News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2463532 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1620 on: December 10, 2014, 11:53:01 pm »
How about a hack of Super Mario All-Stars (+ World?) with minor cosmetic tweaks and additions (including certain ones from the GBA versions of 3 and World):

Super Mario Bros./The Lost Levels

- Switch Mario/Luigi's shirt and overall colours around (to match his look from every subsequent game since Mario Bros. 2, y'know, since the original NES colour palette is no longer a problem in the SNES remake?)
- Sprites for Fire Mario/Luigi should also be altered to complement this.
- Incorporate BMF54123's Brick Physics fix for SMB/LL

Super Mario Bros. 2

- Fix those infamous textual errors in the credits
- Change all instances of 'Princess' to 'Peach'
- Maybe give Luigi blue overalls (like Mario) instead of washed-out purple? (I mean, why not, since we're already here?)

Super Mario Bros. 3

- Give Mario/Luigi their white gloves
- New Peach sprite (include GBA letter Peach sprite w/ blue earring?)
- Textual revisions from the GBA version (SMB3 stands to benefit the most from this)
- Altered GBA Sledge Bros. map sprite
- In World 7's letter, Bowser's skin colour is changed from dark green to its usual orange-yellow

Super Mario World

- GBA Peach sprite
- Fix colouring of Yoshi's arms (yellow to green)
- Fix Bowser's skin colour in final battle (green to orange-yellow)
- Textual changes? (Negligible difference at best)
- Completely optional patch to apply the Super Mario Advance 2 damage system (get hit as Fire Mario, revert back to Super Mario instead of Small Mario)

Call it 'Classic Super Mario Bros.: For Pedantic Players'!

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 11, 2014, 11:51:35 am »
SMB2 has a De-Engrish Rewrite.

Anyway; Madden '78 for the Magnavox Odyssey2. A hack of Football! that utilizes the Voice! add-on to provide awful John Madden clips. Bonus points, if you clear up same-team collision detection, and double the plays using the button to modify the joystick input!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 11, 2014, 06:20:56 pm »
Considering its inspiration, I'm surprised no one has tried to give Takeshi's Challenge a Most Extreme Elimination Challenge-style rewrite.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 12, 2014, 02:27:24 am »
It would be nice if someone relocalized "Yo Noid!" back to it's original game "Masked Ninja Hanamaru"

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 12, 2014, 09:37:30 am »
A retranslation of that is on my backlog that I'm really thinking of getting cleared out.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:54 am »
How about a hack of Super Mario All-Stars (+ World?) with minor cosmetic tweaks and additions (including certain ones from the GBA versions of 3 and World):

Super Mario Bros./The Lost Levels

- Switch Mario/Luigi's shirt and overall colours around (to match his look from every subsequent game since Mario Bros. 2, y'know, since the original NES colour palette is no longer a problem in the SNES remake?)
- Sprites for Fire Mario/Luigi should also be altered to complement this.
- Incorporate BMF54123's Brick Physics fix for SMB/LL

Super Mario Bros. 2

- Fix those infamous textual errors in the credits
- Change all instances of 'Princess' to 'Peach'
- Maybe give Luigi blue overalls (like Mario) instead of washed-out purple? (I mean, why not, since we're already here?)

Super Mario Bros. 3

- Give Mario/Luigi their white gloves
- New Peach sprite (include GBA letter Peach sprite w/ blue earring?)
- Textual revisions from the GBA version (SMB3 stands to benefit the most from this)
- Altered GBA Sledge Bros. map sprite
- In World 7's letter, Bowser's skin colour is changed from dark green to its usual orange-yellow

Super Mario World

- GBA Peach sprite
- Fix colouring of Yoshi's arms (yellow to green)
- Fix Bowser's skin colour in final battle (green to orange-yellow)
- Textual changes? (Negligible difference at best)
- Completely optional patch to apply the Super Mario Advance 2 damage system (get hit as Fire Mario, revert back to Super Mario instead of Small Mario)

Call it 'Classic Super Mario Bros.: For Pedantic Players'!

I've made a cosmetic hack for SMAS+World before. Some of what you've described is featured in it. You can see some screenshots here: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,16142.msg239228.html I should probably actually upload that to the site since the sendspace link there is dead

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 13, 2014, 08:44:01 am »
Speaking of mario, here's a Super Mario Bros Advance 4 hack idea:
1. Add E-Reader content (perhaps through a password system, or simply keep everything unlocked by default. There are save files containing them, I think.
2. In "Mario" mode, allow player to switch to Luigi by pressing B on the map screen (similar to "Mario & Luigi" mode, minus the split lives and items pool)
3. Restore modified stage aspects (for example, the first Piranha Plant in 1-1)
4. Modify Warp Whistle Land (World 9) to allow you to jump to any world. Yes, even to the ones you have previously been to.

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 17, 2014, 04:05:23 am »
How about a game where you can play as the Princess wearing Luigi's clothes with throwable bombs, like in that one Super Mario World comic?
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1628 on: December 17, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »
How about a game where you can play as the Princess wearing Luigi's clothes with throwable bombs, like in that one Super Mario World comic?

That probably wouldn't be particularly impossible if you edited SMW or Super Mario All Stars.  For the former, a decent programmer could probably make a bomb throwing power up that uses PowerTool.  They could probably also hack the game so she could throw bombs in any form.

As for making Peach playable with Luigi's clothes... that seems like fairly minimal player graphics editing.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 17, 2014, 05:28:38 pm »
If that happens, I hope to god no one goes the route of just slapping her face on Luigi's body.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1630 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:23 pm »
If that happens, I hope to god no one goes the route of just slapping her face on Luigi's body.

It's better than just recolouring Mario and saying its Wario/Waluigi.

Yeah, I saw that before.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:43 am »
I've been playing through AG's translated "Adventures of Hourai High", and I cry over what could've been such an amazing game if some gameplay mechanics could've been cleaned up.  the following are things I'd love to add if I had even an ounce of computing skill:

-Balancing hack so the game isn't a cake walk after ~1/4 of the way in---just something like lowering the XP monsters give could do the trick here, or maybe raising leveling requirements

-Club re-jigging:  Having 80% of the clubs accessable at the beginning of the game really doesn't help the difficulty, and the ease at which you access a certain one basically makes all the clubs with status skills pointless about halfway through the game.  I'd like to see the clubs in a number of different places, and maybe have the skillsets rebalanced

-Character tweaking--by this I mean maybe make more categories of equipment, and make each character have more exclusive lists of items/skills they get.  Exclusivity of the clubs would've also been very welcome (teachers joining school clubs didn't make much sense....), and would've helped make each acharacter more unique rather than just the straight Fighter/Magic user archetypes that currently exist in the game.

-DEAR GOD DESCRIPTION CLEANUPS--I love the translation to death, but I would love if there was some way to determine what weapons are which type of weapons and which armors are certain types, because I can rarely tell based on the ingame text.  This is important as some skills only affect certain types of equipment, and it would really help planning skill training

-AP (or something like it) to earn skills---Using regular experience to determine skill learning from clubs is a disaster.  Once you start fighting higher yeilding monsters, you start to learn skills VERY fast, which is part of the reason the difficulty becomes a joke later, as passive stat skills can massively boost your power.

-Bugs----Especially the end-chapter bits that tend to crash the game when you have the text speed on high.  I just dont understand how a game can crash because of an in-game text option....

I think I just needed to get all this off my chest, as it's frustrated me how good this game could've been.  I like the original plot, and the English translation is really well done, I just want to see a decent team of real hackers take a crack at the other stuff in the game too....

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #1632 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:44 am »
AFAIR stat boosts from equipment don't even work due to a programming oversight. Gideon mentioned it on his twitter feed, I think.

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:00 am »
A Samus Skin for Earthworm Jim 3D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1H5r8gxAc

Least thats just for starters. For a more involved project, a whole rom hacking overhaul turning Earthworm Jim 3D into a Third Person Metroid Game for N64.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 20, 2014, 08:25:24 am »
Speaking of Earthworm Jim, this idea may be better suited to homebrew than anything, but someone really, really ought to make decent GBA versions of the first two games like what was (sorta) done with Sonic 1.

omega_rugal

• View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: December 20, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »
I know it`s been done to dead but how about another hack to Castlevania 2: Simon`s quest that makes the changes from day to night "real time" i mean, the game already shows several palettes that make up the transition, it`ll be a matter of cycling through those palettes depending on the ingame time

Day - day background palette full music volume
dusk - a darker palette - music at 50%
Night - night palette full music
dawn - lighter palette - music at 50%
Done your packing?, your life journey is over...

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 20, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »
Uh, did anyone notice that no one will ever answer to any request anyone makes here?

Just so you guys know that this thread is a... Well, trash bin.

Either you develop the skillz and do your thing yourself with the game or get separated from the others because you're not their kin.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 20, 2014, 10:52:34 pm »
Uh, did anyone notice that no one will ever answer to any request anyone makes here?

Just so you guys know that this thread is a... Well, trash bin.

Either you develop the skillz and do your thing yourself with the game or get separated from the others because you're not their kin.
This thread is generally for "ideas", not necessarily a request thread. Anybody can post their ideas here. Requests are a no-no so avoid that.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1638 on: December 20, 2014, 11:12:54 pm »
One of my yet-to-be-released projects sprouted from an idea in here. Also, I believe the inclusion of Super Mario Kart NPC items modification that was done a few months back stemmed from an idea in here.

So, one chance in a couple of hundred, someone with the skills will take one of these on, but as has been mentioned, it is not the purpose for the thread.

It is simply a dumping ground. A place to say, "Wouldn't it be cool if…" and if the planets and stars are aligned in your favor, then maybe someone will actually agree with you, have the skills to do it, and actually think it's worth the effort.

In my case, I check this thread regularly, but 99% of what's posted in this thread doesn't interest me. The majority of the remaining 1% fall into the "yeah, that'd be cool, but totally not worth the effort" category. Then there's the rare 1/1000 case that actually inspires me to do something.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 20, 2014, 11:26:36 pm »
I said my piece because I felt quite deluded when I realized this on the chat.

On a side, I actually feel like I'm lazy about learning how to code, but then again, the way they left that clear to me also made me notice that there is no altruism between ROM hackers and, y'know, normal people. It just became a social abyss between who has the skills and who has not.

So, I feel that any idea that I put here, no, anyone, puts in here, is a wasted effort. I know I gave some useless hacking ideas here, but I feel pretty bad for the bugfixes I asked for here (Soul Calibur III, Wild Arms 4, Blazing Souls Accelate, Atelier Iris) when I remember that the ROM hackers here will never get any interest on doing it.

So, that's the way it is. I sorta lost all hope that I would be helping here, because I am not. I am useless as a member if I'm not a hacker myself, it seems.

You guys don't have to feel sorry for that, hell, I think I may be even punished for writing that thing. Just... Y'know, take what I'm saying to mind. I may be a lazy idiot, but I do know what I'm talking.