending being changed from Mario dreaming to a Luma being the one dreaming of it.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: September 23, 2016, 04:39:26 pm »
Here's a weird one I thought up: An all female characters version of Mario 2 with Rosalina, Daisy, and Toadette taking Mario, Luigi, and Toad's roles with the ending being changed from Mario dreaming to a Luma being the one dreaming of it.

That's a cute idea with Luma!

My friend and I did actually discuss a female version of that once with.. pretty much those exact characters.  We got around to getting Daisy sprited and an old Rosalina one but didn't go much further. (Though, this was the SNES version in All-Stars which we DID actually make it boot up to SMB2 right away and all other graphic and most code data pertaining to the other games has been completely removed).

Unfortunately, there'd have to be some SERIOUS graphical hacking to allow Rosalina especially with her height.  MB2's system is ridiculously hardcoded yet simplistic, but a pain in the ass to work with.

If I can get around to fine-tuning what I have, I'll release it.  It completely overhauls the PC graphics to allow for much bigger sprites and a heck of a lot more animations, though, since it's my first time ever doing a system from scratch, it's pretty buggy and not improved to the best it could be.  I'd like to go back to it sometime and figure it out.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'