News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2521032 times)

Reiska

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #860 on: October 27, 2013, 07:30:22 am »
Has anyone ever considered a hack for the various Pokemon titles that forces all IVs to get set to a predefined value of the romhacker's choice?  Playing difficulty mods of Pokemon games made me think of this one, since retail Pokemon games are more or less designed to be beatable with Pokemon who have straight 0 IVs (after all, the game is designed for 6 year olds). but romhacks often expect you to pack something better.

Being able to "lock" the IVs of the pokemon caught by the player would provide romhackers another tool for balancing too (they could, for example, effectively strip out the IV system entirely by fixing all pokemon used by both player and AI at a uniform IV value).  I know there's at least one difficulty hack that removes all EV gains.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 27, 2013, 08:29:18 am »
Depending upon the game doesn't the IV system also dictate a few traits, gender and other such things?

Anyway I guess you could do it, it might not even be so troublesome as far as assembly hacks go. Being the lazy sort I would probably figure out where the random function is (wild guess it would be before the pokemon is generated at battle time*) and ignore it to set my own output result but you could go a bit further back if you wanted.

*NPC trades might be a different matter.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:25 am »
I have a splendid idea for a hack

How about a hack of Mega Man: The Wily Wars
- fix the remixes so they are faithful to their 8-bit counterparts
- fix all the bugs in the game
- remove the slowdown

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:52 pm »
Depending upon the game doesn't the IV system also dictate a few traits, gender and other such things?

Anyway I guess you could do it, it might not even be so troublesome as far as assembly hacks go. Being the lazy sort I would probably figure out where the random function is (wild guess it would be before the pokemon is generated at battle time*) and ignore it to set my own output result but you could go a bit further back if you wanted.

*NPC trades might be a different matter.

I don't know exactly how the code goes about doing it internally, but I do know that the game normally determines IVs, gender, nature, and ability by a series of XORs or somesuch upon a random unsigned 32-bit integer.  I would guess such a hack would want to muck with that routine and pass a static IV set to it regardless of the XOR results.

As far as I know, NPC trades have preset IVs that are the same in every playthrough (this is at least true as of gen 5).  I believe (but I'm not certain) that NPC trainers' pokemon for battle similarly get preset IVs (and, IIRC, they get all IVs set to the same number, which is configured on a per-trainer basis; for example, Cynthia has straight 31s I believe).

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 27, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »
Hello, I'm new here, but I think I came here with an idea on something to do.

You know, the american and european versions of Wild Arms 4 (PS2), have a problem that, while it doesn't affect the gameplay, it makes it impossible to perform a 100% run.

In those versions, the Dalawa Bunny and Accident Rabbit were removed from the game, but not from the monster list. But, instead of correcting the entries, the idea would be RESTORING THOSE MONSTERS.

For what I get, all one would have to do is to take those monsters on the japanese version and then put them on the american one, adapting them to the american ISO.

So, is this idea appliable? I refuse to shark my game in order to make it 100%.

Also, there is a bad bug that makes the game freeze when you use some Material Summons on the PAL version... not to mention the freeze on the Great Wall when in PAL mode...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, there is another idea, yet.

Have someone already thought at actually hacking the SNES version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in order to bring UMK Trilogy to the SNES? If they had done it with a measly version like the Genesis one, why not hack the SNES version, with better sounds and graphics?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:21:09 pm by Zero Dozer »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 27, 2013, 03:58:28 pm »
A spoof of Ocarina of Time where Ganondorf is made out to be a good guy.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 27, 2013, 06:07:54 pm »
I have a splendid idea for a hack

How about a hack of Mega Man: The Wily Wars
- fix the remixes so they are faithful to their 8-bit counterparts
- fix all the bugs in the game
- remove the slowdown
Is it really a fix rather than a change in the case of remixes?
How many bugs are there and what sorts of forms do they take?
Removing slowdown is an interesting task. Personally I would probably fork an emulator and do some game specific hacks to that instead. Unless it is just the PAL conversion induced slowdown that is trouble.
I had a quick scan of http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man:_The_Wily_Wars which covers some things, the speedups are largely taken care of (even on real hardware it is actually doable).
The per frame firing rates or stop, move delay and shoot thing might be a different matter though something that could make an interesting hack.

Hello, I'm new here, but I think I came here with an idea on something to do.

You know, the american and european versions of Wild Arms 4 (PS2), have a problem that, while it doesn't affect the gameplay, it makes it impossible to perform a 100% run.

In those versions, the Dalawa Bunny and Accident Rabbit were removed from the game, but not from the monster list. But, instead of correcting the entries, the idea would be RESTORING THOSE MONSTERS.

For what I get, all one would have to do is to take those monsters on the japanese version and then put them on the american one, adapting them to the american ISO.

So, is this idea appliable? I refuse to shark my game in order to make it 100%.

Also, there is a bad bug that makes the game freeze when you use some Material Summons on the PAL version... not to mention the freeze on the Great Wall when in PAL mode...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, there is another idea, yet.

Have someone already thought at actually hacking the SNES version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in order to bring UMK Trilogy to the SNES? If they had done it with a measly version like the Genesis one, why not hack the SNES version, with better sounds and graphics?

The word "all" in this context is kind of similar to using the word "just" when speaking to a tradesman fixing your house. Reading further into this (I had the dubious pleasure of a gamefaqs forum thread for this one, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/918840-wild-arms-4/26208150 for the others reading) it could well (I did not get too far into it) have been less simple bug and more actual work.
Would a less potent gameshark code (the ones being thrown about seem to be for "nearly all" monsters rather than just the necessary ones be more agreeable in the meantime?
Still at face value it is an entirely possible hack and quite a valid one.

On UMK3 trilogy why bother when there are some readily available and far more complete versions elsewhere (to say nothing of the stuff available for UMK3 and the collections there)?

A spoof of Ocarina of Time where Ganondorf is made out to be a good guy.

Are you talking straight spoof or can you get a bit greyer? I reckon you could do a fair line in it by just changing the text. Link being misguided and ultimately dooming everybody could work but a straight up Link is the bad guy would also do.

There are no text editors on the site but there are a few things http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=&platform=27&game=&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=&desc=zelda&utilsearch=Go and Zelda has been hacked up enough that you could probably find someone to point you in the right direction as far as text goes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlnCXv0UYjU apparently also has an editor.
The accounts for sound, some graphics and text (though they are probably not directly applicable to the GC version I believe it is an emulator used there so you might even have some luck if that is to be your base). Give that a go and you can probably at least get a prototype going on.

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 27, 2013, 06:23:13 pm »
The word "all" in this context is kind of similar to using the word "just" when speaking to a tradesman fixing your house. Reading further into this (I had the dubious pleasure of a gamefaqs forum thread for this one, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/918840-wild-arms-4/26208150 for the others reading) it could well (I did not get too far into it) have been less simple bug and more actual work.
Would a less potent gameshark code (the ones being thrown about seem to be for "nearly all" monsters rather than just the necessary ones) be more agreeable in the meantime?
Still at face value it is an entirely possible hack and quite a valid one.

Sorry, even with good english skills, I still make some mistakes.

About Wild Arms 4, let's say that I'm not in good terms with cheating, and the monsters' "inexistece" seems like a bug to me. If it's possible, I would like to see that correction and would thank you a lot for that.

On UMK3 trilogy why bother when there are some readily available and far more complete versions elsewhere (to say nothing of the stuff available for UMK3 and the collections there)?

Let's say that I find it really unfair that the Genesis UMK3 received such a fantastic hack and the SNES UMK3, with its superior graphics and sound, didn't get a single hack. I mean, come on, Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy is so majestic on such a console as the Genesis.

Also, the way how these guys put the MKT Cage into the game just proved that EVERYTHING is possible on a MK hack.

Another fantastic idea, one that would open the chances for UMKT, would be to put the entire MKT, with sounds and everything, into the SNES UMK3. The question is: why not try?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 27, 2013, 07:14:26 pm »
Sorry, even with good english skills, I still make some mistakes.

About Wild Arms 4, let's say that I'm not in good terms with cheating, and the monsters' "inexistece" seems like a bug to me. If it's possible, I would like to see that correction and would thank you a lot for that.

That was not a comment on your English skills but more of a glib remark ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/09/bofh_2012_episode_11/ for an example).

The lack of the monsters does count as a bug, especially when there are things it prevents you from doing (even if it is not game related). I am not a great PS2 hacker so I doubt I will be doing it any time soon, it was more to say "yeah it sounds like a doable hack" as opposed to some we get around here of things like "can I remake Halo on the NES?".

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 27, 2013, 07:27:01 pm »
That was not a comment on your English skills but more of a glib remark ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/09/bofh_2012_episode_11/ for an example).

Relax, I actually needed that remark XD

The lack of the monsters does count as a bug, especially when there are things it prevents you from doing (even if it is not game related). I am not a great PS2 hacker so I doubt I will be doing it any time soon, it was more to say "yeah it sounds like a doable hack" as opposed to some we get around here of things like "can I remake Halo on the NES?".

Well, cosnidering some things I've seen, it's possible, but demands some huge skills. I'd stick with WA4's monster fix XD, it's a more simple hack.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 27, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »
Super Nintendo isn't as easy to hack as the Genesis. The Genesis games are written in code that is widely understood by some people. So don't expect as complex hacks on SNES as on Genesis. At least as far as Mortal Kombat is concerned.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 27, 2013, 10:12:40 pm »
And what about adding the Priestess and Ninja characters to Cadash for Sega Genesis? This is a very good game...

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 27, 2013, 10:52:42 pm »
New hack idea: Pac-in-time (SNES) overhaul

Gameplay improvement (Like the PC/Mac counterpart)
New story of hacker's choosing
Pac-Man replaced by 2 playable characters: Sniff and Moomintroll

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 27, 2013, 11:35:21 pm »
Are you talking straight spoof or can you get a bit greyer? I reckon you could do a fair line in it by just changing the text. Link being misguided and ultimately dooming everybody could work but a straight up Link is the bad guy would also do.
Text only, I was thinking of both being good characters. I have ideas, but I'm not a particularly great writer. I messed with the text quite some time ago with a hex editor. Pretty easy, just takes a lot of time.

Deku Tree's death = old age or different source of curse.
Boulder blocking Dodongo's Cavern = Biggoron placed it there.
Ill Jabu-Jabu = fish was always an idiot.
Etc.

You do have to get creative for cutscenes featuring the man. Here's an example:

"Did you see where Zelda went? Tell me!" will have Link draws out his sword afterward. This is the cutscene at market town entrance after all 3 spiritual stones. Change this to something along the lines of:

"I will catch up with you at the Temple of Time, I have to go accompany Zelda and Impa for now. Hey, draw out your weapon and see if you can deflect my magic." Link draws out his sword. "Okay, here I go." It hits Link. "Oh, too slow! See you soon."

The story? Ganondorf could be regarded as some hero. Deku Tree and Zelda talked good things about him. After Ganondorf touched the Triforce, only to find it splitting, and finding that Link is the destined chosen one by the sword, he sort of snapped but struggles to maintain his good side. Some evil spirit came along, taking advantage of his weakened will. He gave in, and with his piece of Power, does evil shit like in the original game. We have to awaken the Sages to cleanse the evil spirit off Ganondorf by sealing him. Instead of cursing, he thanks Link and Zelda, looking forward to his return.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:16:28 am by Jeville »

Arcane Studios Dredge

• Aspiring Romhacker of the Bloodline
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:22 am »
How about hacking the NES pirate port of BioHazard (Resident Evil) to be as close to the original PSX release?
We've gotta move these refrigerators,
We've gotta move these colour TV's!

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 28, 2013, 08:01:52 am »
How about hacking the NES pirate port of BioHazard (Resident Evil) to be as close to the original PSX release?

There was a NES port of Resident Evil? o_O

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:35 pm »
Probably not worth getting too excited as it's a Nanjing game so it's probably based on the same RPG engine (they turned The Minish Cap into a turn-based RPG as well).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Arcane Studios Dredge

• Aspiring Romhacker of the Bloodline
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 28, 2013, 08:09:57 pm »
Probably not worth getting too excited as it's a Nanjing game so it's probably based on the same RPG engine (they turned The Minish Cap into a turn-based RPG as well).

It's by Waixing (the creators of the Phantasy Star IV NES port), not Shenzhen Nanjing. The battle system and some sprites however, were ripped from the GBC game Resident Evil Gaiden. Also, the NES port only has Jill Valentine as a playable character.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:19:58 pm by Arcane Studios Dredge »
We've gotta move these refrigerators,
We've gotta move these colour TV's!

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
Someone should hack the unofficial Sega Genesis version of Angry Birds and polish things up. Among other things:

• The birds all have the White Bird's launch cry. They should have their own cries like in the official games.
  • The Bad Piggies should be redrawn to look more like their current designs, as seen in the bottom row of the following image:

BMF54123

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 28, 2013, 09:21:44 pm »
Super Nintendo isn't as easy to hack as the Genesis. The Genesis games are written in code that is widely understood by some people. So don't expect as complex hacks on SNES as on Genesis. At least as far as Mortal Kombat is concerned.

As usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.