News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2457809 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #940 on: December 02, 2013, 05:42:41 am »
I do not quite follow. There were some crash themed racing games (team nitro and nitro kart) on later consoles.

Otherwise it sounds like you want to hack the PS1 Crash Team Racing game to add in custom tracks.

There have been some minor forays into it with the addition of Nitros Oxide probably being the more notable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-oaaWsPE8

That said as far as custom things go (asset ripping it always a popular pastime http://www.vg-resource.com/showthread.php?tid=17673 as is cheat making http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1161/ ) precious little work has gone into any of the kart racing games that are not named mario kart*.
The video above speaks of memory issues so you will probably be in for a fun time as you will most likely have to start from scratch.

You might not have to delete tracks either -- this was the PS1 remember which used optical media rather than carts. A quick scan of a downloads site says the PSP conversion of it is around 200 megs which should give you quite a bit to play with.

*though it seems a few people liked the idea of importing the tracks into the Wii mario kart game, they did not appear to get far though -- http://wiki.tockdom.com/w/index.php?title=Crash_Bandicoot and http://www.mariokartwii.com/f72/mkw-crash-team-racing-84704.html .

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 03, 2013, 03:37:01 am »
I have yet another hypothetical question for a hack.  I was thinking that Skate or Die for the NES would've been a perfect port if it was made for the FDS instead, as it would keep the loading times from the C64 version intact.  :P  Likewise, I believe the FDS' audio could somewhat replicate those keyboard and guitar samples, considering it used an early form of wavetable synthesis.

lknight

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 09, 2013, 02:15:06 pm »
im trying to find an editor for top gear 2 or 3000 (both for SNES) that lets one edit stats for the car parts, but more importantly; i am wondering how i can edit/modify the tracks in those games, or is that difficult..?

Mayorofunkytown

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 12, 2013, 10:45:30 pm »
There are a ton of Megaman hacks but unless I'm mistaken this one doesn't exist. This is for the original Megaman.

Update to get rid of the useless point system.
Change the pickups to the ones we have come to know.
Add Time Man and Oil Man from powered up.
And maybe an update to the graphics in general but mostly those first three.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 13, 2013, 01:27:29 pm »
There is an Upgrade patch for MM1 being worked on that converts the game to MMC3 and expands the ROM.
IIRC it removes the point system too.
For the rest someone would have to add that content, but at least now there's plenty of space to add all that.
And since adding Oilman and Timeman is in line with my old "Megaman: Powered Down" hack, I'm planning to do exactly that.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: December 14, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »
While we're on the subject of the original Mega Man game, maybe we could make the Robot Masters appear in the boss rooms from the top of the screen, like in the other Mega Man games.

And maybe we could edit Mega Man 6 so that the Robot Masters do their "stage selected" animations before you fight them, like in the other games.

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 15, 2013, 08:53:27 am »
Would be cool if someone could hack SotN to have these amazing rewritten conversations:

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5602.0

The hard part, of course, would be to find some great voice talents. ;)

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 15, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »
How about a hack of River City Ransom EX with a grindhouse style plotline and revert the characters names back to Kunio and Riki

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 16, 2013, 07:30:06 pm »
I was wondering now if it would be possible to put the Saturn version content into the PSX version. I mean, play as Maria, the new areas, ya know.

Mayorofunkytown

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 17, 2013, 01:29:27 am »
There is an Upgrade patch for MM1 being worked on that converts the game to MMC3 and expands the ROM.
IIRC it removes the point system too.
For the rest someone would have to add that content, but at least now there's plenty of space to add all that.
And since adding Oilman and Timeman is in line with my old "Megaman: Powered Down" hack, I'm planning to do exactly that.
Nice. Look forward to it. :)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 17, 2013, 04:50:32 am »
I would like to see a hack for the Genesis version of OutRun that brightens up all the color palettes in this game to make it look more like the arcade version and add the option to use a automatic transmission setting for the car.

I also would like to see a hack for Super Mario Bros. 3 that gives Luigi his own set of sprites instead of sharing Mario's.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:11:17 pm by SCD »

SmashFan127

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 17, 2013, 08:00:54 am »
One hack I would like to see on the PSX RPG Wild Arms 2 is the ability to play as enemies, like Lord Blazer, Vinsfeld, Caina, Ptolomea, Judecca, Antenora, heck maybe even Liz and Ard!

jonwvsu

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 17, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »
I would love to figure out how to skip the text in SMB3, but I have no idea where to begin. Would anyone have any suggestions?

michaelghm

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 18, 2013, 03:08:22 am »
Hello there:-) I am a big Mega Man Fan and I started with one and played all the Nes Games.
I would like to know, if there is a hack which combines all Mega Man 1 till 6 games in one game. So that you can select all the levels and robot masters to defeat. I would DIE for such a game. Imagine killing Pharao man with Bubbles etc:-) That would be awesome and imagine the full selectscreen. If anyone has the skill PLEAAASSSEEEEE

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 18, 2013, 01:22:43 pm »
I know there are 6-in-1 bootleg multicarts. No idea if they are emulated, let alone possible to hack.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

michaelghm

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:20 am »
thanks for the answer, but is it possible to defeat a boss of megaman 6 with the bossweapon of megaman 1 than?
I know that there is a 25th anniversary game out there with all 6 games, but they are still sepereated on the card. My idea was to bring all bosses and levels in one game

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 19, 2013, 06:49:47 am »
Would be too much to put on an NES ROM. A PC game though you could do that.

michaelghm

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 19, 2013, 08:11:27 am »
So NES Roms are limited even if you play them on a DSI with Emulator? :'-(

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:14 pm »
You can make game/hack specific emulators for hacks. I have yet to see one at this level (at best someone will rip assets and make a new game if they are heading down this path). Most ROM hacking and flash cart/console hacking communities tend not to encourage things there beyond high res textures and the like though.

Beyond that though how well would it work? Every megaman game I have played is pretty clear in the "this works against this, this works against that....." type thing and adding in a whole bunch of new weapons or bosses would make for some serious balance/effectiveness issues.

michaelghm

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 19, 2013, 01:59:17 pm »
I've seen some prohackers which made new bossorders, so it would extend the options for beating bosses. For example there are 4 scissors to beat 3 papers and 3 papers to beat 4 rocks.