News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2860061 times)

Animation Guru

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2680 on: April 07, 2016, 10:26:43 am »
Mega Man Anniversary Collection for PlayStation 2 - Fix the audio problems in Mega Man VI

When playing Mega Man VI in remixed audio mode on PlayStation 2, the music of some tracks are too loud and are actually clipping.  It sound really bad, and it's most noticeable during the attract mode of the game.

A solution would be to insert the original versions of these music tracks from the Rockman Complete Works version of Rockman VI.

MithrandirOlorin

• View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 08, 2016, 05:03:49 pm »
Since there is an NES version of Final Fantasy VII.  I've been thinking about the other classic PS1 FF game, Tactics, the Fire Emblem games are kind of the same genre, so maybe it's be possible to make an SNES version of it.

And the Graphics of Tactics always make me think of Mario RPG, during the cuts scenes at least.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 08, 2016, 05:42:30 pm »
I have a suggestion regarding the Surfing Pikachu minigame hack idea.

How about editing Pikachu's moveset so any Pikachu can learn Surf? I figure it would be an easy alternate solution for making this minigame readily available, and I can finally try that minigame out. ;)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

zonk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 09, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »
The SaGa games would be vastly improved by changing the post-battle stat increase chance.
A good slave does not realize he is one; the best slave will not accept that he has become one.

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: April 09, 2016, 08:08:18 pm »
Something i'v wanted to see for a long time, is some color corrections on the koopalings in Super Mario World, some of the color descisions is just bizzare when you compare it with the official artwork.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 09, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »
Something i'v wanted to see for a long time, is some color corrections on the koopalings in Super Mario World, some of the color descisions is just bizzare when you compare it with the official artwork.
I kinda wish someone would draw better sprites of the Koopalings, because they're actually not as good as the Super Mario Bros. 3 versions of their sprites.

Someone recently did a sprite color fix of Bowser and Yoshi, though, but it's only for the All-Stars version.

Another hack I've wanted to see is to revert the title screen back to the original Super Mario All-Stars title screen, while retaining Yoshi, of course.

>>>

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:18 am »
Hey! How about porting part of Mega Man 4's intro to Mega Man 1 (specificially, the part about Mega Man's origin)? The white out could serve as a nice transition to the title screen, like so (Japanese version used here):

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: April 15, 2016, 09:27:11 am »
Since there is an NES version of Final Fantasy VII.  I've been thinking about the other classic PS1 FF game, Tactics, the Fire Emblem games are kind of the same genre, so maybe it's be possible to make an SNES version of it.

And the Graphics of Tactics always make me think of Mario RPG, during the cuts scenes at least.
Tactics Ogre does exist, but you would have a much more likely chance making Tactics Advance (or Knight of Lodis for that matter) into an SNES game.  The 3D parts of FFT are rather integral to the gameplay IMO, and any means of doing that in an SNES would probably result in a lot of slowdown.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:00:22 pm by Chronosplit »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:14 am »
The SaGa games would be vastly improved by changing the post-battle stat increase chance.

I think I only agree for the SNES and PS2 Romancing Saga 1.  The final boss in the SNES version is a ton more difficult without very specific endgame weapons and their ultimate techs (the tech learning system in RS1 SNES is probably the most unintuitive thing I've ever seen in any game), so some kind of adjusted stat gain system that makes it possible to go above ~70 would be helpful.  The PS2 version just needs an overhaul as to how quests activate (and deactivate)--I hate having to avoid battles like the plague early on just so I can hit all the stops in time, maybe not letting quests become unavailable but keeping advanced quests locked behind rank walls would help out.  Saruin is no joke when you don't have all the fatestones.

I think the other SaGa games actually do a good job with the balancing--the hardest part for people, IMO, seems to be learning how the system works in the first place, since it's never very well explained.  Once you understand it though, SaGa games are really some of my favorite games to play, even Unlimited.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: April 16, 2016, 01:10:32 pm »
Cool graphics hack idea that popped into my head last night - A graphics hack of Pocky and Rocky that switch out the main characters with Goemon and Ebisumaru.  :woot!:

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

jimstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 16, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
Ohhh. Interesting choice i've always thougt Pocky & Rocky looked like legend of the mystical ninja.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 17, 2016, 08:56:01 pm »
IIRC it's been done for SNES in a patch.  Don't remember where it is though.

I searched RHDN and didn't find anything about it.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 17, 2016, 09:02:52 pm »
Here's one I tried recently and failed.  I would love to be able to combine the Zelda DX hack with either the 2003 Gamecube version of LoZ or KillerBob's Relocalized Hack.  Couldn't get either to work without crashing the game or causing graphical bugs.

daveeejones

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 18, 2016, 12:35:33 pm »
Ok

Would it be easy to hack the Megadrive version of Prince of Persia to play properly on a Genesis? (when I mean properly - i'm talking about the speed issues of the music and gameplay between the PAL/NTSC stuff)

Because the Megadrive version has extra + better cutscenes, better + ingame music and 4(?) extra levels too.

The Genesis got the inferior, rushed version and it is horrible.

It would be a worthwhile hack. If anyone could do it that would be awesome, or I could do it if someone would tell me how? :D

Thanks

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 18, 2016, 01:38:27 pm »
Here's one I tried recently and failed.  I would love to be able to combine the Zelda DX hack with either the 2003 Gamecube version of LoZ or KillerBob's Relocalized Hack.  Couldn't get either to work without crashing the game or causing graphical bugs.

I would also love to see this happen.

Animation Guru

• View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:37 pm »
It should be noted that the Zelda DX mod uses the original 1986 localization with such dopey lines as "ones who does not have Triforce can't go in". And the text crawl in the attract mode is even worse.

That's basically why I would like to be able to apply the patch to a better translation.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: April 18, 2016, 02:17:30 pm »
^Yeah. And is like you said in your comment on KillerBob's Relocalized Hack; is so much better than the Gamecube one.

But I don't know. I guess is up to @pacnsacdave to decide on wether he should update the patch with the Retranslation, or make a separate patch. (It can even be an addendum patch.)

fusaru

• View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 19, 2016, 04:08:04 am »
Ok

Would it be easy to hack the Megadrive version of Prince of Persia to play properly on a Genesis? (when I mean properly - i'm talking about the speed issues of the music and gameplay between the PAL/NTSC stuff)
Great idea. I've had a short look at this, but sadly it looks like a tough job.
As you've mentioned Prince of Persia PAL is apparently a fully optimized PAL game: Gameplay speed at 50Hz is equal to the NTSC version at 60Hz. Music speed also sounds correct at at 50Hz.

I did something similar for the The Chaos Engine, but that was only a partially PAL optimized game and allowed easy manipulation of music speed.

From what I understand this Prince of Persia optimization would requires 3 steps:
1) Make the PAL game run on NTSC hardware: Easy, can be done by modifying game data based on an action replay/game genie code ( Game Genie Region Bypass Guide by CVGuile on GameFAQs)
Tried this, and it worked.
2) Make the music run slower: according to segaretro.org this game uses GEMS sound driver. GEMS doesn't seem to control music speed via a variable (games like Alien Soldier, GODS, Shinobi 3 do). Music speed in GEMS driver games apparently isn't controlled by a variable; the whole music tracks are different data in the PAL and NTSC versions of optimized games.
I've confirmed this by copy&pasteing the music data from Aladdin NTSC into Aladdin PAL. Music was too slow at 50Hz, and correct at 60Hz. So music tracks have to be completely rewritten to play correclty at 60Hz. There is no NTSC version with "correct" music speed out there, so no way to copy & paste this over. Maybe needs to be rewritten by somebody that truely understands GEMS.
3) Make the game run "too slow at 50Hz, so it runs correctly at 60Hz" .... no idea how to do this in an easy way to be honest.
(MD hacks):
Complete --> see contributions page
Twin Hawk (arcade graphics), Toki

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: April 19, 2016, 11:45:41 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Japanese Super Famicom version of Prince of Persia that would change the text to English and add blood to the death animations of all the characters to make it more like the other ports of this game.

pacnsacdave

• I make game hacks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: April 19, 2016, 04:31:16 pm »
It should be noted that the Zelda DX mod uses the original 1986 localization with such dopey lines as "ones who does not have Triforce can't go in". And the text crawl in the attract mode is even worse.

That's basically why I would like to be able to apply the patch to a better translation.
That's not a problem, I'll get to work on that immediately.