News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2456521 times)

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1540 on: October 19, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »
Really? This thread isn't for update begging.

Actually I'm asking someone to translate the Saturn port for SotN. This counts as a hacking idea, not an update begging or whatever you think it is.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: October 19, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »
No dude. Asking a specific member to work on an already established project is not an idea nor does in belong in a thread about brain storming new ideas that haven't been attempted yet.

lucaslbds

• View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »
But really is easy translate it for the saturn?

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
No dude. Asking a specific member to work on an already established project is not an idea nor does in belong in a thread about brain storming new ideas that haven't been attempted yet.

Oh, now that makes sense. Sorry.

Yet still, as far as I remember, it is a fact that the Saturn version for SotN seems to remain untranslated.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #1544 on: October 21, 2014, 04:57:23 pm »
Not sure how it'd work, but I'd love to see someone try and make a Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario game for the SNES. You know, complete with the humour, action commands in battles, mini games, etc.

After all, you can already use the graphics and music from Superstar Saga on a SNES without too many issues, so why not a full length SNES RPG in that style?  Only problem is finding a good game to hack into such a project (unless you went homebrew).
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:05 pm »
A bit late, but...

Curriously, I've always felt SD2 was one of the most, if not the most, overrated game of the SFC.
Maybe due to its ugly French translation.

It's probably because it was one of the first "big" action-RPG that got localized in french.

I personally think it's the third that is the most overrated, and one of the main reason, in my opinion, is because it was only released in english as a fan translation (the fact that it was probably one of the harder game to hack, back in those days, because of huffman compression, is not enough to just make it a awesome game, though I suppose and can understand that lot of people were like "woot, WE CAN FINALLY PLAY IT IN ENGLISH, THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER !!").

I'm not saying it don't look like a good game. I just know that I really like SD1 (Mystic Quest) and SD2 (Secret of Mana) but I never really managed to like as much SD3, though the several scenarios divergence and such was a pretty good idea.

The original french translation of SD2 is not that bad for a 1993 translation (I can confirm it as I read the official japanese script when I did my copy-paste from the retranslated iphone version to the snes rom), it's just heavily cut to fit in the 16Mb rom. I would say half of the text has been cut, but in a so tiny free room for texts, the translation look rather good, especially when you know the english localization seems to only got one month to do it and when you know the french version, is of course, translated from the english version (I think the first big RPG directly translated from japanese we got in France was FF8, after FF7 translation debacle).

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 23, 2014, 12:03:02 am »
I think I have one. For the WiiU

Donkey Kong is dropped off at a New York zoo. Mario is armed with a whip and must whip DK in juggling (ala Game-n-Watch). He promptly breaks loose. Most levels are vertical scrolling, and most levels are in buildings or an otherwise urban environment. He goes through sewer levels (Mario Bros), levels where he'll have to destroy the building (wrecking crew), levels with a Donkey-Kong-Classic feel. It could pay homage to Ice Climbers. It could have a Wario level where you must collect more treasure than he does. The finally is to save Pauline. by shooting at DK from a plane (totally diddy kong racing style).

Idea 2: A GBA cart that would emulate an E-reader, and would allow the input of all presently available codes for Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. Short of that, I would like to see that rom patched with all the e-reader options

Idea 3: I want a hack (that's compatible with the item-slot-hack) that allows you to skip the text and cut-scenes in SMB3 for NES. I will pay to see this one. Seriously. Also, Wall-Jump FTW!

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 23, 2014, 01:04:40 pm »
Idea 2: A GBA cart that would emulate an E-reader, and would allow the input of all presently available codes for Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3. Short of that, I would like to see that rom patched with all the e-reader options
I think there's a way to embeed a save data with the E-Reader stuff. Why? Because I have it loaded in a ROM here.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 23, 2014, 02:13:09 pm »
Yeah there is save for SMA4 to have the ereader stuff loaded, though I believe there is not enough space to do them all.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-add-japan-only-sma4-e-reader-levels-to-your-us-eu-cart.257323/ has a guide to it if you want to go manual. I just checked most of the links and they all still work.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 23, 2014, 10:59:47 pm »
I would like to see a complete overhaul hack for the Super NES version of Mega Man X3 that does this stuff to it:

Change the musical instruments to the ones that were used in X1 and X2 to make the music sound better.
Tone down the difficulty to make the game more balanced.
Make the stages more funner to go through.
Better patterns for the bosses.
A option where you can choose to play as either X or Zero through the entire game, something like they did with X4.
Add a secret Dr. Light capsule where he gives you the ability to use the Hurricane Kick.

I would also like to see a complete overhaul hack for the Super NES version of Final Fight that does this stuff to it as well:

Restore everything that got censored back to their original uncensored form.
Restore Guy.
Restore Two Player Mode.
Restore The Industrial Area stage.
Have the second bonus stage appear after you beat The Industrial Area stage to make it more like the arcade version.
Restore Slash's afro hair from the arcade version.
Restore the F. Andore enemy.
Restore the stage transitions from the arcade version.
Add the missing arcade sound effects that were restore on the GBA version to this version.
Give the enemies and bosses their correct defeated screams instead of using Sodom's defeated scream.
Give the 2nd part of the Uptown stage it's correct music.
Add the difficulty settings, the two power-ups and the enemy placement from Final Fight Guy.
When you continue, you appear at the part of the stage you died on, instead of the beginning of the stage to make it more like the arcade version.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:17:15 am by SCD »

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 27, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »
Not sure if this idea has ever been hit on before, but considering there were a few 2-player hacks of a few games released recently, it got me thinking: what if Spiderman and Venom: Maximum Carnage was hacked to allow 2 players to play as Spiderman and Venom at the same time? Would that be at all possible?

I know Separation Anxiety had 2 players and that game's fun and all, but I just thought it would be cool to play the levels and beat up the bad guys from Maximum Carnage with a friend.

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:44 pm »
Or the first TMNT for NES!

vince94

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 29, 2014, 09:14:23 am »
Here's an idea - remove the "DX" from the titlescreen of Link's Awakening DX.
I've looked and looked at the ROM in YY-CHR, but I haven't been able to find the DX graphic, even though the rest of the title screen graphics are in there. Maybe somebody else on here will have more luck!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:23:22 pm by vince94 »

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 29, 2014, 08:54:59 pm »
Here's an idea - remove the "DX" from the titlescreen of Link's Awakening DX.
I've looked and looked at the ROM in YY-CHR, but I haven't been able to find the DX graphic, even though the rest of the title screen graphics are in there. Maybe somebody else on here will have more luck!

The "DX" is at 0E1800. Near the end. Above the "The devolopment team would like to thank you for playing" text.

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 31, 2014, 01:48:38 am »
A nice 'hack' archive, notably containing a Japanese hack for the Star Ocean SFC (Super Famicom) game.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18822.msg267783.html

And as for hack ideas for that same game, how about the ability to mute/remove certain sound effects via romhacking?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,18825.msg267811.html

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: November 01, 2014, 10:08:43 am »
I posted in both those topics.  The SFX one seemed to work just fine so try it out.  As for that Japanese hack one, that'd be a matter of comparing the an original rom and the modified one to see the differences.  If you're wanting it in English, then it'd be trying to port that over.  Most of the data shouldn't be that hard to throw over but it sounds like he made a few AI changes which could be a problem.  The items and stats though should just be a matter of copy/pasting along with the ability to swap Ratix (Though that was probably moved to empty space if they had to modify the routine heavily, which I almost doubt).
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: November 01, 2014, 06:13:57 pm »
Actually a pretty crazy challenge would be to graphics, level and music hack Kirby's Adventure on NES. Change Kirby into Raziel from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and have him sucking in souls and using enemy powers. With a nice soundtrack to go along with it and bosses from the game it would make for a nice tribute. Also the fact that Kirby is small, if Raziel is made proportionately small to his size, the levels could seem like they are immensely bigger. Also no flying by default you gain that from a boss.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 04, 2014, 01:16:29 am »
I want to see a hack for Mario Kart Wii that tones down the A.I. to the point where it doesn't throw every single item at you all the time. They made the A.I. way too aggressive in this game.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: November 04, 2014, 12:04:13 pm »
I'm gonna risk being called a heathen here. I think it's a fact that most if not all who've played Chrono Trigger love its soundtrack. However I never hear a word about its sound FX and I believe it's just because... well, they're mostly not very good. I'd have expected Square to do something about those in the PSX version, but nothing was changed, and I believe all the subsequent versions of Chrono Trigger use the original sound set.

Maybe it's a bit too much for the SNES to handle, but improving the sound effects for the NDS or the PSX version sounds like a possibility.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:30 pm »
I never really found anything wrong with the SNES sound effects.

Now, the PS1 version I think is using a crappy emulation of the SNES APU. (as it has some of the same particular flaws that fan emulators of the same time had.
I remember it was kind of a big deal with ZSNES got that wind sound effect to sound like something besides broken TV static. :P But I couldn't experience that first hand because I was still using a 486 at the time: sound and a playable framerate on that, are you kidding? :D )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018