News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2842930 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1580 on: November 18, 2014, 07:01:42 am »
Add Cream to the first Sonic Advance game. Most of the necessary animations are already present in later SA games, so all you'd really have to do is draw new character select, cutscene, and game clear artwork (maybe add her to the intro too) and you'd be good to go.

While we're at it, balance her physics so she isn't completely superior to every other character in the game in every possible way except speed. Have to keep things challenging.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 18, 2014, 10:38:16 am »
So... I have been playing Blazing Souls: Accelate for the PSP, and I discovered that the game has a nasty, almost random bug. The game freezes when you change someone's equipment. I don't exactly know what triggers this, but it happens mostly with fully geared characters.

The only workaround for this is removing all of the equipment (weapon, armor and accessory, in that order) and then equipping what you wish to equip, then equipping the skills.

For the looks of it, it's like the game couldn't handle doing a highly simultaneous action at once (de-equipping the gear, removing the skills and placing the new gear in place, all that at once).

Can someone, for the love of God, fix this?

It happens in the US version, as I've gone through this bug already, but I'm not sure if this happens in the european version. Also, they say the Android version doesn't have this bug. (And surely the PS2 and X360 versions doesn't have it as well.)

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »
For the first Zelda game because it's perfect for it, allow multiple items to share one item slot (make choosing another item to overwrite) to mimic the rental system from A Link Between Worlds. The code is already there for candle/potion/sword/arrow upgrade that shares the same item slot.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: November 19, 2014, 10:41:20 pm »
Proposal for translation steps of "All Kamen Rider: Rider generation 2" (DS/PSP):
First of All: Each step should first happen in PSP (Due to higher quality audio and art being necessary) and then to DS (due to being "downgraded" but otherwise same content)
  • Menus, Missions and Shop - This part should be likely a breeze, since no story element will be translated by them and Rider Names will be only translated when they appear on Mission Objectives. Personal (Rider) Items should remain untranslated for now.
  • Rider Names, Items and Techniques - All Personal (Rider) Items, Skills and names gets translated in this step. Story translation should still be ignored.
  • Story - Here's where we FINALLY translate story. This game isn't much story-driven, so this could have been saved for later or ignored whole. But we ain't gonna let it pass, right?
  • Voice Acting - This is EXTREMELY optional as none of the voice actings are important to the understanding of the game or story. My proposal for this is to have fans make the voices from scripts translated by someone fluent with spoken japanese. This would require a group effort as there's roughly 102 characters (only 100 in Rider Database, which can be accessed by pressing Square/Y in the Shop. The other two are navigator and shop), but I think only about 60 are voiced (not counting Belt Voices). If someone plans to go this far, contact me for Kamen Rider Skull and Kamen Rider Odin, I'll do my best to help.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:47 am »
I think I recall seeing certain mods done to N64 games so that they could have better textures, so I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same to certain GameCube games.  There also is a hack for Melee that turns it into true 16:9, however certain assets were designed for use in 4:3 mode.  I just wonder if replacing graphics files would be feasible for GameCube games.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 21, 2014, 03:52:58 am »
GC (and wii) texture replacement should be possible with various versions of dolphin (they were broken for a while but should be back in now). I have not got a guide I can properly point at and say "that" but http://zeldatphd.weebly.com/texture-tutorial.html and https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Dolphin_Manual#Advanced_Graphics_Options should allow something to be get started.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 21, 2014, 06:15:53 am »
I think I recall seeing certain mods done to N64 games so that they could have better textures, so I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same to certain GameCube games.
It is. The SRW GC translation project started with that. Here's an example:

The problem with replacing textures is their number. If you use a lot, the boot time of the ISO can take several minutes (because the emulator has to map the textures that are going to be used for replacement), and we were using it to translate *all* the text in the game... I guess just textures for map graphics and so on won't be nearly as close to what we were using.

Another thing is that this can't be exported to a real console, but I guess you already counted on that.

TheCape

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 21, 2014, 01:23:43 pm »
How about a Magnum Opus Pokemon game?

Something like taking Pokémon X and combining all the previous maps and campaigns into one. Making the game long and epic to play.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1588 on: November 21, 2014, 04:06:00 pm »
So, some more crazy ideas for ROM hacks that would be awesome (but prohibitively difficult to actually make).

1. A Super Mario Galaxy game in 2D.  The music's already been done very nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh52qgkK1Ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcg773BEILA

Many, many Mario World hacks have made levels based on the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTEedypOJk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKS19nhN7U

But no one's made a whole game or hack based on the concept.  Especially not on the SNES.

2. 2D demake of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

Yes people have made them in fan game form... but wouldn't it be cool to see a hack of Link to the Past or Minish Cap that turned them into 2D versions of those games?  And if they got far enough that we saw stuff like the Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow and Spirit Temples in 2D, complete with the same concepts, enemies and traps?

And the same music I guess.  Someone did that too:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67216205/firetemple.mp3

(That someone was a person at SMW Central, who's port I show off in MP3 format for the purpose of this post).

3. Some fan games on the SNES

What?  Psycho Waluigi on SNES would be awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ynn8FG2h0

Super Mario the Sacred Bells and its sequel would be cool as hacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaj3-D2nBvM

And personally, I'd love to see a port of Mario Blue Twilight DX to an actual console or handheld platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXYUjIcySo

The physics always let that game down a bit.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 22, 2014, 09:06:36 am »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:48:04 pm by Seeeeph »

Erockbrox

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:07 am »
i got a crazy idea for a zelda 3 hack. make a super crazy hack where your in a haunted mansion, get to fight enemies from super mario bros and then just throw in a bunch of star wars stuff for kicks. I'm down for that!!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:11 pm »
Dumb idea, but what if someone took the DS's translation of Chrono Trigger and transplanted it into the SNES version?  Would it be worth it for those who can't run a DS emulator fast enough, or like the older battle interface better?

How about a Magnum Opus Pokemon game?

Something like taking Pokémon X and combining all the previous maps and campaigns into one. Making the game long and epic to play.
This actually isn't as smart as it sounds, unfortunately.  Because:

1. I know the scene a bit, and X/Y hacking is a LONG way off, not to mention working with the 3DS in a big way.  We're barely doing much to the DS games outside of minor hacks.

2. It's been discussed before, but there's the matter of balance.  Two regions alone is pretty hard to balance without it becoming either a steamroll fest or boring, Gold/Silver/Crystal proved that.

Your best bet would probably be to wait for the Split Disassembly of a Generation III game (in progress, though I'm pretty sure Generations 1 and 2 are already done) and make a "choose your region" type of game using the advancements made there to introduce newer games' mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:03:18 am by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 26, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »
Dumb idea, but what if someone took the DS's translation of Chrono Trigger and transplanted it into the SNES version?  Would it be worth it for those who can't run a DS emulator fast enough, or like the older battle interface better?

I second that idea! I prefer the SNES interface. It's the version I grew up on.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 26, 2014, 09:57:20 pm »
Is the DS's translation any better in some places at all for that to be a worthwhile pursue? I think people commonly don't like that Frog no longer speaks in Old English, for example.

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 26, 2014, 11:28:53 pm »
Is the DS's translation any better in some places at all for that to be a worthwhile pursue? I think people commonly don't like that Frog no longer speaks in Old English, for example.

Me among them. That's what makes Frog unique as hell.

Also, what good is retranslating Chrono Trigger if it is good the way it is? A good thing to do would be extend the ROM's size and add the DS version's content into it.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 27, 2014, 08:45:58 am »
That's actually an old hack I was doing awhile back.  I got the Dream Devourer event fully hacked in with working AI and everything.  Got most of the events for the Shades ready as well.  Just never got around to finishing it.  With recently getting my computer back as well with everything in tact, I might take a whack at it again in the far future and see it getting done unless someone else decides to do it first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udoj1lYoG8c

Minus some edits to the DD and Schala not fully animating..  Yikes.  Not sure what I was thinking back then.

Edit 2: Stats weren't quite right either.  Youch, what WAS I thinking.  Though this was for the Schala Project.  I had another completely separate project JUST for the DS events.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:41:57 am by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 27, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »
Good question, because for the most part the new translation takes the original and expands it.  The main changes were Fiends and Frog (though honestly I like Frog's new manner of speaking: it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others in the middle ages, but it's still polite and makes him different).  The biggest thing it did was uncensoring.

Though Slattery did less changes to it than FFVI's translation, I feel there's enough changed to warrant playing both versions for the translation myself.  Extending the idea to the new content is better sounding though.

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 27, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »
Hey, Justin, let us know if you decide to resume your project. I'd take a test at it, as I've finished both the original and the DS port.

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 28, 2014, 04:28:49 am »
1. Hotel Mario for NES. maybe a Wrecking Crew or Donkey hack?
2. Gyromite 2. This could be an SMB1 hack that uses sprites from the original Gyromite. Player 2 could control/toggle certain red or blue traps/obstacles/objects. The warp zones could be 72-60 pin adapter themed. R.O.B.'s use would be optional.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 28, 2014, 12:02:25 pm »
Speaking of Gyromite I'm kinda surprised it never got a modern remake for NDS or 3DS.
I've always thought the characters would be worthy of a new game with a faster pace and new mechanics.