News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2468134 times)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #960 on: December 20, 2013, 12:42:05 am »
It's doable, but it would be tricky.  For starters, you can't have a boss select screen that shows all Robot Masters due to 1) Screen size 2) available graphics memory and 3) color limits.  First thing to do would be to separate them into individual pages to make it work properly, so that issue is out of the way.

Secondly, you can't merge games, even if they are similar.  At best, you could port the bosses over to one game, all you have to do is decipher their pattern programming and remake it for the subject's engine.  The Multicarts just simply switch from one game to the next.

Thirdly, there's no consensus as to what weapons are effective to which bosses from what game, so it'd be up to speculation, and as one said, would lead to balance issues.

Finally, there's space restrains.  Most NES boards wouldn't be able to hold this much data, so it'd have to use something like MMC5 or another large board.  It is doable, but the work needed would be tremendous, even if all the data and stuff is ready.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 20, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,3282.msg251359.html#msg251359

I'm still waiting for the one who will tackle the Wild Arms 4 challenge.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 26, 2013, 02:48:02 pm »
How about hacks for Final Fantasy based on Koei's Warriors Orochi story?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 26, 2013, 06:21:05 pm »
As you have left it open ended I guess you do not want a simple sprite swap and name change. Such a question usually being "what you if you made a warriors game but in the final fantasy engine", so you want basically what is known as a total conversion of the game ( http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/143/ if you want an example of the scope of things that can be changed).

To that end yeah I guess you could do it. It would be an awful lot of work and you be hard pressed to put a team together for it.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 27, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »
As you have left it open ended I guess you do not want a simple sprite swap and name change. Such a question usually being "what you if you made a warriors game but in the final fantasy engine", so you want basically what is known as a total conversion of the game ( http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/143/ if you want an example of the scope of things that can be changed).

To that end yeah I guess you could do it. It would be an awful lot of work and you be hard pressed to put a team together for it.
Yeah, something like that. I just had the idea without much to talk about it (oops!)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 28, 2013, 01:29:30 am »
I have two ideas, though they might not be simple.

First would be taking existing FDS games and giving them translations, such as Gyruss.  It'd be too much work to hack said game to use something other than the FDS, so maybe we could just rewrite FDS games using cheap mahjong disks.

The second would be hacking the NES Ultima IV:  Quest of the Avatar to make the random encounter system work more like it did in the original game.  In the NES game, a counter counts up to 255 at a varying speed, slowest when you stand still, fastest when you walk around certain terrain.  But in the original versions, and the NES version of Ultima III:  Exodus, the monsters wander around in the overworld, and you could avoid combat completely if you didn't wish to fight.  There's good news, as the pirate ships in the NES version work close enough to the original encounter system, so maybe that could be jury rigged to have monsters wander around in the overworld instead?  The NES' random encounter system gets annoying after a time of standing still waiting for the moongates to show up.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 28, 2013, 06:33:38 am »
On the wandering monsters might there be sprite/memory limit issues? The ships still being there is an interesting thing to note and I would certainly note it if I were to be considering such a hack but it might not mean anything in the long run. That said I must admit I do prefer the wandering system from games I have encountered it in (ahh Grandia) but would a button combo to reset the timer be an acceptable alternative? Maybe instead of a button combo a skill/timer thing might work as most wandering systems tend to require you to be on the ball all the time.

On the FDS stuff I guess. However FDS supporting flash carts are a thing now I believe.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 28, 2013, 12:26:50 pm »
How about a reskin of the NES version of Elevator Action to make it more detailed like late era NES games?

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 28, 2013, 01:40:51 pm »
On the wandering monsters might there be sprite/memory limit issues?

That's funny since in the original Ultima IV, the only sprites on screen were just of the Avatar.  No one followed you, that seems like it was thrown in to make it look even more like Dragon Quest.  I guess the reason they did that is because the PC game had a constant menu screen active that told you who was in and what class they were, which does show up if you press A in the NES version.  I reckon they removed it because there'd be scrolling issues with a small playable area clashing with a constant black box.  The NES prided itself with how smooth scrolling was, but the original PC game did tile-by-tile scrolling, so it could be a relic of that.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #969 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:52 pm »
How about a reskin of the NES version of Elevator Action to make it more detailed like late era NES games?

This, I've contemplated, especially since Elevator Action Returns on the arcade is one of my favorite games of all time.

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 31, 2013, 03:16:12 am »
I have a Powerpak and I take it to a local bar every Monday night. Sometimes I get request for games that I own but have not uploaded to the CF card yet. Sometimes when I do upload a game, I get the error message, "Bad Header." I know exactly what this means, and its very easy to fix the .rom file with a utility on my computer. But, when I'm at the bar I don't have my computer with me, so I propose an NES rom that's a utility to clean NES rom file headers that is run from the Powerpak. For example, I could run a random rom from my Powerpak, and I get the header error message, I hard reset the system and run a rom called "Header_Cleaner.nes" This "game" asks me to locate the file in question. Once I do, the program cleans the header and replaces the original rom file. Then I run the rom I started off trying to run, and presto, no error.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:28 am »
Writing to carts from the devices themselves is quite often an annoying activity. How much of that is people not understanding the full protocols of everything involved (and you might have to go through the device, the card, the FAT system and then you are in) is a different matter.
Also depending upon what has to be done to the header can trouble things again -- even as far forward as the GBA a simple string search was enough to grind things to a halt. Granted much of that was also because the end user probably wanted to play things there and then (you probably do not give a damn about 2 minutes, that would be fatal if you added that to a load time).
Similarly is it even a possibility? It might have to write the saves but if I was being a flash cart maker I would probably abstract the save stuff away from the user.

Personally I would probably bring a laptop with me (even the shoddiest netbook should do), I did have a quick look to see if there was any android stuff available but came up short and apparently reading CF cards is easier said than done on Android.

Alternatively many nes tools have a command line option so you could probably stick the header fixer on the CF and make a batch file to just fix everything on the CF. Worst case scenario there is false positive for fixing but that should not too hard to work around and far easier than making a nes native tool to do it.

PersistedUser

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 31, 2013, 03:49:05 pm »
I'm so sorry for being so noobish with this post   :-[
As of right now, my only means of computing on the go is using a Chromebook, for school and stuff. I love retro games, though.
Since I currently use Chrome OS (this may be one of its only flaws and I actually love the OS itself), this means my only means of emulation is using the internet.
I currently use "NESBox," which lets me emulate Genesis, NES, and SNES roms.
The only problem is that I am unable to save any game and then leave, but I can use save states. I cannot soft reset either.
My favorite video game of all time is Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
However, I am unable to quit the game and return to the title without using a savestate, meaning that it is impossible to get the chaos emeralds/super emeralds on another try or using the level select after the game is beat.  :'(
I was wondering if someone out there can create a simple hack which allows me to return to the title screen by pausing and pressing a specific button.
I know that if you use the level select cheat, you can press "A" to return to the title screen, so this is possible, so I was wondering if someone could permanently apply this to the game or something similar, as I, as of right now, have no means to learn to program or program the rom at all.  :banghead: Once again, I'm sorry for this noobish post  :-[
If this was possible, I could create my own manual save by returning to the title screen.

If you want me to, I will even provide my own rom: (REMOVED)

Your reward is my eternal gratitude.  :) Trust me, after this, no more posts like this.  :-X

Thank you for reading, and extra thanks if you succeed in my request   :D

-Persisted User (Matt)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:01:54 pm by KingMike »

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #973 on: December 31, 2013, 06:12:34 pm »
I was wondering if someone out there can create a simple hack which allows me to return to the title screen by pausing and pressing a specific button.

Your reward is my eternal gratitude.  :) Trust me, after this, no more posts like this.  :-X

-Persisted User (Matt)

Here you go.  Only tested it a few times, but it should work anywhere, and with any character.

Sonic 3 + Knuckles

RELA-A6V8
Pause the game anywhere and press A to go to the title screen.

December 31, 2013, 06:46:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's another new Game Genie code that might be helpful.  Can be used with the code above if you want...

Sonic 3 + Knuckles

AVFA-AA7J
Enables level select.  At the title screen, press Up until you see "Sound Test" and then press Start.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:01:20 pm by Tony H »
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:49 pm »
I'm sure you guys have heard of Super Mario Crossover, right?  The flash game where you can play as other NES characters in SMB?  I'm fairly certain people have asked if it would be possible to have this made for the NES instead of being a flash game.  Well, I've had an idea.  I was thinking that SMC for the NES would actually be a multicart where each game (Contra, Ninja Gaiden, etc) has it's levels structured in a way that resembles SMB.  The enemies would be reskinned and recoded to act as the SMB enemies, but everything else, from music to physics, will be identical as their original game.  Only problem would be giving this multicart the ability to "remember" certain values as it switches from game to game.

Would this idea be a feasible way of accomplishing it?

SmashFan127

• View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:52 pm »
Well, I still have the idea of switching a party member out with Janus Cascade in Wild Arms 3, if anyone would like to talk about it in PM.

PersistedUser

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 31, 2013, 08:42:28 pm »
Here you go.  Only tested it a few times, but it should work anywhere, and with any character.

Sonic 3 + Knuckles

RELA-A6V8
Pause the game anywhere and press A to go to the title screen.

December 31, 2013, 06:46:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's another new Game Genie code that might be helpful.  Can be used with the code above if you want...

Sonic 3 + Knuckles

AVFA-AA7J
Enables level select.  At the title screen, press Up until you see "Sound Test" and then press Start.

Awesome...Unfortunately, I am unable to use Game Genie codes  :'(
I would love to apply these codes to the rom, but...I cannot run any Windows programs.
Thank you anyways, though.

-Matt

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #977 on: December 31, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »
Awesome...Unfortunately, I am unable to use Game Genie codes  :'(
I would love to apply these codes to the rom, but...I cannot run any Windows programs.
Thank you anyways, though.

-Matt

I can hack the codes into a ROM if you'd like. 
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

PersistedUser

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:10 am »
I can hack the codes into a ROM if you'd like.

Please, all that is holy onto the Fonz, please do this for me!  :o
If you do this, I will marry you.  ;D
Thank you.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:24 am »
Game Genie codes (for Genesis) are simply a ROM address and a replacement value.
You just look up a decoder on the Internet, put the Game Genie code in and it tells you the above.
Then you open a hex editor, go to that address, type in the replacement value and you're done.

(For other consoles: on SNES you have an extra step as you have to convert the decoded address from a SNES CPU address, and on NES, GB and GG the Game Genie codes contain a Compare value, which is a way to get around the bankswapping issues that the 16-bit consoles (generally) don't have)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018