News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 2589106 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #740 on: July 14, 2013, 07:57:31 pm »
Someone should hack Space Station Silicon Valley to fix that glitch that prevents you from collecting one of the treasures.

Kushami

« Reply #741 on: July 15, 2013, 02:45:55 am »
Hi all,

I apologize if this is wrong, since I've made a lot of progress on this project and have hit stumbling blocks more than wanting people to do the whole thing for me, however I read in the rules asking for this kind of help in a thread other than this one is against the rules, so I opted to use this thread to be safe. That said, this post is kind of lengthy and if it's too long, please split it out into its own thread. If the mods don't mind me posting this in its own thread, please let me know as well... just trying to follow the rules to the letter for now.

Anyway, In my spare time I started working on undubbing/restoring the English version of Silhouette Mirage a long while back. Essentially make it play like the Japanese version, but with english text. For those that don't know, when this game came out in the US, Working Designs changed a bunch of things.

-They dubbed the game (which was a fairly decent dub, actually!)
-They changed how the saving system works. (which is fine, it just lets you save more. You can decline to save if you want the original experience.)
-They changed how the game mechanics worked (for the worse.): Shyna's gun now drains your power, shooting an enemy from the same side (silhouette on silhouette or mirage on mirage) drains theirs, but it's very disproportionate and heavily unbalances the game and breaks up the flow.
-They changed the price of items in the stores.
-They censored some (one?) of the textures to be less religious. I've only read about this.
-They changed the names of a lot of the characters and the weapons to seem less religious.

My goal for this project is to-

-Replace the English voices with the Japanese voices.
-Revert the game mechanics and item prices to their original state.
-Fix some of the translation mistakes. Like changing the gun names to the original sins, such as Priday going back to Pride or Pridee or whatnot.
-POSSIBLY replace the dialogue font with something less 1980s digital.
-POSSIBLY fix that changed texture.

I've made some progress! See here: http://youtu.be/EjHKUqLxyEU

And these:

http://twistygadget.com/projects/silhouettemirage/sm_namefixes02.png
http://twistygadget.com/projects/silhouettemirage/sm_namefixes03.png

Just, well, not enough. I realize I need help at this point. I've hit some stumbling blocks I know I won't be able to figure out. However, I have figured out a lot of stuff about the filesystem, how the game works, and so on. Some things I've learned about the game so far:

-Most graphics are not .TIM format. The only things that are in .TIM format for the most part are the menus, loading screens, and some incidental graphics. No idea how most graphics are stored.
-Repacking the US version of the game with larger files with new LBAs/TOC does not seem to break the game.
-A lot of the files in the US version are identical to the Japanese version. See here: http://twistygadget.com/projects/silhouettemirage/differences01.png
-For most of the level structures, they only changed the SND and STG data between US and JP. The other files are identical.
-For some reason, Working Designs accidentally left some of the Japanese stage 1 files in the directory for stage 2. Haha.
-Almost every file is a .bin, which I know is a pretty common container extension on games in general which a lot of the time have no actual relation to most other .bins in other games. I couldn't find anything that would open a Treasure style .bin since I doubt many people are into hacking Treasure games, though I'm pretty newb when it comes to understanding container formats just by looking at them in hex.

The way the game is laid out is as follows:

SLPS/US file
System.cnf
Directory 00 -> Contains Level 00 which is the tutorial, the main menu, and all the options screens. Clear level stuff I think too.
Directory 10-80 -> Contains the actual game levels.
 The most important files in these directories are:
  -SND##.BIN - Sound data.
  -STG##.BIN - Stage data.
  -V##A-E.BIN - Dunno. These seem to all be identical between the US and JP version though. I'm guessing they may be graphics?
  -S##.BIN - Dunno. Again. Identical between US and JP versions.
Directory 99 -> This contains the credits, game over screen, some other misc stuff.
C1/C2 -> I'm not sure what these are. However, everything in them according to KDIFF3 are byte identical between US and JP.
DA -> These seem to be bin files of the music in the game. Some are byte identical, some aren't. This is weird because the game seems to use redbook audio?
LOAD -> These are the special loading screens which only exist in the US version. They're all TIM files.
MV -> Contains the .STR movies.

How the stage files work, as far as I know:
 -For stage 1-3, the files for that would be STG13.BIN and SND13.bin, S13.BIN, and V13A-E.bin. All the files are split between their various stage #s.
 -The SND files are the sound for all of the stages, including all of Shyna's grunts, etc. They repeat, and all of the basic system ones seem to be in every SND.
 -So if you replace the US SND12.BIN with the Japanese SND12.BIN but not SND13.BIN, stage 1-2 will have Japanese voices, but not stage 1-3.
 -All the STG files seem to begin as a PSX EXE, so I'm pretty sure each STG file is a mini version of the game that contains almost everything it needs to run.
 -The STG files seem to contain all of the text for a scene.
 -The text seems to be packed in in plain ASCII with #00 placed between each letter. #20 seems to call up the weapon level in text. There's also color codes, but I'm not astute enough to understand it all yet.

-The STG files contain all of the gameplay changes that Working Designs integrated into the levels.
 -When you swap a US STG file with a Japanese one, the US game will play like the Japanese one, reverting the gameplay changes and store prices as well as the old save system.
 -This would be great... except when you run into any dialogue, it still tries to load the Japanese text but with the US text system. Which pretty much breaks that.

-The US STG files also contain the code which calls the new saving system that WD created, because when you swap in a JP file all the extra saving prompts are replaced with the original Japanese ones which just say 'Now Loading.'

Ideally, I just want to do the following:
 -Unpack and edit the US STG files with the portions of the JP STG files which will revert the gameplay mechanics changes. I'm GUESSING this would mean hard editing the EXE once it's unpacked, but I'm hoping that there'll be simple hex sections I can hopefully copy and paste maybe. Maybe. ;__; For this, I don't even know where to begin, and I'm hoping some kind soul might. Pretty much on the US version I just need to disable: energy drain from firing the weapon, and the energy filling from shooting a same-type enemy (shooting a silhouette on shyna's silhouette side, vice versa.) Maybe patching it another way would help?
 -Figure out how the pricing works in the store and revert the prices to how they are in the original game.
 -Find an easy way to search and replace the names in the text in the STG files. Right now it's plain ascii but with 00's between every letter, and I'm unsure if there's a way to make this more readable and easier to edit or search for. I've figured out what some of the codes mean between words (there's one to change the color to yellow, etc.) but not much else.
 -If there's a way to unpack and repack these files, that would be awesome, though from the looks of things it's all hard packed into the exe? I really don't know anything about zlib and whatnot, so I'm at a loss here.

Here are some samples of the US and JP stage one files, if someone here knows enough to take a look and help out. Or if you can refer me to someone who's done a bunch of PSX hacking that would be awesome too. I'm willing to compensate anyone if they end up building a tool or tools to help with this, though I'm not not a rich man by any means so keep that in mind.

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:39:12 am by Kushami »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 15, 2013, 11:15:58 am »
So I just read the "Croc: Legend of the Gobbos" started out as a pitch to Nintendo for a 3D Yoshi game, so... how about replacing Croc with Yoshi?

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 15, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »
Zelda 1 and 2, remade using the Link's Awakening/Oracles engine

This one does most of the graphics for the game boy version on Zelda 1.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1391/

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 15, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »
A hack that replaces the music in the Game Boy Advance version of Donkey Kong Country 3 with the music used in the SNES version. David Wise's new soundtrack is excellent as a whole, but it doesn't have that nostalgic appeal.

This would require a bit of ASM hacking unless you want Funky, Wrinkly, and the Banana Queen to all use the Brothers Bear music, among other such silliness.

santyclaus

« Reply #745 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »
This one is rather simple, recently i got a MP5 that can emulate Gameboy Color games. As a big fan of Pokemon i wanted to play Crystal, but i have the problem i cant manually edit the game time like on the other versions, so i have found this hack that allows me to.

(ROM link removed)

But also on further investigation i found here a "complete" version that allows me to catch Pokemons i wouldnt be able to get if i dont have a Cable Link (that now being impossible nowadays)

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1420/

So my request is:

Can someone edit that complete version of Pokemon Crystal for the Gameboy Color to allow me to manually change the in-game timer?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:07:01 am by KingMike »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 17, 2013, 12:08:44 am »
I don't know if it works, but the first thing I'd have tried is to make an IPS compaing that manual-clock hack ROM to an unaltered Pokemon Crystal ROM, then apply the patch to the "Complete" Crystal ROM.
It's probably worth a shot.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 20, 2013, 12:23:52 am »
Just came across this and thought about a Marvel themed Mega Man Hack where you play as Dr.Doom :D

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #748 on: July 20, 2013, 01:01:11 am »
In contrast, I totally wish megaman sprite-editing wasn't a "thing."

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 20, 2013, 01:05:03 am »
I hear that. Although it would be awesome if you were fighting villains of the marvel universe instead of just robots though. The code work would probably be ridiculous to do a ROM hack on though :(.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:42 pm »
I would like to see a hack for the Genesis version of Strider that restores Hiryu's yelling sound effect from the Japanese version and a Genesis version of the exclusive PC Engine level added as well.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:41 am »
Edit: Never mind (Game Genie).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:51:04 am by Jeville »

safaribans

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 21, 2013, 08:46:52 am »
I posted in this topic years ago... Of course I'm not going to read through everything. Here is my "ultimate" hack request:

Think of a game for your favorite system. One that was "almost" good. It's no Rockman, Zelda, nor Mario. It had just one "problem", crappy tile graphics, terrible sound engine, unfair difficulty (it's not an arcade machine asking for quarters, right?), poor controls, etc.

Fix said "problem". Take that one game that "could have been great if only programmers had done X, Y, and Z."

So improve that game, turn it from a rough-cut diamond (or piece of coal depending how bad the game really was) and polish it.

Release an improved version that people want to play over the original!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 22, 2013, 09:02:43 am »
For Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, change the generic cowboy to Sora and update the trivia.

GameWarrior2216

« Reply #754 on: July 26, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
Apologies if this has been posted before or if this is even possible but I was thinking about making an Ocarina of Time hard mode hack but I don't have the know-how or the patience so I was hoping someone here would take an interest to it(and do it for me :P). Here's my ideas on what it would be like:
  • Link receives double damage
  • Normal enemies have 3 times normal health
  • Bosses have 5 times normal health including Ganondorf
  • Ganon has 10 times normal health
  • If possible, more enemies added
  • Again if possible, fairies do not resurrect Link once HP is at 0(have to release them to heal)
  • Item drop rate halved to encourage buying over hedge farming
  • Dropped items values lowered(ex: 5 bombs to 2, 5 arrows to 3, 5 deku nuts to 2, etc

That's all I can come up with for now. I think it would be interesting to see how this would turn out since OoT was pretty difficult for me as a kid but a breeze as an adult.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 27, 2013, 09:29:13 pm »
  • Link receives double damage
Sure.

• Normal enemies have 3 times normal health
  • Bosses have 5 times normal health including Ganondorf
  • Ganon has 10 times normal health
No. It doesn't make them harder, just more tedious. Their AI needs changing, increasing attack speed can be one.

• If possible, more enemies added
No. Maybe for a few areas, but I won't suggest to make extensive use of this.

• Again if possible, fairies do not resurrect Link once HP is at 0(have to release them to heal)
Sure, and/or it recovers fewer hearts. Another suggestion: Milk has one helping instead of two, so no half-milk. Increase damage taken from drinking a poe.

• Item drop rate halved to encourage buying over hedge farming
No.

• Dropped items values lowered(ex: 5 bombs to 2, 5 arrows to 3, 5 deku nuts to 2, etc
What I would suggest instead is to decrease the maximum amount you can hold, and increase magic costs.

GameWarrior2216

« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2013, 01:26:37 pm »
No. It doesn't make them harder, just more tedious. Their AI needs changing, increasing attack speed can be one.

It's not to make them harder, it's to give you, the player, more time to screw up. As you said, their AI is too easy and thus can be beaten relatively quickly(normal version) but at least with more HP it feels tougher and maybe it just might be. Think of it as making OoT more like Dark Souls instead of any given Bethesda game.

Besides I don't want someone to reprogram the entire AI construct, just tweak a few variables here and there.

No. Maybe for a few areas, but I won't suggest to make extensive use of this.

After thinking about it, yeah I agree. I was just throwing in that idea in there.

Sure, and/or it recovers fewer hearts. Another suggestion: Milk has one helping instead of two, so no half-milk. Increase damage taken from drinking a poe.

I'm not sure about the milk thing, there are red/blue potions that can serve as a better substitute.

Also if it's not possible to disable fairy resurrection, then replace it with fairies healing only 1 heart instead of 7(?).

No.
What I would suggest instead is to decrease the maximum amount you can hold, and increase magic costs.

I haven't thought of your idea, it sounds pretty good actually. But hear me out on my shop-focused idea.

In OoT, there are shops but it's hardly used. There's also rupees but that too is hardly ever used. So here's my new proposal: no item drops whatsoever and instead use shops to refill ammo, potions, etc. But instead of farming for rupees from hedges, have Link acquire rupees from chests and also selling items to the beggar. That way it would make both the shops and potions more usable rather than stocking up on fairies and items for free. Plus it also requires planning ahead when using items and magic.

h3ndrix

« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »
How complicated is it to change a title screen for something like Lufia 2, to display Estpolis II's title screen? I have seen hacks for like Seiken Densetsu 3 that seemed simple enough, but things like Mother 2/Earthbound being complicated. Not really asking for a hack as much as curious about the process.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 30, 2013, 03:09:53 pm »
      Some Dynasty Warriors related ideas:
      • Dynasty Warriors Advance - Change the Power Up system to automatically upgrade each level and make it so it takes longer to get one upgrade (however the gain of point should be by hits rather than kills and overkills to balance it out)
      • Dynasty Warriors Advance - Add a way to unlock and play as other unique officers (Dong Zhuo, Sima Yi, Zhuge Liang, Yuan Shao, Sun Quan, etc) as well as Common Officers (example: Gan Ning) and Common Units.
      • Dynasty Warriors Advance - Remove "Close Call" punishment (Rather than "Lose two turns", have it drop force's morale instead)
      • Dynasty Warriors Advance - Improve "Triumph" reward for when the enemy attacks you rather than you attack the enemy (Along with minor health regain, improve allied forces morale)
      • Dynasty Warriors Advance - If possible, expand the Musou Mode, so it can have a bit more of variation and story to it (like Zhang Fei's should have him holding out on the bridge fiercely and then needs to find his way to the rest of the group by the docks before Cao Cao reaches him, and Cao Forces needs the chapter where they unite with Wu to kill Guan Yu after defeating Lu Bu at Xia Pi)
      • Dynasty Warriors Advance - Add Musou Charging
      • Dynasty Warriors (general) - Sounds dumb, but could be ponified. Think about this: Earth Ponies, Pegasi and Unicorns weren't all at the same side at some point, and they could respectively reflect Shu, Wu and Wei. So imagine if they never formed a solid alliance.
      • Dynasty Warriors (general) - Sounds crazy, but I would LOVE to see a bootleg demake of it. Question is: where?
      • Dynasty Warriors 6 - Permanent Full Renbu, please? Basically, one that makes the Renbu counter starts at the character's Max Rembu level and never drop.
      • Dynasty Warriors 6 - Give Hyper/Musou Armor to Lu Bu as part of one of his skills, maybe?

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:02 pm »
I'm not sure about the milk thing, there are red/blue potions that can serve as a better substitute.
Well, what can be attractive about milk (especially with your shop-focused idea) is the fact that you can get it for free from cows. As an adult, you can have one in your own house. Change Malon's best obstacle course time to make it harder?

In OoT, there are shops but it's hardly used. There's also rupees but that too is hardly ever used. So here's my new proposal: no item drops whatsoever and instead use shops to refill ammo, potions, etc. But instead of farming for rupees from hedges, have Link acquire rupees from chests and also selling items to the beggar. That way it would make both the shops and potions more usable rather than stocking up on fairies and items for free. Plus it also requires planning ahead when using items and magic.
Using the beggar as a source for rupees is a great idea, and makes the 100 Gold Skulltulas reward more valuable. We would want his prices to be tweaked of course, I mean, you won't want milk to sell for 300, right? I would have Blue Fire as the most valuable to sell (and tweak the shop's prices accordingly), and fairies/fish/bugs/milk to sell for considerably less. Then there are the mini-games to tweak the fee/rupee reward... If possible, have more of them to use a random prize generator that the Bombchu Bowling Alley uses.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:13:21 pm by Jeville »