News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2846298 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2860 on: June 09, 2016, 11:31:31 am »
A hack that changes the graphics in adventure island nes to be as close as possible to wonder boy (title screen, characters, backgrounds, ending, etc).

Just a test I did. If anyone wants to do it here's a starting point.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2861 on: June 09, 2016, 11:53:02 am »
Cute!
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 09, 2016, 12:57:56 pm »
That would be a good hack to do, but what's stopping you from emulating the arcade version instead? I don't know if the NES version is superior somehow or what.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2863 on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:23 pm »
It's worse from what I've read; worse flow and more difficult.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 09, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
Also the sms version is better looking than this mockup, and contains two extra worlds compared to the arcade.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: June 09, 2016, 04:50:06 pm »
Someone may have already made this but...

A version of Duck Hunt where you can shoot the dog.

Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: June 09, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »
The arcade (VS.) version has a bonus round (and another, obscure, Zapper game called Barker Bill's Trick Shooting).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: June 09, 2016, 10:17:48 pm »
Of course, you fail the bonus round if you hit the dog, which somewhat lessens the catharsis factor...

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:51 am »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:45:21 pm by FCandChill »

jhorsfield30

• John @ Return learn gaming
    • View Profile
    • Return learn gaming
« Reply #2869 on: June 10, 2016, 10:31:11 am »
looks really cute. I always thought the original sprite was weird because I could never make out exactly what the face was supposed to be. By the way, every game you touch graphically is gold. Self taught?
i thought it was fake ever since I heard about it.
- Would be great to see this!
I wanted to ask if anyone has commissioned (paid) for  a hack of a game on this forum?
John - Hearts Minds
@Heartsmindsmed
Researcher/writer/designer. Inspiring change through media, games (http://returnlearn.com ), documentaries (HMM) and posters (http://retroreloader.com )to inspire

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2870 on: June 10, 2016, 10:35:55 am »
Thanks. When it comes to games I'm self taught yes, but I've been working as a technical artist for games for over 10 years now. I just had never done pixel art, I did mostly 3D games and flash games.

The thing about wonder boy on the NES is that wonder boy is the better version, but NES is our system of choice and it always felt bad not to have the true wonder boy on the NES. I think it's the old console wars talking here (sega vs nintendo). I have played wonder boy arcade countless times and I owned adventure island on the NES, so it isn't for nothing that the idea grew on me. But I won't do it because I have other priorities, so I decided to post here.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:05 am »
You know, for some reason, when I think of the Link to the Past GBA hack, for some reason, I was thinking about replacing young Link's voice with Adult Link's to match his adult incarnation. But that's just me.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:04 pm »
If you're doing Adventure Island -> Wonder Boy then you have to do the music too, since Adventure Island has a different soundtrack.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:28 pm »
You know, for some reason, when I think of the Link to the Past GBA hack, for some reason, I was thinking about replacing young Link's voice with Adult Link's to match his adult incarnation. But that's just me.

I'd love to see this happen. He's much closer to an adult in LttP than a child. Plus, looking at art from the Snes Manual, he looks like he'd be between 16-20 something anyway.

Not to mention the adult voice would sound better and be waaaaay less annoying to hear.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Ryan914

• View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: June 10, 2016, 02:50:33 pm »
Mega Man Battle Network 3-6

Those games require you to get all the chips from both games to advance in the optional dungeon either via chip catalog or Program Advances or some other method.

So why not have a Black Market for that stuff in the Undernet? The further you are in the game's story, the more that become accessible. Hell even a Black Market in general for all the games would help instead of having to constantly bust a certain virus to get the data for the chips. (I'm looking at you Battle Network 1's Dropdown)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: June 10, 2016, 03:05:56 pm »
Mega Man Battle Network 3-6

Those games require you to get all the chips from both games to advance in the optional dungeon either via chip catalog or Program Advances or some other method.

So why not have a Black Market for that stuff in the Undernet? The further you are in the game's story, the more that become accessible. Hell even a Black Market in general for all the games would help instead of having to constantly bust a certain virus to get the data for the chips. (I'm looking at you Battle Network 1's Dropdown)
I was thinking the other day about what would basically be Battle Network Emu Editions.  I'm kind of surprised no one's done this actually, since there are a couple of bugfix patches for the more infamous cases ("legs go!" for example).  I'm probably not the guy to do this however, I've barely played some of them though I intend to play them all one day.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: June 10, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »
Not to mention the adult voice would sound better and be waaaaay less annoying to hear.

Why not just get rid of the voice since it is a completely unnecessary addition?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: June 11, 2016, 09:48:42 am »
Virtual Pro Wrestling (Sony PlayStation): A hack that would change all the text in this game to English, but it would keep all the fake names for all the wrestlers. It would also change the color of Hulk Hogan's hair from brown to blond in both of his character model and portrait as well.

Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium (Super Nintendo): A hack that would disable the lumberjack rule in battle royal so you can fight outside of the ring and a English translation hack that would keep all the fake names for all the wrestlers as well.

Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy): A hack that would add colors to it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:44:08 am by SCD »

Poppler

• View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: June 13, 2016, 03:40:24 am »
With the recent Pyron color hacks and sound improvements to the Sega genesis hacking, I have a few hack ideas worth trying  :)

- Recolor Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair and Mega Bomberman. You can see some comparison examples between Genesis and PC Engine here: retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons-Monster-Lair.html http://retro-sanctuary.com/Comparisons-Mega-Bomberman.html
Wonder Boy III on the Genesis, in my opinion, is a better game than the arcade, with better music and pacing.

- Alien Storm: Recolor it more similar to the arcade game. Add arcade voices (like the Altered Beast hack) If possible, edit some graphics to improve it a bit.

- Altered Beast: Add an options screen with a sound test, difficulty options, etc. Fix the sprites cut in the transformation screens and port the intermission arcade graphics instead of the reescaled ones.

- Dynamite Headdy: adjust the difficulty level of the US version to make it the same of the japanese version. I personally like better the US version. Yes, even I think cutting the text dialogues was a good decision! :P

- Earthworm Jim: port some graphic changes from the Sega CD version. I think the new levels make the game more boring. In Earthworm Jim 2 remove Puppy Love stage version 2 and 3.

- Eternal Champions: skip SEGA logo and be able to continue in the last fight against Eternal Champion.

- Fantastic Dizzy: add the option to save the game.

- Ghostbusters: Recolor it to make a brighter palette and fix the annoying bug of the music restarting everytime you go to the pause screen.

- Ghouls'n Ghosts: Excelent conversion with better music than the arcade game. It might benefit of adding the arcade intro and edit some graphics to make it better. I believe the Supergrafx has the same resolution, so maybe there can be some edits made easily? Also, fix the translation.

- Gynoug: make it a shorter game? I think levels drag for too long.

- Thunderforce IV: better voices. Fix the music slowdown.

- A definitive version of Sonic 1 with spindash and smooth rotating bonus levels. A definitive version of Sonic 2 with better enemy placement (specially Metropolis Zone)

Also, some Snes ideas! ;)

- Actraiser 1 & 2: remove religious censorship.

- Adventures of Batman & Robin: Add the option to skip dialogues.

- Axelay: make it bright by deffault. Add more lives and also don't lose your weapons after being hit (but you still have 3 hits)

- Super Castlevania IV: remove censhorship, except for the blood (I don't think it looks good, and the japanese intro is pretty tasteless)

- Super Ghouls'n Ghosts: Remove censorship, make the level 2 raft scene shorter, rebalance difficulty, and if possible, improve sound samples.

- Super Mario All Stars + World: Add the Game Boy Advance graphical improvements (and game intros) to the snes games.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:29:52 pm by Poppler »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: June 13, 2016, 09:21:40 am »
Those are great ideas you have there, though I would like the blood to be change back to red in Super Castlevania IV.

I never knew they censored Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts until I checked out the article on TCRF: https://tcrf.net/Super_Ghouls%27n_Ghosts#Version_Differences

If someone can decensor the cross on all the coffins and change Sardius back to Samael, that would be awesome.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:31:46 am by SCD »