News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2528324 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #880 on: October 28, 2013, 10:43:14 pm »
As usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You're post isn't actually adding anything to the conversation either.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 29, 2013, 01:08:14 am »

um...what? o_O

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:24 am »

Actually, he added something. He added that you don't know jack about SNES hacking. And he's right, considering the huge list of SNES hacks on this site...

So, BMF, for the UMK3 case, I was thinking here, would it be possible for a small start? I mean, putting Sheeva back (her data is still on the game, considering the Sheeva Ghost Glitch on the classic 8-on-8 Mode), adding the missing sound effects, the missing stages, gettting Motaro back to the Balcony...

And then, we would move on to the additives, starting by the  MKT ones: Johnny Cage, Raiden, Baraka, MK1 Kano/Raiden, MK2 Kung Lao/Jax, the finish moves added in this game...

Also, I know that this would raise substantially the ROM size (considering the 2,5x increase in size for the Genesis UMK3 in UMKT, and I know most hacks generally do a "pin-exchanging", swapping something for other thing of the exact same size and mass), and I'm wondering if some SNES emulator is able to back this up. Maybe No$SNS?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:33 am »
To be fair I read that as pertaining to the ports of the games in question, and it would not be the first time that I had heard the SNES mortal kombats were not quite so amenable to hacking as their megadrive/genesis counterparts.

@ Jeville. I was perhaps not as clear as I should have been as that youtube video apparently features a text dumping/editing/inserting tool.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:34 pm »
Anyway, to advance my idea for the Moomin themed Pac-in-Time (SNES) hack with improvements over the craptacular original SNES game

The game should progress in styles of the characters Moomin (Moomintroll) and Sniff
in these orders
- Their looks in the comic strips and books
- their looks from the TMS/Mushi 1969-72 "Moomin" anime
- Moomin and Sniff's looks in the 1972 "New Moomin" anime
- Sniff and Moomin's looks in the famous stop-motion series
- Sniff and Moomin's looks from the 1990s anime "Moomin" (otherwise known as "Tanoshii Moomin Ikka")

Yes, research and what not is involved but it will be worth it!

BMF54123

• View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:58 pm »
The reason Sheeva et al. were removed from UMK3 in the first place is because the original MK3 was already a 4MB ROM (the maximum size you could address at the time without using a non-standard mapping or special chip), and they simply couldn't fit any more characters/stages in without sacrificing some. I'm not terribly familiar with the Genesis UMK3 expansion, but if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't work in most emulators or on a standard cart because it uses a non-standard mapping.

Your best bet for expanding the SNES version would probably be to utilize the data streaming feature of the MSU-1 (an expansion chip present in both bsnes/higan and the sd2snes flashcart), which gives you access to up to 4GB of data stored in a separate .msu data file. Basically, you would move things that are loaded into RAM once at the beginning of a round (e.g. sounds and background graphics) into the data file, and keep things that need to be quickly copied/DMA'd from ROM during gameplay (player sprites?) in the 4MB ROM. It would by no means be an easy task, but it IS doable.

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 29, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »
I'm not a skilled hacker (actually I'm not even a hacker), but it seems like a task I would be up to.

Can you show me a tool I can use to disassemble the UMK3 ROM?

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 29, 2013, 11:26:12 pm »
Extensive SNES hacks are pretty much restricted to SMW. Genesis has Mortal Kombat 2, UMK3, and the Sonic series. Most of the SMW hacks are tool assisted anyway and few of them even work on real hardware. I think I'm right in saying Genesis is easier to hack extensively than the SNES is.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 30, 2013, 12:08:41 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:27:09 am by Chpexo »

BMF54123

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 30, 2013, 12:13:56 am »
I'm not a skilled hacker (actually I'm not even a hacker), but it seems like a task I would be up to.

Can you show me a tool I can use to disassemble the UMK3 ROM?

This one might work.

Do note that it is not specifically tailored to UMK3 (or any other game, for that matter), so you're going to have to manually identify all the code and data blocks, e.g. which routines and data actually do what. There is no "magic bullet" when it comes to disassembly, unfortunately.

Honestly, though...if you don't even consider yourself a hacker, I'm just gonna be blunt and say that this is not an ideal first project to tackle (or even an ideal first console). A project of this scope would likely be daunting to even the most experienced hackers, given the sheer amount of work involved. You'd be much better off starting simpler (e.g. the NES) and working your way up from there. Read tutorials, learn 6502 ASM, talk to other hackers, and most of all: experiment! FCEUX 2.2.2 has an amazing set of debugging and hacking tools built in; I would suggest you jump in and play around with those to really get a feel for what this ROM hacking business is all about.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 30, 2013, 06:38:34 am »
Most of the SMW hacks are tool assisted anyway and few of them even work on real hardware.

Most of the newer hacks on SMW Central get turned down if they break on hardware-accurate emulators, so that might be changing.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 30, 2013, 11:02:12 am »
Most of the SMW hacks are tool assisted anyway and few of them even work on real hardware.
I think you mean tool-created.
Tool-assisted is a means of playing the game.

And yes, that would mean if tools don't exist to hack the game that there hasn't been somebody interested enough to create them.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 30, 2013, 08:46:07 pm »
It's sad that SNES hacking is pretty much SMW, Zelda III or Final Fantasy IV. I wonder some day if we would see someone recreating Rondo of Blood using the engine of Dracula X, if it's possible at all.
Also adding a World 7 to SNES Yoshi Island that would have the six extra levels from the GBA version would be very neat. But that one will need hacking the save format, the menu, and dealing with the potential space constraints. It does have a level editor, but the hacks are yet to be seen .

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:36 pm »
I would love to see a couple of Mega Man 7 hacks
- one based on the cartoon that was made when Mega Man 6 (NES) came out
- a overhaul hack that's a homebrew port of the Wily Wars with Mega Man 7 included with a enhanced version of the tower

Chippy2000

• I'm the CREATOR Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha Revival!
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 01, 2013, 05:37:04 pm »
Well, I make Pokemon hacks and have NEVER seen a Capsule Monsters (CapuMon, Pokemon Red and Blue Beta/Alpha) revival.

I'm adding it into Pokemon Gold Beta/Alpha REVIVAL if I get enough people who support the idea. It may become a beta mashup soon if Capsule Monsters and Gen 1 beta/alpha get added. May go to future gens.

(Time for randomness) Want a cookie?  :cookie:

November 01, 2013, 05:42:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's sad that SNES hacking is pretty much SMW, Zelda III or Final Fantasy IV. I wonder some day if we would see someone recreating Rondo of Blood using the engine of Dracula X, if it's possible at all.
Also adding a World 7 to SNES Yoshi Island that would have the six extra levels from the GBA version would be very neat. But that one will need hacking the save format, the menu, and dealing with the potential space constraints. It does have a level editor, but the hacks are yet to be seen .

I was thinking about getting into SNES hacking but I'm in the middle of hacking the game I mensioned earlier. Maybe I'll hack Yoshi's Island later. To deal with space constraints you just expand the ROM if possible. It can be done on Pokemon Gold so maybe it's possible on Yoshi's Island :huh: ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:42:48 pm by Chippy2000 »
COO of The Chippy Cooperation (TCC)

I'm...just here...floating in space and stuff...

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 01, 2013, 09:18:29 pm »
Speaking of Pokémon, has anyone thought about replacing the cries of the Gen I and Gen II Pokémon in the GBA and DS games with the cries from the Pokémon Stadium games?

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »
Or perhaps with the cries used in X and Y, if anyone's able to rip those.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 02, 2013, 02:53:33 pm »
How about a overhaul hack of Chrono Trigger based of the Mike Jupp series "The Dreamstone"?

Midna

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:46 am »
Something I would emphatically love to see: hack Pokemon Puzzle Challenge and turn it into Panel de Pon GB as it was meant to be originally. There's still a few graphics, some music (at least the menu and Lip's theme), and even a bit of code left over in the PPC ROM, so at least some of the assets are taken care of.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:22:17 am by Midna »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 04, 2013, 11:35:35 am »
Here's a simple idea for someone with Castlevania Aria of Sorrow and ability to change a weapon's sprites (and some extra challenge for those with skill):
Change Handgun into Silver Gun and Silver Gun into Agartha (Albus's weapon in Order of Ecclesia). This would require some stats editing, but someone hacked those stats in a table once. And now...
+Optional Challenge: Add in different kinds of Agartha for different "Glyphs". Flame Demon Agartha, Demon Lord Agartha, Lighning Doll Agartha, Merman Agartha...