News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2602462 times)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #2541 on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:10 pm »
Who will teach us the hack skills needed? We are noobs!!!!

Everyone was a noob at one point.  Most of us did not have someone to teach us.  We just dove in, read whatever docs we could get our hands on, and tinkered around until we figured shit out.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: February 05, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »
We just dove in, read whatever docs we could get our hands on, and tinkered around until we figured shit out.

And if you got your start back far enough there would have been a significantly lower number of docs and seasoned hackers to learn from. Newcomers got it pretty easy these days. They even have good download speeds which was a rare luxury when I first entered the net about 15 years ago. When I first discovered the concept of video game hacking there wasn't even a Hyrule Magic to crush people's dreams.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

talos91

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:19 pm »
Megaman classic co-op and zelda a link to the past co-op.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: February 05, 2016, 08:26:18 pm »
Megaman classic co-op and zelda a link to the past co-op

Not gonna happen.

(I guess I shouldn't single you out, that's not fair, 99% of these aren't going to happen).

I'd personally like to see Megaman (fully functional) in any other game, SMB, Metroid, etc. But that ain't gonna happen unless I do it myself.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:31 pm »
Megaman classic co-op and zelda a link to the past co-op.

I'm no expert, but I'm gonna bet that it would be easier to take a modern game-making program and rebuild the entire game with it, all the while redesigning things to be better suited for co-op than it would be to hack this functionality into an NES game that was never designed to be 2-player in the first place.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2546 on: February 06, 2016, 01:27:37 pm »
I know most of these are not gonna happen but it bummed me that my super pitfall suggestion had no comments. I was hoping dougeff would pick interest like he did with the contra suggestion. I tried to do it by ram cheats but I couldn't get it to work.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2547 on: February 06, 2016, 06:58:24 pm »
I'd like to play a Zelda 3 hack that makes the game as open ended as possible in terms of the dungeon order.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: February 06, 2016, 07:04:01 pm »
I'd like to play a Zelda 3 hack that makes the game as open ended as possible in terms of the dungeon order.

Someone is working on such a hack right now.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: February 06, 2016, 11:34:43 pm »
Who will teach us the hack skills needed? We are noobs!!!!
I taught myself mostly.  Basically I just read up on tutorials, grabbed some tools and a Hex Editor, and went forward on sheer will to get things done.

Did I make mistakes?  Yeah, I rendered plenty of projects un-usable through trial and error.
Was I in over my head?  For a little bit.
Did I manage?  After a while things went alright.

Hacking's a bit like learning how to cook.  The only way you're ever going to make that chocolate souffle is by learning how to crack eggs and accidentally burn a few dishes first.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: February 07, 2016, 09:34:22 am »
I actually had to ask someone for help when I first started doing ASM.  None of the Instructions made any sense, asking people for help would either lead to even more confusing answers or extreme elitists talking down to you for not being at their skill level.  The community as a whole is pretty bad for getting new people started in all honesty, but if one person is willing to help even a little bit, it goes a LOOOOOOONG way.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 07, 2016, 12:58:28 pm »
I know most of these are not gonna happen but it bummed me that my super pitfall suggestion had no comments. I was hoping dougeff would pick interest like he did with the contra suggestion. I tried to do it by ram cheats but I couldn't get it to work.

I was busy that week. I'll take a look at your suggestion, but no promises.

Edit: I looked at your suggestion. It's a good idea, but more time consuming than I have available. So, I won't be doing it. Sorry.

Maybe I should write some ROM hacking lessons on my blog, so you can do it yourself.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:04:59 pm by dougeff »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: February 07, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »
The community as a whole is pretty bad for getting new people started in all honesty, but if one person is willing to help even a little bit, it goes a LOOOOOOONG way.

There are good reasons why some people are hostile towards noobs. Most will never be anything more than noobs because after a few days or weeks they will say to themselves "This is too hard. I give up". Because of that, you never know if someone is worth spending time on or not. There's no way to know if someone is destined to be the eternal loser or if they are someone who will sculpt themselves into a ROM hacking hero. Most will be the former though. They show up, prove how useless they are and then disappear. Some people are just hopeless. I read a post the other day where someone tried to play a patch thinking it was a game...

Noobs are also annoying because they ask a lot of dumb questions. Sometimes this is inevitable because of inexperience, but quite often I think it's because many people are incapable of doing anything for themselves. Many of the dumb questions I see make me wonder if most people simply do not know that things like Google exist or that you can often find important info about utilities in the readme (so obvious... it says read me!!!). There are also a lot of questions that get asked that could easily be answered by just trying whatever it is they are asking about. I personally hate it when people show up and start a thread where the OP is something like "I can't get this hack to work" like that is supposed to tell us anything. How the fuck is anybody supposed to know what is wrong if they have absolutely no details to work with?

Also, the longer you hang around the scene the more you learn, but the noobs just keep coming and they aren't getting any smarter despite having more information available and more ease of access to said information than those who came before them.

Bonus: A noob with very poor english skills is the worst. They ask questions like "how did I doing if active with room hacking or different ?" and then some of them get mad when you have no idea what they are talking about.

-end rant

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 07, 2016, 08:36:02 pm »
Noobs are also annoying because they ask a lot of dumb questions. Sometimes this is inevitable because of inexperience, but quite often I think it's because many people are incapable of doing anything for themselves. Many of the dumb questions I see make me wonder if most people simply do not know that things like Google exist or that you can often find important info about utilities in the readme (so obvious... it says read me!!!). There are also a lot of questions that get asked that could easily be answered by just trying whatever it is they are asking about. I personally hate it when people show up and start a thread where the OP is something like "I can't get this hack to work" like that is supposed to tell us anything.

I agree with that though there are some nuances to bring. On another forum we get people who ask the same basic questions over and over. I can understand it to a point because the MyBB search feature does sucks if you don't know how to use it and we lack an equivalent of what is in the "FAQ newbie package" (I'm seriously considering making one). Otherwise all important links (editors, technical stuff, relevant external links) are organized, explained and one click away from the index page. This is where I don't understand people sometime. This is why I get a bit irritated times after times.

When I started romhacking, I learned the basics by reading threads and threads on three forum and practicing before even asking a question. What happened is that when I made my first post, I had something to show instead of asking about hexadecimal notation. That doesn'T mean I was never in a position where I needed help (even today).

Edit: We were all newbies at some point but I think everyone is capable of going one step above the zero knowledge before asking about how something works.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 07, 2016, 08:52:33 pm »
Edit: We were all newbies at some point but I think everyone is capable of going one step above the zero knowledge before asking about how something works.

Yeah, I too wasn't immune to asking unnecessary/naive questions when I started out but more often than not, rather than broadcasting my ignorance to the world I would trim the fat from my question and then type it into a search engine. I almost always found the answer I was looking for and it took no more than a couple of seconds.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »
BTW, if I DO write a 'how to ROM hack' section on my blog, it's not going to be a one page, this is so easy, why isn't everyone doing this tutorial.  It's going to be like 10 loooong pages of 6502 ASM lessons before you even get to changing the color of Mario's hair. There's no shortcuts to understanding this stuff. When I started I read this monster 500 page document on 6502 ASM (and 65816) before I even started to try something. And I wrote about 20-30 test programs in 6502, and went step-by-step in a debugger to make SURE I actually do understand what's happening, what every instruction does, why it does it, what the flags mean, etc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:32:43 pm by dougeff »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: February 07, 2016, 09:38:08 pm »
BTW, if I DO write a 'how to ROM hack' section on my blog, it's not going to be a one page, this is so easy, why isn't everyone doing this tutorial.  It's going to be like 10 loooong pages of 6502 ASM lessons before you even get to changing the color of Mario's hair. There's no shortcuts to understanding this stuff. When I started I read this monster 500 page document on 6502 ASM (and 65816) before I even started to try something. And I wrote about 20-30 test programs in 6502, and went step-by-step in a debugger to make SURE I actually do understand what's happening, what every instruction does, why it does it, what the flags mean, etc.

You've just given me a brilliant idea. There should be an "Introduction to ROM Hacking" doc that everyone is directed to that is designed to kill noobs. Make them start out with the most difficult and complex stuff possible to weed out the weak.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBS!!!!!!!!

R.I.P. Noobs...

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:35 pm »
Oh, here's the document I was refering to.

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/images/7/76/Programmanual.pdf

Anyone who's interested in advanced ROM hacking...if you can read this entire document, without clawing your eyes out, then maybe ROM hacking is right for you. I exagerated a bit...it's only 450 pages.

:)

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 07, 2016, 10:51:55 pm »
I don't know if this may sound possible, or even be part of here, but I want for someone to make a compilation of literally all of the Color TV Games for the NES. Or at least, one by one. And try to give it that Nintendo feel. What do I mean by Nintendo feel? I mean, make it less boring, and more like those famous NES arcade games like Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, or Balloon Fight (or this version of Balloon Fight).

To my knowledge, I somehow feel like Nintendo never managed to port these games for the NES. This sounds like homebrew, so that's why I'm gonna ask, is this also allowed here?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:07:40 pm by John Enigma »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: February 08, 2016, 12:43:46 am »
More noob bashing: Someone in the other hacking forums I frequent asked where they could find a certain piece of information that was in a thread that they had posted in just one day previously. And it wasn't even like there were 10 pages or something. It still only had enough posts for one page.

Hack idea: A hack of Alien 3 where your job is to eradicate noobs instead of aliens.

Hack idea: A hack of Bart vs the Space Mutants where it becomes Bart vs the Noobs.