News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2099953 times)

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #800 on: September 02, 2013, 03:16:35 am »
Tengen's Ms. Pac Man though is vastly superior to Namco's own on the NES.  Even the audio is more accurate, but still not perfect.  One of my favorite things from Ms. Pac Man were the sounds.

I was also wondering, what would an NES conversion of MSX Metal Gear need?  Would it need any extensive assembly recodes, or would it mostly be a level layout hack?  I do know the NES version has a few trumps over the MSX version, such as the items being organized into groups as opposed to when you acquired them, or how you can walk right under the cameras and not be noticed, so maybe those could remain.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:55 am »
Tengen's Ms. Pac Man though is vastly superior to Namco's own on the NES.  Even the audio is more accurate, but still not perfect.  One of my favorite things from Ms. Pac Man were the sounds.

I was also wondering, what would an NES conversion of MSX Metal Gear need?  Would it need any extensive assembly recodes, or would it mostly be a level layout hack?  I do know the NES version has a few trumps over the MSX version, such as the items being organized into groups as opposed to when you acquired them, or how you can walk right under the cameras and not be noticed, so maybe those could remain.

1. I also suggested a full on conversion of Tengen's Ms. Pac-Man into Jr. Pac-Man (a cult classic arcade game that only had 2 or 3 ports, the last being on the 7800 [homebrewed that is])

2. as for converting Ultra's Metal Gear into a MSX Accurate version -- I can guess it might take a lot of time and whatnot to make it possible
I think it would be best for that sort of effort that if you gather a talented group of NES hackers to make it possible

FrankensteinsRobot

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 02, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »
Re-posting my ideas, because they are somewhat simple (I think) and would be SO AWESOME!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I recently added the Monster Party Prototype reconstruction hack to the site (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1516/) Theres only ONE missing aspect to this original version. In the prototype level 1 end boss stage, its supposed to be a 'Planet of the Apes' character on horseback which you can see in this video starting at 3:05- http://youtu.be/VRdlhjdZUZQ

The levels background has been reconstructed in the prototype hack, only the boss remains the stupid 'pumpkinhead ghost' where it should be the horse riding Planet of the Apes guy.....by any chance would anyone be willing to take on the job of putting this original boss back into this hack in order to make it the "complete" experience? This would make my LIFE if anyone can do this! I hear the PotA boss character is actually sitting in the games code still.....

Also, would anyone be up for doing a quick title screen hack of Contra Force to the original title Arc Hound, as seen in this video: http://youtu.be/CLGl-VBnv-8

I think that would be a cool title screen hack cause the game doesnt really feel like a Contra game, it should be Arc Hound!!!!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:16 pm »
How about a hack of the Namco version of Ms. Pac-Man

With these features
- All the features from the Tengen version
- Plays like the Tengen version
- Ms. Pac-Man Champion Edition (the arcade hack that was featured in the film "Man on the Moon") included as a feature
I think you could hack the Tengen version and get the first two features included. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »
Might be a silly idea, but... Someone could go and translate Fushigi no Dungeon GB. I heard it is basically Mystery Dungeon 2 but for Game Boy, so... More than half of it is done, right?

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 14, 2013, 03:20:16 pm »
How about a Mega Man hack with a overhaul
- rework the plot, enemies and main villain
- Rework the powers you can obtain

Maybe center it around a anthropomorphic Fox boy whom has lost all hope and is sent around the galaxy to obtain spirits of the guardians of the past which are locked away by android guards of evil to not only gain courage but also acquire friendship strong enough to defeat the main villain
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:32:03 pm by CyberFox »

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 15, 2013, 02:13:34 am »
I went over to a friend's house to play Friday the 13th for the NES.  I was kinda surprised at how deep the game actually is, but it could've been amazing with a few changes.

*Using the "Cure" option in an empty cabin makes you heal yourself.  In the normal game, it only allows you to heal one of your teammates in that cabin, if there's anyone there.
*When choosing your player, maybe they could display a box that lists their skill levels.  Rowing speed, jumping height, walk speed, etc.
*A "radar" that when you pause the game, shows you where each of the counselors are instead of guessing.
*Optional, but a graphical update would be neat.

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 15, 2013, 04:12:06 am »
*A "radar" that when you pause the game, shows you where each of the counselors are instead of guessing.
I would've rather gone backward with this: make it unknown who's in the cabin

Nice to see this thread still exists:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=12278.0
There's more interesting ideas there.

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 15, 2013, 10:25:55 am »
Reason I suggested the Radar is so that you can change your teammates around more reliably.  Maybe it could be a hybrid where it shows you which cabins are counselor cabins, but it doesn't tell you who it is.  It would be a moot thing to do as you find out who the counselor is as soon as you enter the building.

And increasing Jason's chances to show up outside would make the game way easier if you're fully powered up.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 15, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »
Yesterday I have beaten Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and noticed several things that annoys me. Perhaps one could go and make a hack that:
1. Turns "Dash ( R )" into Back Dash
2. Turns "Dash ( L )" into Special which does one of the following:
2.1. Special (tap) - Forward Dash
2.2. Special (hold) - Sprint (Allows you to run 2x faster while held, but slowly drains your MP)
2.3. Up+Special - Griffin's Wing
3. Turns Night Googles, Crushing Stone and Crush Boots into Relics (seriously, they are only "progress items" with barely any benefit). Crushing Stone would make any whip attack able to break cracked stone walls.
4. New Game+. Because sometimes we don't want to stop.
4.1 New Game+ Hard mode.
5. Make it so the enemies doesn't give less experience if you are too high-leveled (but, in turn, make it harder to level up).
6. Have Hard Mode also give a higher luck than normal (specially because it is already difficult to find Rare Ghost and to obtain certain items).

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow also could use Undine and Scylla souls being moved to Ability Souls list.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:35 pm »
May i suggest 2 overhaul hacks

Tengen's Ms. Pac-Man into a NES port of Pac-Man Collection
Circus Charlie into a NES port of Comic Bakery (the C64 version) but with more enhanced graphics

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #811 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »
I wish someone would make a bugfix patch for Final Fantasy IX. There's an annoying bug in this game. It affects Steiner's Thunder Slash, making the skill totally useless (always missing). It persists through the entire game.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:15 pm »
The later PAL versions of IX have Thunder Slash fixed, although I think it still deals 19% of Max HP damage which makes it nigh worthless anyway. The easiest fix would be finding its hit rate, and changing it (along with Iai Strike, Thunder Strike's hit rate was added onto that move). Of course making the movie viable would be something entirely different, dealing 190% of weapon damage with the thunder element would make it a weaker version of shock, which cost less MP.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #813 on: September 19, 2013, 07:27:58 pm »
The later PAL versions of IX have Thunder Slash fixed, although I think it still deals 19% of Max HP damage which makes it nigh worthless anyway. The easiest fix would be finding its hit rate, and changing it (along with Iai Strike, Thunder Strike's hit rate was added onto that move). Of course making the movie viable would be something entirely different, dealing 190% of weapon damage with the thunder element would make it a weaker version of shock, which cost less MP.
I don't know how to do that, though. I never hacked this game before.

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 19, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »
Replace the audio in "Tetris DX" on the GBC with the original, more familiar Russian music from "Tetris" on the GB. Some of it even survived a bit (http://tcrf.net/Tetris_DX)

These two threads from another forum (http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3124/ and http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3084/) indicate that you can add the extra HeartGold and SoulSilver GB Sounds music to Crystal Version. I can't figure out how to do this on my Mac though. Maybe someone can do it and release an ips patch

OneCrudeDude

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:38 am »
Replace the audio in "Tetris DX" on the GBC with the original, more familiar Russian music from "Tetris" on the GB. Some of it even survived a bit (http://tcrf.net/Tetris_DX)

These two threads from another forum (http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3124/ and http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/3084/) indicate that you can add the extra HeartGold and SoulSilver GB Sounds music to Crystal Version. I can't figure out how to do this on my Mac though. Maybe someone can do it and release an ips patch

The HG/SS tracks aren't written in assembly like the original soundtrack.  They were probably rendered with something else like FL Studio with a soundfont to make them sound like the older games.  There is no code to reference, you have to use your hearing to transpose them.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 20, 2013, 01:26:08 am »
Would it be as simple as decoding the Game Genie codes on that page into address/data pairs and inserting that into the ROM?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #817 on: September 20, 2013, 08:52:36 am »
I'd love a level editor for Monster World IV (or III, or II). Other features I'd hack into MWIV if I could:
-Allow for revisiting beaten areas
-Let Asha keep running when moving between screens (currently she stops so you need to double tap again)
-Set running to a button instead of double tap
-Add some momentum to the jumping mechanics (longer jumps when running)
-Re-implement the equipment system from the previous game, so you can switch between different gear without replacing it in shops
-Add more hidden stuff (hidden money in certain spots similar to WBIML, cracks in walls, hidden doors in the background etc.)
-Make the final boss tougher somehow
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:27:43 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:04 pm »
Two games I'd like to see redone are Final Fantasy III (NES) and Dragon Quest IV on SNES. You could use Final Fantasy V as a base for FF3.

With all the Mega Man hacks I've seen lately, I really think remaking the Gameboy games on NES would be an awesome idea.

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 21, 2013, 12:04:43 pm »
How about Rom hack of Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle where we see a mash up of the Famicom Disk System original "Roger Rabbit" and it's US brother "Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle"?