News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 1386544 times)

Jonesy47

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #1240 on: May 13, 2014, 07:02:28 pm »
edit: Holy crap, i just necro-quoted something from 2007...

Anyway, here's a hack idea for everyone. Fix the scrolling in Konami Wai Wai World!
I mean, LOOK AT THIS CRAP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGS59odJBKQ#t=13

Makes the game, which is actually a cool idea at the very least (basically, you rescue and, afterwards, get to play as some major Konami characters from their best ip's at the time, in levels also inspired by those awesome konami games), ridiculous to try to play through. I feel like I can't even enjoy the game they tried to make in the correct manner the way it scrolls. Fixing it would be an awesome gameplay improvement and finally maybe make the game somewhat enjoyable.

Clippit

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:33 pm »
edit: Holy crap, i just necro-quoted something from 2007...

Anyway, here's a hack idea for everyone. Fix the scrolling in Konami Wai Wai World!
I mean, LOOK AT THIS CRAP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGS59odJBKQ#t=13

Makes the game, which is actually a cool idea at the very least (basically, you rescue and, afterwards, get to play as some major Konami characters from their best ip's at the time, in levels also inspired by those awesome konami games), ridiculous to try to play through. I feel like I can't even enjoy the game they tried to make in the correct manner the way it scrolls. Fixing it would be an awesome gameplay improvement and finally maybe make the game somewhat enjoyable.
Uhmm... I'm not really sure if this is what you're looking for, but... something's been already done about it: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/655/
"I swear my victory to this feather!"

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 13, 2014, 07:25:18 pm »
Uhmm... I'm not really sure if this is what you're looking for, but... something's been already done about it: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/655/

!!!!
TESTING THIS NOW. BE BACK WITH RESULTS.

edit: Yup, that fixed it! Awesome! I keep up to date with this website quite frequently but I guess that must've flown under my radar. Thanks, dude.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 14, 2014, 08:55:06 pm »
It is this for real?
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 15, 2014, 12:46:36 pm »
diddy don't have enough strong for piggyback donkey lol

maybe can be used the sprite of get a barrel with some changes

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: May 16, 2014, 11:21:05 pm »
So, I was playing Moon for DS and noticed there are only two control schemes: Left and Right Handed. Neither offered an alternate way to interact with the game other than move, shoot and stylus actions (aim, action, weapon cycle, map). Meanwhile, the 3DS remake got this:

So, my idea is of a hack for the NDS version that adds the aim and action keys to the mapping, similar to this one, while still making it possible to use action and aim through the stylus too. Basically: implement 3DS's control scheme in the DS version, except for the Weapon Cycle (which, due to DS's limitation, must stick to the touch screen. But this is not a problem like aiming or actions).

In addition, the programmer that makes this hack could try and add a way to control sensitivity, before or after applying the patch.

Oh, another addition to the idea: turn Select button into a View Map button.

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 17, 2014, 05:30:40 am »
Here is a project of mine that I haven't really shown publicly until now. A couple summers ago I was extremely passionate about making my own Super Mario Kart hack and so I started one, but because of school I only managed so much. So now I'm pulling out all my notes and designs from then and getting back to work! :)

I grew up on this game as a kid and would love to one day release my own version of the game as a hack.

Now, I may not be an ASM expert, but coding is only one aspect of making video games.

Even though I can code somewhat, I'm far better at designing things. In fact the designing aspect in many ways is just as important as the coding aspect.

You can have excellent coding, but without good level design the game suffers and you can have excellent level design, but without good code nothing is going to work right.

Both are very important to a successful game or hack and thankfully us designers are grateful that there are programmers out there who make editors that enable quick editing of roms, like Super Mario Kart.

So after deciding to make a SMK hack I then downloaded the available editors for it and started playing with them.

I wanted to design all of the tracks first before I did anything else. It's a somewhat daunting task because the tracks are what make or break the game. The tracks have to be fun, interesting and have replay value and maybe sport a small secret or two.

Almost all of my design work starts on paper in the form of sketches. I find it very hard to just use an editor alone to create something meaningful. It's not impossible to do it that way, but I find it much easier to make a quick sketch before I start laying down the tiles.

Here is my first completed level/track that I made in one of the editors. Interestingly its a battle track.

This track is the result of me drawing out about 40 sketches of battle tracks and painstakingly test playing them and then deciding if I liked them and whether they were fun or not.

Out of the 40 something designs that I made........... this is the only one that I was happy with.

Talk about dedication... a lesser designer would have settled on other designs, but not me. I value the fun factor that the original games bring and if you make something as a hacker or designer and its not fun then what is the point to releasing it for others to play?

So here it is... and its just as fun as it looks!

I've also sketched out several of the actual race tracks too, but they all exist on paper to be later recreated in an editor. I will probably take some photos of those and post them in my next post.

One thing that I'd like to end this post with are some tips for anyone else designing a SMK hack or any type of racing game for that matter.

While designing the SMK tracks I would get inspiration from rubber bands! What rubber bands??? Yes, take a rubber band and just stretch it, poke it and bend it on a table. The rubber band represents the path of the race track and this is an easy and quick way to get ideas for your tracks flowing!

Just look at these rubber bands in the image. Instant race tacks!!! Now its not always as easy as just trowing some rubber bands down on the table when creating your tracks, but it sure does help the ideas get sparking when your getting started.

One thing that I found that was better in some cases than the rubber bands were the ball and chain straps that usually come attached with pens. Rubber bands are nice because their flexible and curve well, but they always bounce back unless you have them tied down. A closed ball and chain strap however, is nice because you can manipulate it without it deforming back into a standard loop. You have more control in terms on getting down a permanent design that you can still make changes to even hours later. Plus its just super fun to play with these things!!!

I don't yet have a name for the hack yet, but that will come with time. The main thing I'm focusing on is just getting down the designs for the tracks. Once I have those I can then make them in the editor and go form there.

I'll post images of the other tracks that I've sketched out next time.

May 18, 2014, 06:29:02 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
can someone please tell me why my super mario kart hack thread got moved to the idea section.

clearly this is not a stand alone idea and it is a real project since my level was created in a real editor for this game which took me many hours.

also clearly there is nothing offensive nor am i breaking any rules in my super mario kart thread post.

i would really like an explanation on why i can not have my mario kart hack thread in the projects section.

thanks
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:29:02 am by fellowroot »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 18, 2014, 11:36:52 am »
Remove the instructions screen in the first Mario Party. This is an option in the mini-game house, so just apply it to the real party game. With only 50 mini-games, we don't really need to be instructed.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 19, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »
A remake of the palette hack for the GBA version of Breath of Fire 1.  At one time this existed but it's been lost completely, and for some reason now the BoF2 version still exists while the original doesn't.

It's pretty sad because of all of the improvements the GBA version brought, especially considering only the GBA version has a text cleanup patch.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:28:02 pm by Chronosplit »

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:33 am »
Guys, I remembered something I need here.

Do some of you guys remember Final Fantasy Tactics for PSX, where you could steal the Genji Gear from Elmdor in Chapter 4, Limberry Castle? In Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for PSP, this isn't possible. Square Enix made the extreme douchery of inserting innate Safeguard (leaves people immune to stealing or breaking) into Elmdor's class. This renders the Genji Gear, except for the Armor, unobtainable in the PSP version. I find this unacceptable and I need someone who can do the job.

(I would ask the guys at ID, but I don't think they would make a separate patch for the vanilla PSP version, although they seemed to fix this on their FFT:WotL 1.3 (now called Tides of Fate) hack.)

So, can anyone fix the crap that Square Enix made to screw us?

SJRT

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:12 pm »
Would anyone consider restoring the cut content found in the Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition Prototypes and putting them in the final version of the game?  Youtube user: glitchhunter09 has demonstrated the cut content.  I would not mind seeing a remake of the level section screen as well where you can actually see all of the level pictures.

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 22, 2014, 08:06:58 pm »
I think it would be cool to change two Lucasfilm NES games into sequel/prequel games that were never made. Since there were two Star Wars (Namco in Japan, JVC in US) and two Indy Last Crusade (Taito, Ubi Soft) games, why not turn them into Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark, using the Namco and Ubi versions, respectively. Shouldn't be too hard, except for changing/ translating/ fake localizing the cut scenes in Star Wars, both movies have Death Stars... And I don't think the Ubi Indy has any story anyway.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 23, 2014, 02:38:59 pm »
There were actually three Star Wars games for the NES, two by JVC, one by Namco.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 23, 2014, 05:05:28 pm »
This game kinda little bit get my nerve because I need someone make a hack after you lose your life, everything you found in game that you will keep it than start over from 0.  Can anyone make this hack?
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 23, 2014, 05:06:21 pm »
except i think they changed that in the 360 version

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 23, 2014, 05:34:36 pm »
except i think they changed that in the 360 version
Really?  Hmm.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 23, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »
So someone in another forum posted an old ad for a Japanese retro-game store, with a Mega Drive game misspelled "WWF Law".
Unintentional idea inspiration! :)
I mean, isn't pro-wrestling largely attitude anyways? :P (at least that's the impression I've always gotten when my dad watched the shows)
Why not put them to work fighting criminals in a beat-em-up?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #1257 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:14 pm »
Could name them Phoenix Wrestle and Miles Edgering!

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 23, 2014, 09:42:09 pm »
There were actually three Star Wars games for the NES, two by JVC, one by Namco.

Right, I know that, but when I said "Star Wars", I meant "A New Hope". So there are two A New Hope games, one ESB and zero RotJ games for NES.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 24, 2014, 01:08:37 am »
Hack ideas
- a hack to fix all the ballbusting flaws of the Namcot "Star Wars" game
- overhaul hack of Chojin Sentai Jetman with reskinning it to the Moonscop adaptation of "Geronimo Stilton"
- overhaul hack of Tengen's Ms. Pac-Man to a port of Jr. Pac-Man