News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2846137 times)

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2840 on: June 02, 2016, 02:45:55 am »
I'm still not buying that Crimson Echoes was a real C&D and not an attention grab.
Why would SE care about that particular ROM hack out of the hundreds of other CT hacks?

He probably told Square they were going to sell it.

BTW, what hundreds of CT hacks? You must be thinking of SMW. :)

EDIT: Or the millions of FFVI bug fixes since it is apparently the most bugged game in existence. :P
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 02, 2016, 11:09:27 am »
I too would like to know where all these Chrono Trigger hacks are hiding!   Besides Prophet's Guile and Flames of Eternity and a couple small hacks like the Coliseum hack, I really don't know of any outside of the spoof/difficulty catagories.

I'm also kind of surprised there was never a disgruntled CE member that ratted out FoE to Square, seeing as that team is trying to sell it. Last time I checked out thier blog for an update (was hoping they had worked on that Glenn sprite some more) all their updates was about selling the hack with something called a Raspberry Pi or something.

Wiith that chunk o' gossip out of the way:

Grand Theft Auto: Fourside City Stories - a hack of Earthbound that takes elements and themes from GTA and mixes them together with the kind of bizarre fun that only Earthbound can provide!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 02, 2016, 01:20:25 pm »
I'm also kind of surprised there was never a disgruntled CE member that ratted out FoE to Square, seeing as that team is trying to sell it. Last time I checked out thier blog for an update (was hoping they had worked on that Glenn sprite some more) all their updates was about selling the hack with something called a Raspberry Pi or something.
Wow, I didn't know that was going on.  This is actually pretty funny because I heard some say it uses a ZSNES exploit for some music similar to old SMW hacks.  Doesn't that (outside of the obvious fact that they're selling a hack) amount to knowingly selling a defective product in a way?

Anyway yeah, moving on.  You know what would be cool speaking of CT?  A Doctor Who themed thing.  I remember seeing this as an ending in CE, but I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard of anyone attempting a project with the idea yet for even fooling around.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:38:38 pm by Chronosplit »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: June 02, 2016, 03:32:44 pm »
Hack idea: Take Bionic Commando and give it a Lexx theme. The main character can be Kai (who swings from the brace that he uses to kill people) and if you need an excuse for him not being able to jump you could say that he is running low on proto blood or even something goofy like "The dead do not jump". LOL

The main villain could be Mantrid.

Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2844 on: June 03, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »
I approve of this idea.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2845 on: June 05, 2016, 10:41:29 am »
A hack that changes the graphics in adventure island nes to be as close as possible to wonder boy (title screen, characters, backgrounds, ending, etc).

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: June 05, 2016, 03:01:12 pm »
A hack to make blacksmithing WAY FASTER in Legend of Mana (PlayStation). Basically, cut all that hammering and cards animation sequence, that takes lots of time, just get the "finished" animation. :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: June 06, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »
Here's an idea. A game for GBA called Sigma Star Saga has a really bad bug: It's described here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/925863-sigma-star-saga/46883814

Basically if you kill enemies in a certain stage in the wrong order the enemies will loop cause your remaining enemies will be set at a negative number. Maybe someone should fix this glitch.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: June 06, 2016, 03:54:57 pm »
Speaking of glitches, there's the infamous Pierce Glitch in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.  It wasn't fixed on the virtual console release either, freezeup and all. http://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/miscellaneous/hints-and-secrets/

It was determined (from what I read in posts among FE hackers about it) that what happens is all thanks to a screwup introduced sometime during localization, related to animations.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:02:05 pm by Chronosplit »

thainferno305

• View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: June 06, 2016, 05:32:23 pm »
Can Somebody make a hack of Mortal Kombat to play as Reptile just asking its never been done ?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2850 on: June 06, 2016, 05:37:51 pm »
Wouldn't this belong in the Hack Ideas forum post? Just saying.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: June 06, 2016, 07:37:50 pm »
I had thought the rumors were false, but if they're trying to sell that pseudo-sequel...that is pretty low, and pathetic.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: June 06, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »
If you ever do wind up working on this, I'd love to be involved! I actually run a blog on Sailor Moon and have been looking at bringing more of the games out to the English world. Right now my current project is translating an interview with one of the game developers on Another Story, but I'm also trying to get the instruction books for all the games and translate those, too.

Would love to work on this and refresh the translation, since there are quite a few points I wasn't keen on in the one released.

That'd be a great idea. Heck, I'd even come to the blog to check out what the interview was about.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:31 pm »
Would you call me crazy (or stupid) that I want a hack that fixes everything* in Bubsy 3D for the PlayStation?

*When I say everything, I mean fixing the controls so he can free-roam like he was  suppose to be; fixing the camera controls to a more, real 3rd person view; fixing the jump controls; redesigning the levels so it can be more like a 3D world (see Super Mario 64, Spyro, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, etc.); redesigning the hitboxes on the enemies; resizing the enemies so they can be easier to hit; eliminating his death falls; new music so it can resemble the first or second bubsy game.

It would be like some kind of interesting project for two reasons that I thought:
    • It would be an interesting project because you would start de-sucking one of the worst games ever made.
    • And also because you would be hacking it and turning into what could've been a decent game.

I know that people are gonna start attacking me for thinking about this game, but if it'll make you feel better, not everything is about Bubsy to me.

I also wish somebody also made a hack for the controls and jump controls for Croc: Legend of the Gobbos for the PlayStation, and its sequel as well, also for the PlayStation. You'll know which Croc games I'm talking about.[/list]

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2854 on: June 06, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »
    Might sound stupid, but a hack of A Link to the Past for GBA that changes the overall art style to match Minish Cap or Four Swords would be really nice.

Also I wonder... Do you think a Four Swords Single Player hack could happen for GBA?

Kallisto

• View Profile
    « Reply #2855 on: June 08, 2016, 07:44:35 am »
    Might sound stupid, but a hack of A Link to the Past for GBA that changes the overall art style to match Minish Cap or Four Swords would be really nice.

Also I wonder... Do you think a Four Swords Single Player hack could happen for GBA?

GOD YES PLEASE! This should have been done years ago! This NEEDS to HAPPEN! Four Swords allows a extra dungeon to be accessed in LTTP, and I would love to play the game itself!

All it needs is a few edits to break the multiplayer walls.

I've been wanting someone to do this for a very long time!

FAST6191

• View Profile
    « Reply #2856 on: June 08, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »
    A few people have wanted to update Link to match the 2d incarnations. That said I have not seen much progress on them so who knows. From memory I think the lttp sprites are not quite plain so you might have to fiddle with compressed stuff, nothing major on the GBA but still annoying.

On turning multiplayer four swords into single player, it is not impossible and you would mostly be subtracting or working with existing functionality but you would have to radically rejig a lot of the puzzles and a fair bit of the game code. That would be a lot of work. It has also been discussed but the major one was for someone wanting to turn one of the other Links into an AI instead.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2857 on: June 08, 2016, 03:00:27 pm »
    A few people have wanted to update Link to match the 2d incarnations. That said I have not seen much progress on them so who knows. From memory I think the lttp sprites are not quite plain so you might have to fiddle with compressed stuff, nothing major on the GBA but still annoying.

On turning multiplayer four swords into single player, it is not impossible and you would mostly be subtracting or working with existing functionality but you would have to radically rejig a lot of the puzzles and a fair bit of the game code. That would be a lot of work. It has also been discussed but the major one was for someone wanting to turn one of the other Links into an AI instead.
    See Four Swords Anniversary Edition for DSi

jhorsfield30

• John @ Return learn gaming
      • View Profile
      • Return learn gaming
    « Reply #2858 on: June 08, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »
    I wanted to create a sequel to Paris-Dakar Rally which has been translated into english, great work all! Ideally changing the levels and adding a story element to the game to feature more of the first level style. What would be the best tools for this?
    John - Hearts Minds
    @Heartsmindsmed
    Researcher/writer/designer. Inspiring change through media, games (http://returnlearn.com ), documentaries (HMM) and posters (http://retroreloader.com )to inspire

hossbags2

• View Profile
    « Reply #2859 on: June 09, 2016, 05:54:17 am »
    Patched Startropics. There shouldn't be any problems. Anyone care to test it?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k8t2avdafaued7/Startropics-747.7z?dl=0

I liked this patch. Instead of saying "Input Frequency!!" it said "Input 747 mhz!!