News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1350745 times)

standigz

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1320 on: July 04, 2014, 04:11:19 pm »
I recently saw an AVGN (not in nerd personae) play Maniac Mansion, and that got me thinking. I've played the PC versions and the NES version (proto and release) and I realized that the NES point and click menu was a bit convoluted with redundant actions that could easily confuse new players with information overload.

For example: On the windows version (specifically a nice fan remake called Maniac Mansion Deluxe) the menu reads:

Give     Pick up   Use
Open   Look at  Push
Close   Talk to   Pull

*Then there's a little area to the side where you can select the two other characters

While the NES version has all of this:

Push  Open   Get   New Kid
Pull    Close   Use  Turn On
Give   Go To  Read Turn Off

It would be cool if there was a way to get that more like the PC version, something for the uncensored proto and release version.

ninjainspandex

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 05, 2014, 08:47:48 pm »
Hi new here :) I just got an Everdrive GB and I was wondering if there was a Romhack that would allow you to select the day and time everytime you started the game in Pokemon Crystal, seems like that would be a relatively simple hack and maybe it has already been done.  I think it has been done for gold and silver but not Crystal.  Thanks!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #1322 on: July 06, 2014, 02:15:58 am »
It'd be great if we had a better balanced Faselei, where there is not "one best mech" and you cannot grind to get all super-computers to have all moves. I think the fun was taken away when my mech could strafe left and right.

What do you guys think? How should the rules & characteristics be upgraded to enhance the challenge?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 06, 2014, 03:08:38 am »
Hi new here :) I just got an Everdrive GB and I was wondering if there was a Romhack that would allow you to select the day and time everytime you started the game in Pokemon Crystal, seems like that would be a relatively simple hack and maybe it has already been done.  I think it has been done for gold and silver but not Crystal.  Thanks!

Does http://bubbz.pocketheaven.com/?system=gbc&section=patch_info&patch_id=727 not work for you?

@BlackDog61
Somehow never heard of Faselei. Anyway balance hacks/mods like that are always welcome, it sounds like the game would benefit from it as well. However having not so much as heard of it I probably should play it before making calls.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #1324 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:33 am »
@BlackDog61
Somehow never heard of Faselei. Anyway balance hacks/mods like that are always welcome, it sounds like the game would benefit from it as well. However having not so much as heard of it I probably should play it before making calls.

Faselei is a sort of board game-SPRG hybrid. You command a mech by entering 5 commands, and executing them at the same time as others do the same. Hop to 2:55 in this video to see it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-9rELc2eHo
So say it's one of the best games for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
Hey, it might even qualify for that other thread you suggested about less well-known systems?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 06, 2014, 03:05:21 pm »
Yeah I had a look at a review of it. Looks like a nice example of things seen in a lot of games, a lot of well thought of games too.

The thread on other systems was not so much wanting to see people branch out but for those that do to be told even though we usually talk about the NES/SNES, and if not then it is probably the GB/GBC, GBA, DS or megadrive/genesis, around here that the basic stuff still applies despite what they might think.

ninjainspandex

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 06, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »
Does http://bubbz.pocketheaven.com/?system=gbc&section=patch_info&patch_id=727 not work for you?

That seems to work great! but it could probably be tweaked a little bit, it is a little cumbersome to change the day since you have to scroll through each 24 hour day.  Perhaps hold a button to scroll through the days?  And do you think this patch could be combined with http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1420/ ?  Kind of hard to evolve Pokemon via trading now days.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 06, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »
There is nothing that is cross purposes for those two hacks (it is not like trying to do one font change hack and then applying another that changes similar things), however if one hack uses space that the other uses then they will not nest properly and you get to remake things . How likely that is on the GB/GBC.... less than maybe the NES or older but more than the GBA. Backup your save and try it, order you apply the patches in should not matter on the GB/GBC.

I should note though a few emulators do support GB/GBC linking these days, can't say I have tried it but that might be an option.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #1328 on: July 06, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »
Chrono Trigger hack idea: Place a "Police Public Call Box" sprite graphic on top of all time gates. Player has to go into the box to activate the time gate. Make sure the box disappears as time gates close.

ninjainspandex

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 06, 2014, 11:30:59 pm »
There is nothing that is cross purposes for those two hacks (it is not like trying to do one font change hack and then applying another that changes similar things), however if one hack uses space that the other uses then they will not nest properly and you get to remake things . How likely that is on the GB/GBC.... less than maybe the NES or older but more than the GBA. Backup your save and try it, order you apply the patches in should not matter on the GB/GBC.

I should note though a few emulators do support GB/GBC linking these days, can't say I have tried it but that might be an option.

How about this for a Pokemon Crystal Hack, instead of having a RTC have a clock linked to your time played.  Where time is accelerated were maybe 1 hour played = 6 hours advanced on the clock.  That way you can experience the night and day transitions even if you only play during the day?  And time would advance in game on a flash cart since the time and day is linked to your time played and not require a clock battery on the cart.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 07, 2014, 04:20:26 am »
I believe there have been similar hacks for various on cart RTC sporting pokemon games.

I am probably not going to be the one to do it, fortunately you have a hack there that can change the game's time all while nothing much else happens so you can probably narrow down a cheat easily enough. From there it is probably just a matter of subverting that and adding a shift* of something, it may happen that you go out of bounds (end up with 24:30) or something and you have to add bounds checking back in or work around it in another way.

*in case you are unfamiliar a shift is a simple way to multiply by 2 (another giving 4, then 8.....) in binary. It the same thing that allows you to stick a 0 on the end/shift the decimal place when you multiply by 10 (and then 100 and then 1000) in decimal.

Bonus 2 that is also how I would set about making a rapid speed mod to spare you having to go through the days to set time as it were -- whatever it adds then do a shift or three.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 08, 2014, 10:02:21 pm »
Hack the SNES version of Yoshi's Cookie to:

A. Restore the unused title skit from the 8-bit versions.
B. Rearrange the soundtrack to be consistent with the other versions of the game:
  • Action A = unchanged
  • Action B = VS A
  • Action C = VS B
  • VS A = Action C
  • VS B = 2P C
  • VS C = Action B

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 09, 2014, 04:53:50 am »
I've just found an awesome game called Knight Move for the Famicom Disk System. But... the thing is, I have NES emulators on a couple of consoles which won't read .fds roms. Is there anyone talented enough to turn it into an .nes rom? I've seen many .fds games converted to .nes, so all I know is that it's do-able... I don't know how simple or complex the process could be...
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #1333 on: July 10, 2014, 12:19:16 am »
That looks great. I've recently been getting into a lot of FDS games. The Irem Super Lode Runners for example featuredco-op multiplayer.

My Android emulator claims support, but I can't seem to get the disk side swap to work. And swapping sides is often inconvenient in other emulators. Considering how few FDS-->NES conversions there are, I'd assume it's pretty difficult. Also, some of the ones I've come across sound pretty horrible when converted.

It's actually one of the pressing factors in me finally caving in and getting an Everdrive. Automatic Disk Side Swapping for fds ROMs sounds very tempting. I hope it works as well as I imagine.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 10, 2014, 03:09:43 am »
I too would love to see some convert a FDS game into a NES one, this way a translation of The Adventures of Chataran as The Adventures of Milo and Otis will be finally do able

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:21 pm »
I've just found an awesome game called Knight Move for the Famicom Disk System. But... the thing is, I have NES emulators on a couple of consoles which won't read .fds roms. Is there anyone talented enough to turn it into an .nes rom? I've seen many .fds games converted to .nes, so all I know is that it's do-able... I don't know how simple or complex the process could be...
It depends on how the game is programmed.
FDS used 32K PRG-RAM mapped to $6000-DFFF (program/data can be loaded anywhere in that address space). Carts used ROM mapped $8000-FFFF. Also because its RAM games could rewrite data within the program at runtime.
I recall the guy who wrote a MMC5 hack of Doki-Doki Panic had a bit of trouble at one point because Nintendo chose to load some block at $BF00 instead of $C000 (where it would've been easier to bankswap in a cart-ROM hack).
So I heard a lot of early FDS to NES ROM "conversions" (of black-box era games, which had no loading after the game starts, where simply a dump of $8000-DFFF portion of the FDS RAM+ the FDS BIOS, plus the $6000-7FFF part as a SRAM).
And then of course there's the extra FM sound channel.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:49 am »
Good day, community.

This is an idea that I've been having since quite sometime now, and since Luigi has always been my prefered character in the Mario franchise, I wanted to ask if there is a possibility of hacking the SM64 rom to add an option to play as Luigi in Super Mario 64.

I know it is possible since SM64: The Missing Stars adds an option that allows you to play as Luigi by pressing D-Pad left, and then going back to Mario by pressing D-Pad right.

Now the thing is:
1) How difficult would it be to include such feature in a normal SM64 rom? I mean to be able to play as Luigi in NORMAL, unmodified stages, not the ones from Missing Stars nor any other modified levels.
2) Could a custom SFX sound be implemented for Luigi so he doesn't use the same SFX sounds as Mario?
3) In the case in which it would be TOO difficult to include an option to add Luigi from scratch, could it be possible to modify the levels from a Missing Stars rom and changing the layouts again so the stages are the same as they were originally?

Please, let me know of any tools that could help to achieve such thing, or if there is a hack that already does this, let me know too.

IllumiNavi

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 12, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »
Yes, there are many hacks with Luigi replacing Mario. You can easily google it and find a patch for it. There are also other character hacks as well, including Kirby, Wario, and Sonic. I'm actually also working on a Mr. Game & Watch hack.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 12, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
Yes, there are many hacks with Luigi replacing Mario. You can easily google it and find a patch for it. There are also other character hacks as well, including Kirby, Wario, and Sonic. I'm actually also working on a Mr. Game & Watch hack.

Yep I am aware of that.
Problem is that I do not want a simple replacement.
I want the option to choose between the two on the same ROM.

I know there are other ROMS that change Luigi instead of Mario, but that just makes it easy to do with Toad's Tool 64.
But the thing is that I want to have the option.

And since I don't think it would be possible to do with some heavy in-depth hack of the rom, my best bet would be to replace the stages from Missing Stars and change them back to the original.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 13, 2014, 01:12:16 am »
Am I the only one that thinks that Wrecking Crew '98 should be translated? XD
I don't really know how difficult it would be to translate a Super Famicom/SNES game from Japanese to English, but I don't think it would take that long, since it's not a text-heavy game like Mother 2 (which I would like it to be translated too) or another RPG on the system.