News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2766408 times)

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1600 on: November 28, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »
It would be cool if someone could restore all censored content from Super Castlevania IV (crosses, blood drops instead of acid ones, etc...) back to it's place. Extra points to whoever manages to add the blood dripping effect from the japanese version's title screen into this one while making it feel natural.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 28, 2014, 11:51:56 pm »
I've been wishing that for a long time too, but honestly, I think it would be easier to just re-translate the Japanese version and import the US font.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 29, 2014, 02:01:27 pm »
Haven't thought about this until I played Golden Sun Dark Dawn, but... The game could use an "Auto-Advance Text" if you hold B, just like in Golden Sun The Lost Age.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1603 on: November 29, 2014, 02:36:11 pm »
I've been wishing that for a long time too, but honestly, I think it would be easier to just re-translate the Japanese version and import the US font.

You sure?  The things he mentioned seem to merely be graphics changes (or palette changes in some cases).
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 29, 2014, 05:57:12 pm »
I agree with Vanya, the only things you need to do in the Japanese version is change the text in the intro cutscene to English and change the title logo to a customized version of the Super Castlevania IV logo.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:53 pm »
Idea: since hacks for the PC version of Sonic CD are possible now, what about a patch for the music?

It's still great, but the looping points for the tracks can be pretty off compared to the Sega CD's and the Japanese intro track's remix is less stellar than the original.

scaled_one

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 01, 2014, 02:36:41 pm »
Idea: Backport the phantast star Generations 2 additions (baking/crafting, and getting nei revived if you do a second play through and talk to every NPC y can access before going into climcontrol, limit moved, and other tweaks) to the genesis version of phantasy star 2.

Idea 2: Port Streets of Rage Remake to Saturn or Dreamcast. SRR is a fan game that combines all three of the genesis games into one mega game, with better effects, detailing, an item shop, and all kinds of neat stuff.

http://www.soronline.net/sorr_info.htm

Idea 3: PC port of Snatcher, with option for either Japanese or Western scenes, since there are differences here and there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:53:43 pm by scaled_one »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: December 01, 2014, 06:10:12 pm »
Streets of Rage remake is a closed source game, and apparently one using a less than well known programming language (fenix, seemingly not a glorified library either). Though editing closed source programs is possible (see also this entire site) is would be a pain to do it for this game. Equally Beats of Rage made it to the dreamcast so that would probably be where I look, or not because I can hook my PC up to a TV easily and a have a controller go into it just as easily* these days and you don't even have the dubious "love me some real hardware" stuff for this one.

*saying that, assuming I hit my head hard enough to think using a dreamcast controller is a good idea then I would possibly struggle to find a decent PC adapter for one.

Megadrive phantasy star 2 with the gameplay features of the remake, that is far more doable. Still a considerable project but we have certainly seen things like it before.

I am not sure what you want with Snatcher, unless you mean something to do with the PCE or PC-8801 versions of the game. By and large we don't really port games when emulators exist. Now there are certainly games that get remade ( http://www.openttd.org/en/ being a good example) but is more the exception than the rule, and I doubt Snatcher will find itself one of those exceptions.

lyjal

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 01, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »
This may be more of a homebrew than just hacking, but I have been thinking about an SNES version of Super Smash Brothers. I was thinking of starting from something like the Battle game on Mario 3 and going from there--adding A and B attacks, %dmg, jumps, stages, characters, and items. I have only done one hack and that was completely HEX and GUI editor based. This would need extensive coding. I think it would be a worthwhile project and I would help in any way I could.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: December 03, 2014, 12:02:13 pm »
Please don't shout in huge text, and I think this is the appropriate place to put a hack request.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 03, 2014, 01:21:51 pm »
Looking at http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/586496-streets-of-rage-3/faqs/16844 there appears to be some game genie codes for the Japanese version and http://www.soronline.net/sor3_codes.htm has a few more, you can hardpatch game genie codes to ROMs as well ( http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=17595.0 has something).

Are those not suitable for what you want.

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: December 03, 2014, 02:18:24 pm »
This may be more of a homebrew than just hacking, but I have been thinking about an SNES version of Super Smash Brothers. I was thinking of starting from something like the Battle game on Mario 3 and going from there--adding A and B attacks, %dmg, jumps, stages, characters, and items. I have only done one hack and that was completely HEX and GUI editor based. This would need extensive coding. I think it would be a worthwhile project and I would help in any way I could.

I would be interested in helping with this. I know they have some flash hacks as well.

What engine would you use on SNES?

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: December 03, 2014, 06:03:42 pm »
Stupid idea: restore censored content to Mega Man Zero 1 to 4 and Collection. Censored content was the "blood" spray and the rust on a crusher's wall. For ZX/ZXA, I'd propose restoring the Japanese Voice Acting and Japanese Dub to the FMVs. And, lastly, for MMZ3, I'd propose this: a menu for checking and applying e-reader effects.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1613 on: December 03, 2014, 06:07:31 pm »
Smash Bros also has fan games, like Smash Bros Crusade and Super Smash Land (I think that's the name).

But I'll be interested in seeing a homebrew game based on it on the SNES.  I'll also be interested in what level of technology you're after.

Low level might be like this guy's Battlefield (Smash Bros 4) port:

http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=73445

High level would be literally this quality music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2koy-btxeQ

God, I can almost imagine how awesome Smash Bros homebrew with MSU1 music would be... I mean, I don't know who'd be able to pull it off, but with that, you could literally put the soundtrack from Brawl or Smash Bros 4 into a SNES game.  No quality drop at all.

Quality of the graphics could be interesting to see too.  I mean, GBA level graphics are often possible on the SNES, so it could look a lot like Smash Bros Crusade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjK6mjfNTo

But yeah, Smash Bros on SNES would require a really good team and a whole lot of programming and game design skills...  I don't pity whoever tries it.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

lyjal

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: December 03, 2014, 07:12:53 pm »
I would be interested in helping with this. I know they have some flash hacks as well.

What engine would you use on SNES?

Well, if you are interested in helping then I guess that makes two of us trying to work on this thing. I don't know what engine I'd want to use. I played with some NES ideas before deciding that in order to make a fun game, you really need the controller complexity of the SNES. Once I decided that, I tried thinking of any games that would lend themselves to this kind of thing.

My goal for this kind of project would be to capture the essence of Smash Bros while staying true to SNES type playstyle. My original thought was trying to start with something like the Mario Bros Battle game (Mario Bros on NES, Battle Mode on SMB3 and SMB3 on SM All Stars), but too many mechanics would have to be added to make it feel like Smash Bros. This may be the best way to go, though.

If the game felt and controlled like SMW, I think that would be a good place to start, too.

As CM30 puts it:

But yeah, Smash Bros on SNES would require a really good team and a whole lot of programming and game design skills...  I don't pity whoever tries it.

This is definitely a lofty project. I wouldn't mind being part of it--even leading it in many aspects--but I cannot code. I can do a bit of hacking, but I have only done it on the NES and it was using level editors, basic tile/sprite hacking, and HEX editing at that.

If anyone is interested on seeing if we can get something going with momentum, please PM me.

By the way, CM30, my goal would be to try to get something that would look, feel, and sound like a product released on the SNES  in the mid 90s.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: December 03, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »
How about an MSU1 conversion of Super Alfred Chicken? The Amiga CD32 soundtrack would go nicely with the game.

lyjal

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 03, 2014, 07:34:34 pm »
NES Boy: For Smash?

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:44 pm »
No, for an MSU1 conversion of the Alfred Chicken game for the SNES.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:00 am »
How about a fix hack of The Legend of Kage
- fix the floaty controls
- improve the game

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1619 on: December 07, 2014, 04:28:12 am »
I don't see anything wrong with Legend of Kage. I thought the controls were an excellent adaptation of wire-fu.