News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2425561 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #3080 on: August 01, 2016, 11:13:25 pm »
I wanted to ask some questions for a while now, but I don't know if I can ask the question here.

Whenever I see the rom hacks from this site, and from other site, I see that the majority of the rom hacks are for classic consoles, and to a lesser extent, Windows PC games (mostly translations) and MSX (which was a computer made by Microsoft of Japan, in the 80's).

But I wanna ask, do people make rom hacks for DOS games, and other old computer games like Commodore 64, Amiga, Tandy, etc.? Is it possible for people to hack old DOS games, the same way they hack NES or SMS games?

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3081 on: August 02, 2016, 08:40:17 am »
I wanna all Wizardry Gaiden Gameboy Trilogy to have a color hack because some emulator can't be played in color. (This should be work on Tangyi_Chang translation) :thumbsup:

EDIT: Mark Patraw website is useful for colorizing the monster in Gaiden I & II.

EDIT2: That video it just the custom palette (Dark Green).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:30:59 am by Gamerhenky »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: August 02, 2016, 01:09:34 pm »
If I recall correctly that the Old Might & Magic games for DOS did have Mods (or would it be hacks??). I think it should be possible, but it requires a bit more extra work to do.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: August 02, 2016, 02:09:38 pm »
But I wanna ask, do people make rom hacks for DOS games, and other old computer games like Commodore 64, Amiga, Tandy, etc.? Is it possible for people to hack old DOS games, the same way they hack NES or SMS games?

Many things you will see there are mods for things with level editors and also things which have since had source code released or remade.

Still "understand file format and programming used by game, edit said file formats and programming" works just as well for X86 as it does for MOS, 68K, ARM, MIPS or Z80. Debugging might be slightly different as you tend not to run things within a fully self contained emulator, though with some tweaks on dosbox and if you prefer a virtual machine you can do that if you really want. That is OK though as slightly older X86 has probably the best and most comprehensive options for debugging of any platform, IDA is the thing most geared towards it but you have many many other alternatives. Tile editing is not really a thing as PC graphics are not really a fixed target like they are for consoles ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc ) and high level formats were not unpopular, you still have the concepts of tiles, textures, text, audio, 2d graphics, 3d graphics* and whatnot to consider.
http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Game_File_Format_Central also is a thing and much of it is concerned with PC games.

*if the dos era ended with windows 3.11 or you want to go into the 9X era then there are a variety of 3d formats that are not opengl or directx/direct3d. For my money the big two are 3dfx and s3 virge.

Unlike consoles and this place then many things will instead happen as a genre (things like visual novels or doom clones) or individual game effort (I mentioned source remakes already but individual games themselves have things) or indeed older level editors being expanded to cater to more modern sensibilities.

So yeah if you know what we do/teach/practice here you can probably jump into DOS era stuff well enough, PCs of the time were not necessarily more powerful than consoles or arcade ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YreEwtV7D0 ) and again you have level formats and operating systems on top of things to consider, which is probably where your barrier to entry will be.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: August 02, 2016, 04:26:59 pm »
I wanted to ask some questions for a while now, but I don't know if I can ask the question here.

Whenever I see the rom hacks from this site, and from other site, I see that the majority of the rom hacks are for classic consoles, and to a lesser extent, Windows PC games (mostly translations) and MSX (which was a computer made by Microsoft of Japan, in the 80's).

I've been doing a text hack of Oregon Trail For Apple II if that counts.  :)

And from what I've read, the Apple II uses a similar (perhaps the same?) assembly language as the NES.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3085 on: August 02, 2016, 04:56:51 pm »
A Super Mario Kart hack with these 80's icons, and throw in some music from the 1980's... :crazy:

And the other drivers could be from the 1980's, too. :D

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: August 03, 2016, 04:08:39 am »
A single ISO version of Grand Theft Auto: Mission Pack #1 - London 1969

GTA London 1969 was the first and only expansion back released on the platform.  It was not a stand-alone game.  You literally had to already own Grand Theft Auto 1 to play it.  After the initial boot, the game requests that you put Grand Theft Auto into your CD tray.  After accessing the necessary data from the original GTA disc, it then asks you to place the London 1969 disc back into the tray to finish booting.

I've always found this tremendously unnecessary on a console.  It's annoying to boot the game and have to go through this rigmarole every single time.  I have difficulty believing that London 1969 couldn't have been its own stand alone, as if the necessary bits of data required from GTA wouldn't have fit onto a single disc.

Is it possible to compile a single ISO to play this game without all the hassle?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: August 03, 2016, 10:21:56 am »
A Super Mario Kart hack with these 80's icons, and throw in some music from the 1980's... :crazy:

And the other drivers could be from the 1980's, too. :D
And don't forget, with extra explosions.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: August 03, 2016, 05:09:41 pm »
A single ISO version of Grand Theft Auto: Mission Pack #1 - London 1969

GTA London 1969 was the first and only expansion back released on the platform.  It was not a stand-alone game.  You literally had to already own Grand Theft Auto 1 to play it.  After the initial boot, the game requests that you put Grand Theft Auto into your CD tray.  After accessing the necessary data from the original GTA disc, it then asks you to place the London 1969 disc back into the tray to finish booting.

I've always found this tremendously unnecessary on a console.  It's annoying to boot the game and have to go through this rigmarole every single time.  I have difficulty believing that London 1969 couldn't have been its own stand alone, as if the necessary bits of data required from GTA wouldn't have fit onto a single disc.

Is it possible to compile a single ISO to play this game without all the hassle?

According to GameFAQS, there was a "Special Edition" release in EU which the game was sold as a standalone game.
So presumably a similar hack could be done to the NTSC version?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TheJudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: August 04, 2016, 08:43:12 am »
I need help with a project. The videogame Digimon World 2003 (forget Digimon World 3, which is an inferior version with less content) is a game great in design, music, gameplay, etc., but completely ruined by the unneccessarily long grinds needed to get money and experience. I have beaten the game before and I would like to do so again, but I remember the horrible hours of grinding I had to sacrifice last time. A very simple hack would turn this game into one of the best RPGs on the Playstation: 3x the experience points earned from battles and 3x the money earned from battles. A simple solution that would transform the quality of a game completely. I just don't know how to do it myself.

In short words:
Can a nice soul hack Digimon World 2003 (not Digimon World 3) and triple the amount of experience and money earned from battles?

In case someone says "would it not be enough to double it?", then no. The grind needed to beat the game is more than twice too much. To triple it is perfect. Keeps it just as challenging as before, while saving your time. And the one who completes this project will have done something legendary for all Digimon fans in the world.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:17:58 pm by MathOnNapkins »

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: August 04, 2016, 10:14:44 am »
According to GameFAQS, there was a "Special Edition" release in EU which the game was sold as a standalone game.
So presumably a similar hack could be done to the NTSC version?
I have that and its a 3 disc set witih GTA 1,2 and London along with some posters and stuf.  Its quite nice and that.

Been reading up about Harambe the Gorilla and would think that would make an excellent hack to the original Donkey Kong, you could replace Pauline with a little kid and Jumpman with a zookeeper. 
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: August 05, 2016, 05:22:08 pm »
I want to give some ideas for hacking Goof Troop for Snes, this adventure coop game was really fun in the time, and wanted to see custom levels or other for it..

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: August 05, 2016, 06:41:13 pm »
I wish there were a Super Mario Land 1 hack that saved the top score.  :angel:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: August 08, 2016, 03:10:47 pm »
Ninja Gaiden 1

Don't get sent back to 6-1 if you die on the last boss.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: August 08, 2016, 03:41:19 pm »
Wow, that sounds like a real a-hole movie by the developers of Ninja Gaiden.

Ryan914

• View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: August 08, 2016, 04:07:27 pm »
I noticed we're sorely lacking in Megaman Battle Network hacks, and I believe most of them excluding the DS version of 5 would do well to have new revisions for the fans.

For example -

Fighting Mistman.exe AND Bowlman.exe in the same game for Battle network 3. Also if I'm not mistaken there was a lot of Japanese-exclusive Battle Chips too.

I already said this in an earlier post here, the idea was to include a way to get all the battle chips without having to trade or have to bust viruses over and over again to get a specific one. Concept was a whole black market in the Undernet that could be accessed, and more kinds of chips would be more accessible as the story advanced or a special chip trader like the ones at Higsby's shop (Input 3 chips, get a random one) that dispenses Chips not normally found in the version you are playing.

Anyway:

Well a proper hack to Robopon would help that fixes the internal game clock so that it doesn't go beyond 23:00 whenever you start it up. You literally have to reset the damned clock every time you start up the ROM because if the game's clock isn't set properly, random Robopon won't show up. Also a way to get the Teardrop of Morris and other items that require a TV remote to access.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: August 08, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
I'll assume some of the Robopon are inaccessible due to only the Sun version being localized and not its companion Star?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3097 on: August 08, 2016, 05:39:15 pm »
Ninja Gaiden 1

Don't get sent back to 6-1 if you die on the last boss.

That sounds like it should be a really simple hack to do.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: August 08, 2016, 05:55:35 pm »
That is the only place in the code that explicitly sets the level number (RAM $6E as I recall). (at least I think. I think it others expects the level number to be initialized to 0 by the startup code and then it does +1/-1 during the game)
Each of the final bosses is technically a different level number, and if the current level is greater than or equal to (whatever the value for 6-4 is) it sets it to (whatever the value for 6-1 is).

It is clearly a deliberate function, but I learned don't try to tell the extreme AVGN fans it's not a big. :P (I think James is a pretty cool guy, and knowledgeable about video game but not quite gospel. :) )

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3099 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:22 pm »
Here's two hack ideas: someone could fix the controls in ghosts'n goblins and in... super pitfall. Both are micronics games with the same bug. If you press a diagonal it gives priority to ducking instead of walking. Fixing those would be simply awesome  8)